Faith-based treatment ordered for Christian cult mother who killed her son

A YOUNG Baltimore woman who starved her son to death after she became involved with a bizarre Christian cult has released from jail – on condition that she attends a rehabilitation programme at a faith-based treatment centre.

Ria Ramkissoon, who recently pleaded guilty to child abuse resulting in the death of her 16-month-old son, Javon Thompson, was given a more lenient sentence than the other cult members convicted of murder.

Ria Ramkissoon pictured with her son Javon shortly before his death

Cult leader Queen Antoinette, of 1 Mind Ministries, ordered her followers not to feed Javon when he did not say “Amen” during a mealtime prayer. The toddler died of starvation.  His body was later found stuffed in a suitcase in Pennsylvania. Ramkissoon testified against Antoinette, her daughter and another man, who were convicted of second-degree murder.  They have not been sentenced yet.

Ramkissoon, who has been in jail since her 2008 arrest, was given five years’ probation yesterday, and must complete a programme at a Christian-based, out-of-state residential treatment facility.
Assistant State’s Attorney Julie Drake called Ramkissoon’s sentence fair and compassionate. She says the state sees Ramkissoon as a victim.

In the beginning, I think I shared the view of a lot of people that we should just lock her up and throw away the key. That any mother who would allow her child to starve to death must be a cold and unfeeling person. [But] there was no malice in her at all regarding this baby. None. And we want to punish people for acts that are malicious.

Steve Silverman, Ramkissoon’s defence attorney, said:

She has been brainwashed. These people are manipulative murderers and now she is starting to realize that yes, she was really sucked in and duped by these people. I think she is starting to realise, albeit painfully realise, that there will be no resurrection [of Javon], that Queen Antoinette never spoke with God. Ria and her child were just pawns in the Queen’s fantasy world.

If Ramkissoon completes her treatment and follows all other conditions of her probation, she will not return to prison. But if she violates the terms, she could end up serving a 20-year sentence instead.

18 Responses to “Faith-based treatment ordered for Christian cult mother who killed her son”

1. Broadsword says:

It was faith that got Ramkissoon into this mess in the first place.
    Last thing she needs is more again. I’d hate religion after her experience but would probably play ball just to get of clink. She could become even more screwed up than she was originally but I find it hard to feel sorry for her.

2. OpenMind says:

Nice to see the solution is to rebrainwash the woman.

Good work America.

3. Alan says:

So in order to deprogram her from one loony cult they are sending her to another. Isn’t that like sending someone who was a Catholic for 20 years to be treated by the Mormons?

4. shargraves says:

Appalling events and an appalling outcome.

Death penalty is too good for the lot of them sick fucks. I’ve got a 1 year old son, and I hope he never says Amen his entire life.

Sickening. This woman and her supporters are playing the victim card or more like the “I was only obeying orders” defence.

Lock her up and throw away the key, as an example to others.

6. Tim Danaher says:

The phrase “Putting out the fire with gasoline” springs to mind…

7. Pete H says:

“She’s been brainwashed. What shall we do?”

“Let’s brainwash her again!”

So she’s not “cold and unfeeling” for ignoring the mother’s instinct to protect her child at all costs, because there was no malice? I’ve got news for you, Ms Drake – killing your child for any reason other than ending its suffering if it’s terminally ill is malicious. And the only victim here was that poor child.

And as for Mr Silverman – your client is a murderer too.

I’m in constant amazement that much of the world has a collective blind spot where religion is concerned.

Go ahead, fill her crazed mind with another load of bollocks and continue her delusions. That’ll be fine.

For fucks sake.

8. Heather Flight says:

It’s the blind leading the blind. At least she didn’t maliciously starve the little boy to death. That’s nice. Very fucking Christian!

9. sailor1031 says:

It takes quite some time for a person, even a child, to starve to death. What was the mother thinking during this time? I’m sure this poor child must have been protesting mightily and yet the mother does nothing? Now the solution is more religious programming? What bullshit!. It is obvious that, at the very least, this woman is mentally unfit to be in society and should be confined to the state mental hospital for as long as it takes.

10. William Harwood says:

A case could be made that the Establishment clause was never intended to permit fruitcake cults (Jehovah’s Witnesses and Christian Science come to mind) to kill their children. If “sincere belief” is accepted as a mitigating circumstance, then Osama bin Laden should get a free ride.

11. Anonymous says:

The US corrections service is so interwoven with the idea, “I found God in jail and I was saved; religion turned my life around.” It would be nice if there was research done to track progress of ex-cons and see if finding religion in jail actually does translate into reform after release. I have a feeling that this is just a long-perpetuated myth. The US loves a redemption story.

12. NeoWolfe says:

There is a zero tolerence in the US in the justice system for junkies who commit crimes to satisfy their addiction. You cannot play the victim card, and say, “I was out of my mind, I needed my fix, so I did the only thing I could think of to get it.” Off to jail you go!!!!

It enrages me that the religion card can be played. One brain crutch is no different from another. You commit a crime under the influence of drugs, you do the time. You commit a crime under the influence of religion, YOU SHOULD DO THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, she’s a victim, too, like every other brainwashed fundy, but so is everyone who got turned on to their first high. NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!

NeoWolfe

13. Buffy says:

Putting her into a faith-based treatment program is going to help her how?

Lets see the american legal system bends over backward so far that they have shoved their collective heads up their collective asses to accommodate some brainless religious person!!! PURE BS!!!
    A woman so brainwashed her brain has shrunk to nothing, allows HER kid to die because some other idiot told her to do so. and they are letting her go!!!! Free!!! I am VERY pro-choice, but when the fetus becomes a baby, the parent/s have 100% responsibly to its safety.
    Smoke a joint and go to prison…Kill you kid and go free!!!
    The american justice system is BROKEN!!!!

15. NeoWolfe says:

L.Long said:

“The american justice system is BROKEN!!!!”

Amen, brother.

NeoWolfe

16. Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by ManOnASoapBox: Faith-based treatment ordered for Christian cult mother who killed her son: A YOUNG Baltimore woman who starved he… http://bit.ly/9oIe2O

17. Now THAT’s not only an example of Religion being just a CULTivator of dysfunction, but also an example of how the Government REALLY IS ‘In Bed’ with Religion!! The ‘Separation of Church & State’ is now a JOKE!! Church & State are VERY MUCH MARRIED!! And they’re ‘forcing’ her to attend Psychoanalysis at yet ANOTHER Religiously-tainted Venue?? WTF??!! [>:-O

18. mjg021182 says:

WOW!! There’s a lot of venom felt here for religion in general, isn’t there??

Now, everybody take a moment to pause and breathe… There. That’s better, isn’t it?

First: This woman was part of a CULT, NOT a mainstream religion. Certainly not a generally accepted Christian religion (that particular type being my experience) but I would assume not a generally accepted Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist or Hindu one either. God and followers of God did not tell her to starve her baby. CULT LEADERS did.

Second: Even if you were to class this cult as a religion, tarring all religion with the same brush is as ridiculous as saying all women named Antoinette are evil, because the woman who told her to starve her baby was named Antoinette. Please be grownups.

Lastly:
    As for sending her to a faith-based treatment facility, I have no idea whether that was appropriate or not. Given the circumstances, I would suggest it was a poor decision guided by an overactive sense of political correctness.
    As for the facility itself, the article doesn’t say anything about which one it is, or even which religious affiliation it has, so it is very difficult to comment on it’s ability or otherwise to treat this woman. I very much doubt that they would send her to another cult, so I’m assuming it’s probably some non-denominational possibly Christian but could be even more vague than that, place that may or may not have the resources to deal with the spiritual fallout this woman may be facing.
    If they do have those resources, then that’s a good decision. If not, or if it wasn’t a part of the consideration of choosing the facility (ie they were aiming at political correctness as stated earlier) then I would suggest perhaps a secular facility would have been more appropriate. Especially given that, as she has just been removed from a cult, we really have no idea what, if any, religion she may become affiliated with in the future.

I understand everyone’s reticence about the decision to send this woman to a religious facility given the circumstances. But please, there is absolutely no need, nor any basis, for making sweeping statements lumping all faiths into the same category of this cult.

I can’t speak for other religions – although I assume the same applies to them – but I do know that the majority of Christians are caring, law-abiding citizens who would find the death of a minor – or any person for that matter – by deliberate starvation because of something so completely trivial as having not said Amen, to be completely abhorent and distressing. I certainly find it so.

mj