Poll reveals that Christians detest Christian TV

I AM a tad confused. DoersTV (motto: The Home of Christian Reality TV) has over 100,000 fans on Facebook, but a poll conducted by the broadcaster itself shows that most of them detested Christian television.

Chief Executive of DoersTV, Pastor David Wright, made this discovery after he conducted a poll of the channel’s Facebook 102,000 followers, and was “flabbergasted” by the results.

The vast majority said they hate Christian TV and do not watch it. Wright said that 90 percent of the feedback to his poll was negative.

Comments in the response posts indicated several major turn-offs when it comes to Christian TV:

• Too much begging for money and fundraising telethons

• False prosperity teachers manipulating people for offerings

• Boring and a lack of quality programming

• Lack of integrity of Christian leaders being broadcast

Said Wright:

I kind of expected there would be those Christians who thought Christian TV was too boring or not relevant for the times, but I never would have imagined the disdain thousands of Christians have for Christian TV.

He added:

Unfortunately, the greed for money has replaced the need for ministry among many of our ministers and Christian TV networks. People are fed up with the lust for material things.

He said that an absence of integrity among pastors and leaders of today has played a major role in the negative perception of Christian TV.

We can’t have pastors indulging in sin and expect people not to be turned off.

22 responses to “Poll reveals that Christians detest Christian TV”

1. Buffy says:

Christian TV is horrible for the reasons indicated in the poll, plus the overwhelming amount of bigotry spewed by the televangelists toward anybody who isn’t exactly like them. What’s ironic is that Christians themselves detest “Christian TV” yet spend so much time whining about normal TV, claiming it doesn’t reflect their “Christian values” blah blah blah. Apparently the “Christian TV” doesn’t either so WTF do they want?

2. remigius says:

Blimey. If you think Christian TV is bad just wait till you see The Saudi’s version of Britain’s Got Talent

3. Brian Jordan says:

I think the message is intended to apply to all Christian Television but his own. I bet if you saw the poll you’d find it begged a few questions – most of them do anyway.
    Oops – sudden (well, slow) thought: maybe it’s been Pharyngulated 🙂

“Christian reality” Some mistake, surely; two words that don’t belong together. My blood pressure can only stand a few seconds of religious TV; how they get away with some of the things they say amazes me. They are all full of the “Salvation guaranteed or your money back” types – charlatans and crooks all of them.

Remigius, Interesting you mention “Britain’s got Talent” On a another forum in which I post we are not allowed to use the word sh*t so now use “Britain’s got Talent” instead.

5. Matt Westwood says:

Some time ago I spent some time in the Antichrist’s Great Success (the US), and out of curiosity I tuned into one of the xtian TV channels (there was nothing remotely watchable on any of the others, basically, as per normal). This particular channel was showing a movie which made The Waltons look like Pulp Fiction.

6. Bubblecar says:

Americans queue up to be knowingly ripped off by obvious charlatans, I suppose because there’s something reassuring about it all. If these gurus were preaching poverty and selflessness there’d be something very suss about the whole thing – very “un-American”. Instead, they’re saying: “Send us money. God wants me to be rich and in helping me to do so, you’ll be reinforcing your own claim to become rich without requiring any justifiable reason. All you have to do is believe, or be seen to believe. As long as we all insist that God wants us to prosper, this is what will come to pass, as long as we believe. And by sending me lots of money, you are all affirming that you believe, and are thus yourselves worthy of becoming rich, without having to do anything worthwhile.”

7. Barry Duke says:

@ Angela K. I began watching an American series called Homeland last night, but burst out laughing at scene showing a group of spooks driving towards something called the George Bush Intelligence Center.

8. tony e says:

Slightly off topic.

I was working in Egypt a few years ago and one night watched an old American cop show from the seventies, Kojak, in which everyone smoked.

At first I thought it was my eyes deceiving me after indulging a wee bit in the hotel bar. But, in an attempt to disguise smoking I think, the cigs were superimposed by what looked a bit like flowers.

If anything it gave me a good laugh and, ironically, drew attention to the smoking even more.

@Bubblecar: It’s a few years since I watched any Christian TV but my memories are:

1. The preacher saying that credit cards and cheques were OK and that the more you gave the more God would give you back. If you lack the trust to give generously to God how can you expect him to reward you.

2. The simplicity that the indicated would cut through all the tangle of life and the problems in which we are all enmeshed. Whatever your problem, health, finance, relationships, the answer is to give to God. Why struggle, why worry, just send money.

3. The charisma of the preacher. The guy I watched was Elmer Gantry in the flesh. He really poured on the message.

10. Anonymous says:

I’ll just leave this here on account of the relevant lyrics:

I’m sure I’ve posted this here before!

GodTV used to be available to cable subscribers in this country, but it was toe-curlingly awful.

Senator Charles Grassley launched an investigation into “broadcast ministries”, but it was a bit of a damp squib to say the least.

Creflo Dollar (how I love that name!)…is known for his controversial teachings of prosperity theology. He has been criticized for his lavish lifestyle as he owns two Rolls-Royces, a private jet, a million dollar home in Atlanta, and a $2.5m home in Manhattan, which he sold for $3.75m in 2012. Dollar has refused to disclose his salary and Creflo Dollar Ministries received a grade of “F” for financial transparency by the organization MinistryWatch.

Dollar was subpoenaed during divorce proceedings between heavyweight boxing champion Evander Holyfield and Holyfield’s second wife, Janice Itson, after Itson alleged that Holyfield had donated $7 million to Dollar’s ministry just before he filed for divorce.

On June 8, 2012 Dollar was arrested in Fayetteville, Georgia on charges of allegedly attacking his 15-year-old daughter. The initial report stated Dollar’s 15-year-old daughter accused him of choking her, throwing her to the ground, and spanking her with his shoe. The official charges were simple battery and cruelty to children, both misdeameanors. He was later released on a $5000 bail.

On November 6, 2007, United States Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa announced an investigation of several ministries by the United States Senate Committee on Finance. Grassley asked for financial information to determine whether Dollar made any personal profit from financial donations and requested that Dollar’s ministry make the information available by December 6, 2007. The investigation also asked for information from five other televangelists: Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland, Eddie L. Long, Joyce Meyer, and Paula White.

On March 16, 2009, Grassley, now only an individual Senator on the committee, stated “My staff and I continue to review the information we’ve received from the ministries that cooperated, and we continue to weigh our options for the ministries that have not cooperated,” noting that two of the ministries, Benny Hinn and Joyce Meyer, gave full financial disclosure. Dollar has contested the probe, arguing that the proper governmental entity to examine religious groups is the IRS, not the Committee on Finance. (Wikipedia)

13. charlie says:

All TV preachers make me remember the George Carlin bit about god. While god “may” have created all of creation (very doubtful I think we all agree) god has money troubles. He always needs money. Apparently the creator of all creation cannot manage his cash flow. Poor god, might be headed to the poor house. Hey, maybe pope Rtazo can loan hum a few dollars, Euros, D marks, British pounds, which ever to tide him over the current “rough patch” until god gets his finances in order.

14. JohnMWhite says:

My parents used to have a habit of watching EWTN, and it seemed as though they thought it was good for the soul, but even they admitted to being incredibly bored by it unless a really good mass was on.

I love the idea that a ‘free Christian network online’ is doing Christian TV god’s way. I cannot help but imagine most people who would watch it would feel that providing free medical treatment to whomever needs it is doing health care Satan’s way.

15. tony e says:

Charlie and all others……….

Enjoy

16. Ben Snell says:

@Barry Duke. You’re in good company there mate. As concerned as many of us were whether this country was ready for a black president we were certain that we’d had enough of “The Decider” and his Party of God.

17. Trevor Blake says:

Those Christian television programs and networks aren’t operated for free. The money is coming from somewhere. The two questions are, then, where is it coming from and can I have a tiny bit of it? I’ll put on a suit and shout nonsense once a week, if that helps.

Perhaps the answer is many people don’t like it but contribute money anyway. Or there are a few people giving a great deal of money that compensates for the majority. Or there is money laundering going on. But of course no tax-free organization that has no financial or legal oversight would ever launder money. Oh my no.

18. Stuart W says:

Televangelism is pure genius; is there any other way to get so filthy rich from doing so little? An intoxicating mixture of charisma, flattery, scare-tactics and studio theatrics unleashed on the monumentally gullible who will send money upon finger click and won’t even question how the private jet/ celebrity lifestyle squares with ‘blessed are the meek’.

19. Matt Westwood says:

Mega-rich people pay lots of their income to charities so they don’t have to pay tax on it. They in fact own these charities, of course, and draw most of the money they’ve paid in as “expenses”. What this means is that they are paying tax on perhaps 5% or 10% of their income, rather than the 45% or 50% that the gubmint would prefer.

Of course, the libertarian view is that tax is theft, and there should be no taxation at all. The fact that they are quite happy to use the infrastructure (roads, schools, etc.) that are paid for by that taxation shows them up to be fucking hypocrites, of course.

20. charlie says: