Life’s hell under the Jewish Taliban

A JEWISH singer was sentenced by a religious court in Jerusalem to 39 lashes for performing in front of a mixed audience.

Erez Yechiel, more sinner than singer (click to see what riled the rabbis)

According to this report, Erez Yechiel, was beaten 39 times to make him “repent,” after a ruling by a rabbinic court late last month.

Rabbi Amnon Yitzhak, founder of the Shofar organisation aimed at bringing Jews “back to religion”, has made it his recent mission to fight off the “evil” of men and women mixing at musical performances, and his “judicial panel,” comprising himself,  Rabbi Ben Zion Mutsafi and some other Orthodox nutcase, sentenced to Yechiek to 39 lashes in order to “rid him of his sins.”

In a video clip of the court Ben Zion said that those who lead others into sin, such as artists who make men and women attend performances or dance together, have no place in the world to come.

He displayed a leather strip he said was made by his father from ass and bull skin, with which Yechiel was beaten.

Yechiel, who said, “I accept upon myself the lashing for my sins,” was ordered to stand by a wooden pole with his head facing north (“from whence the evil inclination comes”). His hands tied with a azure-colored rope (“a symbol of mercy”), and the sentence was then carried out.

It’s not clear which of the lunatics administered the beating.

The "judicial panel" headed by rabbi Amnon Yitzhak, left. Rabbi Ben Zion Mutsafi is pictured holding the leather strap used to beat Yechiel

Days after the punishment was meted out, YNET News carried a disturbing article about Jews in ultra-Orthodox communities who are forced to live a life of deception after rejecting their religion.

The report opens with the reported suicide of a man, given the pseudonym Matan, an ultra-Orthodox Jew “who stopped believing several years ago”.

Author of the piece, Ravid Oren, said:

Matan was not alone. He was part of a growing phenomenon found deep within ultra-Orthodox society, part of a large group of haredim of all streams and divisions who call themselves the “Marranos,” secret Jews – haredim against their will, who have stopped believing, but are forced to live a lie and hide it from the people around them.

Oren quotes a man he identifies as Moishi:

We, like the Marranos in Spain (Jews forced to abandon their religion during the 14th and 15th centuries), are forced to lead a different lifestyle than what we believe in. I sobered up about religion five years ago, but I can’t change my life, because I am closed off tightly within haredi society, with family and children. Inside, I am completely secular, but because of the fear of hurting my family, I have to remain haredi on the outside.

Moishi added:

Today I am sure that there is no God. And I don’t observe the mitzvoth anymore … I drink and turn on the light on Yom Kippur and use the internet on Shabbat. All in secret, of course. A few times I even drove on a Friday evening with ‘Marrano’ friends like myself to Tel Aviv to have ice-cream.

Oren points out:

The haredi world of 2010 is still closed off and isolated. Fearful of any peek into secularism and of any contact with outside elements, it keeps to itself, is rigid and detests when people from within start asking questions. This is the reason the ‘Marranos’ are afraid to speak up, to reveal to their families, wives and children that they no longer believe. So it’s no wonder that, after many reservations, they agreed to reveal the daily prison in which they live, in hopes that others in their situation understand they are not alone.

Hat tip: Adam Tjaavk (singer report) and Michael Cohen

30 responses to “Life’s hell under the Jewish Taliban”

1. marcus says:

“I accept upon myself the lashing for my sins.”

Then you deserve all you get, you moron!

2. Prime Numbers says:

The religious leaders should be arrested on charges of assault. Why one rule for the religious and one for the rest of us?

3. Michael says:

The Rancid Rabbi Amnon Yitzhak should bugger off to Iran with all his mates. There be well at home there

Fundie Jews, Fundie Xtians, Fundie Islames, fundie Buddhist, fundie Hindos. What is the difference? None really, it all depends on which one has decided to kill the most. Looking thru history will show one or another killing with glee.

5. Tommykey says:

As I never get tired of saying, because I am provided with so many examples of it, Orthodox Judaism is a mental disorder.

6. Anonymous says:

Haaretz has this report as well

I hope there are aid groups in Israel for those who wish to try and leave this cult of ultra-Orthodoxy.

7. tony e says:

What sort of twat agreeds to be flogged, oh I forgot, a religious one!

8. Newspaniard says:

What would they have done if he had just said “B*llocks” to the “court” and walked away?

9. Har Davids says:

How well indoctrinated Erez Yechiel must be, to allow this bunch of idiots to have him flogged. He’s lucky to get aways with 39 lashes, in the good old days the Shofar-people want to bring back to the Jews, he would have been stoned, I guess. It’s time religion is classified as a mental disorder; these people need help, if not for themselves, than for the planet.

As for walking away from this ‘court’: once you’re in, you can’t imagine a life without it.

10. Stonyground says:

Presumably these cults always have to be so insular and closed to stop reality getting in. One of the worst aspects of religion is the disconnect between what is a ‘sin’ and what does actual harm.

What is the matter with this guy, can’t he think for himself? Of course if he did he would be ostracised by his community. The three beardy twats in the photograph need removing from the gene pool.

12. Holland says:

Music like that deserves 666 lashes

13. Talitha says:

There is nothing better than a good beating to bring somebody back to God.
    It’s just a pity that these Hook-nosed Dreidel Spinners had to go and murder Jesus.

14. Adam Tjaavk says:

Hofesh – freedom from religion

Hofesh: If You Need to Break out of the Haredi World

_____

15. MrMonist says:

Talitha, you are scum…

16. Broadsword says:

Silly, very silly.
    He’s not compelled to submit to this under Israeli law so as Mr e states, serves him right.
    Are these the religiots who mustn’t work that secular Israeli taxpayers fund? It must be the biggest bloody con trick in history. I wouldn’t allow anyone in my household who didn’t pull their weight.

Next time the Chief Rabbi is wittering away on Thought for the Day he might give us his views on this aspect of his religion. These three hard hats are on a power trip, founded on nonsense, obeyed by fuckwits who can’t think for themselves and the entire country kept afloat by American cash.

18. Ivan says:

“He displayed a leather strip he said was made by his father from ass and bull skin.”

Are you sure that isn’t ass and ball skin?

Maybe the singer could give these nutters a song during the whupping. What about the old Elvis Presley hit?:

“Don’t be cruel, to a heart that true..”

He has repented, accepted his punishment and as there are only men on the “jury” he could give them a song.

20. Talitha says:

Mr Monist: “Talitha, you are scum…”

Thank you and God Bless you for your persecution.

21. elainek123 says:

Thats why I hate religion to the core.

Quote found in ‘The Atheist’s Bible’ — ‘The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due to the absence from Jerusalem of a Lunatic Asylum.- Havelock Ellis

22. tony e says:

Given the success they have had with ‘sinners’, I suppose it’s a case
    of ‘Shofar, Shogood!’

Sorry for the dreadful pun.

23. Michael says:

Mr Monist please do not persecute Talitha- haven’t The Landover Baptist Church been though enough these past months!!

24. Sean Reynolds says:

I need some chimpanzees, a bag of sand & a length of hose and a Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers LP because I’d like some quantitative data on exactly how much sand someone has to get up their arse before they start attacking others over something as petty as shitty, shitty music and dancing. I mean the religion is old, but Israel is a flatpack country recently installed in the area which is regressing to primitive sharia type bullshit. It’s gotta be something in the sand in all their asses right? Makes me think radical muslim clerics have coffins full of the stuff like dracula in case they find themselves chilling the fuck out in another land.

25. Newspaniard says:

@Michael. Landrover have a baptist church? Do I need to register my Discovery?

26. Landover appreciator says:

MrMonist: Have you not been around long enough to be aware that Talitha is a satirist? Apparently a very effective one, since she made YOU realize that the fanatics she impersonates are indeed scum.

Elaine: What a great quote! So much that is wrong with the world today is due to the bollocks that has come out of Israel since time immemorial. There must surely be some fundamental mental weakness in the people of that region.

Nice to hear from our godly sister Talitha after all this time, upholding the truth of HIS WORD as ever!

I must say that I was creased up with laughter at the sight of The Three Stooges there, poring over dusty old tomes in their endeavours to ascertain just what punishment was appropriate in this case! But, as an ex-evangelical Christian, I would be most grateful if someone could point me to ANY Bible verse which teaches that flogging, or any other punishment, can expunge sin. I was always under the impression that the very central plank of both Judaism and Christianity was that SACRIFICE was necessary to cleanse the stain of sin!

29. Ed says:

i think a lot of people observe religious rites and ceremonies for appearances sake; pathetic but true.

still, the Taliban comparison is a bit overdone. I’d rather get 29 lashes than be buried up to my neck and stoned.

30. Maayan says:

Marranes? It does not mean hidden jews!!! It means pigs from maranos in spanish. This name was given from the catholics to the jewish converts. A hidden jew is a “Crypto Jew”.
    But all this make me sick. To fanatics make nobody willing to believe.
    I hope that there is some kind of organization to help the one who want to escape from there. I watched “Kadosh”, so now I understand the unbelievable that there are really sick people among the religious Jews. They should be kicked out.