Don’t deny the truth of the Bible to Alabama’s Piggly Wiggly customers

ONE might almost pity Republican politician Bradley Byrne, who would like to become the next Governor of Alabama.

Bradley Byrne making his gubernatorial pitch at the New Hope Piggly Wiggly branch

Last November, Byrne – a Christian, but by no means a foam-flecked fundie – was quoted in the Mobile Press-Register as saying:

I believe there are parts of the Bible that are meant to be literally true and parts that are not.

He explained that:

It is unimportant whether some details of the Bible, such as people living for hundreds of years, are factually correct.

Byrne was also one of three candidates that expressed at least a partial belief in evolution, but with “God behind it”.

This week, following a threat by Christian zealots to boycott Piggly Wiggly grocery stores in North Alabama, Byrne claimed that he had been misquoted, and that:

I believe the Bible is true … Every word of it.

Byrne added that the Mobile Press-Register report had been used by his opponents in anonymous attacks since November.

Byrne had come to a Piggly Wiggly branch to announce his first big endorsement this year, from the Alabama Retail Association.

When notice of the  Piggly Wiggly press conference was posted on al.com on Wednesday morning, several readers began agitating against Byne and Ragland Brothers Retail Cos Inc, which owns the Piggly Wiggly stores.

One genius, uafan1198, posted this message:

Just got a call from a person at my Church letting me know about this. My family will not be shopping at Ragland Piggly Wiggly stores anymore or anything else they own…. I don’t shop at places that think it is OK to stand next to people who don’t believe the Bible is all true.

24 responses to “Don’t deny the truth of the Bible to Alabama’s Piggly Wiggly customers”

1. mikespeir says:

I’m humbled and awed. Oh, and terrified. Terrified, too.

You did say “Piggly Wiggly” did you? Parts of the bible belt have gone from puerile to infantile. And the line is still heading to the basement. What sort of people are they? How does it happen? How can any adults continue to think like this?

3. Soulless says:

Broga,

Alabama has some of the worst public schools in the nation and are ranked 49th.

4. Soulless says:

Broga,

That was old data apparently. Under a different list I saw they are 27th but I’m sure that they’ve done work on their school system from decades ago when the adults living there were in school. They were much worse. I live in East Tennessee and they’re bad here as well.

5. Lucky Jean says:

@ Broga:
    Piggly Wiggly might sound funny but it’s just the name of a chain of grocery stores in the South that have been there for a long time. Just fyi.

6. San Francisco says:

I was once a born-again Christian. I’m now a radical gay Atheist. Why?
    Because some Christians are no less than domestic terrorists. In this case, they made a man turn into a mouse.
    I’m happy to be living in the gayest, most progressive city in the USA. For you Bible-thumpers, please don’t visit. I moved to get away from people like you.
    Piggly-Wiggly? You’ve got to be joking.

7. CybrgnX says:

When one is so abysmally ignorant (not saying stupid) that the simplest science is unknowable, you must over compensate by diving deeper into the magic of your religion. And the deeper you dive into the religion, the more you must reject anything else. Their over reaction is not surprising.
    It is self fulfilling as these same people also cannot understand the advanced courses in good schools so they don’t want it in the local schools, then they stress more buyBull study, which in turn stresses anti-learning, and around we go again.

8. Ray says:

As one of the ‘abysmally ignorant’ I have to say at least I know this is all politics which has nothing to do with reality. Also I am sure that I could come up with a ‘freethinker’ saying something equally heartwarming; like any of the above who have equated the remarks of ONE individual with the dearth of intellectual activity associated by people of faith in general, and Christians in particular. Nevertheless I am happy to be a fool for Christ,(2Cor.11:19).

9. uzza says:

At least the fundies are being true to their religion. Mr Byrne is breaking his own Ninth Commandment in at least one of those quotes. What does he believe?

10. Buffy says:

Does this moron actually think there is a single place in the world outside of his house where everyone thinks the Bible is all true?

11. Stonyground says:

Ray, Only one ignorant remark was quoted, but the fact remains that Byrne had to hastily withdraw his remark for fear of losing significant numbers of customers and votes.

I would also suggest that this was a pretty spineless reaction as the position that the Bible is entirely true completely untenable. Not only does the Bible contain literally thousands of factual errors, and the most absurd fairy stories but it also contains numerous contradictions as well. I am of course familiar with the arguments used by fundies to try to explain these problems away, but it is hardly an argument that he could not win. Maybe he just has better things to do.

That Bradley Byrne hasn’t a clue:
    He said that the Bible’s not true!
    When the zealots objected
    He soon had defected
    To a quite fundamentalist view!!

Soullness. Thanks for the information. I have met some USA bible belt christians – in the USA – and I had forgotten quite how crazy were there beliefs. Here are one or two gems from the past which may amuse or infuriate you.

Broga: As there are thousands of different religions why are you certain that your beliefs are correct?

BBC (Bible Belt Christian.) Because we are the only faith that says our saviour is the actual son of God. All the others only claim their leader to be a prophet.

Broga: If the bible, as you claim, is the literal word of god and contains no contradictions would you reconcile these for me. (Here I quoted some contradictions which anyone could find.)

BBC If you had faith, and prayed intensely and earnestly and not in a spirit of sceptism these so called contradictions would dissolve and you would experience the true light of Jesus.

I am not surprised that a spirit of sceptism and enquiry is stifled. Believing what an ignorant pastor tells you saves lots of study. One bit of good news: a former colleage, with a talented son fascinated with science, moved to Canada to escape the suffocation of a school which insisted that the world was created around 6,000 years ago and a 65 million year fossil shark tooth his son had acquired was placed there by god to “test our faith.”

Lucky Jean: Many thanks. Any corrections or information always welcome. Good luck.

15. uzza says:

We have a Piggly Wiggly right on the corner, and a Lizard’s Thicket down the street(it’s a restuarant chain).

16. BaronOfRust says:

Oh man if only religious psychos could hear how crazy they sound. I guess a pig can’t smell his own stink. It is sad actually how manipulative people take what is essentialy a book of morals and use it to control the minds of a populace.

Yes, Broga’s on somewhat dodgy ground when we have a pub chain here called Slug and Lettuce!

uzza: Lizard’s Thicket – I like that one. I am beginning to feel deprived from the paucity of imaginative names in the UK. I remember Dennys (I think that is right) when I was the the USA. The other thing that struck me was that there seemed to be a restaurant every few hundred yards on any route we drove.

On a point of fact, if anyone can be bothered explaining: what is a born again Christian? Are they different from other christians? They do seem more literal and fundamentalist. Does the term mean that they were not christians before being born again? Is there a special ceremony or church for them?

I began as a Presbyterian – Scottish. My memories are pleasant – picnics, Christmas Parties – on the whole. They didn’t seem to make much effort to convince us. Maybe they assumed that they didn’t have to. However, when I got to about 15 I started to think and encountered atheism. After that, freedom soon beckoned.

Pity that they don’t have a button you can click onto to say “What a load of rubbish”!

20. Stonyground says:

I always thought that “Toys ‘R’ Us” was the stupidest name for a shop chain ever. Even without the R being backwards it makes no sense.

21. Ash Walsh says:

Q. What would it take to convince the Bible Belt that the Bible is Most Definetly false?

A. A Miracle from A God!

22. tony e says:

Broga,

In answer to ‘what is a born again christian?’

Someone who is even more irritiating the second time around!

tony e: Plausible anyway. But it does set the bar very high.

24. theclapp says:

Technical note: The user’s name was uafan1998. See the comments on that article.