Rancid Ratzinger attacks British government over equality legislation

POPE Ratzinger has confirmed that he will be visiting the UK this year – and in the same address to British bishops he lambasted the government over equality legislation he claims limits religious freedom.

According to The Guardian, Ratzinger said the effects of some legislation designed to give equality of opportunity had been to impose “unjust limitations” on the freedom of religious communities to act “in accordance with their beliefs.”

Catholic head honcho Joseph Ratzinger is said to be frilled at the prospect of visiting the UK

He told the Catholic bishops of England and Wales gathered in Rome:

Your country is well-known for its firm commitment to equality of opportunity for all members of society. Yet, as you have rightly pointed out, the effect of some of the legislation designed to achieve this goal has been to impose unjust limitations on the freedom of religious communities to act in accordance with their beliefs. In some respects it actually violates the natural law upon which the equality of all human beings is grounded and by which it is guaranteed.

His remarks have been interpreted as an attack on the Sexual Orientation Regulations which forced Catholic adoption agencies to consider gay couples as potential adoptive parents.

The Government also suffered defeats in the House of Lords last week after the churches voiced concerns that the provisions of the flagship Equality Bill could expose them to legal challenges if they refuse to employ sexually active gay people and transsexuals.

Ratzinger’s remarks were made in an address in which he confirmed that he will make his first apostolic visit to Britain later this year.

He is widely expected to visit England and Scotland in a four-day trip between September 16 and September 19, and is expected to have many of the trappings of a state visit.

The National Secular Society (NSS) said it would mount a protest campaign against the visit made up of gay groups, victims of clerical abuse, feminists, family planning organisations and pro-abortion groups among others.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn

33 Responses to “Rancid Ratzinger attacks British government over equality legislation”

1. Marcus says:

The NSS has created a petition which demands that the catholic church (which, let’s face it, is hardly short of a bob or two), foots the estimated £20-million price tag for the Dope’s visit to the UK, rather than us taxpayers having to stump up the reddies.

Give it your support here:

2. Susan says:

He’s not coming to Wales. Hip Hip Hooray. Well I just have to go to the demo in London then, tidy.

3. Petursey says:

I just vented my ire about this on my blog.

This pathetic dress wearing prada shoe fanatic octagenarian is a bigoted CUNT.

I’m sacrificing to the Flying Spagetti Monster (Bless his noodly appendages) that the old fart croaks before September.

BTW the NSS have a petition on their site saying the old twat should pay his own way if he visits. I recommend signing it !!!

4. ZombieHunter says:

Woohoo the pope’s coming I’ll have to get the official tour shirt and all the naff merchandise that catholics seem to excel at.

nah fuck that I think I’ll go see Slayer instead (providing they stop postponing their dates :P )

5. Normand says:

That picture of Ratzinger flying out of the fog like a bat from hell looks like something from Nightmare Street and could scare kids on Halloween night. So who invited him to go and spread his venom in England now? The millions of pounds for that trip for security, etc. could have been sent to Haiti or for économically depressed areas of England where it would have been put to so much better use than to bow before this doddering old fool who will go there and spew his platitudes on the sins of using condoms or of men being gay. When I look at the way he slithers along in his white silk dress, red shoes and bat-man cape like a drag queen I wonder myself about his own sexuality. Don’t get me going!!

According to this, the Pope’s forthcoming visit to Britain IS to be a State visit!

The news that the reactionary head of the Catholic Church, Joseph Ratzinger, is to be accorded a state visit to Britain next September was greeted with dismay by the National Secular Society this week. The Pope will meet the Queen and speak in both Houses of Parliament. The whole visit will have the full panoply of a visiting head of state, although the Vatican has only a few hundred (all-male) inhabitants.

7. JohnMWhite says:

Apparently legislation assuring equality violates the natural law assuring equality. That’s Catholic logic for you.

The BBC have a more lengthy article on this now, including comments from Ann Widdecombe, who I believe was involved in the televised debate on whether the Catholic Church was a force for good in the world. She was appalling then and she’s appalling now, claiming: “This isn’t a debate about homosexuality, this is a debate about religious freedom.”

In that case I’m sure she’ll be happy to support some communities in the UK exercising their religious freedom to stone adulterers, circumcise children of either gender without anesthetic, shoot Jews/Blacks/Arabs/Scots on sight, and blow themselves up on public transport. That’s religious freedom, right? No? Catholics don’t want to support such freedoms and are only interested in stopping homosexuals adopting children or getting jobs? Oh, all right, but I’m sure it’s not a debate about homosexuality.

She prattles on: “If a faith teaches, as major faiths do, that something is wrong, then quite clearly you cannot have somebody who believes that it’s right actually occupying a very senior position. That we have accepted as natural justice for a very long time.”

I do believe that the Catholic Church teaches that sex out of wedlock is wrong, but has had many, many people in senior positions having sexual encounters out of wedlock, often with people who were the wrong age and even the wrong gender to be getting married in the first place. Then there was that incident where the church, which firmly believes murder is wrong, had a guy in a very senior position who was pretty ambivalent over the attempted genocide of Jews in Europe. Or maybe these incidents are why they suddenly don’t want to get involved with people who dare to think differently from their dogma. I wonder if Asda/Wal-Mart should now be allowed to fire people who think the ruthless accumulation of wealth is a sin…

Also, the natural justice/natural law nonsense always irritates me, as it appears to simply mean “our culture thinks this, our culture is always right, stop trying to change my culture you heathen swine!!”

8. Stonyground says:

I have posted elsewhere that I think that it would be fun if we could get the song House Of Fun by Madness to number one at the time of the Pope’s visit. It is a song about condoms and I believe that it was at number one tha last time a Pope visited the UK.

You can sign that petition from the link that I gave above, or this one:

10. Tony says:

From the looks of the photo, the Ratman is letting drop a BIG one! Most of his proclamations also reek of rancid air…phew.

11. Ian says:

Quite frankly, I revel in papal dissatisfaction. The Pope’s demented outpourings serve only to impress the sort of fanatics who are quite beyond the reach of logic and reason anyway.

Any rational individual will view the old freak’s current outspoken opinions in much the same light as his deluded disdain for the use of contraception and enjoyment in general.

Like Petursey, my initial response to the news was the fervent hope that the Rat pops his Prada clogs before September, God willing – sotospeak! ;)

A figure of £20,000,000 is being quoted for the visit of this vile king of the paedophile priests; just think how much healthcare this amount would pay for or how many pensioners prevented from freezing to death.

I notice the Bigots’ Beano, the very catholic Torygraph [Daily Telegraph] is supporting Ratsnazi and his right to interfere with British politics. Looking at the online version, some of the comments are scary; it seems to be a magnet for religious nutters.

13. Stuart W says:

For your general amusement, here is the little Green man’s splutter about the Equality Bill from the end of January.

Children growing up thinking that there is nothing wrong with being gay? Ohhhhhh, won’t somebody PLEASE think of the Chrisss-chans?!!

14. Broadsword Calling Danny Boy says:

For me this could be a case of sit back and enjoy.
    Ratzi’s intolerant stance on modern lifestyles and offensive utterances haven’t endeared him to many.
    The protests will be quite amusing and he’ll be dodging muzzie suicide bombers too. I wonder if somebody will have a go at water bombing the popemobile using condoms.

15. William Harwood says:

Can Ratzinazi be sent word that the UK will not recognize his diplomatic immunity, and if he enters the country he will be arrested and handed over to the World Court to be prosecuted for the 60 million murders, through starvation and AIDS, that he perpetrated through his prohibition of sane birth control and sane disease control, first as his down syndrome predecessor’s Grand Inquisitor, and more recently as Fuhrer of the Vatican Reich?

That Christian Voice link is brilliant! I just love the way he has listed all the Peers, showing whether their votes were “Favourable to Jesus Christ” or not!! The man is genuinely certifiable!!!

17. rog says:

By forcing churches to be more acceptable to modern society, do we not run the risk of perpetuating them?

I have never understood why a gay person would want to be in a a church that does not accept them, much less become one of it’s senior managers – I am for equality, but can’t help thinking that groups excluded/persecuted by the church would be better employed fighting against it rather than working for it’s improvement.

18. Callisto says:

Sorry guys, you’re just gonna hafta pay for this little blood-sucking catholic parasite to visit your country. He’s the head of state of the Vatican state, therefore, YOU have to pay, as we did here in Aus when he came to Sydney to spout his catholic crap at ‘World Youth Day’.

We Aussie taxpayers had to pay for it; but I do hope there’s a massive street protest over his visit; rotten eggs in the face would be great. Get one back for me. I still want my money back for having to subsidize this catholic cunt’s free world trips, but I know that’s not going to happen, so please, throw some bad eggs for me!

19. sailor1031 says:

Help me out here folks. Isn’t there some United Nations rule about sovereign states, such as the Vatican, not interfering in the internal affairs of other sovereign states, such as the UK. Just asking….
    of course if the Vatican is NOT a sovereign state, but just a tax dodge of some kind, then I guess a state visit would not be in order…..
    but then again I guess the religionists CAN have it both ways….after all that’s natural law, innit?

20. uzza says:

Forget Yemen. The vatican is harboring terrorists. It’s the next front in the war on terror! Spread the word.

21. Sabina says:

Ah Christianity. Spreading hatred and intolerance while whining about being persecuted for centuries.

Tell us more about intolerance of religious freedoms, Nazi boy.

22. gsw says:

I am told that he is know in his home country as the Papa-Ratzi.

Discrimination as a religious right is stupid, I agree, but no more stupid than most religious teachings.

I hate to say it but the problem is not people like him, it is the other 80% who are “tolerant” and listen to what he has to say and all those who, literally, don’t care.

23. andrea says:

Eventually some country is going to have the balls to tell the nasty, kiddy-fiddler-loving, nazi-supporting, genocidal, gay-hating, woman-hating bigot to stay away thank you very much and incidentally stop trying to interfere in our democratic process (such as it is) IF you don’t mind!

I so wish it was going to be the UK. I very much doubt it though!

@sailor1031: I very much suspect that he gets away with it by putting on one of his silly hats and saying “I’m the Pope”, and then changing it for another silly hat and saying “Now I’m a head of state”!

@gsw: you’ve hit the nail on the head. People just don’t care, which is why their rulers know that they can do pretty much what they want!!

25. valdemar says:

sailor1031 – good point, the Vatican is a state and the Pope is itss leader. But one overlooks the usual rules with religions, you see. Also, it’s customary for Western democracies not to criticise one another’s internal affairs, but the Vatican is not a Western democracy. It’s a theocracy, like Iran, only better-dressed.

26. H. Davids says:

Andrea, for some reason our democratically elected officials don’t dare to ponder the wisdom of taking the Vatican – a theme-park in Italy – seriously, so it’s status quo until some politician dares to ask the question: Should the State pay much attention to religion?

27. Ivan says:

Angela_K said:

“I notice the Bigots’ Beano, the very catholic Torygraph [Daily Telegraph] is supporting Ratsnazi and his right to interfere with British politics.”

Indeed. It’s strange how they support interference from Rome when elsewhere in the same newspaper they are so against “interference” from Brussels.

28. Brian Jordan says:

I’m puzzled about this business of the Vatican being a country. I was under the impression that it was so recognised by the Italian government as a consolation prize when the “Papal States” were liberated. So why on earth does any government but the Italian one recognise it as a country?

This man is shifty, conniving and a disgrace to any country that lets him enter. He would do better to ponder the equality given to the thousands of tortured children who fell into the hands of his bestial priests. As for equality – not much equality with a horde of freeloading, unelected bishops in the House of Lords attempting to block euthanasia when 70% of the population are in favour.

I now hear that his interfering priests think too many painkilling drugs are used and prevenent a “good death.” True to form, anyway, that vicious little witch Mother Theresa – friend of dictators and travelled first class herself – took the same view. Really difficult not to puke even thinking about these horrors having any influence on anything.

30. “..the effect of some of the legislation… has been to impose unjust limitations on the freedom of religious communities to act in accordance with their beliefs”

Yes, in the same way that laws against murder and theft impose limitations on those who would like to kill and steal

31. Brian Jordan says:

Ok, I’ll let concordatwatch answer my question about the fake attributes of the Vatican. And by golly, you can’t get much flakier than that!
    It still doesn’t, though, seem to explain what it’s got to do with any international body beyond Benito Mussolini’s successors.

32. Neuseline says:

Let us all be grateful that bLiar is no longer PM. He would personally lie down for the pope to walk over, though I am sure that he will be right there at his buddy’s side.

33. pipkin1972 says:

I have been browsing this site for a couple of weeks as i like to familiarize myself with a site before i start commenting, usually its longer than two weeks but i feel very strongly about this matter.
    I think the subject is propriate to petition on but i agree with Neal O in that its not the most pressing issue regarding the catholic church.How about starting a petition calling for the popes arrest as a paedophile enabler.
    The chances of this happening are neglible but it would remind his followers or indeed anyone who thinks someone should be respected just because of religion what hypocrites they are.I dont know who it was but someone said if he had been the head of a chain of nurseries he would be in prison now.His fans should be reminded that if this was the case they would be appalled and then asked why they bend over backwards to either make excuses or turn a blind eye just because he’s the pope and not a ceo.