Nigerian ‘Bishop’ slaps teenage girl in church after accusing her of witchcraft

AN online petition has been launched, calling on the Nigerian authorities to investigate a very public assault on a teenage girl by a self-styled “bishop”.

The ‘bishop’ was caught on camera delivering the slap (click on pic to view the entire incident)

During a “deliverance” service at Otta, in Ogun state, “Bishop” David Oyedepo, general overseer of Winners’ Chapel, slapped the girl with considerable force.

According to this report, Oyedepo suggested to his kneeling victim that she was involved in witchcraft. She denied this, saying instead she was “a witch for Jesus”. The cleric shouted that Jesus has no witches, but when she insisted, the furious Oyedepo called her “a foul devil”, slapped her violently across the face, and shouted:

You can go and burn in hell.

In calling on the Ogun state government, the Ogun State Ministry of Justice and the Attorney General to commence a formal investigation into the conduct of Oyedepo, the  “Stop The Violence Against Women in Nigeria” petition says:

It appears as though the Bishop may have violated the Criminal Code Act (chapter 29 of Part V; sections 351 to 365) of the Nigerian constitution.

‘Bishop’ Oyedepo

Banji Oyebisi, one of the petitioners who is based in the United States,  said:

Our objective is try and get at least 101, 000 signatures that we will submit to Governor Amosun. We want to say we are tired of this kind of conduct, violence against women.

Commenting on the Transparency for Nigeria blog, Adebowale Oriku said:

In spite of Oyedepo’s best efforts to label the poor girl a witch, the young thing insisted that she was not the kind of witch Oyedepo was insinuating and that she was a ‘witch for Jesus.’

Of course it may be argued that Jesus does not have a group of followers that are called witches, but this was a girl that had been browbeaten and spat upon by a man who calls himself a bishop, a man who was mentally torturing a wretched religious captive into abasing herself enough to accept being described as a witch.

The girl must have been desperately inventive, after a fashion, to come up with the ‘Witch for Jesus’ fallacy of definition, which I do not think is better or worse that the description of nuns as ‘Brides of Christ.’

Hat tip: Debo

26 Responses to “Nigerian ‘Bishop’ slaps teenage girl in church after accusing her of witchcraft”

1. Daz says:

Signed.

Notice the way the crowd cheered as he hit her? Kinda similar to the way the Roman crowds cheered when the lions got released…

2. Har Davids says:

Well, if you love your god more than you love your children, or just people in general, this is what happens. I’m sure the girl was there with some relatives, who approve of the kind of abuse the bishop dishes out. I watched the clip and checked his site, and this is just another example of a religious con-man, who seems to be doing all right in an impoverished country. So far, I haven’t seen any of these ‘priests’ living a simple life of frugality, setting an example for his flock. How come, if he’s supposed to be rewarded in his after-life?

Not only in Africa. This woman (Doreen Irvine) was very popular in evangelical circles when I was a young man, and claimed to have been a “Satanist” and “Queen of the Witches”. She wrote a bestseller entitled From Witchcraft to Christ, which purported to be her biography, and not a work of fiction!

Bishop David Oyedepo = Devoid, dopey phobias

5. elainek123 says:

Signed…Why are these atrocities not reported more on news TV channels..

I have got 50 signatures in a week.

6. Sasha says:

OK, fat-boy bishop: I’m a witch! Come over here and see if you’re as brave with someone your own size who wouldn’t be afraid to pound your miserable face.

When I read “Winners’ Chapel” I immediately wondered whether this was the “Prosperity Gospel” again. Seems as if it is:

I joined this commission in 2005. I had a call from God to come and join this Church, but I did not harken to that call at the initial stage.
    In May 2005, I was transferred to Makurdi, and ever since then, I had been believing God for a transfer back to Lagos.
    Equally, I was nearly denied of the accommodation given to me in Lagos, and the problem became so enormous that I had to inquire on what to do from a friend.
    He then invited me to an anointing service in this Church titled, Empowerment for Advancement in October 2005.
    When I came for the service, God visited me and four weeks later, my transfer back to Lagos was approved and not only that, I was promoted to the next level.
    Furthermore, my accommodation was restored back.
    I also had a growth in my anus from Maiduguri which I had thought I would be operated on when I get to Lagos, but miraculously, it disappeared after the anointing service. Praise God.

You can see the attraction for people who may have very little, and very few rights or prospects.

8. Daz says:

Barriejohn:

Yep, preying on the weak and vulnerable: exactly what religions do best.

9. ZombieHunter says:

so what dod she do to merit being called a witch?? did she read a harry potter book or something??

10. Jim Boomba says:

“I also had a growth in my anus from Maiduguri which I had thought I would be operated on when I get to Lagos, but miraculously, it disappeared after the anointing service. Praise God”.

That must have been his brain.

I blame the missionaries. The Africans were probably quite happy with their own superstitions until the xtains arrived and corrupted them; the Africans have taken xtianinsanity and made it more extreme.

Petition signed. Abuse and religion – they really do go hand in hand, don’t they.

13. john c says:

I notice a pattern here, the witches/unclean/satanic ones , are always a lot smaller the the bishop delivering the holy slap.

14. Debo says:

Thanks Barry for putting the story out here. People get away with a lot of things in NIgerria – and religion is making it worse. I wince every time I watch the video. And you can’t really begin to grasp how rich Oyedepo is if you are not a NIgerian – he owns four jets, to say the least.

Looking up Doreen Irvine on the internet, I came across this, which might interest others as well:

The religious certainly do appear to be extremely gullible and naive, and open to suggestion!

16. Daz says:

Angela_K

Indeed…

When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said, 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land.
    —Bishop Desmond Tutu

17. Stonyground says:

@Sasha
    Well said. Not only that, where was her father? If he had done that to my daughter he would have ended up looking like roadkill. Of course I would never have taken her to his den of vile superstitions in the first place.

18. Trevor blake says:

As an atheist I offer my full support for the good Bishop. We need to support religious leaders who move toward moderation and away from tradition. Of course I am referring to the Christian tradition of Exodus 22:18, in which Christians are ordered by God Almighty to kill witches. A little slap or two? Bravo! Progress!

19. AngieRS says:

And not one of the men behind him lifted a finger. How brave of them.

20. tony e says:

For me the perfect xmas present would be for these women, and the ones who suffer under islam, rise up and slit these bastards throats during the night.

Then I would say a prayer.

Get a load of this:

I wonder whether he is acquainted with the word “humility” – or “integrity” for that matter!

22. john c says:

Then I would say a prayer.

I wouldnt say a prayer, id just say “thank fuck for that”.

23. chrsbol says:

@Daz. One of my favourite quotes but I always attributed it to Kenyatta I don’t think Tutu is that bright but I could be wrong and usually am.

24. Daz says:

chrsbol

Thanks for that. Guess Tutu ‘borrowed’ it, then. Very Christian!

25. […] Nigerian ‘Bishop’ slaps teenage girl in church after accusing her of witchcraft (freethinker.co.uk) […]