Public eat-in during Ramadan sparks death threats against Moroccan man

A MOROCCAN man campaigning to change the law which prohibits eating in public during the Muslim Ramadan fast says he has received 100 death threats this week.

Mmmm! Good enough to eat - but not in daylight during Ramadan

Mmmm! Good enough to eat - but not in daylight during Ramadan

Radi Omar denied that his group was anti-Islam. He told the BBC:

We are in favour of individual freedom.

Six of his colleagues are in custody after planning to eat in public last Sunday, and he has demanded their release.

Omar said they were being well treated but he assumed they were not being fed during the fasting hours.

The group, known as the Alternative Movement for Individual Freedoms (Mali), has more than 1,200 members on its Facebook site. (We tried to find the group, but without success.)

The food dissidents planned a public defiance of the law at the train station in Mohammedia near Casablanca last but were dispersed by the police.

The protesters were prevented from eating and so should not have been detained, Mr Omar said, adding that they have not been charged.

Under Moroccan law, eating in public during the hours of daylight, when Muslims are supposed to fast, can lead to a fine and up to six months in prison.

37 responses to “Public eat-in during Ramadan sparks death threats against Moroccan man”

I don't see much chance of Islam catching on in the Polar regions, do you? You could easily starve to death if you weren't careful!

2. Brian Jordan says:

There's a story, probably apocryphal, of (I think) a Jew who moves between the far north and the far south, whichever has the shortest day at the time, to minimise fasting.

3. Stoneyground says:

What is it with these people and death threats? It seems to be their answer to everything.

4. shargraves says:

It's because they are so peaceful…

I wouldn't be surprised – it's all codswallop anyway! I have often wondered, though, what the Muzzies who live at Mecca do when prayer time comes around. Do they suspend themselves vertically from the ceiling, with noses pointing to the ground? If not, they would be facing AWAY from the Holy City, surely! A conundrum indeed!!

Oh, but it is an outrage, and they are insulted again! No wonder some of their punishments are so extreme, when the fact that a bloke has a meal at the wrong time results in this sort of reaction!!

7. GNG says:

Actually barrie, the guy wants to have a meal at the RIGHT time, when he's hungry and during the daytime when every other human and most other animals eat. It's the muzzies that have it wrong as usual.

Regarding the daylight thing, it clearly shows how mo and his allah didn't actually know too much about the earth. I met a man from Iran (no I'm actually not a poet though I understand it may seem that way) some time ago through the local Humanist group. He told me that he brought this up in school one day when the 'teacher' was telling them about fasting (aparently he was always asking questions which his teachers didn't like – probably because they had no answers) and his teacher said to him "I pray to god that you die a miserable death". What else would we expect. He eventually left Iran for his own safety. Unsurprisingly.

Godless not gormless

Yes – just when you think there couldn't possibly be a more ridiculous and convoluted collection of pointless and unnecessary petty regulations than those contained within the Torah, along comes Mohammed with his fucking stupid Koran!

(PS I used to be a teacher, and I have often said "I pray to God that you die a miserable death" to pupils of mine. That doesn't make me a Muslim though!!)

9. GNG says:

Agreed Barrie. Didn't we have enough of these stupid works of fiction without him chipping in?

Not a muslim barrie, but maybe a xtian? You did say you were one of those too.

I once met a man from Iran

Who had meals in the back of a van.

This might seem insane,

But the reason was plain

When he told me it was Ramadan!

I was a very kindly Christian really, GNG! No pupils were ever thrown to the lions, though my cat did dispense with one or two of the more obnoxious ones!!

12. GNG says:

very good and far more entertaining than the koran. I'll take the credit for it for feeding you the line "man from Iran". The rest just fell into place. 😉

I'd publish my verses, but for some strange reason no one will touch them. I wonder why?

14. GNG says:

Then set up your own website and publish them there instead. There's no need to settle for not being published in the age of the internet! I thought that one was quite witty. I've certainly seen worse! You and remigius could get together. Could be entertaining!

It was a joke – have you not been following the sagas of the lily-livered publishing houses on mediawatchwatch and elsewhere? Their favourite trick is to say: "Yes, we'd love to publish this anti-Islamic material, but let's get an independent opinion first from some scholar such as Osama bin Laden, just to make sure that no one's going to firebomb our offices if we go ahead! After all, we are all in favour of the exercise of free speech!!"

16. Stoneyground says:

I love the story about the kid in school asking awkward questions getting nothing in reply but hostility. Interestingly, Charles Bradlaugh asked too many questions in his confirmation class. The vicar flew into a rage and denounced him as the spawn of Satan and Bradlaugh went on to found the National Secular Society and to become Britain's first openly Atheist MP.

Most "Christian" children of my parents' generation attended "Catechism", though it was (mercifully) dying out by the time my turn came around! If you "passed" the course, you qualified for "Confirmation" by an elderly gentleman in flowing robes and a funny hat (no relation to Father Christmas!), and were thenceforth entitled to attend "Communion" services (C of E). I don't know what form preparation for Communion takes nowadays, but I believe the Roman Catholics still persist in the age-old practice. Believe it or not, this consisted of learning, parrot-fashion, a long list of answers to questions (like "What should your reply be when Father O'Malley asks you to suck his cock?") on which you were then tested! 100% accuracy in replies (and I mean WORD-PERFECT replies) was the standard, or the applicant failed the test! Comprehension of this gibberish was, of course, irrelevant!!

I was just looking up "Catechism" on the internet, when I clicked on to the site of the "Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland", only to find that the site is closed today "in recognition of observance of the Lord's day"! (I am NOT making this up!!) There is a huge headline reminding us to Remember the Sabbath Day (ie Saturday???) to keep it holy", though it doesn't say what will happen if we don't! However I shall need yet ANOTHER pair of clean underpants, having pissed myself thoroughly over the idea that a WEBSITE (and a "Christian" one at that) should need to "observe the Sabbath"!!!

19. dkas says:

The Facebook page of the group is here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12806553646… (in French)

My standard of English is much more betterer than what remigiusses is, in any case!

21. GNG says:

Nope, sorry barrie, hadn't been following that. I actually thought you were suggesting that your material wasn't that good! Oops!

22. GNG says:

Do you think that cat of yours could be put to good use against chowdhry and his moronic followers?

Sadly, he's long gone now, GNG. Probably as a result of all that high-living: though children in those days provided a much more lean and healthy diet than they would today!

24. remigius says:

Pity. I think Godless is onto something – Mad Mo's followers seem to have a fear of pussy!

25. GNG says:

your write their Barrie. Some of what remigius rights is always wrong half the time he says it and almost most of that is bollocks.

Godless not gormless

26. GNG says:

This is very true. I actually gave up eating children some time ago because of this. if only religiots would understand how responsible us atheists are, they might have more respect for us. They seem to think we'd just eat any children, whereas I think most of us are actually quite choosy.

Godless not gormless

Do you remember Geoffrey Palmer's line in the original "Reginald Perrin"? "I like children – but I couldn't eat a whole one!"

28. GNG says:

I had to learn the catechism at school too, and it was one of the things that really put me off religion. I was very young of course, but I could still think to some degree and realised that there was just something wrong with this.

I also remember as a teenager, when my father didn't like how I was behaving and suggested that I re-learn it. Itold him what I thought of it and he just stood there – flabberghasted – unable to think of what to say. Probably a combinatoin of rage and disbelief, or maybe he was just trying to work out which directoin he should run to escape the impending lighting bolt destined to arrive at any second. It never came of course.

Re the wee free church. Did you see these guys out protesting at the ferry sailing from Lewis a month or so back? They were out on a Sunday protesting that the ferry was sailing on a Sunday because no one should be doing anything on a Sunday. What fuckin morons! They'll be dammed to hell now I should think. Best thing for them.

Godless not gormless

I did see that story, and it was covered by Robert Saunders ("GrumpyBob") over at Wonderful Life. (Does anyone know where he has gone?).
    —————————————————————————————————-
    Ferry stupid!

30. Dominic says:

The link to Mali's facebook site is http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12806553646
    You probably didn't look very hard, it is the first group that appears if you search 'Mali, Maroc' (french spelling of morocco) in facebook search

See? What sort of a riposte would you call THAT!

(Sorry for the delay, I'm not getting emails from IntenseDebate at the moment.)

32. official says:

It is some sort of paliava here

33. GNG says:

What if we were to cross a cat with a pig? That would really get to them!

34. kurt says:

no mate. you got this all wrong. they don't hang themselves from the ceiling! they still have to face one particular point, which is the Kaaba, a cube-shaped structure. it serves as guide, not more than that,. they dont worship that cube, ok. better do more research next time, mate.