Laughing religion off the planet with Pat Condell

Laughing religion off the planet with Pat Condell

With over 5 million hits on YouTube, and another couple of million on LiveLeak, Pat Condell is a leading voice of atheism on the internet. He is also a stand-up comedian, a playwright, a former lumberjack, a talk-show panelist, and a subscriber to The Freethinker.

We tracked the blaspheming infidel down to a garden shed in London and asked him a few questions.

The Freethinker: Your first Youtube video was a response to the Blasphemy Challenge. Was this your first foray into the world of internet video? If so, did you imagine that it would snowball like it did?

Pat Condell: Yes, it was. I didn’t know what to expect. I was looking for ways to publicise my stand-up show when I heard about the Blasphemy Challenge. It looked like fun, so I devised a little rant about how much I deny the holy spirit (quite a lot, as it happens), made the video in my garden shed and posted it on YouTube. The positive response convinced me that this was a medium I should explore further.

I didn’t know much about YouTube, but I guessed that most of the audience would be in America, so I made ‘Hello America‘ about how I see the relationship between our two countries. Again the response was very positive, especially from Americans. It was viewed thousands of times in a few days, and I realised I could reach a lot more people like this than in a lifetime of performing in small theatres. So I mothballed the stand-up show, much of which was topical anyway, and decided to make more videos.

Then somebody alerted me to LiveLeak, a site with a more newsy edge than YouTube. I posted my videos there and ‘The trouble with Islam‘ took off. To date it has had more than 1,750,000 hits, and with 380,000 on YouTube, it’s now been seen well over two million times.

FT: What do you like about internet video as a medium?

PC: It’s open to anyone. We no longer have to ask someone else’s permission to communicate with a wider audience.

I’ve been criticising religion for years, but only in comedy clubs. Whenever I tried to do it in the mainstream media I was censored, especially by the BBC where jokes about the subject are always heavily edited, and it’s virtually impossible to say anything at all about Islam.

The internet allows all of us to bypass these self-appointed gatekeepers and communicate our ideas without interference.

FT: How has becoming an “internet celebrity” changed your life?

PC: Thanks, but I’m not any kind of celebrity. I’m just speaking my mind. My personal life hasn’t changed, I’m glad to say, because I’m very happy with it as it is.

FT: Your attacks on religion in general, and Islam in particular, have led many people to describe you as “fearless”. Are you?

PC: No. I get death threats and I take them seriously. However, I’ve never responded well to bullies, and I have no intention of starting now.

FT: Christian evangelist Dinesh D’Sousa has accused you of being smug. How do you respond to this?

PC: People have called me a lot worse. I’d never heard of this guy until someone directed me to his blog. Since then I’ve read his book on Christianity, and I didn’t see anything in it to warrant respecting his opinion on anything, so he can call me whatever he likes.

FT: Do you still do stand-up?

PC: I haven’t worked the circuit full time for years. I wrote my last show specifically to say something about religion. Confronted first hand by the political correctness at the BBC, I felt the subject was being falsely represented and legitimate opinion was being censored. As a result, religion, and Islam in particular, was getting an inflated idea of its own importance. Stand-up was the medium I knew best, and as I didn’t see anybody else in the comedy world queuing up to address this situation I elected myself.

FT: How would you describe your personal philosophy?

PC: I’m a vegetarian and I strongly support animal rights. (I hope that’s OK with Jesus.)
I find it hard not to smile at religion’s conceit that we’re superior to animals on the basis that we have souls and they don’t, when five minutes in a slaughterhouse would convince anyone that, if anything, it’s animals who have the souls and human beings who don’t.

As for my opposition to religion, it’s not about theology – I couldn’t care less whether God exists or not – it’s a civil rights issue. I believe everyone should be free to determine their own experience in life and not have it imposed by someone else. We don’t need our reality filtered through religious dogma any more than we need spring water adulterated with chemicals.

FT: What is your favourite thing about religion?

PC: If nothing else it is genuinely inclusive. Nobody is rejected, as it doesn’t require intelligence, only faith. Not that some intelligent people aren’t religious. There are people with biochemistry degrees who devote their lives to proving Genesis true. Nobody could call those people unintelligent, but they are fools.

The best thing about religion is that it’s so transparently absurd it can’t possibly last forever. I’m convinced it will only take a small shift in human consciousness for it to be laughed off the planet, and I hope I’m still around when that happens.

FT: What about the future? Will we see a collection of your videos on the market?

PC: Yes. The Richard Dawkins Foundation is issuing a non-profit DVD of my first thirty-five videos which should be out soon.

FT: What can we do to resist the growing influence of religion?

PC: We can speak out. That’s what the internet is for, and it’s the only reason my voice is being heard. We need to make as much noise as religious people do, and with as much certainty about our right to do so.

Nobody should be bullied into showing respect they don’t think is deserved. If you hear somebody claiming special treatment because of their faith you’re entitled to say: ‘No, I object to this. It offends me, it insults my beliefs, and it’s a violation of my human rights.’

Use their tactics if you feel strongly enough. Make a nuisance of yourself. Make an official complaint. Take it to a tribunal. As an atheist you’re part of a minority whose beliefs are constantly ignored and marginalised while religious prejudice is pandered to and encouraged, and you have every right to be offended by that.

Also, I would urge everyone to join the National Secular Society and the British Humanist Association, both of whom do excellent work in the cause of sanity.

Remember, one person on their own can’t do much, but a million people each doing a little every day can change things very quickly.

UPDATE (1/4/08): Here is Pat’s latest video, a comment on the uproar surrounding Geert Wilders’ anti-Koran film Fitna:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3_qelW5qp4[/youtube]

175 Responses to “Laughing religion off the planet with Pat Condell”

1. Randy Lee says:

This is a reply to Joe who didn’t die when he fell off the mountain, and whose wife may have had the great good fortune to survive a deadly cancer.
    Joe! Think!!! Which is more important? For one person to survive cancer by a “miracle”, OR, for cancer to be cured by science. WELL??? Hundreds of thousands if not millions of very religious people have died of cancer. WTF good, other that for your family, is the god-damned miracle? ALL those other people are still dead and dying, aren’t they? Do I blame their deaths on religion? You better believe it, Bucko! This world has made a lot of progress in the last 500 years. We live longer, a poor person in Europe or the US is a prince compared to the way things used to be, we don’t starve as much, and many diseases have been eradicated. That said, please, just for one moment, try to imagine how much better the world would be if millions and millions of us had not wasted their lives living in the borderline psychopathic fantasy called religion, that for most of them was shoved down their throats by their parents, victims of the same trauma, and so forth genreration after generation, ad nauseaum. THINK MAN!

2. Randy Lee says:

(cont.) THINK MAN! The person who could have cured your wife’s cancer may well have been a victim of a suicide bomber, or perhaps just wasted his or her life praying to nothing. But see, if he or she hadn’t been wasted by religion, then the cure would have been there, not just for your wife, but for every victim of that horrible disease. My friend, in 2008, most of the evil and strife in this world is caused by one thing, religion. IT NEEDS TO STOP, NOW!!!!!

Let me expand on that last idea, just a bit. I did not say ALL the evil and strife. I said most. But the thing is, as long as we have the big evil and strife factory called religion going full steam, how are we ever going to get the energy to deal with the rest of it? The thing is some evil and strife we can end with force. But not religion. We can only end it by speaking the truth every chance we get, refusing to back down or be afraid, and laughing and laughing. If “they” and, you Joe, join the laughter, great. If not maybe tomorrow…

But, in the meantime, remember what I said, “speaking the truth, refusing to back down.” No more politely biting our tounges when people spout that mind poison. I am thinkg that protest marches at church services is about the right thing for the next step. Why should they sit in the church feeling all smug and superior when in fact they are the problem we all have. Not to mention the mental violance done to the poor innocent kids in Sunday “school”.

Joe, you can take away the hell fire, but what remains is still mind poison. Faith is the willfull refusal to think on the basis of sensory evidence and instead to obey on the basis of the words of others. You may think that your survival of the fall was miraculous, but, how does that help anyone else? Do you have a secret prayer that will save any falling climber? No, of course you don’t. My friend, you were just lucky. There was no “intervention” The people who said so are just lazy-mindedly refusing to struggle to analyize their perceptions to attempt to reason how you survived.

But for a moment, let’s take the opposite viewpoint. Let’s say there was an intervention. Pardon me, but WTF is so god-damned special about you. I am sure you are a nice guy and all, maybe even helped an old lady across the street once, but, look pal, you aren’t the guy who cured cancer or ended the income tax are you? SO WHY YOU? Of all the climbers who take a fall and die, why are you so deserving over those others? Obviously you are not. So, the conclusion is that either there was no intervention, or, if there is, that God is an idiot savant, like a little kid playing with guns, only they’re real. He might shoot you or he might not. No telling, is there? WE SHOULD WORSHIP THIS?

3. Marcus says:

Tom 3, when I asked for proof, I meant PROOF! God’s words in the Bible offer no more proof of an afterlife than Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings is evidence for the existence of Hobbits. In fact, I am more inclined to believe in Bilbo Baggins than I am in the psychotic god of the xtians.

4. colin nicholas says:

We need you Pat. You make your points so forcefully and sensibly, the blatant obviousness becomes inescapable.

5. Mark Briley says:

Pat, I stumbled across your videos while searching for posts containing Christopher Hitchens’, and might I say I enjoy your “rants”. I find them refreshingly honest, and expressed with a nice blend of wit and humor. Keep it up.

6. Niklas says:

Im very thankful that individuals like Condell help our society from taking the death leap into blind stupidity, just because they every scientific and cultural progress, which would have never happened in conjunction with blind faith, we have made for granted.

Thanks for standing up for us Pat!

7. Torgeir Hansson says:

Dear Mr. fisherman hating evil Condell Kafir (Kefir?):

You believe in animal rights do you? And this I suppose will probably drive you to CONDEMN me and MY BROTHERS for catching salmon and trout, and giving them the soreness of jaw as it was written that is our RIGHT and our PURPOSE, as again written, I think, in the HOLY BOOK? (well, there’s over seven thousand of them so let me get back to you on exactly which one it is I am referring to in this specific CASE.)

WE ARE MANY, WE HAVE SHARP FISH HOOKS. BE VERY AFRAID. WE ARE COMING FOR YOU WITH OUR SPEY RODS (some with the top section tied to the lower ones in a cross shape for added scariness), A WAVE OF GREEN TWEED STRETCHING AS FAR AS EYE (I?) CAN SEE, RIGHTEOUS UNDER PETER OUR LORD, THE GREAT KILLER OF THE FINNED SWINE IN THE SEA OF GALILEE. OUR PRIESTS (rather smallish brass clubs designed for the purpose of killing these finned swine as it were)ARE IN OUR HANDS. WE SHALL WIELD THEM ON THE INFIDEL TRIBE OF YOUR LIKE (ilk?) THAT DARKEN OUR DOORSTEP WITH OPPRESSION AND VILE WATERCRESSED TOMATO SANDWICHES.

I think so at least. But everyone is so busy these days, it really is hard to get a good mob together.

No offense. We really do hate you, or at least we don’t like you as much as we could if you understood our RIGHT TO DRESS IN RUBBER AND PLAY WWITH FEATHERS.

Well, don’t go away now. We really need an enemy you see, so keep it up there old chum.

P.S. You may have noticed that the Apostles counted their catch with the greatest accuracy after their fabled Jesus-aided catch on the Sea of Galilee. It proves without question that this part of the Bible is true. That is EXACTLY what any fisherman would do, although I am a little concerned about the rather generous bag limit.

8. intelligent says:

What a ugly fool this guy is, i hope he does well, so he can sort out teeth

9. James Crawley says:

Pat is great!! I absolutely love Pat Condell!! Pat is great because he does tell the truth about religious zealots!
    I believe that People of all races and nations should have the right to question religions motives, and Pat gets right in these “zealots” faces,and speaks his mind! I have to say I love him for that. Pat is Great! Let’s all worship Pat Condell! (question)for Pat; I would just like to know do you believe in some different form of a higher Deity?

-James,American
    from Virginia.

10. Bilbo Baggins says:

In response to Winston Churchill’s statement about Christianity being a peaceful religion. If it is so peaceful how do you define the actions taken in the inquistion, the crusades and the numerous “HOLY?” Wars?

11. Arnold says:

i knew i waz an atheist ever since i waz a child but i never thought about voicing that opinion. most of us are afraid of doing so and we just live our livez accepting thingz the way they are. but when i saw Pat’s videos on youtube i felt az if i had found some kind of heroic figure. and i waz so glad to see that there were so many of us supporting him. it givez me hope that maybe someday we can leave religion in the fiction section of the library.

12. A-milner@zpost.plala says:

Clearly in a different league to Christopher Hitchens, but even more quotable. Lot of mileage in, “Was Jesus gay?”. Wonder how Pat would stand up in debate, but presumably he realises which forum suits his style best. Really great one-liners you can use to rattle the bars of those pompous, two-dimensional Bible humpers the write for the Times and Telegraph. Interesting that these religious correspondents occasionally break off from theology and gratuitously lecture us mug-punters on how even thinking that 9-11 was an inside job is akin to insulting the memory of the victims. Guess if you’re gullible in one way you’re likely to be naive in others. But jokers like Damian Thomson and Rev. George Pritchard are likely to be standing up without a chair when the music stops. “With or without a blindfold, sunshine?”

13. Jennifer says:

Pat Condell is the highlight of my youtube life. I always look forward to his new videos.

14. Brandon says:

A friend recently clued me into Pat’s gig and I am pretty sure I have at long last found my lord and saviour. I used to be “lightly salted,” then I dabbled with Pastafarianism (invisible spaghetti monster in the sky and all that) a while back, but now I am solidly converted to the gospel according to St. Pat.
    Having read the bible, I am confounded as to how any intelligent sort, excluding those indoctrinated as children, can see anything but backward ancient mythology written by cave men with spurious morals. Yet having said that, I think I can offer some enlightenment for both sides of the faith fence. For the atheist folk, Pat is a Godsend. He’ll Keep telling it like it is for as long as the guilty allow him. For the faithful who find Mr Condell’s efforts disturbing and offensive, read your bible. It is meant to be. Do you presume you know your God’s mind? Your “good book” boasts (often and repeatedly and at several junctures in the telling) that your God is all knowing, all powerful and has a plan for all things. You dare to assume Pat’s “rants” are not part of the plan? Shame on you. The faithful should just step back and let the lord get on with it. I for one hope Pat keeps on keeping on for some time yet.

15. pinkwoolf says:

Joe, you were a non-believer? Most non-believers I know wouldn’t hit on the idea to ask God about anything in the first place because, eh, they don’t believe in him.
    Miracles? What about the countless believers who fell off trees, rooftops and what not and got killed in the process?
    You don’t want to burn in hell? Keep cool, man, you won’t.

16. James C. says:

Hello! to the ones who love to attack Pat Condell. I just have to say before you harshly criticize Pat; Why don’t you just try to listen deeply into what he is actually saying? Hey people, he is basicly speaking on his rights of freedom to live life in his own country the way he want’s with out any kind of overzealous religious nut case(Not just Muslim,or any one)telling him or his loved ones how they should live. That’s the whole thing! Why can’t people understand that not everyone is the same?! Some people need faith and some need provable facts! All Pat Condell really wants(if you really pay attention to to him), is a peaceful life with out having to live his own life by the rules of some other person’s faith that is not his own! Ask yourself; Is that so wrong or evil or even racist to just simply want to live a free and happy life for yourself, with hearing sombody’s damned beliefs ALL OF THE TIME?!!!

James C.
    American
    (No, Iam not Brittish! I just like what Pat Says!)

17. geodancer says:

To Pat: Wonderful stuff. Straight-forward, uninhibited, honest. Great to hear what hasn’t been said because of political correctness gone too far.

To James C. (posted Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 5:41 am): Excellent reminder of the core of Pat’s message. Thanks for that :)

To colin nicholas (post of Friday, May 2, 2008 at 12:49 am): Fantastic! “It’s not so much the emperor has no clothes, it’s that the clothes have no emperor.” I think this captures the soul (!) of religion, that any set of prejudices are waiting to wear any cloak that will impress the would-be followers.

To Flerndip (post of Friday, April 4, 2008 at 1:06 pm): Sometimes people dismiss athiesm as a kind of religion, just not theirs. This infurates me. I have tried and tried to come up with a response, without success. Yours is perfect: “If atheism is a creed, then abstinence is a sexual position.” A thousand thanks to you!

18. Contib says:

I translated this interview into Hebrew. It is shown on my blog, on this permlink: http://israblog.nana10.co.il/blogread.asp?blog=451565

19. Andrew Milner says:

People are slow to change. Remember how they resisted wearing seatbelts? Drink-driving? Unleaded petrol? Smoking in enclosed environments? Greasy food? Fur coats? Taking a shower or bath daily? Not wearing condoms for casual sex? Holding sporting events on Sunday?
    All this is within the last couple of decades. So if we can get with the programme in these areas, dumping religion in the trash can of history should be a piece of cake.

20. Jimmy says:

Thanks Pat Condell
    A voice of sanity out there. Down here in Australia you will be pleased to hear church attendance is falling, finally people have switched on their bullshit meters and realised we dont need them or any religion for that matter.
    We have just had a visit from the chief bigot himself (the pope) for an event called world youth day in Sydney, nothing more than a taxpayer funded ($80 million) catholic recruitment crusade. nuf said..

21. Thank you for what you’re doing, Pat. As a Canadian, I especially enjoy your comments about the Human Rights Commissions (more accurately, Freedom Removal Commissions) that infest this land. Keep up the good work.

22. Andrew says:

I’m sure Pat Condell speaks for the vast majority of ordinary people in the UK (and Europe for that matter) who are affraid to say what they really think in case the politically correct minority label them a “racist”.

Pat Condell gets my vote every time, he’s a superb speaker and I hope he continues to do what he’s doing, superb.

(word of warning though Pat, don’t go to Riyadh for your hols!)

23. [...] a narrow-minded right-wing Christianist, it might be supposed I’d be railing on Pat Condell, noted atheistical infidel and outspoken YouTuber. That’s just how we are, after all. Sorry to disappoint, but here at FreeMarkSteyn we’d [...]

24. D Sagan says:

Pat.. Please put up a support petition for non-Brits, so we can show our support too. If this insanity can strike the foundation of western society then it will then infect other parts of the FREE thinking world.

If they want to believe in fairy tales and boogie men, so be it, but lets not let them spread their insanity to others.

Life is not a supernatural eternity test.

If there was a god s/h/it would laugh its ass off at the believing fools.

Of course insanity is contagious when it is spread by the belief in myth.

Peace to you too, Pat.

Just another American citizen $cewed by the government.

It will be just a matter of time, when we will be forced to bail out Allah, Jesus and Santa Claus.

25. D Sagan says:

Read the book that will reveal the secret of the Joke book.

AKA: the bible

26. D Sagan says:

learn how all this desert myth insanity got started.

step one…create a myth
    step two… hide it in plain site
    step three…sell it to all the fools

27. D Sagan says:

The Joy of Freedom

When I became convinced that the Universe is natural — that
    all the ghosts and gods are myths, there entered into my brain,
    into my soul, into every drop of my blood, the sense, the feeling,
    the joy of freedom. The walls of my prison crumbled and fell, the
    dungeon was flooded with light and all the bolts, and bars, and
    manacles became dust. I was no longer a servant, a serf or a slave.
    There was for me no master in all the wide world — not even in
    infinite space. I was free — free to think, to express my thoughts

— free to live to my own ideal — free to live for myself and
    those I loved — free to use all my faculties, all my senses —
    free to spread imagination’s wings — free to investigate, to guess
    and dream and hope — free to judge and determine for myself —
    free to reject all ignorant and cruel creeds, all the “inspired”
    books that savages have produced, and all the barbarous legends of
    the past — free from popes and priests — free from all the
    “called” and “set apart” — free from sanctified mistakes and holy
    lies — free from the fear of eternal pain — free from the winged
    monsters of the night — free from devils, ghosts and gods. For the
    first time I was free. There were no prohibited places in all the
    realms of thought — no air, no space, where fancy could not spread
    her painted wings — no chains for my limbs — no lashes for my
    back — no fires for my flesh — no master’s frown or threat — no
    following another’s steps — no need to bow, or cringe, or crawl,
    or utter lying words. I was free. I stood erect and fearlessly,
    joyously, faced all worlds.
    And then my heart was filled with gratitude, with
    thankfulness, and went out in love to all the heroes, the thinkers
    who gave their lives for the liberty of hand and brain — for the
    freedom of labor and thought — to those who fell on the fierce
    fields of war, to those who died in dungeons bound with chains —
    to those who proudly mounted scaffold’s stairs — to those whose
    bones were crushed, whose flesh was scarred and torn — to those by
    fire consumed — to all the wise, the good, the brave of every
    land, whose thoughts and deeds have given freedom to the sons and daughters of
    men and women. And then I vowed to grasp the torch that they had held, and
    hold it high, that light might conquer darkness still.

by Robert Ingersoll

28. [...] debate of sorts. At the bottom of the post she linked to some videos by British ex-comedian, Pat Condell in which he has chat about why he is an [...]

29. veronica timperley says:

Another fantastic video, Pat. My only gripe is that there aren’t enough of them. I could do with one a week to cheer me up and to remind me I’m not alone and not the only one who DOESN’T seem to be a religious nut.
    This week sees the concerning news that 30% of teachers would like to be able to teach creationism alongside other religious indoctrination – I’d love to hear your views on that – and the fact that the president elect of the USA STILL has to kow-tow to the religious right, and swear allegiance to “God” when he takes up his post. Is there no hope for us all?
    More, more, MORE please of your wonderfully enlightening appearances.

30. Robert Gruner W says:

Thanks Pat.. you´re the Voice.

31. alex says:

Good on ya Pat! Keep dishin’ it out to those morons!

666

32. [...] Läs en intervju med Pat Condell på The Freethinker [...]

33. Baa says:

Religion is one thing; apprehension of and connection to the divine, quite another. so many comments speak about bigotry and mind control, that’s backward thinking. In stillness and silence a person can become aware of the something other than, as well as the power of their own ego – that small fearful ranting voice that demands to be god, hence the increase in STD’s, violence and the you hurt me and I’ll kill you mentality. You limit your own evolution – you simply do not want to connect: Read the new physics, consider evolution and the action of the prion on DNA/RNA. Your ideas of ‘God’ are so very small and limiting, but then you (male) have suppressed, robbed, murdered, tortured and raped you’re way through history.

34. Gunnar Einvik says:

At first came Pat Condell. Then…nothing. Later; the Universe…..

35. John Cooney says:

My favourite catholic joke !!!

Q: How do you define a catholic ?

A: Somebody who prays in church on Sunday
    and preys on their neighbours during the week !

36. Wizzard says:

BAA, if there is a ‘god’, then it’s going to be nothing like the deity proposed by the Abrahamic faiths. Plain and simple.
    Personally, although classified as an aethiest, I’m a druid, and hold the planet and sun that sustains us to be worthy of appreciation.
    Too many defile the very soil and air upon which life depends.
    However, the earth and the rest of creation does not demand praise, and will not punish us for failure to do so.

Consider this rather old saying attributed to Chief Seattle:
    “Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself”.

37. lauren says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for so eloquently and comedically bringing atheism “out of the closet”.

38. Risto says:

Good work Pat! No, actually this is ESSENTIAL work. Much kudos to you…

39. Janet Greene says:

I support Pat Condell 100% and I admire his ability to reach out to such a wide audience. I am a “closet atheist” – passionate in my views (as a former christian fundy) but I feel that I can’t come out in my life because it will hurt christians around me. Particularly my parents. They will try even harder to convert me; my dad constantly says I should read the bible more. How can I explain that the more I read, the more it violates my sense of justice and common sense? How the murders, rapes and genocides in the bible are repugnant to my sense of morality? How I believe that when we accept that we are “fallen” we become that? That the way to become good is to start to see ourselves that way? Everyone knows that when you tell a child he is good, he is likely to make that a reality. Tell a child he is sinful and fallen, and someone had to be tortured to death to “save” him from eternal hellfire, can anyone really tell me that this is “good news”??? I say that the good news is that the bible is a terrible myth, written by ignorant and superstitious nomads thousands of years ago. It’s incredible to me that intelligent people in 2009 still believe this toxic crap.

40. james boag says:

I think your just a delight!!

41. Drew says:

Islam is a 7th Century cult of psycho-political-violence and cutting off of many & varied body parts. It is not a religion at all..it is far too gross, hates all that is not muslim, and full of violence and hatred. It has no place in Europe in the same way the nazi’s had no place.

42. One thoughtful person says:

I am surrounded by Christians and I cannot bring myself to confront them about their faith. I am scared by the fact that intelligent and successful people have even got the time of day for such nonsense! What is that all about?? I shall not rub these people up the wrong way, they would surely call me a renegade, anti-establishment etc, but i am just a normal person who makes a habit of engaging my brain, being open to the world of science and rational thinking. Science proves that the world wasn’t made in 7 days and that Eve wasn’t made from one of Adam’s ribs. The bible is littered with similarly ridiculous claims, and they want us to have faith in it??

The way I see it is that religion is in conflict with the advancement of civilization – in learning about our world. I guess there are some people who are terrified of the truth and a lot more like me that conform in order to keep the status quo. Not all atheists are evangelists (well apart from the odd note like this, but i guess i am predominantly preaching to the converted). I hope that one day Pat will gain enough support and make the option of not believing in a religion, a valid alternative! I guess that the bigots with their religious dogma will keep up their lobbying and the government will remain terrified of breaking with tradition.

43. bas boon says:

You rock Pat

Love your work

Peace

44. Colin Wilson says:

It’s so utterly refreshing to hear someone state clearly and with fantastic wit, what I’m sure most of the population think even if they don’t have the will or the guts to voice their thoughts about all religions in general and in particular Islam.

If only we had clear thinking, well balanced men like Pat in government.

Any chance we could persuade you to go into politics pat?

45. Martin Hanson says:

Pat Condell is one of the shining lights in Britain today. The first time I heard him I wanted to fall down and worship him – until, just in time, I remembered I’m an atheist.
    One of the best points he makes is that those who complain that criticism of Islam are guilty of blasphemy would themselves be guilty of blasphemy, since they are implying that God (were he/she/it to exist) is so small-minded that he/she/it is upset by us mortals. I’m waiting for a leading atheist to take out a lawsuit against one of those who complains about one of these ‘blasphemers’, and sues him or her for – you’ve guessed – blasphemy.

46. [...] La meilleure chose dans la religion, c’est qu’elle est si clairement absurde qu’elle ne pourra probablement pas durer pour toujours. Je suis convaincu que ça ne prendra qu’une petite variation dans la conscience humaine pour qu’elle soit définitivement ridiculisée et expulsée de la planète, et j’espère que je serai encore là le jour où ça se produira. Pat Condell [...]

47. jimburn says:

Stewardess sacked after refusing to wear Islamic robe
    An air stewardess has been sacked after refusing her airline's demand to wear traditional Islamic dress and walk behind male colleagues in Saudi Arabia.

By Duncan Gardham
    Last Updated: 3:41PM BST 26 Apr 2009
    Lisa Ashton, who worked for BMI, was told that she was expected to wear the abaya, a long black robe that leaves only the face uncovered, when she was out in public in the Gulf state.
    She was also told that she should walk behind male colleagues irrespective of their rank, in order to conform with the social codes of the conservative country.

Miss Ashton was instructed to consider the abaya as part of her uniform when flying to Saudi Arabia.
    But she told her managers that she considered the requirement discriminatory, and was worried that Saudi Arabia was not safe to travel to because of the danger of terrorist attacks.
    "It's not the law that you have to walk behind men in Saudi Arabia, or that you have to wear an abaya, and I'm not going to be treated as a second-class citizen," she said.
    "It's outrageous. I'm a proud Englishwoman and I don't want these restrictions placed on myself."
    Miss Ashton, 37, had been working for the airline for nine years when they began their service to Saudi Arabia in 2005.
    She was earning £15,000 a year and flying to India, the Caribbean and the United States from her base in Manchester but was horrified to read details of the regulations for staff working on the new route.
    Staff were given abayas and required to wear them when leaving the aircraft.
    A document circulated to staff said: "It is expected that female crew members will walk behind their male counterparts in public areas such as airports no matter what rank."
    Miss Ashton, a practising Christian, was advised by union officials that the abaya was considered part of the uniform and she could face disciplinary action if she did not wear it.
    She said she did not want to fly to Saudi Arabia and the firm offered to transfer her to short-haul flights, which would involve a 20 per cent pay cut, an offer she declined.
    For some time she was allowed to continue flying to her normal destinations but in June 2007 she was told she was on the rota to fly from London to Saudi Arabia and when she refused to fly she was dismissed.
    In her letter of dismissal, BMI said it was "proportionate" to ask female employees to walk behind men out of respect for Saudi culture.
    An employment tribunal in Manchester earlier cleared BMI of sexual discrimination saying it was justified in imposing "rules of a different culture" on staff.
    It ruled there was no evidence that women would regard BMI's requirements on wearing the abaya, or walking behind men, as "placing them under any disadvantage."
    Although many western women do wear the abaya in Saudi Arabia it is not the law and many expats say it is a myth that women are expected to walk behind men.
    Miss Ashton, who has gone on to launch a music career, has consulted Liberty, the human rights organisation, and may seek a judicial review of the decision.
    She said one of her first songs, Shame, Shame, Shame, was inspired by her experience with BMI.
    The airline was unavailable for comment.

48. Andrew Milner says:

Pat, please expedite the next clip. The suspense is killing me.
    How about one criticising the Daily Telegraph and Times for trying to buttress the indigenous culture/religion against an Islamic onslaught? Can you believe they have a “Faith” section without equivalent space to facilitate the alternative view? Government in the role of Sorcerer’s Apprentice create the problem with their misguided multiculturalism. Belatedly realise that it isn’t going to work, so switch to “celebrating cultural diversity”. So arm-twist the broadsheets to have them pull government chestnuts out of the fire.
    The obvious answer is to legislate all religions out of all aspects of public life in UK. Do a Henry VIII and grab back all that prime real estate “owned” by the Church. Save a bundle on grants and the special treatment Christianity enjoys. And joy of joys, those religious parasites that claim to know the mind of God might have to get a real job. “You want fries with that?” Because if you want to practice a religion, do it in the privacy of your own home. Like homosexuality.