Meet Sally Kern, our Idiot of the Week

APART from the incredibly stupid things they say, the two things that best characterise Christian zealots,  as far as I’m concerned, is their inability to type their crap without having the CAP LOCK ON, and their talent for writing books with m o n u m e n t a l l y wordy titles.

Case in point: The Stoning of Sally Kern: The liberal attack on Christian conservatism – and why we must take a stand. Phew!

Sally 'Boo-hoo I'm a persecuted Christian' Kern

I chose this book because Kern, 65, an Oklahoma state legislator, has been all over the blogosphere this past week as a result of her mentioning all the “death threats” she received following a controversial speech she gave to a Republican group about the “gay lifestyle”, and how The Gays pose a greater threat to America than terrorism.

This is how dangerous we gays are:

You know if you just look at it in practical terms, which has destroyed and ended the life of more people? Terrorism attack here in America or HIV/AIDS? In the last twenty years, fifteen to twenty years, we’ve had maybe three terrorist attacks on our soil with a little over 5,000 people regrettably losing their lives. In the same time frame, there have been hundreds of thousands who have died because of having AIDS. So which one’s the biggest threat?

Kern, the wife of a Baptist minister – in conversation with “WallBuilders Live” radio hosts David Barton and Rick Green – said that she feared for her life during the days that followed her 2008 speech which caused such anger. She was on the show to plug The Stoning …blah, blah, blah, which isn’t doing all that well. Amazon is selling it half-price, and the reviews promise an even bigger price plunge. Here’s “Father Bob’s” take on Kern’s paranoiac incursion into the world of fiction:

Wow, as a Protestant Minister, I have read a number of twisted false biblical interpretations. But, this venom-filled, self-serving diatribe really takes the cake. I have never seen so much misinformation in one place served up with so much hate. No wonder this is a vanity press book, I cannot imagine any legitimate publisher giving this a second look. Stay away from this tripe if you believe at all in the all- powerful love of God!

At any rate, the imbecile Barton sympathised with Kern, saying:

If you touch homosexuality, be prepared to pay a price, not just attacks, it’s gonna cost you economically, other things as well, may cost your life.

Kern is even stupider than she looks. She should have kept her silly trap shut about those “death threats” because, apparently, none were ever sent.

Sure, some angry gays wished her dead, but that’s not tantamount to an actual threat. Her original “death threat” wail sparked an investigation by THREE members of the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation who were deployed to trawl through 7,000 of her emails, but apparently they found nothing to merit a prosecution.

How much, I wonder, did that little exercise cost the taxpayer?

In her speech to a group of Republicans about gays and their lifestyle, Kern said:

I’m not gay-bashing. But according to God’s word that is not the right kind of lifestyle … Studies show no society that has totally embraced homosexuality has lasted more than a few decades. It is not a lifestyle that is good for this nation.

After her rant, State Governor Brad Henry said he was disappointed in Kern’s comments, which were recorded and posted on the video sharing website YouTube by the Washington, DC-based Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund. Henry said he believed public officials should “cool the rhetoric”.

“I don’t think it represents Oklahoma,” Henry said. He said his religious beliefs teach him to be tolerant of diverse lifestyles and viewpoints. “Think before you speak,” the Governor added.

Oklahomans have love and tolerance for all people.

Chuck Wolfe, President and CEO of the Victory Fund, wrote a letter to Kern, saying her words could have real-life consequences.

What you said is not OK, but that’s not because most sensible people disagree with it. It’s because your words give aid and comfort to those who would hurt, maim and even kill people who are different from you. The point of the Victory Fund’s releasing your speech was to draw attention to the fact that even elected leaders like you are saying some nasty and potentially dangerous things about your fellow citizens. Our mission is to elect people to counter your hate and bigotry with honesty and courage.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn

27 Responses to “Meet Sally Kern, our Idiot of the Week”

1. Graham Martin-Royle says:

She is an elected state legislator! Who is stupid enough to elect someone like this?

“Kern is even stupider than she looks.”

Bloody hell, that must be really, really stupid.

3. Daz says:

According to the CDC, people infected with HIV through heterosexual contact account for 31 percent of new cases each year and 28 percent of people living with HIV.

[Source]

And depending where you look, 10 to 20% of injecting drug addicts have HIV.

There must be some pretty dim people in Oklahoma to vote for this hate filled harridan; just look at those god diseased dead eyes.

Billy Graham got into deep water over this very subject almost twenty years ago now. Do these people never learn?

United Press International (10/09/93)
    Cleveland–The Rev. Billy Graham has expressed deep regret for saying that AIDS may be God’s judgment for people’s sins. “Is AIDS a judgment of God?” asked Graham before a record-breaking crowd in Columbus, Ohio. “I could not say for sure, but I think so.” After seeing letters criticizing that comment, Graham contacted the Cleveland Plain Dealer to retract his statement. “I remember saying it, and I immediately regretted it and almost went back and clarified the statement,” said Graham in a telephone interview. He said he never intended to make the remark, explaining that he was tired during the sermon and forgot to retract or clarify his statement. “I do believe God stands in judgment of all sins…but AIDS is a disease that affects people and is not part of that judgment,” Graham told the newspaper. “To say God has judged people with AIDS would be very wrong and very cruel.”

Here’s another lie:

Show me one.

7. remigius says:

barriejohn. The Tellytubbies!

8. Daz says:

Barriejohn:

I’m having a hard time trying to think of a modern or semi-modern society that could have been honestly featured in such a study (if the studies actually exist at all that is). Closest I can think of is some of the ancient Greek city-states, but for the life of me I can’t see how they could get enough detail about them to base anything like a rigorous study on.

I meant a study, Remigius. They seem unable to grasp the fact that stating something over and over again, even though you really believe it, doesn’t make it true.

10. Steve says:

Look, can someone tell me what a ‘gay lifestyle’ is? Would not these clowns agree that the collocation ‘straight lifestyle’ would be such a catch-all term as to mean nothing? Also, as a man-loving man myself, I’d really like to be directed to the ‘gay community’. Thanks in advance.

11. Winto says:

I cant stand when these idiots claim the bible says living a gay ‘lifestyle’ is wrong, yet this is the same bible that includes in the ‘right’ lifestyle rape, murder, incest and slavery.

im guessing this witch doesnt believe its right to have slavery anymore (well, i hope not) but why is being gay such an issue? i mean with slavery the christians would actually get something out of it – but gays? what do the xtians get out of making homosexuality illegal? you cant enslave the gays.

12. john c says:

Hope she will be charged with malicious reporting /wasting police time,and a whole raft of other possible crimes.
    Keep hearing about the gay community, have come to the conclusion that i must be living in part of it, i have several gay freinds,though straight myself, but they seem to shop in the same shops, work alongside us and be in the same pubs and clubs, nothing i have seen would point to the existance of any separate community?

13. Rainne says:

I’m with Steve. I need a quick seminar or something on the ‘gay lifestyle,’ because I’m pretty sure this rural Tennessee hell isn’t it. I would also like directions to the gay community, because I am currently surrounded by gap-toothed, inbred morons who probably think this woman is a prophet of gawd.

14. JohnMWhite says:

There have been far more than three terrorist attacks on US soil in the past 20 years. I’m not sure where she’s even getting that number from. My assumption is it doesn’t count if it’s done by white people or Christians (which would discount a slew of abortion clinic bombings, a couple of abortion doctor shootings, and the Oklahoma City bombing…) but then we’re left with what? 9/11, where c. 3000 people died, and Fort Hood, where another 13 people died and there was never a clear link to terrorism demonstrated. Other attempted plots by Islamic extremists failed. The Tuscon shooting, while linked to politics, similarly has not yet been shown to be related to terrorism, and it was a white guy shooting at Democrats so in this lady’s world probably doesn’t count. Meanwhile, threats from Christian extremists have also been thwarted, such as the Michigan Militia and an attempted bombing of a MLK parade. I honestly think she’s just making stuff up, and it’s shocking and disturbing that such off-the-cuff, uninformed remarks are coming from someone holding elected office. For her and her supporters to then get defensive when people suggest she’s unfit for such an office is incredibly rich.

Of course, it’s all about the bigotry and the hatred. Crying foul about the existence of gay people seems to justify, in their heads, any lack of rigor on their part to even be remotely connected to the facts, because all that’s important is that they are seen to take a stand… for The Family, or something.

15. Daz says:

Steve, Rainne:

Not sure 'bout the gay lifestyle, but I did track down the equally famous and elusive Gay Agenda.™

Hope that helps!

16. AngieRs says:

Are we sure that’s her real picture and not Widdecombe? It’s the same hate after all.

JohnMWhite: Christians have been “making stuff up” for generations now. They come out with these outrageous and blatantly untrue “facts” which supposedly support their position, and these are then repeated over and over again as if no sane person could possibly question them. Here’s one that I instantly recognized as bogus when I first heard it as a boy in the 1950s, yet you will come across it repeatedly even today – quoted as some kind of “clincher” in a debate!

There is more evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ than there is for that of Julius Caesar.

18. Newspaniard says:

@barriejohn: The Freethinker (our very own mag) has pretty much stomped on the idea that Jesus actually existed. Yahoo might be big but it’s not an authority I would like to quote in court.

19. Stonyground says:

I love the way that this blog always manages to find a picture that depicts our adversaries looking dopey or mental. Be honest BD, how much cherry picking does this require? I suspect that it is not that much.

Newspaniard: I’m afraid you have completely missed my point! The thing is that whatever the facts and evidence may say, Christians all over the world come out with these outrageous statements as if they are gospel and everyone must surely believe them. I found that example in about two seconds flat, but there must be thousands more on the net. Do you think that they are going to visit a rationalist site and say: “Oh, yes, we’ve been wrong about that all along”?

21. Stuart W says:

Stonyground – surely that is only playing these toxic scaremongers at their own game considering how much their own ravings rely on the warped portrayal of all gay people as mentally damaged and dangerous.

22. Barry Duke says:

The hard bit, Stonyground, is finding pictures that DON”T make them look retarded!

23. Stonyground says:

@Stuart W
    Atheist’s are also depicted as evil by these people. It wasn’t really a criticism, generally these people deserve to be ridiculed.

@Barry Duke
    Pretty much as I suspected then.

24. elainek123 says:

I bet with a face like that she could not get a man or a woman. Evil written all over her face. How many closetted mps are there I would love to know..

Beyond Our Kern!

26. gsw says:

@DAZ: “Yet know-nothing bible-bashing morons continue to spread this crap about HIV/AIDS being ‘the gay disease’.”

Oh, please, if they actually thought that it would only kill off gays, they would be keeping their mouths shut and praying in private for a no-cure solution.

No, this is guilt speaking from most god-worshippers, since they know that much of their own preaching is responsible for a lot of the misery: Keeping children ignorant of the real causes of VDs (STDs?), condemnation of condom use, resistance to stem-cell research, etc. However, to admit that they are so very, very wrong would destroy their card houses, so they scream in the other direction instead.

@Kern:
    The main problem is not religion, but the so-called ‘respect’ given to religious people. We do not want your tolerance – we want you to respect the principles of MYOB, as we respect the age old tradition of laughing at fools.

27. Stuart W says:

The fact that she manages to work ‘stoning’ into the title truly takes the communion wafer, to. That people really are stoned to death in other parts of the world in this day and age has to be one of the most appalling modern crimes against humanity. Kern actually using this as a metaphor to describe (or exaggerate) the anger she provokes over her demonisation of homosexuals possibly sets a new benchmark for fundie persecution complex.