Are you up for Questival?

QUESTIVAL is a weekend of camping and freethinking, run by the AHS – the National Federation of Atheist, Humanist and Secular Student Societies which is the umbrella organisation for non-religious student societies in institutes of higher education across the UK and the Republic of Ireland.

Philosopher Julian Baggini will be present at this year's Questival

The annual event provides a physically and mentally challenging weekend, designed for adults with a rational worldview. The organisers’ aim is to entertain, educate and exhaust participants  in equal measure.

Questival  – inspired by Camp Quest UK – takes place this year between August 5-7 August, at Croft Farm Water Park, near Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire. Croft Farm is located in the scenic River Avon Valley and features its very own lake. Croft Farm has modern toilet and shower facilities and a lakeside bar.

Questival has stand-up mathematician Matt Parker performing on the Saturday night, as well as a special recording of The Pod Delusion.

Two in-depth workshops will also take place: first up is an in-depth workshop on media spin and fallacies with renowned philosopher Julian Baggini. Then the team from The Pod Delusion will give a primer on the current state of skeptical reporting – including the chance to write and perform your own report in the evening’s show!

There’s also the spectacular and dastardly Questival Treasure Hunt – decode the clues and solve the puzzles in a giant quest set in and around Tewkesbury city centre.

If you do have any questions you can e-mail the organisers at info@questival.org.uk, Facebook them here or tweet at @questival.

17 Responses to “Are you up for Questival?”

This is very attractive although I won’t be able to attend. Anyone attending this will come away having learned something, had their ideas stimulated and meet people who shares their views. So different from christian gatherings of “sharing our witness” and listening to the same dreary mantras over and over. I hope it is a huge success.

2. remigius says:

…set in and around Tewkesbury city centre.

I trust by city you mean quaint little market town.

3. tony e says:

Dear AHS,

Could I please have any complementary tickets for this upcoming, and no doubt thought provoking, event?

I would love to attend and have my views challenged in frank and open debate.

With love,

Stephen Green
    Christian

Funny that you should mention that respected visionary and “prophet”, Stephen Green, Tony. Have you read this?

After inviting this collection of perverts and social totalitarians to 10 Downing Street, there can be no question that David Cameron has set his feet to run after evil and his heart to devise wicked plans.

I actually burst out laughing!

5. tony e says:

Barriejohn,

Cheers for the link. I used to find him amusing, but now he’s so far off the sanity scale it’s frightening.

To use part of his own phrase against Green, the section ‘Proverbs 6:16-18 declares that the Lord hates a heart that devises wicked plans’

I do hope that extends to wife beating…….

6. The Woggler says:

Yes, Green’s utter stupidity can be quite amusing. The problem is, there are people who take him and people like him quite seriously.

These people eventually become a parody of themselves. I don’t think that Green will be asked for any more quotes by the media in the near future!

8. remigius says:

Looks like our friend Bob Hutton is having his tuppence worth about Questival on his sorry excuse for a blog. I can’t be arsed to read what he wrote though. Or post a link.

Or give a fu

And there’s another one, Remigius – I almost mentioned him as well! I can’t be arsed to post comments either, as all sensible input is deleted anyway. I noticed immediately that there are no comments on Green’s site whatsoever!!

10. Stuart H. says:

“I noticed immediately that there are no comments on Green’s site whatsoever!!”
    I suppose it’s a bit like the Koran. Once The Prophet (gull shit be upon him) has spoken there is nothing more to be said.

OT: I’ve just read about this on Ceefax:

@barriejohn: The pasta strainer headgear seems no more strange than a lot of religious headgear and clothing. The Pope and Archbishops wear these pointy hats. Veils, turbans, skull caps, birettas for example. Ridiculing religion by aping it has a lot going for it. The Flying Spaghetti Monster clergy would make a great addition to Thought for the Day.

Were you thinking along these lines, Broga?

It would be a big improvement!

@barriejohn. Indeed. A big improvement and I like the “I would rather you didn’t go around telling people I talk to you.”

15. Stuart H. says:

By the way – Questival – yup, great idea, but wish they’d chosen a name less suggestive of Harry Potter!

I hope this is relevant to Questival. A few days ago a friend recommended “Why we believe in God(s): A Concise Guide to the Science of Faith” by J.Anderson Thomas, Clare Aukofer, Richard Dawkins. I got the Kindle Copy £4.96 and started reading. The book places religion in the context of evolution and I think the book is excellent and provides “a succinct yet comprehensive study of how and why the human mind generates religious belief.”

The book is enormously persuasive, so much so from my atheist perspective, that I cannot see how even a christian, muslim or whatever, with some intelligence, could continue to believe. This morning I met my friend a retired teacher and we started discussing this point. He thinks too little attention has been paid to the suggestion that intelligent believers don’t actually believe. He reckons many of them are as atheist as we are but the penalties of abandoning career and community are just too severe. They opt for hypocrisy.

17. […] and freethought, which is why I always endeavour to publicise their efforts. The upcoming Questival, which I mentioned yesterday, is a prime […]