Tight jeans are banned in Indonesia – ‘and if you don’t like it, blame God’

FROM next year, Muslim women in the West Aceh district of Indonesia will be prohibited from wearing jeans or trousers deemed to be too tight.

Announcing the new law, inspired by a bunch of mad clerics, district chief Ramli Mansur said:

If a woman flouts [the rule] her trousers will be cut up on the spot and replaced with a skirt that will be provided free of charge by the West Aceh government.

Loose trousers may be worn under a skirt, as long as no part of the ankle was visible, according to this report.

The law also prohibits Muslim men from wearing shorts.

But the good news is that non-Muslims will remain free to wear whatever they choose.

Under Indonesia's new Islamic law, women will be prohibited from wearing tight jeans or trousers, and men from wearing shorts (picture source: Fugly.com)

Said the magnanimous Mansur:

We’ll respect the rights of non-Muslims.

He added:

If there are parties who disagree, don’t be angry with me. Be angry with God as I’m only carrying out a religious obligation.

Meanwhile, we learn from the BBC that a female journalist working for a TV channel which aired graphic accounts of sex in Saudia Arabia is to be spared a flogging.

King Abdullah cancelled the sentence of 60 lashes against Rozanna al-Yami, after being briefed on the case.

The programme broadcast by Saudi-owned Lebanese channel LBC caused a huge scandal in the conservative kingdom.

Three men who bragged about their sexual adventures in the show, as well as the cameraman, have been jailed.

No reason has been given for the king’s decision. It is the second time he has intervened in a high-profile flogging sentence in two years.

The original programme was part of a series called Red Lines, examining taboos in the Arab world, including extra-marital sex in Saudi Arabia.

Mazen Abdul Jawad provoked outrage by describing his techniques for meeting and having sex with Saudi women.

He has since apologised and claimed LBC tricked him, but he was jailed for five years and sentenced to 1,000 lashes.

Three of his friends who appeared on the show got two years each and the cameraman was jailed for two months.

The station’s offices in Saudi Arabia were closed down and two of its producers – both female – put on trial.

LBC has made no comment about the cases.

Hat Tip: Maotai (for the jeans story)

13 responses to “Tight jeans are banned in Indonesia – ‘and if you don’t like it, blame God’”

1. sailor1031 says:

I’m sorry for the women but I really do support not allowing that bloke ever to wear shorts again. Frankly he’d look better in a skirt donated by the West Aceh government…..

2. mikespeir says:

I would’ve made it through the day just fine without seeing that guy in those shorts. *groan*

3. Barry Duke says:

Sailor, those daisy dukes are ok. Honest! Remember, God himself flashed his arse at Moses. (Genesis 33:23: “I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts.”)

Now if God (the exhibitionist) created man in his own image, as biblical mythology insists, and saw fit to give Moses a tantalising glimpse of his celestial tush, then surely there can be no objection to mere mortals doing the same thing.

Not a pretty sight, I know, but, hey, I’m all for freedom of expression. And anyway, there’s nothing in the Bible to suggest that Moses told God: “Cover yourself up, you dirty old sod”.

I wonder if that gorgeous guy is on Gaydar?

5. Uzza says:

This new law applies only to muslims. Fine. Except that according to islamic doctrine, everyone is born muslim and remains one until they change to another religion: and, any muslim who changes their religion should be killed. So effectively, follow this law or die.

This is bullshit. It’s just a license for the religious police to publicly molest women by tearing their clothes off.

6. Stonyground says:

The picture of the guy in the shorts made me laugh out loud. Also I think that if I had to live in a world without women in tight jeans and trousers I might have to travel to dignitas.

I have never come to terms with men wearing shorts, off a games field, anytime, anywhere. The source of this detestation is a mystery. I think I may have linked this feeling with various authority twats: eg these British Empire types ruling the world in India, Africa with their Baden Powell type hats; scout masters who loved to sport shorts (I was in the cubs and scouts briefly)and fantasise about their hero Baden Powell; lard arses in the summer who seem to think that bulging guts and protruding arses spilling over shorts are some kind of fashion statement.

8. Robert Stovold says:

“a series called Red Lines, examining taboos in the Arab world”
    Must be a very long-running series! Should give “The Sky At Night” a good run for its money.

9. dogon says:

At first it’s tight jeans and absence of ankles…before long they will have the girls in the full islamic outfit …it starts with jeans and ends with the burka…I wonder what the prophet’s wife wore ?

That guy in the pic IS on gaydar, Barry. He tells me he fancies a threesome, so I just wondered whether anyone else was up for it!

(PS He’s not a Muslim!!)

11. Barry Duke says:

Er, I think I’ll pass on this one, BarrieJohn … those sizeable thighs would bring tears to my eyes!

Pity that, Barry. He prefers the bigger built guys with a bit of facial hair, and I think we both fit the bill there!

13. Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by Vinnie B: RT @denyreligion: Tight jeans are banned in Indonesia ‘and if you don’t like it, blame God’ #atheism http://bit.ly/3lcnno LOL!!…