Pass the sickbag. UK Government uses St Valentine’s Day to cosy up to Ratzinger

TOM Lehrer – best known, perhaps, for his Poisoning Pigeons in the Park song – once famously observed:

Political satire became obsolete when Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel peace prize.

To that he might have well added:

And when Margaret Thatcher decided to restore full diplomatic relations between the UK and the Vatican in 1982.

I was reminded of that mad woman’s move when another Tory crazy, Baroness Warsi, Britain’s first female Muslim Cabinet Minister, proudly announced in a piece she wrote yesterday for the Telegraph:

Today I have the honour of leading the largest ministerial delegation from the United Kingdom to the Vatican – our reciprocal visit following the momentous State Visit of His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI in September 2010.

Barefoot and godly: Baroness Warsi with Prime Minister David Cameron at a mosque

We will be celebrating the decision Margaret Thatcher took 30 years ago to restore full diplomatic relations between our countries. The relationship between the UK and the Holy See is our oldest diplomatic relationship, first established in 1479. And today, thanks to the great success of the Pope’s visit, it is one of the strongest too.

She added:

But this trip is about more than a Valentine’s Day “love in” with our Catholic neighbours. This is about recognising the deep and intrinsic role of faith here in Britain and overseas.

There was more of this nauseating bilge:

I will be arguing [during this jamboree] that to create a more just society, people need to feel stronger in their religious identities and more confident in their creeds. In practice this means individuals not diluting their faiths and nations not denying their religious heritages.

My fear today is that a militant secularisation is taking hold of our societies. We see it in any number of things: when signs of religion cannot be displayed or worn in government buildings; when states won’t fund faith schools; and where religion is sidelined, marginalised and downgraded in the public sphere.

It seems astonishing to me that those who wrote the European Constitution made no mention of God or Christianity. When I denounced this tendency two days before the Holy Father’s State Visit in September 2010, saying that government should ‘do God’, I received countless messages of support. The overwhelming message was: ‘At last someone has said it’.

And she concluded:

So when I have my second audience with the Holy Father tomorrow afternoon, I will not just be looking back on his remarkable visit. I will be giving him my absolute commitment to continue fighting for faith in today’s society. I hope this is something we can share in and I hope it reinforces this extraordinary relationship between the UK and the Holy See.

I am fully behind blogger Matt Taibbi, who argued in 2010 that the Catholic Church was “a criminal enterprise”, saying:

We don’t permit countries that harbor terrorists to participate in international society, but the Catholic Church –an organization that has been proven over and over again to systematically enable child molesters, right up now to the level of the Pope – is given a free pass. In fact the Church is not only not sanctioned in any serious way, it gets to retain its outrageous tax-exempt status, which makes its systematic child abuse, in this country at least, a government-subsidized activity.

And, likening Catholic priests to dodgy plumbers and crooked mechanics, he said:

They’re a giant for-profit company using predatory salesmanship to sell what they themselves know is a defective, outmoded, basically unnecessary product. They’ll use any means necessary to keep their market share and if they have to lie and cheat and deflect and point fingers to keep the racket going, they’ll do it, just like any other sleazeball company.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn, Agent Cormac & AngieRS

43 Responses to “Pass the sickbag. UK Government uses St Valentine’s Day to cosy up to Ratzinger”

Full marks for observancy! Is Ms Warsi off her trolley? She would obviously have been happier in the Europe of the Middle Ages, where life was completely dominated by the Church. Oh, wait a minute – she wouldn’t have been free to practise her faith then, would she? Come to think of it, no one would have taken any notice of her anyway because she is a woman!

Baroness Warsi: Brassier as now

3. Harry says:

Is there grounds for a claim of libel over this repeated misuse of the word militant?

@Harry: Isn’t the Noble Barenness inciting hatred against atheists?

5. Alan C says:

Who the fuck voted this “Cabinet minister” into office?………..Oh I remember………Nobody!

I hope she squirms every day when Parliamentary business is started with a Christian prayer.

I’m pleased to see that everywhere this story has been published and comments are open, she’s getting a good kicking.

I don’t suppose she will want to discuss with Ratzinger the infestation of his church by perverted priests lusting after little boys. Or the zero democracy in the House of Lords with its unelected peers and 26 unelected bishops. Or the abomination of the way women are treated in muslim culture. Instead, this cowardly woman, prefers to invent the threat from aggressive secularists and to fantasise about the value of faith in society. She has found a niche for herself as a supposed defender of religion and as her unbalanced comments get her publicity this, in turn, feeds her vanity.

She is so obvious and shallow that she brings shame on the very things she supposedly supports.

7. Dave B says:

So,to create a more just society people need to feel stronger in their religious identities and more confident in there creeds? Sounds to me like a recipe for a more segregated society.:(

8. john.c says:

Well, she has thrown in her half an opinion about it,now she can post her half a vote, along with every other muslim woman, Somehow, i think the public will see through such cynical atempts at manipulation, a muslim pushing christianity, surely she now deserves a fatwa?

9. Petursey says:

Vile woman with delusional fantasies … The biggest threat to society at the moment are her and the rest of the Tory scum who are running the country into the ground and feathering their nests with offers of plum jobs with mega bonuses when they leave office. Whenever I hear this woman’s whining voice full of claptrap the TV goes off.

As you can tell I don’t like her much…and it pains me to say she’s also from Yorkshire.

I notice Warsi [minister without portfolio] is doing her good muslim bit and walking behind a man. I don’t suppose Cameron and Warsi will be discussing the kiddie fiddler cover ups.

11. Alan C says:

#Angela
    I notice Warsi [minister without portfolio] is doing her good muslim bit and walking behind a man.#

Like it :-)

12. Dess says:

“..people need to feel stronger in their religious identities and more confident in their creeds. In practice this means individuals not diluting their faiths..”

Not diluting their faith! So she’s advocating people following to the letter their religious texts. On this she should be tackled upon. And it would give us the perfect opportunity to show the masses what these books actually say. Wake the general unthinking consensus of all religions being basically “nice”.
    Any reasonable person would then ideally not flippantly align themselves to their birth cult.

13. Russell W says:

My Lehrer favourite is the ‘Vatican Rag’ and there’s also his marvellous tribute to Dr Werner von Braun.

It is almost incomprehensible that this bizarre and utterly meaningless ‘delegation’ is taking place. What is it hoping to achieve? Why is yet more tax-payer money being wasted on pandering to the Pope? What’s the bloody point?!!!!

According to The Telegraph, Wasri and her fellow time-wasters will discuss ‘climate change, arms proliferation, religious tolerance, interfaith dialogue and the crisis in Somalia and the Horn of Africa’ with Ratty. Like the Vatican can actually influence anything whatsoever to do with climate change or arms proliferation. Like it wants to do anything whatsoever other than look after its own vested interests in Somalia or the Horn of Africa.

The whole thing just makes me so angry I could even turn into one those ‘militant atheists’!

Anyway, I’m with Terry Sanderson, President of the National Secular Society, who said: “What on earth is a delegation of senior British politicians doing consulting the last theocracy in Europe on our Government policy? We are a democratic nation and we didn’t vote for the Pope – so why are we involving him in policy-making? Polls show that very few people in this country agree with his teachings – and that includes Catholics. This is an extremely undesirable development. The Government should be challenging the Vatican’s assumed and suspect power, not indulging it.”

15. Daz says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but she doesn’t seem to have thought through the idea of ‘secularist’. As a Muslim member of the House of Lords, in a country that until 1829 wouldn’t even have allowed a Catholic a place in government, you’d think she’d be able to spot the obvious…

Two, four, six, eight… time to transubstantiate

The more I read Wasri’s comments, the more I want to throw up. This woman is not only out of her bloody mind, she’s really very dangerous. Has she learned nothing from what history has to tell us about the effects of theocracies on human rights and democracy? Nothing from the way xtians and muslims have so inhumanly treated each other down the centuries? Nothing from her very own subjugation at the hands of religion?

I can only assume she is hoping to further her own political career by coming out with the utter bollocks she has been spouting lately. And I can only hope that most people see her for the publicity-seeking imbecile that she really is.

17. Bubblecar says:

If I can post on a topic like this without being accused of “hysteria”: I think it’s interesting to ask – what’s the political point of all this, from the point of view of the Tory party? Or Labour for that matter, who are just as quick to run to the defence of religion at the drop of a hat? Presumably they’re all aware of the surveys which show religious belief & practice to be increasingly unimportant for the great majority of Brits. We’ve either got to assume that unlike the nation, the major parties actually are top-heavy with religious believers, genuinely wanting to “turn back the tide” and engineer a major religious revival in Britain, or it’s just being used as a distraction that will help keep religious minorities onside, without offending most Brits because they coudn’t give a stuff about religion one way or another. Either way, it’s making the British government look increasingly weird and out of kilter not just with its own people but with Western secular traditions.

18. Robster says:

These brain dead religiots seem to wander through life with slightly crossed eyes, toothy grin and no idea at all on just about everything. To say that faith is important to a society is like saying good tyres are important when boating. The vatican and ratzy can keep her. They could practise their dogmatic indoctrination on an adult.

19. remigius says:

‘…when signs of religion cannot be displayed or worn in government buildings’

Yeah right. Like the crucifixes displayed, and pretty frocks worn by the 26 bigots bishops in the House of Lords.

‘…when states won’t fund faith schools

Yeah right. Like the faith schools being actively promoted and funded by the very government she is a member of.

‘…and where religion is sidelined, marginalised and downgraded in the public sphere

Yeah right. The only reason she got a bloody peerage is because the Conservative party needed some token moon-worshippers in the upper house to attract the crazy vote. And the only reason she got a bloody seat in the Cabinet is because the Conservative party needed a token moon-worshipper in the government to attract the crazy vote.

For fucks sake, I’ve just drunk enough Drambuie and ginger wine to incapacitate a pit pony and yet I still have a better grasp of religion and politics than that fuckwitted tart ever will.

20. The Woggler says:

Doesn’t his hollowness still owe a few millions for his holiday here a couple of years ago? Somehow I doubt the subject was even raised.

21. Ivan says:

@Broga

“I don’t suppose she will want to discuss with Ratzinger the infestation of his church by perverted priests lusting after little boys.”

Nearly half of their victims were little girls. The RC Church has an equal opportunities policy on child rape.

According to A N Wilson, Barminess Warsi is “open-minded”!

More here on the “high priest of the secular movement”:

There is also an article on the same subject by George Pitcher!

PS When are they going to cease referring to Prof. Dawkins as a “god-3hating scientist”? It is really getting very tiresome.

25. Brian Jordan says:

So Warsi thinks that Ratty the Vatican Vole’s 110 acres with a population of 800 is country, does she? Then my front garden, where I could muster a family of 11 and a couple of cats, is surely an enclave. When do I get my royal visit?

Seriously, though, what do these sycophants think they are at, bowing to a fiction dreamed up by Mussolini?

26. elainek123 says:

This woman makes my blood boil. She is under the thumb of men who think she has no right to speak. Shame she didnt hide her face. Can I take her to the Human Rights in Europe for blasphemy against me as an atheist.How dare she say that I am less of a woman than her.
    David Cameron should go to America and run for the Republicans.

27. Newspaniard says:

Don’t wish to be rude but it seems more and more that this government is being run by a load of religiots. I thought when Blair and Brown left we would have less knee bending to people of religion. When the Baroness says “christian religion” is she actually practising her taqiyya and really means islamists? Cynical old me Ho Hum. I know, “Get back under my bridge!”

28. Har Davids says:

Can anyone tell me what the exact purpose of this visit is? In the old days it may have been a custom for (un)elected officials to go to Rome to do some papal ass-kissing, but now that we’re supposed to be living in democracies this trip seems a waste of time and an insult to the secular society we have become, unless these politicians are looking for guidance. And of course, a Muslim taking part of it makes it more than a bit ludicrous.

Newsthumb is on the spot: http://newsthump.com/2012/02/14/baroness-warsi-condemns-rise-in-militant-clear-thought-and-logic/

29. Stuart H. says:

Just out of curiosity, if this is a ‘return visit’ after Ratzo’s expensive imposition on the UK public, I wonder if the Vatican is making it equally high profile and shelling out anything like the security budget demanded for Benny the Boy Nazi’s trip over here, and if it was, wonder what parts of the Vatican State social care and education budget will be cut because Whitehall doesn’t offer to chip in and make up the shortfall…
    I know, not going to happen,and the UK taxpayer will probably shell out for the security costs of these dimwits popping in to see Benny, so the real question might be, wonder which vulnerable sector of the UK population sees further cuts to pay for THIS visit?

30. Reginald Selkirk says:

Strangest thing – when I read in the news about mosques being blown up, it’s not usually secularists who are doing the militating.

@Ivan: Yup, I got that wrong in that I discriminated against RC priests. They don’t mind which sex of child they abuse. Definitely equal opportunities.

Warsi’s delusions have their encouraging aspect. I like the idea that the NSS, a “tiny minority of aggressive secularists”, is eroding the role of faith in public life. I also enjoy the howls anguish from the faith groupies when Keith Porteous Wood is able to say a few words on the BBC. And that demonic enemy of all that is good and holy, Richard Dawkins, is now such a terror for the religious that nothing is too minor or irrelevant for them to use in attacking him. When balanced against their benign attitude to Ratzi their manic prejudice is laughable.

Their problems are, of course, insurmountable however they try to censor and dress up their views. Simply, the leakage from belief in the face of reason is ineluctable. They cannot stop it, they cannot contradict the facts and Warsi’s dopey posturing is a gift to secularism.

32. Pete H says:

@ Broga:

“HE DIDN’T KNOW THE FULL TITLE OF DARWIN’S BOOK! THAT MEANS GOD EXISTS!”

[sigh]

@Pete H. That is what I had immediately in mind. But isn’t this really sad nonsense. I don’t know the full title and I guess few people do. The Victorians had a liking for long, explanatory titles. What did the Daily Mail clown (I think that’s where it was)think he was proving. Richard Dawkins has written a clutch of brilliant scientific best sellars; written them with style and clarity and underpinned his writing with sound science.

The criticsm shows their desperation to find some way to attack him. The same outfit is ready to excuse and praise the RC mafia, endlessly on the take, and ignore the suffering the same religious mafia have inflicted on its victims.

The full title: The origin of species by means of natural selection.
    Sub-title: Or the preservation of favoured races in the struggle for life.
    The sub-title was removed on later editions so is not well know.

35. Edwin says:

The religious appeal to history as justification so we should look at the hostile actions from the Vatican throughout history.

595AD The Augustine mission to Britain following the discovery by the Pope of two pretty Saxon boys in a Roman slave market. No evidence of the Pope liberating the boys from slavery which might have been the “Christian thing to do”. Britain had been Christian for something like
    200 years at least but the crucial thing was not in obedience to the Papacy.

1066 Pope declares a crusade against Harold and England, gives William the bastard a magic banner as well. This is despite the massive contributions of Saxon kings over the centuries to the Vatican and a well established English School in Rome.

1208-13 Pope places England under an interdict, no burying, marrying etc.

1570 Pope excommunicates Elizabth 1 and proceeds to encourage her assasination and the attempted conquest of England by the Armada. Incidentally God wasn’t paying attention because he caused the winds to blow and scattered the Spanish fleet.

Bored now but I could go on and on right up to the present day with accounts of attempted Papal interference in Britain. And we are consulting the present incumbent!

Edwin: The really tragic thing is that practically all Papal interference in politics down through the centuries has been disastrous – in particular their support of the fascists. The power of prayer, eh?

I know that this series was pure soap opera, but this was magnificent!

The Queen has weighed in now:

I have no idea what all that means!

The mail is cock-a-hoop, and Carey says that Christians should be prepared to “fight and die” for Christianity!

@ barriejohn

Fight and die, eh? What wonderful values the church has!