Take a bow, Senator Stacey Campfield. You are our Idiot of the Month

STACY Campfield, 42, is a right-wing Republican senator in the state of Tennessee. He is also a devout Catholic. It is a combination that has produced a very stupid man who has an intense dislike for The Gays. In fact, his distaste for homosexuality goes so deep that last year he authored a “Don’t Say Gay” bill which aims to outlaw any attempts to inform Tennessee kids about homosexuality before they reach the ninth grade.

The moronic Stacey Campfield

Campfield insists his bill, which would limit class discussions to “natural human reproduction science” in public schools, is necessary because homosexuality is “dangerous”.

A while back, during the course of a radio interview, our Stacey made controversial statements on the HIV/AIDS epidemic, and the media’s supposed “glorification” of homosexuals:

Most people realize that AIDS came from the homosexual community – it was one guy screwing a monkey, if I recall correctly, and then having sex with men. It was an airline pilot, if I recall. My understanding is that it is virtually – not completely, but virtually – impossible to contract AIDS through heterosexual sex …

Not only is the man mad, he is sadly lacking in education. But what is even more disturbing is that, this week, his egregious bill found support among Tennessee’s legislators. Members of the House education committee actually voted in favour of this discriminatory crap.

Campfield’s bill was even supported by a Democrat. Said state representative John DeBerry:

Wednesday’s hearing attracted a large crowd, including many high school students involved in gay-straight alliance groups at Nashville high schools. Some students stood in protesrt on a busy street with their mouths covered in purple tape.

Only one subcommittee member opposed the measure. Representative Craig Fitzhugh, a Democrat, said:

It looks to me like a solution looking for a problem.

Meanwhile, we learned today from this report that “if the Governor of Kansas, Sam Brownback and Lt Gov Jeff Coyler get their way, it will be legal to discriminate against gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons in the state – as long as you do it in the name of religion”.

Their bill, HB 2260, would allow individuals sue the government if their exercise of religion:

Has been burdened, or is likely to be burdened.

Coyler said during a hearing on the bill that:

The federal government’s recent attempts to trample the religious liberties of millions of Americans must be at the forefront of your debate. Religious liberty is at the heart of who we are as a people.

In support of the bill, Michael Schuttloffel, executive director of the Kansas Catholic Conference, said:

Increasingly, freedom of religion is being reduced and confined to little more than the freedom to worship in a private setting.

Simon Brown, of Secular News Daily, observed:

What Coyler, Schuttloffel and other advocates of this bill are really doing is using ‘religious freedom’ as a justification for allowing some Kansans to impose their religion onto others … Religious freedom is not under attack in the United States. Those who claim it is are using tactics of fear and distortion to justify radical changes that would make it much easier for them to impose their narrow version of faith onto unwilling third parties. Legislation like this can crush rights and spawn chaos, which is why every effort must be made to make sure that HB 2260 ends up on the legislative scrap heap, just as it did last year.

Hat tip: Canada Dave (Kansas report)

25 Responses to “Take a bow, Senator Stacey Campfield. You are our Idiot of the Month”

1. Gill says:

I thought it was les dennis!

2. AngieRS says:

Good to see the students protesting this bigoted rubbish.

Your problem being…?

PS We did see the humour in the name Campfield, but Schuttloffel is just plain stupid, Barry!

5. Barry Duke says:

It may seem that way, BarrieJohn, but I can assure you that I am not, and never have been, on a mission to seek out stupid fundies with preposterous names. They just keep popping out all over the place.

My favourite, though, has to be Major General Albert “Bert” N Stubblebine III, a loon who believed psychic forces could be harnessed by the US military, and that soldiers could be trained to walk through walls.

He himself tried to walk through the walls of his office but admitted in a hurt, perplexed manner that he “kept bumping his nose”. Stubblebine was in charge at one stage of around 16,000 army personnel.

From http://www.newsmonster.co.uk/paranormal-unexplained/the-real-story-of-the-men-who-stare-at-goats.html

Visitors to General Stubblebine’s offices at Arlington, Virginia, tell of him repeatedly walking at walls – only to bounce painfully off them. In his mind, there was never any doubt that the ability to pass through solid objects would one day be a common tool in the intelligence gathering arsenal. Nonetheless, he was continuously frustrated by his own inability to walk through walls.

“I still think it’s a great idea,” says General Stubblebine. “I simply kept bumping my nose. It’s a disappointment. Same with the levitation.”

I’ve just read that Stubblebine is a member of the (US) Military Intelligence Hall of Fame.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Some things are beyond ridicule. This is one of them. I pass.

8. Pete H says:

His words:

are far more dangerous than homosexuality could ever be.

“The basic right as an American is my right to life, my right to liberty and my right to the pursuit of happiness. Within that includes being able to run my home, raise my children as I see fit and indoctrinate them as I see fit.”

WTF?! I had to check to make sure it wasn’t April 1st when I read that quote. Indoctrinating your kids is a basic American right?! Surely you’ve made that bit up, Barry.

10. remigius says:

Today I learned that AIDS was caused by an airline pilot having sex with a monkey!

Tis a wonderful thing this internet.

11. Normand says:

What is disturbing is that this man is an elected official….a senator at that…. which means that people voted for him, which in itself, is even more disturbing. But I guess these are the same people who would vote for Gingrish, Santorum,Palin, ad nauseam. Sad, really.

12. D. Austin says:

AIDS did come from monkeys, but the transmission is thought to be from eating them, ie Bushmeat, not Meating the bush, though beastality does occur. Baaaa….

Normand: Pat Robertson picked up quite a few votes in the presidential race some years back; but didn’t you forget that the American people very nearly elected George W Bush president on TWO occasions? Lucky for him that he had his brother and the compliant media to actually put him in office!

The Gove-rnment are going ahead with the distribution of Bibles in schools:

And Bideford council are appealing the ban on council prayers, supported by the Christian Institute: an appalling waste of everyone’s time and money considering that Pickles has vowed to make them legal soon anyway!

15. northern light says:

“Religious liberty is at the heart of who we are as a people.”

You got it wrong pal.
    Freedom…….is at the heart of what you Americans are as a people.
    Believing in sky daddies just happens to be a freedom the same as sex is between to consenting adults.

You religious people are pathetic.

16. Don says:

barriejohn,

re. the bible thing. Surely everyone knows that every school has several bibles? What are we supposed to with one extra? Hell, even I have a bible on my shelves, next to the koran and other key texts and commentaries. They hardly cost anything, in fact the koran was given to me by some very polite muslim students at Leeds Uni. And yet if I so much as roll my eyes at this show-boating waste of time and money I’m being ‘militant’.

As for Campfield, what troubles me is that as a senator he must have a team of people some of whom must do basic research. Surely? He has easy access to the facts, but they just don’t matter. It’s not that he is horribly, ludicrously wrong but that he knows it doesn’t matter.

Maybe it does matter, Don. Maybe he knows what will play well with the electorate.

18. Stuart W says:

His name is Stacey Campfield and he thinks heterosexual sex has virtually no risk of AIDS? Sounds like a reject from Catherine Tate’s notebook when considering a new character to join Derek and his friend Leonard Mincing.

19. Alan C says:

#barriejohn
    And Bideford council are appealing the ban on council prayers, supported by the Christian Institute: an appalling waste of everyone’s time and money#

Hopefully it will be “the Christian institute” That wastes the most money on this futile appeal, did they not read the judgment ffs? It’s the law!

The NSS are requesting donations to cover any costs that they might incur.

#Please donate to help us keep this ruling intact. You can do it securely online or by post to NSS (Appeal), 25 Red Lion Square, London WC1R 4RL.#

20. Marky Mark says:

I know I’m off topic and I’m sorry, but this is important.

I have been fighting the religious right from Indiana politics for over four years, who have backed the release of child killer Hope Rippey, and the attempt at release of Melinda Loveless, that I was a part of participating with petitions, creating video…ect. to keep her in prison (search the Shanda Sharer Case, and you will be apalled) All to enlighten the public about this horrible case and the injustice that religion plays in our prison system. (the pot smokers that do not believe are still in prison, but the girls who tortured, raped, and burned alive a 12-year-old little girl are free, because they are born again.
    No one should be released from prison because they were Born Again in prison and were part of a high profile murder of a 12-year-old girl.

I have been threatened with being charged with murder by someone that claims to be from the Indiana Justice dept because of my videos here about this case: http://www.youtube.com/user/FullMoonVideo?feature=chclk

To all who post here and are on the side of science and logic over religion…Please call Illinois Asst. Attorney General Greg Walker who is investigating this @ 312-814-1010. and tell him be sure to pursue my complaint.

21. Hitchens'apprentice says:

I’ve always said, ”Cristianity, and particularly, ‘Catholicism’ are the religion for children & people with low intelligence”. My ‘theory’ has been proven many times over. Stacy Campfield is just the latest example. People with low intelligence, and Catholics, like Campfield, have usually low opinions of others, and themselves, because their church teaches them, having Esteem for anyone but Geebus, is a ‘SIN’. They’re taught that they are only Sin-filled, worthless worms, or ‘SHEEP’ in the catholic church, needing a Sheppard, & owing their dear lives, and meer existance to an imaginary ghod….. who will punish them forever if they veer away from the direct control of that same church. What a sad state of affairs………… That these are the people who Govern US!!!

22. Thoreau says:

Think this needs a mention. I know it had its own thread but people tend to look at the most recent topic here.

What a bunch of fuckers we have in government in the UK. They’re bringing in changes to reverse the court judgement outlawing council prayers. That didn’t take them very long, did it?

This is the same government who are trying to force terminally ill people to work a full week for subsistence level benefits.

Kids up chimneys by Monday lunchtime.

23. Buffy says:

Witness the dangerous intersection of long-term inbreeding and religious batshittery.

24. […] de estos fanáticos, pero esta vez la noticia nos llega desde los Estados Unidos.Dice la noticia en The Freethinker:Stacy Campfield (42) es un senador republicano de derecha del estado de Tennessee. También es un […]

25. […] la noticia en The Freethinker: Stacy Campfield (42) es un senador republicano de derecha del estado de Tennessee. También es un […]