STEPHEN “Birdshit” Green, 60, tireless campaigner for a more moral, less gay UK, has been exposed as a cruel, delusional wife and childbeater by his former spouse, Caroline Green.

Green, a cruel, delusional hypocrite

According to this report, the Christian extremist – creator in 1994 of Christian Voice, as well as a newly launched blog, Christian VoiceUK – often punished his ex-wife for failing to be a dutiful and compliant wife.

Caroline revealed that Green wrote a list of her ­failings then described the weapon he would make to beat her with.

He told me he’d make a piece of wood into a sort of witch’s broom and hit me with it, which he did.He hit me until I bled. I was terrified. I can still remember the pain.

She added:

Stephen listed my misdemeanours: I was disrespectful and disobedient; I wasn’t loving or submissive enough and I was undermining him. He also said I wasn’t giving him his ­conjugal rights.

He even framed our marriage vows — he always put particular emphasis on my promise to obey him — and hung them over our bed. He believed there was no such thing as marital rape and for years I’d been reluctant to have sex with him, but he said it was my duty and was angry if I refused him. But the beating was the last straw. It ­convinced me I had to divorce him.

And during the time he was terrorising his wife and their four children, he was also revelling in his self-appointed public role as guardian of the nation’s morality.

He routinely inveighs against the abolition of the death penalty, no-fault divorce, Islam, abortion and, his particular bête noir, homosexuality. Violent crime and rape, he laments on his website, have risen dramatically in the past 50 years, while he points out that “virtue is derided”.

When Caroline, 59, contemplates the disparity between his public pronouncements and his private persona, she is sickened.

Whenever I watch him on TV spouting verses from the Bible, or see him quoted in a news­paper, it turns my stomach. I’ve decided to tell the truth about him now because the people who support him financially and morally should know what he is really like.

Ironically, this button appears on Green's Christian Voice site, but if you click on it, it does not link to the Mail expose

The fact that Caroline remained married for 26 years is surprising. But, she explains, she was intimidated and terrified to leave him. She was also aware — because she had no money of her own — that she depended on the £800 a month that he gave her to bring up their children.

It was almost like living in a cult,. We were all subjugated to his will and cowed by him. Over the years he belittled us and made us feel worthless.

In 1992 he wrote a virulently anti-gay book, The ­Sexual Dead End, which Caroline says marked ‘the beginning of the end’. Two years later, he abandoned the Conservative Family Campaign, which he regarded as too moderate, and set up Christian Voice in order to pursue a more radical course.

And the more his religious crusade consumed him, the more extreme Green’s behaviour became. Said Caroline:

He had very high expectations of the children; nothing they did was ever good enough.He bullied them mentally and manipulated them.  And they always had to be ­chaperoned. He wouldn’t countenance them having boyfriends or girlfriends.

There were occasions when his explosions of wrath became physical. He assaulted not only Caroline, but their sons.

He beat our middle son with a belt, in front of his best friend, for answering him back. I tried to intervene but he pushed me away. My eldest son was hit with a broomstick and kicked on the back of his legs. He still has scars on his shins. On one occasion Stephen beat him so hard with a piece of wood that we thought he might have broken his arm. When we took him to hospital, my son pretended he’d fallen because he didn’t want to incur his father’s anger.

It took the smallest of misdemeanours to trigger Green’s wrath. Caroline says:

They were trivial things. He’d say the children had been disobedient or insubordinate. He would retaliate really spitefully. When our youngest son left a small heater on in the bedroom of the mobile home, Stephen ­confiscated it as a punishment for wasting electricity. The boys slept in freezing conditions for two years. A window was broken and he replaced it with plywood, which in turn got damp and froze. These were the sort of privations we all had to endure.

Caroline described his state of mind  “hyper-manic”. She said:

For years he’d been ­controlling, spiteful and self-righteous. But later he became delusional and completely uncontrollable. I’d obeyed him as a dutiful wife, but my love for him had corroded away. People must wonder why I stayed as long as I did. I was ­embarrassed and humiliated by his behaviour. But actually we were all brainwashed. My self-esteem ebbed away to such an extent that I felt worthless and stupid.

She finally cut free from him in 2006. A loan from her brother — in whom she confided about Green’s behaviour — allowed her to buy a caravan in which she established herself and her children while she awaited her divorce.

When invited to respond to his ex-wife’s allegations, Stephen Green made no comment.

Hat tip: Terry, Barriejohn, Keith, David G and a host of others

74 Responses to “UK’s craziest evangelist, Stephen Green, exposed as a dictatorial, violent monster”

1. Daz says:

So the control-freak who wants us all to live by his definition of morality, and his alone, turns out to be a control-freak at home too. Go figure…

2. Don says:

But he seemed to be such a nice man. That engaging toothy smile (it was a smile, wasn’t it?), that beard.

Seriously, I agree that it was absurd for the media (and QT, what were you thinking?) to have ever given this low-brow loser any attention at all.

3. Thoreau says:

I am also a mental health professional and I understand why culpepper differentiates the two – mental illness and religion. That said religion is very frequently found to play a central part in many delusional constructs and I have time for the argument that religion is a mass delusion. I think it’s oversimplifying things but… the defintion of a delusion used in mental health services is ‘a fixed false belief’. That comes rather close to many people’s stance on religion in my view.

It’s a continuum but who is to say what a false belief is? Generally when it clearly gets in the way of healthy everyday living it might be looked at further – and I think that is a charge that can be made against a sizeable minority of religious people, although not really at all for most religious people.

Of course if you think it’s normal everyday life to be standing on a street corner in all weather forcing nonsensical leaflets on people who are trying to refuse them whilst claiming to know they have sinned, despite never having clapped eyes on them… What about delivering ‘The Watchtower’ through stranger’s letterboxes? Providing people with unsolicited material advocating corporal punishment of their children – who is to say that this is normal or maladapative?

Do you have to be wearing a tin foil hat and talking to demons and angels before your religion falls under the mental illness rubric? Isn’t praying to an imagined magical parent a retreat from the inherent difficulties involved in life? A way of managing existential angst? We all need ways of managing and getting through but none of us have the right to impose our worldview on our kids or on total strangers – religious prosletyisers assume this right (God given, natch) and you could argue this shows a pathological failure to empathise or inability to mentalize – recognising the other has their own mind and is another person and not just a resource to be mined.

4. Caroline is me. My love was eroded in 2004. When I moved on, all closest relationships were destroyed in retaliation.
    I wrote about my experiences in a book, A butterfly landed an eagle, available from amazon. After 27 years of hell with a doctor with severe bipolar disorder, I was blamed for his illness, marriage break-up, divorce and called an adulterous when I remarried.
    My father disowned and disinherited me, my children have nothing to do with a fruit-loop, hair-brain, nonsense, egg-donor (not a mother). I paid a high price for staying too long.
    This is why I decided to speak out by writing my book, in the hope of helping others with my hindsight as foresight, to make less mistakes than I did and more informed decisions, to protect from and prevent emotional damage.
    Caroline get counselling for yourself and your children, if you can, while you can. I pray for my children to heal and find the truth, from afar. I have not seen my grandsons born in 2009 and last year. God bless you as you find your way without your abuser.

5. Bubblecar says:

I’m not at all surprised. It must be impossible to devote one’s entire public life to Bible-thumping homophobia, without being very sick in the head. As for the question of whether such sickness and religious belief are connected, it’s amazing that such things are still regarded as “debatable” in the 21st Century.

Religious truth claims consist of entirely of delusions, which seek to reward the delusional with important privileges – God’s favour, a place in heaven etc – in return for choosing their particular distortion of reality. Which particular creed Mr Batshit favours is pretty much an accident of his birth, but his mental state and his religious “calling” are undoubtedly two sides of the same coin.

6. chrsbol says:

@ Elizabeth Laine.
    this from amazon product description.

Liz Laine is the person she is today because of the 27 years of hell she endured as the wife of a doctor with bipolar disorder. Her Christian faith, Bible study, self-development courses, wide reading, and prayer brought her through as a whole person. At age 47, Liz found another whole person in her second husband, who is also a Christian. She writes in the hope that her hindsight will help to give others foresight in making difficult choices, like how to deal with mental illness,

The irony meter will shatter on this one.

7. Marcus says:

@ chrsbol Kerrrr-boom! There it goes!

I don’t agree with you, Bubblecar. How about the great many people like myself who were at one stage of our lives extremely religious and are now not religious at all? The point is that the religious USUALLY decide that they will accept a core of belief, whatever their misgivings and however little they actually know about it in advance, and then go along with what it says, suspending disbelief. Most of them don’t actually claim to hear real voices inside their head, or even experience anything “miraculous” at all: it’s all much more “spiritual” than that!

9. remigius says:

I liked him better when he was gay!

10. Bubblecar says:

Barriejohn, I didn’t mean that all or even most of those who subscribe to religions are/were delusional. Just that delusional people are often particularly attracted to religious belief, for obvious reasons.

We have had our share of trolls and spammers but I suspect this is the first time we have had a religiot promoting a crappy book – other than the buyBull that is.

12. NeoWolfe says:

The threadheadline: “UK’s craziest evangelist, Stephen Green, exposed as a dictatorial, violent monster”

That’s a little sensational isn’t it, BDuke? Adolf Hitler and his cronies were monsters. On a smaller scale, Vlad the Impaler, the Khmer Rouge and Pol Pot, they were monsters. Smaller yet, Jim Jones, Marshall Applewhite, Charles Manson, they were monsters, too. Birdshit may be an idiot who cannot squeeze out an irrational thought without his scriptures and a round of prayerful guidance from his imaginary friend, but he’s not a monster. He’s just an idiot playing pied piper to bigger idiots. I won’t be casting the first stone.

NeoWolfe

These are, indeed, only allegations, but I think that if you lived with a violent, or maybe even overbearing, person he would assume the proportions of “a monster”.

14. Bubblecar says:

NeoWolfe: Birdshit may be an idiot

The allegations are that he beat his wife with a broomstick until she bled, and left his kids to freeze in unheated bedrooms with broken windows, amongst lots of other gross nastiness. I don’t think the word “idiot” really covers much of this spectrum of behaviour.

15. The Woggler says:

He may not be a monster – a nasty piece of work, but not a monster – but at least he now provides people with the perfect response next time he organises a public demo. “Oh shut up, wife-beater.”

16. Don says:

Neo-Wolf,

We already knew he was an idiot. It’s fair to say that monster is an extreme term, but not just because of the numbers involved.

Making the people closest to you live their lives in fear for years by means of violence and intimidation with the aim of breaking their spirits and forcing them to be subservient (allegedly) could reasonably be described as monstrous behaviour, couldn’t it?

I’m quite happy to cast the first (rhetorical) stone as I am, in fact, without sin.

17. NeoWolfe says:

As a child I was beaten with various “tools” and my parents thought they were saving my soul. I am sure that it was tramatic, and those old memories color my vision of the world. But, to some degree, we are all bad parents, and bad spouses. Often, it happens as a result of adopting a set of beliefs concocted by fakers and witchdoctors. Big mistake, but, so common that one is tempted to overlook many of these acts as innate human stupidity, and just move on.

At least he didn’t take his wife and children before the city elders, testify against them, and then have them stoned to death outside the city walls. But, in all fairness, given a shift in time, one can only wonder what he would have done three thousand years ago.

If you want to read about a “monster”, the real thing (according to believers). Read the book of Joshua.

NeoWolfe

18. Stonyground says:

I don’t think that you can define who is or is not a monster by counting up the number of people that are affected by their crimes. What they are is defined by their nature, how many people they affect is more likely to be a matter of chance.

In the case of Green, I think that he must be a very unhappy man. As Don Said, “Making the people closest to you live their lives in fear for years by means of violence and intimidation…” is not a recipe for your own happiness.

19. Anonymous says:

“But, to some degree, we are all bad parents, and bad spouses.”

No. There is no giving a pass to spousal/child abusers. The “it’s not a big deal” attitude helps perpetuate abuse.

Martin Robbins over at the Guardian has taken on The Daily Mail’s relationship with Stephen Green as well.

The Daily Mail is hypocritical over Christian Voice leader Stephen Green

20. NeoWolfe says:

Anonymous said:

“No. There is no giving a pass to spousal/child abusers.”

Naively simplistic. First you must define abuse/abusers. When I was in grade school, even the teachers and the principle beat my ass with leather tools. When your child does something unbelievably immature, do you yell, or send him or her a tweet? When you ground them, and they sneek out, how do you take it to the next level without becoming abusive? Until you have an extreme problem child, or a unstable bitch for a wife, it’s too early to be passing judgement on the rest of humanity.

NeoWolfe

“an unstable bitch for a wife”

Chauvinism:
    Prejudiced belief in the superiority of one’s own gender, group, or kind.

I rest my case.

22. NeoWolfe says:

I quote Bjohn:

“I rest my case.”

A little early for that, because you haven’t made your case yet.

I may be mistaken, but the discussion above was about whether the word of a divorced wife should be entered as sworn testimony about a man’s treatment of his family. And, even if true, to the last letter, given the human condition, if any of us really have the right to cast the first stone.

It may be your position that no female is a neurotic nagging bitch that hid her personality until she snagged a victim. Or whether or not there are children, no matter how much you love them, they cannot be reached until they become responsible for their own lives, and begin paying adult prices for their mistakes. You can reason, and try to help them not make the mistakes you made, but in the end, they are the artists painting their own lives.

It’s not chauvinism. It’s called freethought.

NeoWolfe

23. Anonymous says:

NeoWolfe,

Get help.

24. Red Kite says:

He is a thoroughly decent person and lives modestly.

The newspapers obviously are declining with these character attacks. His character is good.