C of E concocts a ‘prayer for the redundant’

C of E concocts a ‘prayer for the redundant’

THE Church of England has published a new prayer for the growing ranks of the unemployed to help them through troubled times.

The prayer has been written to offer comfort to those who have been sacked as the economy heads into recession, by recognising their fears and suggesting that belief in God can help them cope, according to today’s Telegraph.

The Church has written a second prayer from the viewpoint of someone who has kept their job while others in the same office or factory have lost theirs, describing their feelings of sadness, guilt and worries about the future.

The two prayers have been published on the Church of England’s website and are also being printed in a leaflet to be handed out in churches.

The Bishop of Ripon and Leeds, the Rt Rev John Packer, above, said the prayers show that the Church is there for people in times of crisis.

Here’s the prayer in full:

Redundant’ – the word says it all –
‘useless,
unnecessary,
without purpose,
surplus to requirements.’
Thank you, Heavenly Father, that in the middle of
the sadness,
the anger,
the uncertainty,
the pain,
I can talk to you.
Hear me as I cry out in confusion,
help me to think clearly,
and calm my soul.
As life carries on,
may I know your presence with me
each and every day.
And as I look to the future,
help me to look for fresh opportunities, for new directions.
Guide me by your Spirit,
and show me your path,
through Jesus, the way, the truth and the life. Amen.

9 responses to “C of E concocts a ‘prayer for the redundant’”

1. ‘useless,
    unnecessary,
    without purpose,
    surplus to requirements.’

Sounds a bit like a bishop to me…

2. mikespeir says:

New prayer. Great! Problem solved.

3. Stuart H. says:

At the rate the C of E are laying off full time priests in favour of ‘hobby vicars’ (that’s ‘non-stipendiary ministers’ in official jargon), which in turn allows them to flog off vicarages and recoup more cash, the main ‘market’ for this prayer is their own staff!

4. PaulJ says:

You’d think they would pray for an end to the recession, but maybe that would be too easy.

5. Brian Brown says:

This was filed under “general barminess”. That says it all really.

Who wrote this tosh? Dr Williams from inside his bubble detached from reality?

6. nullifidian says:

Wow, the increasing vacuousness of anglicanism in particular and religion in general never ceases to amaze me.

Nice new look for the site BTW.

7. Brian Brown says:

You forgot to include the prayer they wrote for those who weren’t made redundant, here it is, I’ll say it tomorrow first thing when I get into work.

Prayer for those remaining in the workplace
    Life has changed:
    colleagues have gone – redundant, out of work.
    Suddenly, what seemed so secure is now so very fragile.
    It’s hard to know what I feel:
    sadness, certainly,
    guilt, almost, at still having a job to go to,
    and fear of the future:
    who will be next?
    how will I cope with the increased pressure of work?
    Lord Jesus, in the midst of this uncertainty, help me to keep going:
    to work to the best of my ability,
    taking each day at a time,
    and taking time each day to walk with you
    for you are the way, the truth and the life. Amen.

8. Postman says:

Am I the only one who finds that just a tad depressing?

9. Mike says:

Prayers ain’t what they used to be. That sounds like a crap poem a 13 year old would send into the Kidz Klubb page of a local paper