Mugabe – a good Catholic dictator … just like Hitler!

NOTICE the book in Robert Mugabe’s hand when he was hastily sworn for a sixth term as President of Zimbabwe? Yes folks, the lunatic dictator – a devout Catholic – was clutching a Bible.

Mugabe is 84-years-old, and with any luck will soon be dead. And when he does finally turn up his toes, what’s the bet that religious revisionists, shaking their heads over the destruction he wreaked on his country, will vilify him as an atheist – just as they do now in respect of that other great Catholic dictator, Adolf Hitler.

For the moment though, Mugabe remains in good standing with the Roman Catholic Church, a point emphasised by Christopher Hitchens in a piece he recently wrote in Slate Magazine.

He asked:

What is it going to take before the Roman Catholic Church has anything to say about the conduct of this member of its flock? Mugabe has been a devout Catholic ever since his days in a mission school in what was then colonial Rhodesia, and one is forced to wonder what he tells his priest when he is asked if he has anything he’d like to confess.

Attention was drawn to the Hitchens piece by the Roman Catholic Blog – and drew this response in its comments section by an arrogant Catholic wacko – and homophobe to boot – called Zeth, who leaped to Mugabe’s defence with these breathtaking words:

Mugabe is a hero. He liberated his people from white protestant serfdom. He fought the liberals and heretics who tried to destroy Zimbabwe. He outlawed sodomy. And he is still fighting against US imperialism and the traitors who seek to destroy the country from within … At the same time he is a devout and pious Catholic. Mugabe is truly a chivalric knight of our age … There is no injustice in what President Mugabe is doing. He is enforcing godly leadership on his people, just like King David did in Israel. Authoritarianism is of God.

He adds:

The Church has always supported righteous dictators such as Saint Emperor Constantine, Charlemagne, King Filipe II, General Franco and others. Democracy is ungodly and deserve to be fought, it has destroyed everything we once loved and made the population ungodly and sinful.

Why do the words “crazy as a shithouse rat” spring to mind?

Or could Zeth be a wind-up artist indulging in some heavy irony?

11 responses to “Mugabe – a good Catholic dictator … just like Hitler!”

1. Minerva says:

“crazy as a shithouse rat”
    That is very offensive to rats. On the farm where I grew up we had an outdoor convenience, and a fair number of rats. Rats are quite civilised unless cornered, and none of them ever showed any signs of homophobia or religious fundamentalism.

2. Stuart H. says:

Seeing Mugabe and reading about the antics of Anglican thugs when faced with dissent yesterday can I offer a suggestion?
    Seems like a good guide to whether a politico has a screw loose and some nasty connections would be to ask ‘has his security team ever tried to prevent Peter Tatchell expressing an opinion in a public place without the police interfering?’

3. Jan P. says:

I know that it is quite fashionable to include one or two Hitler references into anything – just to make it obvious to everybody how bad a person is.

Actually, despite the fact that Hitler was catholic, it is documented quite well that he despised the church – but he was very afraid of loosing the backing of the millions of catholics in the Reich. Therefore, he did not fight it in public.

However, both Hitler and Mugabe are / were bad people – independent of their faith.

4. eddie says:

Please Jan P. get your facts right.

AH is on record as claiming to be “doing god’s work”. It was oft repeated in his rants against jews. The concept of ‘third reich’ was a continuation of the holy roman empire.

Now go and research into why Pol Pot changed his name to Pol. He may have spelled it differently but the “devout catholic = evil megalomaniac murderer” equation is just piling up the evidence.

5. Dan says:

Eddie,

‘Hitler’s distain for Christianity is well documented, and wasn’t he Lutheran?

Anyway, consider the following quote he made:

The heaviest blow that ever struck humanity was the coming of Christianity … The deliberate lie in the matter of religion was introduced into the world by Christianity.

I’ll make these damned parsons feel the power of the state in a way they would have never believed possible. For the moment, I am just keeping my eye upon them: if I ever have the slightest suspicion that they are getting dangerous, I will shoot the lot of them. This filthy reptile raises its head whenever there is a sign of weakness in the State, and therefore it must be stamped on. We have no sort of use for a fairy story invented by the Jews.’

6. Bernard Tanner Jr says:

I would love to subscribe to your fine magazine

7. Wang says:

I just LOVE Zeth!

8. Andrew says:

Hi there,

stumbled on your blog while looking for evidence that Mugabe
    was assisted to power by the Catholic Church in Rhodesia (I
    haven’t yet found any but will persist looking).
    On a totally different topic, exactly how freethinking are
    you? If evidence or argument in favour of Christianity
    presented itself, would you be free to consider it?
    Please excuse this unwarranted intrusion on your certainties.

Andz

9. Marty says:

What are they supposed to excommunicate him? What happens when he goes nuts and starts killing catholics.

10. Robert Mugabe is a snail of Africa, my heart really goes when I think of those poor Zimbabweans. I am Zimbabwean living in England and I used to live in Harare, I must say that my country has been ruined by world’s biggest terrorist which is Mugabe, look at the exchange rate, poverty, economic conditions of Zimbabwe. When I think about it my heart really goes, I wonder why Mugabe does not let citizens of Zimbabwe decide the future of the country and also Mugabe must realize that he is in power since last 30 years his mind is getting old and he cannot think the same as young generation can think, so he must resign for the better of Zimbabweans. Cheers