Norwich ‘hate-mongers’ banned from market stall

JUST days after it was reported the Irish-American actress and comedienne Rosie O’Donnell was targeted by a chauvinistic street preacher who called her a “lesbian pig” and told her to “go home and do the dishes, its your job” comes news from Norwich that a church has been barred from a market stall for disseminating “hate literature”.

Rosie O'Donnell faces up to a mad Christian fundie. Click on pic for video.

A complaint received by Norwich City Council about the stuff the Norwich Reformed Church was dishing out at a weekly “outreach” bookstall on the council-owned Hay Hill site prompted a review of the materials produced by the church’s pastor, Reverend Alan Clifford.

As a result, the council contacted police as the literature, particularly the leaflet entitled Why not Islam?, was considered to be “hate-motivated”.

The church was then told to bugger off and never darken the market again … or until such time someone decides it was all a horrible misunderstanding and that a gross infringement of freedom of expression had taken place.

The council-run Eaton Park Community Centre has also been contacted with a view to ceasing any further bookings made by the church.

A council spokesman said:

Although the police advised that no criminal offence had been committed, we have a duty under the Equality Act 2010 to foster good relations between people of all backgrounds and religions. By allowing premises owned by the council to be used by an organisation publishing such material, we would be failing in that duty. People across Norfolk have recently been urged to stand up to hate-motivated and intolerant behaviour through a publicity campaign and as a council we have to play our part and take action where necessary.

Clifford, who has scuttled off  to the Christian Institute for advice, said an “extraordinarily silly” form of “political correctness” had emerged.

While the opinion of the Christian Institute is awaited, it is hoped that in due course, common sense might prevail, and that Norwich Reformed Church’s rights to worship and witness will be restored.

Hat tip: Angela Kingdom (O’Donnell report) and Agent Cormac

56 Responses to “Norwich ‘hate-mongers’ banned from market stall”

1. Equality Jack says:

@Matt
    Ad hominems only work if you think they prove something and then only in your own mind anyway.

It would be you, I think, who attaches an unreasonable and unrealistic importance to words written by other human beings.

Let’s consider a very real possibility concerning your particular “holy texts” – That they were written by, wait for it,….atheists!

Just you think about that (if you can).

You hate atheists, yet do not seem to have considered that the authors of the words you so venerate could easily have been atheists pretending to be believers in the stuff they made up on the spot!

I’m guessing you’re a Catholic from your responses to my words.
    What about a Pope who was always, or became, an atheist and simply pretended to whatever was necessary depending on who he was talking to?

Have you seen the investigations of Mother Teresa that showed her to be a conniving, sadistic woman who wrote that she had no faith, yet continued to torture suffering innocent people who had come to her for help?

Really, I could go on and on. You don’t like being called out on your clearly faulty reasoning. That’s okay. We’re here for you.

2. Matt Westwood says:

I see no fault in my reasoning. I do, however, see fault with yours.

We can, I presume, agree that: “(At least) Some Catholics are bad.”

Where you seem to go wrong is the extrapolation: “… Therefore all Catholics are bad.” And this is where I differ.

And further, you then go on to state: “… And therefore, anyone who does not agree with me that all Catholics are bad, must therefore themselves be Catholics.”

Unless, of course, the very fact of “being a Catholic” is, in your eyes, bad. And that anyone who disagrees with “all Cathoiics are bad” are themselves bad, and, by extension, “a hater of atheists”, and, by further extension, “a Catholic”.

You’ve met them all, and believe you have the moral authority to weigh them all up against your scale of altruistic and unimpeachable values, have you?

No, you haven’t and you don’t. You’re expressing the sentiments of a semi-intelligent bigot.

Incidentally, you just need to replace “Catholic” by “gay” in your argument above and you have just mirrored the Catholic argument.

3. Equality Jack says:

I see you love to put words in people’s mouths that they never said.
    I never said those things. You are a liar and a poor one.

And you “extrapolate” like a brain-damaged yak.

Now that we have firmly established, with your all-too-willing assistance, your utter incompetence and inability to argue intelligently, I feel confident that there should be no further need to ascribe any worth to whatever expression of self you come up with in the future.

Should you someday understand just how pathetic and disgusting you are as a human being in your relations with others, rest assured that I am not in the habit of carrying grudges against the disabled, the mentally retarded, or the mentally ill.

I know it’s not really your fault. That’s why I’m not going to take anything you say personally. It’s just your inability to discuss things with others in a reasonable way that causes you to act out your puerile aggression towards me in this way.

If I could, I’d help you. Since I can’t help you, all I can say is try to move on with your life. Learn to grow inside. Work at accepting the fact that you will likely be this way the rest of your life. Mental illness is a sad state of affairs even with modern medical science.

You are sick. You need help. A bullet might not come amiss, either. It could be a very merciful thing to end your life before things get out of hand and you commit violence against someone. Just a thought.

4. Matt Westwood says:

The specific posting was on the “Nuns stunned after being ordered by the Vatican to get back on the straight and narrow” thread, where you said:

“Yeah, you get right on your defense of the “goodness” of these sadistic, child-abusing, busybodies who grasp at every bit of cash from anyone at all using terrorist propaganda that oppresses every bit of a person’s life … If those nuns were truly decent people, they’d leave the religion altogether. But they’ve been brainwashed into being co-dependent sadists who are used to keep the followers alive long enough to drain them of money … Those are nasty bits of work right there … We don’t need sadists running soup kitchens, do we?”

which is one of the nastier pieces of hate-speech that I’ve seen for a long time.

You nasty piece of work.

5. Daz says:

You know what…

Following “You are sick. You need help.” with “A bullet might not come amiss, either. It could be a very merciful thing to end your life…” is one of the stupidest bits of unintentional irony I’ve seen since the last time the Pope opened his gob.

I’m not sure whether you’re suggesting suicide or threatening murder but either way you’re being an arsehole. Death threats are not funny and they’re not clever.

6. This thread has got out of hand, and is being closed down. Please do not try to continue it elsewhere on this site.