‘Cocks in frocks are not allowed in Islam’, says mad Malaysian cleric

FURTHER evidence of Islam’s disconnection from the real world emerges this week from Malaysia.

A report on this mainly Muslim country’s estimated population of 20,000 transsexuals highlights the plight of a group which – thanks to a fatwa passed in 1983 – are now officially not allowed to exist.

“Influential Islamic cleric” Harussani Zakaria, who helped establish the 1983 fatwa, defended the strict approach and said that transsexuals should use their “willpower” and adopt traditional lifestyles.

You cannot be transsexual, you are either a woman or a man. Why do they want to go against Allah? If God has created you as a boy, then act like a boy.

Malaysian transsexual Tasha

Malaysian transsexual Tasha

The report focuses on a 28-year-old transsexual called Tasha, “who looks for all the world like a striking young woman. But her all-important Malaysian ID card declares she is a Muslim man”.

Says Tasha, who has been cross-dressing since she was a child:

In Islam, there are only men and women, there are no transsexuals, and this is an Islamic country so that makes life very difficult for us.

Like many transsexuals in Malaysia the clash between the ID card and appearance means Tasha is shunned by employers, and forced to make her living as a sex worker.

Tasha endures drunken clients, violent pimps, and aggressive competition from other transsexual prostitutes, but what really frightens her are the raids mounted by police and religious authorities.

Enforcement officials from the Islamic Affairs Department (JAWI) – notorious for swooping on nightclubs and motels in search of Muslims drinking or having extramarital sex – regularly descend on the streets of Chow Kit.

Sex workers are sent scattering on their high heels, and those who are caught and hauled off face jail or intensive “counselling” sessions like a two-week interrogation Tasha once endured.

They asked me why I didn’t want to be a man, how I became like this and why I behave like this. But it didn’t change my mind. Why can’t Islam accept us? We are human beings as well. I am also one of God’s creations.

It was not always this way for transsexuals in Malaysia, where they are known as “mak nyah”.

Says Teh Yik Koon from the National Defence University who has written a book on mak nyahs:

Until the early 1980s transsexuals were usually accepted in Malaysia, they could go for a sex change and amend their identity card. At that time quite a few had sex changes, some became happily married and even adopted children.

But in 1983 a fatwa that prohibited gender-reassignment surgery as well as cross-dressing was imposed on all Malaysian Muslims, who make up 60 percent of the population.

Adds Teh, who estimates there are at least 20,000 in the country:

So now they’re not accepted, there’s no such thing as transsexuals according to Islam in Malaysia. The biggest dilemma for a Muslim transsexual is the ID card, because it states they are a Muslim man but when you look at them they look like a woman.

Some do manage to find regular work, typically as hairdressers, make-up artists, and boutique sales assistants, but advocates say that at least 70 percent resort to prostitution.

Addressing the problem of work, the crazy cleric Zakaria declared:

Of course they won’t get a job if they turn up wearing a woman’s dress. All religions are opposed to this.

25 responses to “‘Cocks in frocks are not allowed in Islam’, says mad Malaysian cleric”

I can tell you from personal experience that the religiots' standard response to the phenomenon of transsexuality is to shut their eyes, ram their fingers in their ears and repeat over and over again the mantra "male and female created he them": "male and female created he them"; "male and female created he them"! This, to them, makes the entire problem go away, so it doesn't need to upset their cosy view of the "ordered" nature of the universe!!

2. remigius says:

That's such a shame barriejohn. I bet you looked great in a dress!

3. Har Davids says:

If 'god', all powerful and knowing, created people like Tasha from the article there must be a reason we humans cannot understand. So, isn't railing against the Tashas in the world going against the will of 'god', and therefore a sin? I know some transsexuals and the only harm they do is to themselves, probably for having to live in a society that can't or won't accept them. So please, Harussani Zakaria, get your head out of your ass and leave to your 'god' to deal with things you can't accept or understand.

Good title, BTW Barry, but can be improved upon, I feel.

MAD MALAYSIAN MULLAH'S COCK IN FROCK BLOCK SHOCK

And Harussani Zakaria isn't exactly the easiest of names to anagram, but I got this:

ASK – U R A SHARIA NAZI?

(Of course, "Influential Islamic cleric" comes out as "Complete twat"!!)

6. H.C. says:

Bad news for the Scotsmen

7. Urmensch says:

That whole male and female thing is one I throw at Muslims who try to claim the Koran is scientific and without fault.
    I love pointing out that not only are there asexual animals, but hermaphrodites and others who can change sex when needed. Not to mention species that do without males altogether.

8. remigius says:

"…(Of course, "Influential Islamic cleric" comes out as "Complete twat"!!)"

Or

'Cruel alien clinical misfit'!

9. Rog says:

to Barrie D.

I was wondering, have you ever considered setting up a companion forum to this website? Whilst I love reading your blog and the comments of contributors, I can't help thinking that a forum would be a good place to bring people together and possibly become an publicly active community in due course.

Of course, I realise that this must sound like I am trying to preach to the choir; so I'll go and hide back under my rock for a bit 🙂

rog

Quite right! And even we males were originally females in the womb, of course!! It's on the whole issue of sex and sexual orientation that this fundamentalist view of the world falls down. Animals just can't be put into these convenient little boxes as they would like. To anyone who accepts evolution it is obvious that we are all descended from primitive, asexual organisms, so there aren't going to be clear delineations of black and white, but plenty of grey areas in between. The idea of a "god" who created all living things as male and female is infantile nonsense propagated by complete ignoramuses.

I think that's a very good idea, Rog. I was relieved to see that you "love reading the comments", as I was afraid for one moment that you were going to complain there about some of us wandering off-topic occasionally! (Something which I, of course, avoid at all costs!!) A Freethinkers' Forum, though, would allow us to converse more freely, without having to ask whether we were wandering too far with our comments, and would leave us free to raise new topics for discussion, or to mention other things that were in the news.

That's very good indeed, but I still get "Complete twat" myself!

13. remigius says:

I too get really annoyed when posters wander from the topi…

Clouds eh. Brilliant.

14. remigius says:

Barry. Could we have a forum?

Please.

Tom Esticles has one.

Go on. Pllleeeeaassseee!!!

I thought the title of the thread a bit disingenuous, also transsexualism works both ways: M to F and F to M. As islam is really a charter for insecure pseudo-macho woman beaters are we not to be surprised by them picking on another vulnerable group?

16. William Harwood says:

Since off-topic comments are apparently not a no-no, let me advise interested parties that my God, Jesus and the Bible is now listed at http://www.amazon.co.uk It does not discuss transsexual issues, but does include an explanation of the origin of the gay taboo in the chapter about the Priestly author of 621-612 BCE (who borrowed the taboo from Zoroaster).

How do you see the title as "disingenuous"? I don't follow you. The muzzie was getting his knickers in a twist over men dressing as women here (metaphorically speaking, of course, I'm sure!).

I just thought the title insulting to transsexuals; it made it sound as though these people were just transvestites.

I see what you mean, though I wonder whether the cleric would actually make any distinction. I'm sure that in the Koran, as in the Old Testament, it is the wearing of apparel supposedly appropriate for the other gender which is proscribed. They get really worked up about it!

20. Buffy says:

The more I read of stuff like this the more I despise religion.

21. LeahCC says:

They want the male transexuals to act like men? Who is to say what is "male" and "female" anyway?

I really wish these morons were intelligent enough to think for themselves instead of following the ramblings of "Allah" or some other made up fairytale ringmaster.

"Of course they won't get a job if they turn up wearing a woman's dress. All religions are opposed to this." All the more reason to have no truck with any of them then!

When Barry inaugurates the Freethinkers' Forum this is just the sort of news that we will look forward to reading there!

24. 370530e says:

You either have a Y chromosome or you don’t. If you do you’re male; if you don’t you’re female. Religion has nothing to do with it – it genetics.

Transsexuals are not individuals trapped in the wrong body; they’re individuals with a desire for cosmetic surgery.

25. yuri says:

actually, there is scientific evidence that transsexuals do have different genetics, and it is this that causes them to be this way. sometimes the chromosomes don't matter as much as what individual genes say. transsexuals are not doing what they do for cosmetic purposes. no one would want to go through what they have to go through for purely cosmetic purposes. it is a hard and difficult path to go down, and it goes much deeper than cosmetic appearance.