Anti-abortionists are crowing over George Tiller’s brutal murder

DESPITE the weasel words of condemnation that came from one anti-abortion group in the US following the fatal shooting yesterday of abortionist George Tiller, it seems that champagne corks are popping today among many other fanatical “pro-lifers”, which America has in abundance.

Campaigners against abortion were cock-a-hoop earlier this year when Tiller was tried on charges of illegally performing certain abortions in his Wichita clinic, but were devastated when he was acquitted in March.

George Tiller, who was gunned down yesterday

George Tiller, who was gunned down yesterday

American anti-abortion campaign group Operation Rescue said it was “shocked” by the news of his murder.

A statement on the organisation’s website, which is curiously now inaccessible, said:

We denounce vigilantism and the cowardly act that took place this morning. We pray for Mr Tiller’s family that they will find comfort and healing that can only be found in Jesus Christ.

But Operation Save America – a linked organisation? – appeared jubilant. Spokesman Rev Rusty Thomas said:

He died the way he lived. His was a bloody death.

And it quoted Pastor Mark Holick, of the Spirit One Christian Centre, as saying:

What was an abortionist doing in church, any church…being allowed, welcomed, even venerated? This man killed babies for a living. He charged large sums of money to do it. Then he went to church, made large contributions, and the church (Reformation Lutheran Church) accepted it??

This is an apostate church, fully complicit in Mr Tiller’s murderous rampage against preborn children. It has provided cover and respectability for him. We have confronted both pastor and church with this trashing of the Gospel of Christ.

And Rev Flip Benham, Director of Operation Save America, quoted the Bible:

A man who stiffens his neck after many rebukes will suddenly be destroyed – without remedy (Proverbs 29:1).

He added:

George Tiller has been confronted innumerable times with the claims of Christ. We were in Wichita in 1991, pleading for him to receive Christ and stop murdering children. In April 2001, I wrote him a personal letter with the book, Won By Love hoping to speak with him. Every day outside his abortion mill, gentle Christians pleaded with mothers to choose life and with George to choose Christ. We have been to his home, his church, and his work. He is now bowing before Jesus and confessing that He (Jesus) is right and that he (George Tiller) was wrong!

No doubt the media will paint every Christian, who loves life and lives out that belief in the streets of his city, as a wild-eyed, lunatic, fanatic bent on shooting abortionists. They will attempt to silence the voice of many by using the violence of one. This ploy is the devil’s ‘straw man’.

Tiller, 67, who performed controversial “late term” abortions, was gunned down as he served as an usher at his local Reformation Lutheran Church in Wichita, Kansas.

According to this report, police believe they have captured the man responsible, and plan to charge a 51-year-old man with homicide and two counts of aggravated assault.

The suspect was captured about 180 miles away, near Kansas City. Police said he was resident of Merriam, a suburb of Kansas City.

Wichita deputy police chief Tom Stolz said:

We feel that this is an act of an isolated individual, however our investigation continues.

Tiller has long been a target of America’s anti-abortion lobby. His clinic in Wichita has been the site of several mass protests and was bombed in 1985. Tiller was shot and wounded by an abortion opponent in 1993.

In the US, abortions are generally considered late-term when they are performed after the 20th week of gestation, on foetuses potentially old enough to survive outside the womb.

UPDATE: In all likelihood, Tiller’s killer will turn out to be a crazed religious zealot – which makes this stupid billboard, seen in Texas, all the more offensive as it seeks to equate GODLESSNESS with murder and lack of morality:

killer1

36 responses to “Anti-abortionists are crowing over George Tiller’s brutal murder”

1. Dave L says:

"Pro-life… these people aren't pro-life, they're killing doctors! What kind of pro-life is that? They'll do anything they can to save a fetus, but if it grows up to be a doctor they just might have to kill it? They're not pro-life. You know what they are? They're anti-woman. Simple as it gets, anti-woman — they don't like them. They don't like women. They believe a woman's primary role is to function as a broodmare for the state. Pro-life… you don't see many of these anti-abortion women volunteering to have any black fetuses transplanted into their uteruses, do you? No, you don't see them adopting a whole lot of crack babies, do you? No, that might be something Christ would do!"

— George Carlin

My sympathy goes out to George Tillers family.

This news is almost unbelievable! There`s nothing like calm, reasoned logic to promote your cause, is there? Sometimes I almost despair of the human race!!

3. Har Davids says:

Not all Christians are fanatics, I know, but some of them are worse then that. These people must be filled to the rim with hatred and they are able to justify their actions with their sweet Jesus as their back-up. And Barriejohn: as long as there is religion around, keep on despairing.

4. remigius says:

I beg to differ there Har, but all Christians are fanatics. The term comes from the latin 'fanaticus' meaning inspired by a god, or the divine, from the root 'fanum' meaning temple. Thus anyone who believes in a deity is a fanatic!

These religious nutters are so unintelligent that they do not understand the difference between the life of a sentient being and a small collection of cells. It’s OK to kill something that is a live fully grown human but not a few cells. And let us not forget that where the anti-abortionists are strong is in the same States that have the death penalty.

I despise all religions and their moronic followers – a pox on all of them.

My sympathy for Tiller’s family.

6. Pro-life murderers, eh.

Logic's a pain, isn't it?

7. Stonyground says:

If these idiots were serious about reducing the number of abortions they would get serious about reducing unwanted pregnancies instead of polluting sex education with their prudery.

8. Elainek123 says:

The World is going mad. I am told by Cardinal Cormac Murphy O'Connor that I am not fully human, and this doctor is murdered by the so called religous Church. I am thinking for sending him a letter asking for an apology and his view on abortion. Is it ok for priests and nums to chastise children yet not right for a woman to have the rights over her own body.__How on earth does the Church get away with this. I believe they have no brains to think.__

9. William Harwood says:

For a person capable of believing that 1 + 1 + 1 = 1, equating "right to life" with the right to murder anyone who CAN tell right from wrong is no big step. The godphuqt are within 300 years of exterminating the human race, and unless the likes of Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens and Stenger can make a majority realize that religion is a form of insanity and eliminate it by universal education, I will have the dubious distinction of being proven right by the very absence of a single survivor to appreciate it.

10. petursey says:

There's nothing like a murder to show pure Christian evil…. and they say we're not fully human !!!

11. sally says:

A collection of a few cells, eh? the majority of "cell" mutilated and killed by Dr. T. were babies in their last few days and weeks of life in utero….Hmmmm….it looks like a baby, it moves like a baby, it cries like a baby, it sucks it's thumb like a baby, it's heart beats….must be a baby…viable, able to live outside the womb…this is better known as infanticide !! God help us!

12. sally says:

you all call Christians fanatics but what do you call yourselves…you who insist on termination of viable human beings just inches from being born..some of these precicous babies have been born alive and are then terminated at the hands of "this wonderful, caring, compassionate health care provider"! And to the people that say a women should have control over her body…do that before you get pregnant…gee, there's a thought!

13. Buffy says:

The person they arrested, Scott Roeder, has direct connections to Operation Rescue, has been arrested for things like this before and is quite the RRRW whacko. They're all a bunch of terrorists.

14. sally says:

Hmmmm…just a few "cells"… the majority of "cells" that Dr. T. terminated were infants in the last days/weeks of life in utero…fully funtional, heart beating, moving in utero, yawning and sucking their thumbs, etc. …if it looks like a baby, moves like a baby, has a beating heart, and is within inches of being born…sounds like a human to me….wake up.. you're brainwashed by todays humanistic society!

15. Kat says:

To the last few who commented:
    I'm one of those dreaded "humanists" you detest so much. I don't believe in gods, the boogeyman, the devil, or the tooth fairy. In a turn I'm sure your tiny minds will find unbelievable, I think abortion is wrong. Not from a religious stand point, but I'm not here to argue why I find it unappealing. But you know what? It's not my place to make decisions for other women, so I hope it remains legal.
    What is currently illegal is shooting people in the head. Your buddy the zealot crusader broke the law and took a life. HE KILLED SOMEONE in the name of the "Pro-Life" movement! Can you not grasp the insanity of that!?
    Like most conservatives, you struggle so hard to get the child out of the womb alive, and then desert them the minute they can survive on their own. Wake up.

16. callisto says:

for myself, I have never in my life as an atheist insisted on 'termination of a viable human being just inches from being born' – what bloody hysterical tripe. I would only support such a thing on the grounds of purely medical reasons;
    the foetus is seriously deformed and would not live outside the womb; is terminally ill within the womb, and again, would not live outside the womb, and its own existence will threaten the mother's life; which are the main reasons for performing a late term abortion; not to wilfully murder unborn babies, which is a lying religious absurdity. These kinds of terminations are done for medical reasons, not so some mad doctor can go about killing babies.
    But you on the other hand, Sally, support cold blooded murder of a grown man who has a family. and all of that despite the fact your own GOD and your OWN so called holy bible, with LAWS FROM GOD tells you 'thou shalt not kill…"
    What part of God's own Law don't you understand?

17. s'phardi says:

sally–it's possible to be a vocal atheist and pro-life at once, as I am. (It is not an important issue for me, though). Don't automatically make assumptions about others. I value human life because I cannot do otherwise, it is my very nature to do so, though I am opposed to many forms of altruism, actually, as being forms of slavery; and I do not need to voluntarily enslave myself to a magical, fictional, irrational deity to ensure that my thoughts and deeds are ethical. I can think on my own, and judge reality empirically; and I do not need faith in the so-called "revelations" of Confucius, Buddha, or Jesus to follow that nearly-universal dictum called the "Golden Rule" (absent or truncated, to my knowledge, only in Islam and various political religions such as Fascism). Culture is a necessity for the survival of our species, and morality is the tool which ensures the well-being and sustained existence of culture. It is zealous, fabricated dogma and ideology which corrupts a natural, rational, but not perfect or full, tendency in human beings towards ethical behavior. Religion has always provided a basis for perversions–look at historical Christianity, and most prominently at Islam since its very inception. What is today preached as humanism is yet another sordid religion, one which is seeped in socialism's placement of the collective over the individual in nearly all circumstances, a heinous weltanschauung that ultimately betrays the notion of progress. Now, I can't deny that man is a theogonic animal for the most part, yet I am convinced that a solid morality can be obtained without religion. Despite all the horrors our species has committed in the name of this or that, I still have faith in man. I may worship his capacity for progress, but I do not worship him or the products of his hands, as many contemporary "humanists" might. On the other hand, to put trust in a capricious, arbitrary god who is merely a product of illogical, wishful conjecture–furthermore, a being which demands that we suppress our survival mechanism, reason, in favor of blind faith, is deception, and ultimately harmful.

Sorry for the long rant…

I'd like to note that while I do not condone Tiller's specialization in late-term abortions, I virulently condemn those who celebrate his murder. I express disgust as these hypocritical "pro-life for Jeebus" groups and the behavior which they have consistently exhibited towards abortion providers and seekers. I condemn their capitalization of mythology as rationale for their views, as the Bible is full of infanticide at the behest of a vengeful god, and treats issues of forced miscarriage (in the Mosaic code) in a hardly pro-life aspect. But I do not wish to impose my political views, per se, on others. If Roe v. Wade remains the standard regarding abortion procedure for as long as the United States of America is around, I won't lose a single second of sleep. There are far more consequential issues to concentrate upon.

Other freethinkers on this site–please don't outright call me a bigot–don't betray what you stand for–FREETHOUGHT. I implore you, actually, to attack me any way you wish, but in a thoughtful, rational manner.

18. Tourist says:

I remember during a visit to the USA five years ago, hearing some religo-freak arguing on a radio show that abortion is murder under any circumstances. Even when asked about rape, incest, severely deformed foetus etc, this nutter just continued to say "thou shalt not kill". The show host really started to loose patience, as the freak began yelling over other people, refused to answer questions and then tried to enter some rehearsed shite. What was worrying to me was that I thought I heard the host say that the speaker was either a state assembly member or a candidate. Scary, very scary.

Are you sure it wasn`t President Bush, Tourist?!!

20. Tourist says:

Nope, this one didn't have that really annoying drawl and was from Georgia!

21. valdemar says:

Nobody in their right mind likes abortion, any more than they like chemotherapy. The medical profession is there to do necessary things, not pretty and hearthwarming things. These Xian hypocrites are just that – abortion rates are just as high in states with high rates of churchgoing as they are in more secular parts of the US.

22. sally says:

Well…let's see..the baby being killed has a family just as Dr. T.did…a mother, a father, eh? From his own medical records, Tiller recorded that the majority of the partial birth abortions (inches from being born, delivered breech, head left in birth canal, scissors pierce skull, brain suctioned out, skull collapsed, dead baby delivered) were performed on "normal " babies who were the wrong sex, were inconvenient or "not wanted" (throw 'em out with the trash)….talk about BLOODY, hysterical tripe,Callisto!! The killer of Tiller is not my buddy or any pro-life person…LIFE IS LIFE..not exceptions!! I DO NOT condone any cold blooded murder on any human being…no matter their size, their age, their position in life, born or unborn!

23. callisto says:

Sally, no one is being hysterical but yourself.
    As I said before, these kinds of terminations are done for purely medical reasons, and not to lure innocent mothers and fathers into his clinic in order to butcher unborn babies; the notion that you imply in your response, as if the mothers and fathers had nothing to do with it, that Dr Tiller's only reason for living was to butcher babies in their mother's wombs. Dr Tiller carried out his distressing work for MEDICAL reasons, not of those of the hatred of unborn babies, but to aid women and sometimes the fathers in making serious medical decisions.

Sometimes in this life and this reality terrible things happen to foetuses forming in the womb and there is no other course but to assist in ending something that is not viable at all. Claiming that the pregnancies were ended for being the wrong sex is something that can only be an appalling wrong, and if that did happen, and I've not read any accounts that it did, then the Dr would surely have been shut down and charged, but he wasn't.

I do know that such abortions are performed in countries like India, where boy children are valued over girl children, and this is a terrible crime, but I have not heard of Dr. Tiller doing such a thing; and even if he did, his murder is still not defendable on those grounds. Only charges laid by the law and a jail sentence would be justified, not a gunning down in a church in cold blood, which I feel you seem to think is justified. If you're uncertain of the reasons why he did what he did, do some research and read the stories of the women who've had to go through this terrible ordeal and the reasons why they did, instead of screaming about baby murderers… if you care so much about life, then you must respect Dr Tiller's life as well and to learn the reasons why he did what he did instead of shrieking about the murder of innocents in the womb.

24. William Harwood says:

The reason the godphuqt are incapable of seeing a qualitative difference between the abortion of a pre-human tadpole with zero brainwave activity indicative of human thought, and the murder of a self-aware sentient being, is that they are dangerouslly, criminally, certifiably insane. And how could they not be, when they take their values from an imaginary Sky Fuhrer who is the most sadistic, evil, mass-murdering psychopath in all fiction?
    Late term abortions in the USA, involving fetuses sufficiently viable to survive outside of the womb, are legal only when two medical doctors diagnose them as medically necessary. Anyone who, not being an MD, has the fatuous conceit to consider his opinion on what constitutes medical necessity the equal of the doctors' opinions, probably also thinks that his wife is pretty and his children are smart.

25. William Harwood says:

Doctor Tiller performed only abortions that were permitted by law. When godphuqt fanatics succeeded in having him prosecuted in the pretence that he had broken the law, a jury ruled that he had not. So a deranged Christian (there's another kind?), egged on by the unspeakable Rupert Murdoch's theofascist FOX Republicanazi Network, killed him — and the instigators of the murder promptly disclaimed any responsibility, just as the coldblooded liar pretending to offer rational arguments againsy late-term abortions, because he lacks the integriity to reveal that he opposes all abortions, is doing.

26. Mike says:

Savages, from the WBC, to this, to blocking up a good hundred car parking spaces in Ely because it would "lower the tone" to hold a funfair on empty but church-owned greens. How long are these santa-beleiving spear-chuckers going to be allowed to stand in the way of the modern world?

27. CheMan says:

These Christian fanatics are always demanding others- Muslims- to apologize for a political attack against Americans. Where are their vocal chords when one of their own attacks an American??
    Sort of reminds me of Jews who talk incessantly about the holocaust but turn a blind eye to slaughter in Gaza!

28. sally says:

A nation that kills it's own children is a nation WITHOUT HOPE!! When you, W. Harwood, were in utero, when weren't you human? A minute before you were born… a week….when??? God help you ! Abortion is as abhorent as war except the "enemy" is a defenseless human baby…America will not doubt be judged accordingly for her crimes against humans !!

29. William Harwood says:

The dirty little yellow coward hiding behind the pseudonym "Sally", whatever his real name is, is wasting his time offering further proof that he believes humans are the domesticated livestock of a petmaster in the sky, that women are men's privately-owned breeding slaves and are not entitled to sovereignty over their own bodies, and that he is as criminally insane as his imaginary Sky Fuhrer. Everyone with a functioning human brain recognized that reality the first time he demonstrated his Manchurian Candidate brainwashing. My best advice is that he undergo a brain exchange with a cabbage — if he can find a cabbage willing to make the sacrifice.

Engaging in a battle of wits with an opponent who is unarmed nauseates me. FLUSH this troll!

The claims made by the Troll are emotive nonsense. The religious nutters are in fact an accessory to the abortion business and also millions of deaths by aids. Who is anti-contraception, anti the morning after pill and anti-condom? Step forward the sky-god followers. If there was easier access to all forms of contraception and better education rather than superstitious dogma, there would be fewer abortions. But no, the fairy tale followers don’t want that, they want to dictate to me what I can and cannot do with my body. My body is mine to do with as I wish – something I will defend to the death.
    Abortion is already very tightly controlled by law; it is unpleasant but expedient and a fact of life in the 21st century.

31. Anon says:

Anti-abortionists are crowing over George Tiller’s brutal murder ?

Everyone is…… or should be.

32. […] here, you might want to subscribe to the RSS feed for updates on this topic.Powered by WP Greet BoxSCOTT Roeder, the “born-again” Christian zealot who gunned down and killed US abortion provider Dr George […]

33. Jim Miller says:

To call OSA “jubilant” over Dr. Tiller's death is a gross mischaracterization. None of the comments you quoted express jubilation. They are mere statements of fact. I read the statements of both Rusty Lee Thomas and Flip Benham the day after Dr. Tiller's murder. Both of them decried the actions of the killer and both expressed extreme remorse at his death. According to their beliefs, Dr. Tiller's death meant that he could no longer be saved eternally.

Here is a quote from the same press release you quoted:

“Beware! The one who murdered George Tiller became exactly what George Tiller was – a murderer.

We will not be silenced nor will we stop opposing the murder of “any” person – born or unborn. If I were at Reformation Lutheran Church this morning my duty would be to stand in between the shooter and George Tiller. The love of Christ compels us!”

34. Jim Miller says:

CONTINUED:
    The way you have constructed this article puts Mr. Thomas and Mr. Benham in league with the murderer. It is irresponsible journalism that constructs a straw man argument. The statements are readily accessible on the OSA website: http://www.operationsaveamerica.org/555.htm. It is a miscarriage of justice and a violation of journalistic standards, not to mention outright lazy and dishonest, to quote the parts of the release that make your point without including the parts that contradict your point. Shame on you!

35. linda green says:

george tiller got what he desereved he brought it on himself. he was no doctor but someone worst than them bulgers and worst than a pidofill

36. Barry Duke says:

Linda Green, you are a fucking moron. And illiterate to boot. Piss off, you evil bitch, and don’t come back until you learn to say something sensible!