Wracked with paranoia, UK faith-heads launch a ‘Don’t Persecute Us’ campaign

CHRISTIANS who believe their faith is “under attack” in Britain have today launched a campaign to defend it against all “hostile” forces.

Spearheaded by former Archbishop of Canterbury Lord Carey, a comical media circus, known as “Not Ashamed Day”, is being staged outside the House of Lords.

Campaigners say a mounting number of cases of workers being disciplined over their beliefs show Christianity is being “air brushed” from UK society.

But the National Secular Society pooh-poohed this pathetic attempt by paranoid fundies to convince the government that they are victims of a deliberate attempt to marginalise them.

Terry Sanderson, NSS President said the “Not Ashamed Day” was:

The culmination of the ongoing campaign run by a handful of Christian zealots to create the impression that Christianity is somehow being deliberately undermined by the authorities.

He added:

Apparently ‘multiculturalism’, ‘secularism’ and ‘political correctness’ are seen as the culprits, but in reality people are walking away from Christianity because it has become unpleasant and authoritarian. The people behind this campaign are determined and well-financed, but that doesn’t make what they say true.

Hat Tip: BarrieJohn

38 responses to “Wracked with paranoia, UK faith-heads launch a ‘Don’t Persecute Us’ campaign”

1. PrimeNumbers says:

Well, they’ve now asked for us to point out Biblical atrocities and ask them if they’re ashamed of them or not.

And also for us to put up a picture of the persecuted Christian in Pakistan, next to a “persecuted Christian” in the UK and ask the reader to spot the difference….

2. MaryD says:

The UK is an inverted democracy.

We do what the journalists say, (0.001% of the population), then what the homosexuals want, (1% of the population) and finally what the muslims want (3% of the population).

Pity the 70% of the population that claim to be christian.

What absolutely infuriates me is the fact that they have deliberately chosen World Aids Day as their “Not Ashamed” day. Don’t tell me that this was pure coincidence, because I won’t believe you!

Had a lot of gay sex then have you Mary? Or perhaps you’re just bitter because your imaginary friend won’t let you!

Anyone who still adheres to the idiotic belief that religion is a “force for good” in the world needs to watch this. It is truly beyond belief!

6. JohnMWhite says:

Maybe I should stage my own little thing to demonstrate that I am ashamed – I am greatly ashamed that I ever identified myself with this bunch of bigoted, vicious, intolerant, cold-hearted intellectual pygmies. I am ashamed that I was once a proud defender of a faith that told me to see women, homosexuals, Jews, Muslims and anyone outside communion with the church as inherently inferior and sinful in nature. I am ashamed that I once worked for a charity whose main aim was to rob women of their right to their own body. I am ashamed that I absorbed without question horrendous lies spread by Christian leaders about condoms spreading AIDS and gay men being paedophile predators. I am ashamed that once upon a time I was a member of an institution that has been responsible for horrendous crimes against humanity for centuries, including the twice attempted extermination of the Jews and the wiping out and decimating of countless native peoples who dared to not already be Christian when missionaries and pioneers turned up to steal their land. And finally I am ashamed that it took me so long to leave this wicked establishment even after I had learned that these crimes continued in the stealing and detention of native children in abusive residential schools in North America and the cover up of decades of systematic sexual abuse of minors across the planet by predatory priests.

Not ashamed? These people bloody well should be, for they are members of a grotesque edifice that is bleating now not for social justice or the improvement of the lot of the unfortunate, but for itself and its petulant demands to be allowed to continue to treat other people worse than dogs.

EDIT: FFS, barriejohn, that’s another one to add to my list. No stone goes unturned without something horrific about this faith crawling out from under it.

I couldn’t have possibly put it better, JMW. I keep telling people how ashamed I am of the damage that I did to others in the past, and their retort that I have nothing of which to be ashamed since I was sincere in my beliefs falls on deaf ears I’m afraid, as there WERE doubts, but they were pushed into the background where they could do no damage. These people have PLENTY of which to be ashamed!

8. Stuart H. says:

I loved watching the Bishop of Croydon diss this sad campaign even before it officially began on last nights’ Channel 4 ‘4 Thought’. Effectively, he said if Christians want respect they should get it by doing good works, not whingeing about ‘persecution’ in a country where they still have privilege over everyone else. For a bloke with his collar on backwards he was pleasingly fair and sensible.
    Anyways, how can you take any campaign seriously when it’s only run by Christian Concern For our Nation, a bunch of bampots who used to list Oral Roberts University and similar freaks on their website as ‘partners’.

9. Mike says:

Just a reminder, always click though religious adverts served by atheist sites, the sites deserve the coin.

10. tony e says:

MaryD,

I was about to shed a tear for your persecuted religion, then I remembered all the tears shed by hundreds of thousands of innocent people, due to YOUR religion, over the past 2000 years and that stopped me in my tracks.

11. sailor1031 says:

“because it has become unpleasant and authoritarian.”

Ah Terry; when was it not so?

I suggest that JohnMWhite has one of the best posts I’ve ever seen on this forum – very well said sir!

What we are seeing with this latest piece of xtian marketing stupidity, is a group of bigots, recognising that their beliefs no longer have influence or a place in a civilised world, gasping the last breath of a drowning man. Anybody who has a religious belief should indeed hang their heads in shame for enabling crimes against humanity.

13. The Woggler says:

Instead of wasting time on this campaign, wouldn’t they be better of asking their 45 million (roughly or thereabouts) fellow Christians to pray to the great invisible all at the same time asking him to make the other 15 million Christians as well? Surely the great invisible can’t simply ignore 45 million people all praying for the same thing at once.

14. Daz says:

MaryD

Let’s see, we have 26 Lords Spiritual, tax breaks for churches, the BBC’s subservient and wholly religious TFTD, mandatory prayer at school assemblies, state-funded faith schools… And you think you’re being persecuted. Right.

FYI this is what persecution looks like. You, on the other hand are merely being criticised.

@Mary D

Lighten up, Mary, you seem quite bitter. It isn’t the fault of atheists that you cling to a fantasy religion, the bastard child of so many pagan religions and the mystery cults, from 2000 years ago. I thought I might try a couple of quotes on you as they summarise the destructive effects of your religion.

EURIPIDES (Fifth century BC) “Blessed is he who learns how to engage in inquiry, with no impulse to harm his countrymen or to pursue wrongful actions, but perceives the order of immortal and ageless nature, how it is structured.”

AUGUSTINE (Late fourth/early fifth century AD) “There is another form of temptation, even more fraught with danger. This is the disease of curiosity….. It is this which drives us to try and discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which can avail us nothing and which man should not wish to learn.”

This Augustine dogma held back European intellectual development for centuries. The only truth is to come from sad bigots such as Ratzinger and Lord Carey. To late, Mary, the cat is out of the box and it isn’t going back. Face it. You have lost. Why not apply your intellecet to some sceptical, rational and humane thinking? You won’t find that with your religion. Leave now and be happy. There is no god, no devil and you do not need to fear hell and you have no hope of heaven.

You’re right Daz – as usual! Lord Carey is so persecuted in this country that he’e been given a seat in The House of Lords – hahahahaha!!!

17. elainek123 says:

On bbc radio five live they had a phone in about this with Terry Sanderson. Guess what half way through they broke up to hear ‘God’ speakimg, yes it was god it was David Beckham on the World cup football in 2018.
    I believe that Lord Mr.Carey should give a public apology whe n he said Atheists were not worthy citizen.
    As said just get real there are no gods.

18. David B says:

I’d be a little more impressed by Christians claiming to not be ashamed of the gospel of Christ if they would make some attempt to live a little more by its precepts.

They could start by confining their prayers to when they are alone.

Matt 6 5-6

‘5And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly’

Then they should stop having parties for relations and friends, but only invite the poor.

Luke 14 12-13

’12Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee.

13But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind:’

And of course they should stop whinging about persecution, but revel in it.

Matt 5 11-12

’11Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

12Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.’

NonStampCollector says it best

19. Daz says:

Barriejohn: Thank you (especially for the ‘as usual’ *blush*)

Broga: Those quotes — perfect! Ironically, the fall of western civilisation, presaged by Augustine, was only arrested by knowledge saved by the rise of relatively open-minded Islam, which lasted just long enough to pass the torch back to the Christian countries as they threw off the worst of the dogma. Trusting to the religious to keep civilisation afloat would seem to be relying on a series of precarious last-second saves that would make a Hollywood writer blush with shame.

@Daz

Indeed. Historically, we have much to thank Islam for. Much of what they saved was eventually translated into Latin.

Christianity has little we can admire. It stole its ideas and plagiarised from thinkers and gave their ideas to their own saints. An excellent example, cited by Professor A.A. Long in his “Epictetus: A Stoic and Socratic Guide to Life”, is the way the monks living in medieval monasteries were given guidance on how to cope with their harsh existence. The guidance was described as owing its source to St Paul. In fact, it was lifted wholesale from Epictetus.

“The work was modified specifically for monastic use with changes that included replacing the name of Socrates with St Paul.” p261 The “work” refers to Epictetus Manual. The slick and dishonest replacing Socrates with St Paul was to imply that St Paul was an exemplar for Epictetus. In fact, Socrates was Epictetus exemplar. This is so typically sly. Vain, self obsessed and so insecure that they lack the maturity to acknowledge anything worthwhile coming from anyone else.

The impudence of Carey is staggering. He says atheists are not worthy to be citizens while urging boasts about the gospels. There is some seriously unworthy stuff in there.

21. Marcus says:

I agree with Angela_K – what a superb post that is by JMW. Really excellent.

For my money, people who support, uphold and perpetuate religion have plenty they should be hanging their heads in shame about. Not least of which is the fact that they offer false hope in the form of everlasting life. How cynical can you be? Not only is there no proof whatsoever to substantiate such a ridiculous claim, it also ensures that people believe that suffering is somehow worthwhile, that enriching the church is somehow in their own interests, and that those who are bereaved are given utterly false comfort by those who somehow ‘know’ that the deceased has, incredibly, moved on to better things. (Ever been to a funeral where the vicar or priest says the deceased has gone straight to hell? No. Me neither.)

It’s all about power, money and control. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ashamed isn’t a strong enough word for it. Anyone who can defend the indefensible should be mortified. Not to mention extremely apologetic.

Spot on Marcus! I’ve said before how many of the brethren with whom I mixed used to visit the dying like vultures flocking to a carcass, and inevitably gave glowing reports afterwards as to how “Dear Mrs Abandonhope passed away trusting in The Lord”. This was usually based on this sort of exchange (an Irish accent helps, actually!):

Do you know that Jesus died for you Mrs Abandonhope?
    Do you realize that His precious blood cleanses from all sin?
    Did you know that if you trust in Him he’ll take you to Heaven when you die?

Fill in the rest for yourself!

Many Christians themselves were sickened by this sort of thing, and I NEVER used the argument myself that even if religious faith was a load of baloney it was doing a lot of good in the world and certainly wasn’t doing any harm (Pascal’s Wager – my interpretation!). I wouldn’t want my life built upon a lie.

This bit of Carey’s little leaflet fair took my breath away:

He (Jesus) is the only one who can bring lasting freedom to individuals from anxiety, despair, guilt, shame, alienation, loneliness and the grip of death itself. But he is also the only one who can provide a solid foundation for a society characterised by care and compassion, justice and morality, hospitality and kindness, genuine respect and appropriate toleration, peace and prosperity, co-operation and public service.

Is arrogance not a sin?

24. Daz says:

Just found this on NewsThump. Which kind of got me thinking about the internet, free content and freeware. Name virtually any expensive software application, from games to entire operating systems, (except maybe photoshop), and you can find a program somewhere that’ll do exactly the same job, and has taken just as much hard work and skull-sweat to produce, being offered totally free, legally by the maker. While I can’t vouch for the religious beliefs of the people who produce these things, I’ve never yet seen one, with the exception of certain content-filters, where any religious message, even a cursory ‘in God’s name’ was used in the description or the ‘thank you for downloading’ message. Certainly if they are religious, most would seem not to be rabidly so. I’d say that says a fair amount about the ‘wicked, greedy godless secular society’ the religiots are always talking about.

Sorry for the ramble, but I thought twas worth sharing the thought.

25. Anonymous says:

News Thump
    Why do people treat us with the same contempt we show homosexuals, ask Christians

26. Anonymous says:

Lol, you beat me to it, Daz.

27. JohnMWhite says:

Thanks to those who gave props to my post. I did not sleep well and waking up to be faced with this caused it to sort of pour out of me. As it happens, my not sleeping well has a lot to do with the Christian compassion I was treated to during my schooling.

@ Daz – as a bit of a computer geek, I do love open source software. I remember the days when web browsers were separate packages you had to buy in shops (I was probably about 9 so I suppose the geekdom has been life long). Now you have a plethora of browsers out there for free with a slew of add-ons to improve functionality and make things easier for people, and all for free. Entire operating systems are free and friendly now, and I don’t think Tux the penguin has ever spouted a particularly religious message. In my experience, those who work on open source projects tend to be areligious – not specifically atheist, and perhaps even notionally or culturally Christian, Jewish or Muslim, but any faith they might have does not seem to be a major part of their lives or inspire their work.

I do not wish to tar all Christians with the same brush, there are some very nice ones, though usually this niceness manifests itself in spite of their instruction manual. However, a great example of Christian hypocrisy occurred recently, relayed to me by a friend. He’s an atheist, but his father is a church goer who is quite annoyed at his son’s lack of faith. We’ve had a lot of snow here and my friend was leaving the house to try to help a neighbour dig her car out. He asked his father, sitting on the couch, if he wanted to help, to be given the curt reply “no, and you shouldn’t either”.

“Why not?”

“It’s their fault if they’re stuck, let them sort it out themselves. Don’t you be going out there.”

My friend, the atheist, went out there.

Fantastic satire from NewsThump. The headline does sum it up perfectly.

28. Stonyground says:

My thought about this is that those Christians who say that they are not ashamed of their religion must know nothing about its history. If they were to educate themselves they would become very ashamed indeed.

Carey is doing a great job at showing himself up as a laughable contemtible buffoon. Barriejohn’s quote from his leaflet suggests that he is either a hopeless liar or hopelessly deluded.

29. Graham says:

@Barriejohn

I have just watched some of the bBc program you linked. Religion is a mental illness that you can be sure of. Anyone who stll believes a word of this shit should be given large doses of medication in order to protect the rest of us and themselves from harm. I do believe the harm caused by religion is also the fault of atheists. We all know there has never been a better time to finish off religion yet it still exists. I always feel pity for the old ladies in the village in which I live. These people make pots of jam for the church roof appeal totally oblivious to suffering the church have caused to others. Ignorance is no excuse it is time we told these people how depraved the church really is.

30. tony e says:

Does this campaign involve them going around houses with yet more leaflets, though still unable (or unwilling) to answer the simplest questions about their faith? Becoming a bit like groundhog day around here.

31. Graham Martin-Royle says:

The beeb had this on their website today and they wanted christians to write in and tell their story about how they have been discriminated against.

I doubt they’ll publish my response but I still felt they should have it.

“Christians are not being persecuted in this country, they are merely being politely told that they can no longer discriminate against other people using their religion to hide their bigotry.

It is also about time that the media stopped trotting out the same old stories about christians that have been discriminated against as in every case, when the facts have been closely looked at, their complaints have been dismissed.”

There was an archbishop called Carey –
    Of deviants ever so wary;
    Till he put on his frock,
    And got quite a shock
    When someone said “Look at that fairy!”

Graham: Do you think that those old ladies appreciate the full extent of the assets which the CofE is sitting upon?

With that quote Carey has gone totally overboard; lost the plot, become hysterical. The reason: 1. Here is a chance to be in the public eye and these dopes do love the limelight. 2. Fear that they have lost; they cannot win; game over. And the creeping terror that he has wasted his life is more than he can bear.

Every time Carey opens his mouth he makes a bigger fool of himself. Wonder what Rowan Williams thinks. Isn’t he supposed to be the lead clown in this pantomime? Or is he too busy trying the appease the African bishop bigots and hold the grandiosely name Anglican Communion together. Not a hell of a lot of communing going on at the moment.

35. Russell W says:

Obviously inspired by the successful “Islamophobia” campaign,it’s only a matter of time before Christians describe themselves as a ‘race’.

@Russell W

They won’t let the facts get in the way. We are swamped by christian propaganda and as christmas approaches it will increase. Their problem is that it isn’t working. Cribs everywhere despite that supposed census that got the supposed Mary and Joseph to Bethlehem never occured.

37. AngieRS says:

Not ashamed but should be, deeply.

38. hissing sid says:

Is it just me, but I can’t help but think that this is the christian version of nationalism. *we need an atheists defence leauge lmfto*