Anti-gay Baptist activist exposed

Anti-gay Baptist activist exposed

US ‘clinical psychologist’ Dr George Alan Rekers hired a rent boy ‘to lift his baggage’.

Rekers is a Southern Baptist minister who founded the right-wing Family Research Council and has nearly 30 years of virulently anti-gay writings to his – umm – credit.

According to this report, the doddering old quack has written such books as The Christian in an Age of Sexual Eclipse (1981), Growing Up Straight: What Families Should Know About Homosexuality (1982) and Shaping Your Child’s Sexual Identity (1982).

In the latter, Rekers writes that “gay liberationists” are plotting to “legalize pedophilia.” In Growing Up Straight, he writes:

Homosexual activists seek to lure our children into a deceptive and [destructive] fantasy world that ignores the obvious physical, social and moral boundaries of sexual oppression.

Also:

When scholars disregard divine law, they deliberately suppress truth and result in foolish and futile speculations.

Given his not-very-friendly attitude towards gays, why was Rekers recently spotted arriving from Europe at Miami International Airport with a male escort called “Lucien”, whose profile on Rentboy.com profile shows a shirtless young man with delicate features, guileless eyes, and sun-kissed, hairless skin?

The profile touts his “smooth, sweet, tight ass” and “perfectly built 8 inch cock (uncut)” and explains he is “sensual,” “wild,” and “up for anything”.

The Miami New Times takes up the story: on April 13, the “rent boy” arrived in Miami after a ten-day, fully subsidised trip to Europe. He was soon followed out of customs:

By an old man with an atavistic mustache and a desperate blond comb-over, pushing an overburdened baggage cart.

That man was George Alan Rekers, of North Miami – the callboy’s client and, as it happens, one of America’s most prominent anti-gay activists. Rekers, a Baptist minister who is a leading scholar for the Christian right, left the terminal with his gay escort, looking a bit discomfited when a picture of the two was snapped with a hot-pink digital camera.

Reached by New Times before a trip to Bermuda, Rekers said he learned Lucien was a prostitute only midway through their vacation.

I had surgery, and I can’t lift luggage. That’s why I hired him.

But his medical problems didn’t stop him from pushing his tottering baggage cart through MIA.

Rekers wouldn’t deny he met his slender, blond escort at Rentboy.com – which features homepage images of men in bondage and grainy videos of crotch-rubbing twinks – and Lucien confirmed it.

At the small western Miami town home he shares with a roommate, a nervous Lucien expressed surprise when we told him that Rekers denied knowing about his line of work from the beginning. “He should’ve been able to tell you that,” he said, fidgeting and fixing his eyes on his knees. “But that’s up to him.”

For decades, George Alan Rekers has been a general in the “culture wars”, though his work has often been behind the scenes. In 1983, he and James Dobson, America’s best-known homophobe, formed the Family Research Council, a DC-based, rabidly Christian, and vehemently anti-gay lobbying group that has become a standard-bearer of the nation’s extreme right wing.

Says Wayne Besen, a gay rights advocate in New York City and the executive director of Truth Wins Out, which investigates the anti-gay movement:

While he keeps a low public profile, his fingerprints are on almost every anti-gay effort to demean and dehumanize LGBT people. His work is ubiquitously cited by lobby groups that work to deny equality to LGBT Americans. Rekers has caused a great deal of harm to gay and lesbian individuals.

Rekers is a board member of the National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH), an organization that systematically attempts to turn gay people straight. And the Huffington Post recently singled out Rekers as a member of the American College of Pediatricians — an official-sounding outfit in Gainesville that purveys lurid, youth-directed literature accusing gays of en masse coprophilia.

Rekers lectures worldwide, from Europe to the Middle East, on teen sexuality. Yet during his ten-day sojourn with Lucien to London and Madrid, he had no lectures scheduled. Both men deny having sex on the trip, and emails exchanged between the two before their jaunt are cautiously worded.

Rekers wrote in an email dated March 21 obtained by New Times.

I’d like to propose another trip to Rome, Italy, for a week or more. This is so exciting to have a nice Travel Assistant and traveling companion! Wow! I’m so glad I met you.

And on March 26 he wrote:

I called and talked to the reservation guy in London and reserved a room with two twin beds.

In his interview with New Times, “Lucien” didn’t want to impugn his client, but he made it clear they met through Rentboy.com, which is the only website on which he advertises his services. Neither Google nor any other search engine picks up individual Rentboy.com profiles, any more than they pick up individual profiles on eHarmony or Match.com. You cannot just happen upon one.

Update: Rekers, according to this report, now claims that he sought out “Lucien” in order to “save him”.

Blogger Joe Jervis (Joe.My.God) sent a Facebook message to Rekers and he answered back “with a mixture of piety and phony amusement”. But his answer to Jervis’s email only raises more questions because Rekers contradicted his earlier explanation as to why he and “Lucien” were together.

However, he told Jervis that he seeks out folks like “Lucien” in order to “minister” to them:

I have spent much time as a mental health professional and as a Christian minister helping and lovingly caring for people identifying themselves as “gay.” My hero is Jesus Christ who loves even the culturally despised people, including sexual sinners and prostitutes. Like Jesus Christ, I deliberately spend time with sinners with the loving goal to try to help them …

Further update: Rekers’ name has mysteriously disappeared from The Family Research Council’s website.

33 responses to “Anti-gay Baptist activist exposed”

1. Har Davids says:

I guess none of his christian friends, with or without the right kind of ass, was available to come along on this trip. So who are we to judge the guy for stumbling upon Lucien at ‘rentboy’? If you’re not really internet-savvy, it’s a mistake anyone can make. To err is human, after all.

2. Broadsword says:

With the resources of his right-wing organisation Rekers would have quashed this story immediately if untrue. What is it with religious fundies of whatever faith? They seem to base their outlook on what they disapprove of or hate. There’s never anything positive about their existence.
    As with the Vatican child abuse scandals I’m sure there’s more to cum?

All I can say is, “Haaarrrrr! Haaarrrrr! Haaarrrrr!”.
    I’m sure Basil Brush would have done it better.

I had Lucien once, and he was very good – at GARDENING, of course!

Some great stuff from the American College of Pediatricians here:

The American College of Pediatricians (the College) is committed to helping children reach their optimal physical and emotional potential (sic). For this reason, the College has reviewed the available science on the nature of same-sex attraction (SSA). This summary is intended to empower parents and their children to make healthy lifestyle choices regarding sexual behavior.

Researchers agree that sexual orientation develops from a combination of environmental and biological influences. The debate is over whether or not change of sexual orientation is enduring or even possible. Homosexuality affirming researchers believe that inborn biological factors trump any environmental contribution. Therefore, they consider sexual orientation to be innate and immutable. These researchers and therapists view SSA as a normal variant of human sexual development. Any effort to alter or eliminate SSA is equated with trying to change a person’s ethnicity. Homosexuality affirming therapists therefore oppose re-orientation therapy in all cases, arguing that those who are ambivalent about their same-sex attractions actually suffer from “internalized homophobia” and require counseling that will allow them to accept their innate homosexuality.

Other researchers, however, maintain that science tells a very different story – one of minimal biological influence, and a high degree of sexual fluidity. They argue that an objective review of the data strongly suggests that unwanted SSA is both preventable and changeable for many who desire those outcomes. While some of these therapists consider all SSA to be a psychosexual developmental disorder, others reject this notion. The construct that unites them is their insistence on a patient’s right to informed consent and self determination. (My emphasis)

“Opinion on the matter is divided: all the other scientists say it is, but I say it isn’t”!

It’s a damned good job that “Jesus Christ” DOES love sinners, or these cretins would be friendless!

6. PJH says:

Wot, no mention of the 16 year old boy he’s adopted?

While he’s against gays adopting…

Myers is a wag! I loved this bit:

He had picked the young fellow out from a web site that describes his sexual attributes and offered explicit services for pay, but Dr Rekers said he just hired him to…”lift his luggage”. I am unfamiliar with that euphemism, but I’m sure it was fun.

8. Broadsword says:

Buy his book if you like.
    I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK!

9. Pete H says:

Hah, another virulent anti-gay campaigner falls.

Have they not figured out the formula yet?

The more outwardly anti-gay you are, the more likely it is that you’re actually gay yourself, and have some self-hate/lack of acceptance issues going on.

Rather than raging against gay people in a desperate effort to prove that “I’m not gay, no not me, look, I hate the gays, see?” – just accept your situation and get on with your life like everyone else on this planet does. “Play the hand you’re dealt”, as my Dad used to say.

If you don’t want to be “out” and don’t want anyone to find out, just keep your trap shut with the hate speech. People wouldn’t know/care who you are if it weren’t for your anti-gay grandstanding, and as long as you are discreet, nobody is likely to find out. Nobody cares what you do in the privacy of your own home. Except your fellow religiots of course, but then that’s your own fault for hanging out with them, with their obsession with what people get up to when naked. Get some more worldly, tolerant, less delusional friends and you’ll be fine.

I absolutely love it when one of these vile, hateful little bigots gets caught out in their own hypocrisy.

10. Marcus says:

What sordid, secretive little lives the most religious of people seem to lead. If it isn’t choirboys it’s rent boys.

11. Broadsword says:

Anyone remember this Little Britain clip? Sir Norman Fry MP’s weak attempt to explain away getting caught gay cruising.

Broadsword: Looks like those young “fellers” have got wood!

And how about Derek “Gay dear? Who dear? Me dear? No dear?” Faye:

There’s more about Rekers here, including links to other articles:

Rekers continues on in this paper to say that all the data and evidence that supports same sex couples are equally able to be nurturing and loving parents is false because those students only factor in to foster children, which Rekers claims to all have psychological problems, that the samples were too small and not random, and they have not been done for a long enough period of time (summary page 1). Rekers also states that homosexual couples are far less stable than heterosexual ones and that homosexual people are all psychologically damaged. He also states that same-sex couples in more tolerant cultures like the Netherlands are quite unstable because they are psychologically damaged.

15. FedupwithR says:

They must have split personalities these suppressed homosexual/ homosexuals. Pete H is spot on. The more anti the more suspect.

16. chrsbol says:

The Norman Fry you tube clips remind me of my time in the RN when a stoker came down the mess with a bottle of rum. When asked how he got it,he replied “I was taking a leak when I tripped up and fell right into the Chief EO’s mouth who happened to be lying on the floor.” No hidden gays anymore onboard I’ve been told it’s compulsory!

17. Broadsword says:

I’ve had a quick look through a few online xian newspapers and none of them mention Rekers. Plenty about the fat xian on a stepladder though.

So many of these christians are spewing their bile as career moves. They are as christian, in the sense that they claim, as I am. And I am an atheist. Consider all the exposed RC’s and then consider all the RCs and other christians mouthing the opposite of how they feel and behave.

Just a thought, but how much money exactly is this creature making from all this “gay cure” bollocks? I happen to know (but not from experience, sad to say!) that these escorts charge an absolute fortune for their time, and not only has he stumped up for this, but all the young man’s expenses on a ten day visit to Europe! Don’t tell me that a “practising Christian” couldn’t be putting his money to better use!!

20. Alan says:

I should wager that Birdshit takes it up his back passage. Just based upon the amount of hatred he spews.

21. Barry Duke says:

Barrie, I would guess that if one’s a Baptist minister, the cost of a luggage-lifting hooker would surely be tax-deductible. Simples.

Talking of male escorts, last year I was chatting to one around November, and asked him in passing whether he was planning a holiday soon. “Fuck no,” he replied, “November and December are my busiest months. It’s when all the old fellas get their winter fuel allowance.”

Another once told me that his favourite punter was a Catholic bishop in London. All he had to do was stand naked and blow up balloons while the bishop wanked himself silly. Afterwards, he would be required to kneel with the priest, and hear him pray for forgiveness. “Then he’d book me for the following week.”

OMG! I very nearly said: ” But I bet Barry would know”!! Hahaha!!!

And regarding the winter fuel allowance: I suppose they could always say that they needed something warm inside them on those chilly nights!

24. Buffy says:

My wife carries my baggage. She’s quite good at it.

25. Stonyground says:

This guy is really rather sad though isn’t he. Everyone here knows the huge amount of harm that he has done to the cause of gay rights in his country and we all understand that that translates to real harm to real people’s lives. Justice has been served in my opinion by the miserable existence that people like him endure because of the self loathing caused by their religion. He is basically living the life that gay people have had to live for countless years in less elightened times, because of religion and because of people like him.

On the subject of homosexuality being natural and inbuilt surely all gay people know from personal experience that this true, no matter how religious people try to deny it.

26. Alan says:

I have sent the follwoing email to the FRC

I would like to know why you have taken all references to Dr Rekers from your website. After all wasn’t he one of your founder members and experts in the homosexual agenda.

Do you disbelieve his explanation about hiring a male friend to carry his luggage around Europe?

I will update you if I get a response

27. Aad Molenkamp says:

My 4 wives carry my luggage, Buffy.

Achmed the Terrorist

28. NeoWolfe says:

Does it ever occur to anyone else that these rightwingers that continue to be exposed as closet gays chose their profession as a result of the erroneous guilt about their skewed sexual attraction as they enter puberty? A wild over compensation for what to they felt ashamed of?

I am reminded on the final scene of “Blade 2” when the dying Dracula tells Blade that “in the end, the thirst will win.” I guess it does.

NeoWolfe

29. Jen says:

Smile Rekers, you’re on the Colbert Report!

30. […] PluginBUT what the Miami rentboy DID do was apply body rubs once a day – in the nude – to anti-gay activist and Baptist minister George Alan Rekers during their ten-day vacation in Europe. Dr George Alan […]

31. […] to “lift his luggage” ­– but the 20-year-old tells a very different story. (See more reports here and here.) Rekers likes 'em slim, young and hung … […]