A CHRISTIAN church official whose name cannot be revealed has begun a jail sentence in New Zealand for abusing his daughter over a six year period.

According to this report, the father made his young daughter pray for forgiveness with him after he had sexually abused her.

Christchurch District Court Judge Stephen Erber highlighted the hypocrisy of the 45-year-old offender’s conduct: working with Christian youth while abusing his daughter from the age of five to 11 years.

The victim, now aged 20, read her victim impact statement at her father’s sentencing, sometimes in tears but dismissing him strongly at the end. She said:

He wrecked my life and destroyed my family. I have no love for him. I don’t care about him anymore.

She said she had lost all respect for the church, God and the Bible as a result of her father’s offending.

He was supposed to be Christian but look at all the evil he was doing.

The 45-year-old man’s name must remain suppressed – at the request of his family – as he began a three year four month jail term on five indecency charges against the girl.

His daughter said he looked like a monster to her. He would make her pray with him for forgiveness after the sexual abuse, but she knew she had not done anything wrong.

I wanted Dad to say what he had done but he just lied and never took responsibility.

She told the court how her life had deteriorated.  She became withdrawn and eventually resorted to drugs and alcohol, missing school, and causing pain for her mother.

The mother, who had tried to take her own life after the abuse was discovered, told the court she felt like a failure as a mother.

She said the man was praying all the time and asking God for forgiveness.

In the last three years he has made our lives hell, admitting what he did and then minimising it.

Defence counsel Steve Hembrow said the man accepted he was the cause of the tragedy for the whole family.

He cannot understand how he moved from a loving capable parent to an abuser of his daughter.

Since the offending ended nine years ago he had undergone counselling. Hembrow asked that the man’s jail sentence not be “crushing”.

Judge Erber ruled out a home detention sentence. He said the father’s hypocrisy was an aggravating feature of the case, and referred to his conduct as being “as gross a breach of trust as possible”.

Hat tip: David

28 Responses to “Christian father – a church official – made daughter pray after repeatedly abusing her”

1. Har Davids says:

Three years and four months after this! Child-molesters seem to have a hard time in jail; are the authorities leaving it up to the prison-population to add some extra punishment? Doesn’t sound right to me.

2. Lucy says:

just throw away the key

3. Marcus says:

Perhaps he could train to be a priest while he’s in the land of striped sunshine.

4. Gordon says:

So he goes to jail for less time than she was abused by him?

5. David Anderson says:

“Since the offending ended nine years ago he had undergone counselling. Hembrow asked that the man´s jail sentence not bo “crushing””
    Don´t get that, unless the counselling was done inside his own church and thus kept secret.
    Three years and four months? As Har Davids says Doesn´t sound right to me.

6. tony e says:

I suppose his name has been suppressed due to the fact he is likely to get a kicking should the other offenders find out. What a coward, happy to give it out but scared for himself. Print his name so the shame should follow him around for the rest of his life.

7. Lucy says:

@tony e.

Don’t reckon this kind of person actually is capable of shame.

You don’t have to be the father of a daughter, as I am, to feel the deepest pity for that poor child and revulsion at the monster of a father. The abuse started at five years old! And then they “prayed” so that he could be forgiven. After forgiveness the next abuse would occur. Meanwhile he is a church official parotting his religious and no doubt hypocrital and sanctimonious claptrap to his christian associates.

What comes across also is the lifelong emotional trauma inflicted on the victim. A life ruined, mature relationships impossible, and a descent into alcoholic misery. The effect of sexual abuse on children is something Ratzinger never seemed to understand. “Let’s pray together” as if that is going to cure the hurt.

9. Milz says:

3 YEARS! SERIOUSLY? You get more then that for theft. Scariest story I ever heard on Halloween!

10. Graham Martin-Royle says:

@Broga, I think you’ll find that they prayed so that SHE could be forgiven, after all, it’s always the womans fault according to people like him.

I think his name has been suppressed to keep her name out of the papers.

@Graham Martin-Royle

Of course. It is always the woman. But isn’t religion just so cruel and macabre while its followers continue to delight in their smug self righteousness.

12. Lucy says:

It was the religion that made it impossible for her to ‘tell’ and be believed. That is one of the common features of the Catholic abuse stuff. Children would never be believed.

One other thing. I do think that people can recover from trauma and betrayal. It does them no favours to talk as if their lives are ruined irrevocably. I am not trying to belittle the damage, but people can rebuild in remarkable ways.

@Lucy

You make a sound point. The children are not believed. Even the parents are in denial.

I hope they can rebuild, and I take your word for it, but there just seems to be so many people who are well into adulthood and still struggling with what was done to them. My own children grew up natural born atheists although that was no doubt absorbed from the family life around them.

14. Don says:

I agree with David Anderson. What was this ‘counselling’? If he revealed his abuse to a ‘counsellor’, by what right did they keep it quiet?

The words of a (gay) friend of mine, aged 51:

My abuse was physical and sexual but also mentally tortured into keeping things secret or expect consequences if I uttered any words to anyone this at a age of 12 I was very homesick and I think if had not been for this I may not have been abused. The lights went off in the dorm at 9pm he then did his rounds of the dorm half an hour later and would take me to his room at the end of the dorm and started comforting me and letting me watch his television. This went on for a few weeks then followed by getting crisps and sweets and cuddles. This then proceeded to being fondled a few weeks later followed by him rubbing my cock and pressing his cock on my backside. Then followed by him playing with my cock and on and on it went until months on I ended up being buggered on a weekly basis. This continued for coming on four years. In that time I was going through puberty and did not know what fuck was going on in my head. At the same time I was beginning to realize I was attracted boy’s instead of girls I was totally fucked up. My friend Paul in the room next to me who was a good looking guy was one of his favourites and received much more attention than me so I don’t need to to tell you what he was subject to other than to add his marriage broke down and suffered a nervous breakdown in later life. This was only my generation this had being going on for years before and after I was at the school and years after. Can you understand how I am totally fucked up and being gay has made coping with this ten times worse. I have never been able to have anal intercourse with anyone an break into sweats when anyone other than a partner of many years has been intimate with me. I find it extremely hard to trust or get close to anyone and has been the spanner in the works of many relationships.
    I have had a lifetime of counseling, psychiatrists, psychologists, and neurologists for my seizures. You cannot stop the nightmares, sweats, pannick attacks, deep depression and suicidal tendances. I cope with some great friends and the support of my school friends who have all been deeply affected by this monster.
    You have got to remember there was no such thing as support groups after we left boarding school in 1976 never mind being able to talk to our devout Catholic parents about it. It took nearly ten years for my parents to finally accept we had been abused and that was only because we approached all our parents as a group of school friends. I think my Dad did had his suspicions something was wrong me a few years later because of my behaviour. But I know my Mother would never accept abuse was happening in her church. It took over ten years for both of of them to finally realize I had not been lying. Time has moved at a snail’s pace and it is only now in this last 2-3 years that the perpetrators are finally being brought to justice. I can only live in hope the Catholic church will eventually have to hand over the perpetrators for the law in the land to deal with. But be assured we will never go away.

My apologies for the very long post, and you will just have to take my word for it that this is exactly what he has told me. I am, however, quite confident that he has not made this up!

It is very disappointing to see that even though we have CAPTCHAs on the site now that does not prevent our comments from disappearing for moderation! Will anyone read this today, I wonder?

17. Don says:

That might be a glitch. My comment came up straight away.

Is there still such a thing as a glitch?

@barriejohn

I have just read it barriejohn.

19. Stonyground says:

As I read it this guy was praying for forgiveness for himself rather than for his daughter. That is the problem with religion in general, and Christianity in particular. If you can pray for forgiveness, you can commit horrible acts and disregard the consequences. The focus is upon you and the eternal destiny of your soul, any pain and misery that you cause by your actions is irrelevant. If you want to be even more evil you can selectively read the Bible and convince yourself that God really does approve of your actions.

But you haven’t read my earlier and much more serious post, Broga. What’s the point?

21. William Harwood says:

Note that the girl’s memory of being assaulted was always present. It was not “recovered” at the prompting of an alleged therapist. That is the difference between true accounts of child abuse such as this one, and the thousands of baseless allegations based on false memories put into a patient’s mind by perpetrators of the “recovered memory” hoax. I have yet to see a psychotherapist jailed for destroying lives (even prompting at least one suicide) by manipulating patients into making false allegations of abuse that never happened–although a recent Law and Order SVU episode showed such a therapist being arrested. And juries have awarded damages in the millions of dollars against self-styled therapists who have destroyed whole families with their recovered memory masturbation fantasy.
    Let me repeat: This case is NOT an example of false memory syndrome. All of the evidence presented is consistent with the abuse really happening.

22. Ugly American says:

If any grown man said a magic pixie lives in his garden and tells him how to vote and to hurt other people he would be locked up.

Religion is mental illness and should be treated as such.

23. Harry says:

I’ve said it before, it’s much easier to offend if you believe redemption is just waiting for you to reach out and take it.

Edit: The easiest way to get a comment disappear for moderation seems to be to swear. There are probably other keywords too.

24. Newspaniard says:

I suspect that the vast amount of reported abuse comes from followers of the Xtian tribe as opposed to followers of the Desert Death Cult (DDC) is for two reasons: 1) Members of the DDC will not report crimes to infidel law enforcement authorities (unless it’s for “hurt feelings” compensation) and 2) Child abuse is so common in the DDC that it is assumed to be part of a ‘normal’ upbringing.

25. doctorE says:

Throw away the key

Hooray – it’s just appeared!

27. Mark Richards says:

Name hidden at request of family?

It should be plastered on the wall of the prison!

What’s the punishment, then? Free meals and a bed?

28. MrGronk says:

Very similar to another case here in NZ, that of Graham Capill, who led a nasty bunch called the Christian Heritage Party in the 90s, while secretly and unrepentantly molesting little girls. Even after his arrest and jailing, he continued to justify his behaviour by references to the bible.
    Fortunately his party never had a show of wielding power, for which I thank my countrymen’s traditional suspicion towards the overtly religious. If we’d had the same levels of feverish religiosity that the US has, this hypocritical vermin could have been an important influence in parliament.