‘I hugged a man in his undies … Jesus would have too’ says apologetic Christian

WHILE the Archbishop of York, the toothy Dr John Sentamu, was running his mouth off yet again about the horrors of same-sex marriage – “I don’t think it is the role of the state to define what marriage is” – a group of Christians turned out at a gay pride event in Chicago to apologise for the way the church has treated homosexuals.

The moment Tristan hugged Nathan. Photo Michelle at maladjustedmedia.com

Nathan, member of the Marin Foundation who is pictured being hugged by a man in his underwear, joined members of the foundation, wearing T-shirts with “I’m Sorry” written on it. There were also signs that said, “I’m sorry that Christians judge you,” “I’m sorry the way churches have treated you,” “I used to be a Bible-banging homophobe, sorry.”

Said Nathan in a blog post entitled I hugged a man in his underwear. And I am proud:

We wanted to be an alternative Christian voice from the protestors that were there speaking hate into megaphones.

Nathan added:

What I loved most about the day is when people ‘got it’. I loved watching people’s faces as they saw our shirts, read the signs, and looked back at us. Responses were incredible. Some people blew us kisses, some hugged us, some screamed thank you. A couple ladies walked up and said we were the best thing they had seen all day. I wish I had counted how many people hugged me. One guy in particular softly said, ‘Well, I forgive you’.

What touched Nathan most – literally – was getting a hug from a man dressed solely in white underwear who “had a pack of abs like no one else.”

That man turned out to be Tristan, who runs his own computer consulting company called Tech Direct 2 U in Joliet, Illinois. Nathan made contact with Tristan, who told him that, as a youngster:

I was enthralled with the Bible and ‘the word of God. I then read the Bible cover to cover and saw so much hate, arrogance, and oppression, so I started to ask questions. The blatant disregard for human life and especially for women was just appalling to me. The more answers I received from my [Catholic] priest and other people of religion just became too much for me.

Tristan added:

So then, around age 16, I ‘lost my faith.’ I searched for a couple of years and looked into other beliefs just to come to the same conclusion. I practiced Zen Buddhism for a few years and started reading more into the universe and science. I then realized that I was just an atheist and have been an atheist for over ten years now. I feel that people have the right to their own beliefs and their own lives, and should do whatever is in their power to be happy in this life.

18 Responses to “‘I hugged a man in his undies … Jesus would have too’ says apologetic Christian”

1. [...] background-position: 50% 0px; background-color:#222222; background-repeat : repeat; } freethinker.co.uk – Today, 11:38 [...]

2. jay says:

Of course that raises the question ‘why underwear’?

Working on the assumption that gay men are pretty much like straight men (who are unlikely to be attending a parade in underwear) what is the point of this?

I have no objections to the human body, male or female, but I’m not sure what the message is here.

3. Harry says:

As I recall from the time it first went viral, they didn’t stop disapproving of homosexuality, they just resolved not to bang on about it in public. Which is an okay first step I guess.

4. AngieRS says:

Yeah, well PaPa bear doesn’t look too enthralled by it all.
    Jay, it’s become a uniform if you like, it’s usually topped off with a white sailors hat, it’s an excuse to flash your bod and have a bit of fun. Simples.

I was wondering whether they had ripped the “offending” verses out of their Bibles, or do they just pretend that they’re not there? As was said on the previous thread, with relation to Mr Sentamu: who decides which bits are relevant and which are not?

6. Daz says:

See! Homosexualityphobia can be cured!

7. Graham Martin-Royle says:

Okay, it’s a start.

8. fester60613 says:

@Jay – you should read the whole article before you ask questions that reveal you haven’t read the whole article. I’ve learned that lesson the heard way. : )

9. jay says:

fester60613– I read the article, I realize this was not the main point being made here.

But it was an observation that for an event that presumably is saying that gay people are just like everyone else this would seem to present a different projection especially since some members of the public make sexual connotations in their mind.

Black pride, Puerto Rican pride and other events don’t generally involve underwear.

10. Harry says:

Incidentally, pride may soon be happenning in star wars:

11. Ed-words says:

So Christian Nathan knowingly hugged a GAY ATHEIST?

When do they apologize for telling their kids they
    have the Original Sin on their souls?

12. Sasha says:

Solves nothing, of course, but the idea stems from the right motives. So, good luck to them!

13. Bob says:

I dont get it- didnt god dislike homosexuals- what with the whole stoning to death thing? So they are apologizing for god? I would think it was weird but then religion never has had logic on its side

14. tony e says:

It’s a positive step in the right direction.

15. Stonyground says:

People have suggested that Sentamu might have his eye on the top job once the current ABofC expires or retires. Considering how he loves to expose himself as an ignorant and feeble minded twerp every time he opens his mouth, I think that this could only be a good thing.

His claim that the Bible says that marriage is between one man and one woman is simply false. There are some nods toward monogamy in bits of the NT but throughout the OT polygamy was the norm. Not only that, your average OT character had no problem cheating on his wife with servant girls, does the idiot bish think that we should take this as a precedent for moral behaviour.

The other answer to anything that he says is in the Bible of course is ‘so effing what?’. Just because he thinks that it is sacred and holy and written by his god doesn’t mean that the rest of us have to. Not until he provides some evidence for such wild assertions anyway.

16. Stuart W says:

I once ordered a CD called ‘What Jesus Said About Homosexuality’. A blank disc then arrived in the post.

Though it wouldn’t move me an inch closer to becoming a Christian, it sure would be great to see the above kind of thing at World Pride in London this summer, with the ‘Nathans’ completely outnumbering the grim-faced, goading fundies.

“Same-sex” marriage was discussed on The Big Questions this morning. Available here now, if you can stomach it!