When lesbians hold hands it’s ‘overtly sexual’. ‘Straights’ get a free pass

A LESBIAN couple from Dorset say they were forced out of their church after they were spotted holding hands during a service.

Kersten Pegden and Nina Lawrence

Kersten Pegden and Nina Lawrence said that other members of the congregation at St Nicholas Anglican church in Corfe Mullen thought their behaviour was “overtly sexual”.

They said other couples within the congregation held hands, and they felt it was their sexuality that had influenced the complaints.

Pegden, 38, had attended the church for many years. She separated from her husband last September and is now going through a divorce. She began a relationship with Lawrence , 31, last November but the new relationship had split the congregation of mainly elderly people, according to this report.

Pegden told how her daughter  Emily, 12, has left the church choir and her son Elliot, 14, is no longer a server at the church that attracts up to 70 worshippers each Sunday.

She said:

The vicar, who is a woman, wanted to know the details about my divorce, how long it was going to be, and the fact it had dragged on too long. And she added that members of the congregation said that during hymns we were dishonouring God because they said we were singing the hymns to each other, and that we were overtly sexual with each other.

They said even the way we looked at each other was not acceptable. And as I was not divorced from my husband I was seen to be openly adulterous as well.

Pegden added:

I said all we do is hold hands. I pointed out there is an elderly couple who hold hands. It’s no more sexual than if a straight couple did it. These people who are watching us, instead of worshipping, are the ones dishonouring God.

Lawrence, said:

I have been out for 13 years and I’ve never had this reaction.

In a statement, a spokesman for St Nicholas Church said:

St Nicholas welcomes people from a variety of backgrounds and gives private pastoral care to those in need. Issues have arisen with members of the congregation which are being addressed compassionately.

Pegden has written a letter to the vicar, Rev Pamela Walker, telling her why she was leaving the church, which she has attended for four years.

The letter included the line:

I have spent 25 years hiding and do not wish to continue that now.

Michael Black left and John Morgan

Meanwhile, we learn via the BBC that a gay couple – Michael Black and John Morgan, from Brampton, Cambridgeshire – are to sue the owners of guest houseMike Wilkinson and his wife Susanne – who turned them away because of their sexuality.

Civil liberties organisation Liberty is acting for Black and Morgan and said it planned to bring a civil case.

Legal director James Welch said the Equality Act (Sexual Orientation) Regulations 2007 made it against the law for public authorities and other service providers to discriminate on the grounds of sexual orientation.

This isn’t about money for them. Their only motive is in order to prove the point that it is unlawful and should not have happened.  If they win, they have said they will give any money away to charity.

Hat Tip: BarrieJohn and Ian E.

27 Responses to “When lesbians hold hands it’s ‘overtly sexual’. ‘Straights’ get a free pass”

Why gay people want anything to do with the Church I have no idea. What part of “We don’t want your type” do they not understand?

2. Chris says:

I’m with barriejohn on this one.

I’m gay and would no more join the church (any church) than I would sign up to the BNP.

I can only assume that these (otherwise perfectly sane-looking) women enjoy being viewed as “intrinsically evil”

3. AngieRS says:

Well, if the old farts don’t like your particular form of god bothering, go elsewhere. As for the Gay couple, I fancy this will draw out the homophobes within call me Dave’s party. Wonder what Theresa May will have to say about it. I bet she’s well choked having to deal with this sort of issue this early into her reign.

4. Harry says:

Yet another problem caused by women priests. I mean what man would have an issue with watching lesbians get cozy?

5. Thornavis. says:

It’s nice to know that the CofE is not just allowing women into the priesthood but also permitting them to share in the bigotry.
    AngieRS, what has this got to do with Theresa May ?

The thought of a woman vicar questioning and probing into a couple of lesbians, who no doubt have already suffered much, is shameful. Interfering bitch.

Why anyone would associate with this christian crap is beyond me.

7. chrsbol says:

You can visit Teresa May’s site here

oops wrong one!

Why don’t the churches come clean and put up a sign at the entrance stating “Only the brain-dead, bigots and racists welcome here” because that is what they want, like-minded morons.

And for the benefit of anyone who has religious leanings and is gay: dump the god bollocks and enjoy your life.

9. Uzza says:

ZOMG, I’m a pedophile. A gay pedophile. I hold hands with the baby all the time.

Arseholes.

10. JohnMWhite says:

“These people who are watching us, instead of worshipping, are the ones dishonouring God.”

Nailed it.

11. Stuart H. says:

Well, it was Dorset. Maybe the rest of the congregation just got worried at the idea that two people who weren’t even cousins might be shagging each other.

The way the religious system works is that the priest decides how you must think and behave. And to keep you off balance this keeps shifting. There is, of course, no understandable rules. You can’t say, “Tell me what to do and I will do it.” That removes the need for priestly interpretation. And they do love putting you right.

That leaves aside the core point that the bible and what it purposed to say is interpretated in any way they choose. And which bible?

13. Broadsword says:

Ladies, just leave the church.
    They hate you, don’t want you, it’s their loss.
    When the geriatric worshippers are dead there’ll be no-one left to drone out pointless hymns.
    Take yourselves and your kids away from them and the bigots will have lost the current and next generation of clones to fill the collection tin.
    I’m surprised a church has the confidence to turn anyone away with attendances falling.

14. Broadsword says:

Further to my recent statement about “droning out pointless hymns”, have you noticed the glazed facial expressions of people singing on Songs of Praise?

Mind control, scary.

15. godlesssodamite says:

i’ve allways thought that being a gay christian is like being a black ku klux klan member.

16. AngieRS says:

Thornavis, the Gay couple are using the equalities laws to sue the b+b owners. May is the equalities minister who hasn’t exactly got the best record when it comes to voting for LGBT rights as some 43,000 folk on facebook are pointing out. Although it will be a matter for the courts she will without a doubt be drawn into it.

17. Alan C. says:

Female and gay, two of the best reasons not to join a Church, turkeys voting for xmas comes to mind.
    The fact that it’s a woman vicar makes it even worse.

18. kosmofilo says:

They need a Unitarian Universalist temple there.

19. Thornavis. says:

AngieRS, whatever Theresa May thinks about it she has no control over the courts so I can’t see that she’s of any immediate relevance to the B&B case and of no relevance at all to the two ladies from Dorset.

20. Broadsword says:

chrsbol

Ta for the Teresa May link.

I realise now I’ve been chucking my muck in the wrong direction. I’ll telephone the government minister for the last time and apologise.

21. AngieRS says:

Yes, well, Thornavis, I wasn’t talking about the Lesbian couple in relation to May but about the Gay couple refused services from the b+b owners and if you think she will have no influence over that then you must be quite naive to think so.
    My original post seemed quite clear, there is no inference about May to the Lesbian couple, or as you put it, the two ladies from Dorset. My comment about May was in direct reference to the Gay couple or should I say the two gentlemen from Cambridgeshire.

22. NeoWolfe says:

I am reminded of George W. Bush holding hands with Prince Abdullah of Saudi Arabia. Somebody might have been hired to photograph the buttfucking scene thereafter, but I don’t want to see it. :-)

While I think that getting a blowjob while driving should be illegal, I think that holding hands should be legal no matter what the circumstances. I just cannot perceive the danger.

NeoWolfe

23. Yvonne says:

They would be very welcome in a Unitarian church or a Quaker meeting house or a Metropolitan Community Church. Unitarian and Quaker churches have welcomed LGBT people since the early 1970s, and the MCC was set up by LGBT Christians. Unitarian churches also welcome humanists, agnostics & atheists who want to explore their spirituality (and we don’t expect you to stop being a humanist, atheist or agnostic). It is sad that they were not welcomed by their church of choice. According to the Telegraph, they now attend the Metropolitan Community Church in Dorchester.

24. Heather Flight says:

You can’t expect equality in an organization that condemns you. Why don’t the lesbians start a gay church organization? It couldn’t be any less credible than the one that turned them away. Alternatively, perphaps they’ll really see the light and find something more productive to do with their Sundays like gardening.

25. NeoWolfe says:

Yvonne,

Well, to tell you the truth, I get tired of being abused by atheists because I think that a conclusion that there is no designer is premature. But, at the same time, I also understand universalists, who seek to find wisdom in all religions and philosophies. My rub with that approach is that you think humans are different from ants. They are not. They have directives, find food, make babies, survive. You may think that humans are on some higher path, to find and understand the creator, but they are not. Everything they imagine about a gentle creator is refuted by the cruelty of the food chain, and the destruction of nature. Without conscience, never stops to consider, kills at random. Earthquakes, tsunamis, plagues, hurricanes. It never says, “I’m sorry”.

So, despite the best of your intentions, your philosophy is ridiculous. As an alternate route, you might try science. It can be sad and lost, but at least it’s real.

NeoWolfe

26. [...] month we reported via the BBC that a gay couple – Michael Black and John Morgan, from Brampton, Cambridgeshire – [...]

27. seathanaich says:

What I don’t understand is why women, or gays, or gay women have any interest in supporting an organisation which actively hates and oppresses them. I mean, if a white, heterosexual husband and father like me can figure out that Christianity is a load of bollocks – and I’m the demographic it was created to appeal to – then how come gay women are still happily minding their own prison? I don’t get it.

Come on people, the Englightenment occurred 200 years ago. Gods are imaginary. When we die, we decompose. Stop pretending otherwise, it’s insulting to human intelligence when adults believe in fairy tales.