A ROW of biblical proportions has erupted in America following an attack by a progressive rabbi on the US Conference of Catholic Bishops, who accused it of “attacking the religious freedom of millions of American women and the religious freedom of American nuns” over contraception.

Fight! Rabbi Waskow v Bill Donohue

Philadelphia Rabbi Arthur Waskow’s words, in a Huffington Post op-ed piece, sent Catholic League President Bill Donohue apeshit. He immediately fired off an email to the rabbi, warning him that:

Jews had better not make enemies of their Catholic friends since they have so few of them.

Dononue added:

When is it the business of any religious leader to condemn the strictures of another religion? You are not only clueless about the situation concerning nuns, you have stuck your nose in where you don’t belong.

Donohue must surely have realised that any reference to noses and Jews is blatantly racist, and would not go down well. And it didn’t: Waskow retorted:

Would you also suggest I keep my long Jewish nose out of some Catholic priests’ rape of Catholic children and some Catholic bishops’ protection of those priests from the law, because I’m not a Catholic? Perhaps you would.

Ouch!

Donahue responded:

Since you are interested in the subject of rape, I hope you are following the unbelievable explosion of child rape in the Orthodox Jewish community and the intimidation – by family members – of victims. The pressure put on the DA to deep six these rapes is sickening. You need to do something about this epidemic right now. Suggestion: follow the reforms of the Catholic Church and you won’t have these problems.

Donohue claimed that, in saying “Jews had better not make enemies of their Catholic friends since they have so few of them”, he was echoing the words of Ed Koch, the former mayor of New York.

This outraged Koch, who denies ever using such a phrase:

My comments have always been about fostering good feelings between Jews and Catholics toward mutual understanding of our shared interests. However, I certainly do not believe that Jews, or Catholics, should be threatened for making critical remarks, nor should my name be used when doing so. While I do have a high regard for Bill, his references to me and my remarks were inappropriate and different in substance and tone than what I said on an earlier occasion. My remarks did not and do not refer to the Rabbi’s comments.

In an interview with BuzzFeed, Donohue described Waskow as:

A man full of hate.

And he labelled Waskow’s op-ed:

The kind of thing I’d expect from Bill Maher, not from a rabbi. Who the hell is he? I don’t tell Jews what to do when they have people who are miscreants in their community.

And on the Catholic League’s website, under the heading Rabbi Waskow’s Catholic Problem, Donohue wrote:

My comment about Ed Koch saying Jews should not make enemies with their Catholic friends was a summation of Mayor Koch’s statement made in January before a Jewish audience [click here]: ‘We’re 13 million Jews in the whole world – less than one-tenth of 1 percent. And we need allies. The best ally we can have is the Catholic Church.” On January 30, I publicly commended him for his remark [click here], adding, ‘The Catholic League is proud to stand with the Jewish community in this time of unrelenting attacks on both Catholics and Jews.’ I also said that Ed Koch was ‘one of the greatest friends that Catholics have ever had.’

In his attack on the US Conference of Catholic Bishops, Waskow wrote:

I vigorously object to this attempt to deny millions of women – Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Wiccan, atheist – their own religious freedom to make choices informed by their own consciences about the most central issues of their lives.

Indeed, the USCCB has failed to persuade even Catholic women – let alone any others — that contraception is a sin. Between 96 percent and 98 percent of Catholic women use ‘artificial’ contraception. Among other American women, the rate is 99 percent.

Having failed to convince their own ‘flock’ – who are clearly not mere sheep to be led to the slaughter of their consciences – the bishops now are trying to use governmental power to force women (not only Catholics) to obey their edicts.

Hat tip: Agent Cormac

34 Responses to “Sexual abuse: Deal with it the way we do, Catholic zealot advises Jewish leader. Seriously!”

1. stargraves says:

People with glass minds shouldn’t butt heads!

They follow mutually exclusive and totally fragile extremist political ideologies based on the same primitive and unprovable magic lies.

While it’s funny watching wackos bicker; it’s the rape victims getting justice that concern me most,and these sociopathic abusers getting put away for life – no matter what type of silly hat and dress they wear for their fictional abrahamic sky-despot.

Religiots can’t dwindle in numbers fast enough for me.

2. Daz says:

And here was me thinking Bill was paid to protect the RCC from looking bad. When your goalkeeper is the one scoring the own-goals, it’s time to think about a new goalie. Or actually improving how you play elsewhere so you don’t need a goalie.

(Yes, I realise that metaphor got a little stretched out of shape…)

What a lovely man Bill Donohue is!

4. tony e says:

If it comes to fisticuffs I’ll wager £10 on Waskow to kick Donohue’s ass.

5. Alistair says:

If this sort of bust-up happened here, our craven Government would immediately make millions more available for ‘interfaith’ initiatives!

6. David McNerney says:

Brothers! Brother! We should be struggling together.

We are… oh

We mustn’t fight each other, surely we should be united against the common enemy

The Judean People’s Front!!

No, the atheists…

Oh yeah, yeah, the atheists, yeah

7. Lazy Susan says:

Dononue added: “When is it the business of any religious leader to condemn the strictures of another religion?”

Quite so. Religious leaders should understand better than anyone that religion cannot survive informed criticism, and that criticising religions is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Wonderful and very funny spat this. Utterly vacuous, of course, and devoid of anything on Donohue’s part that might be regarded as the product of a functioning intelligence. Shouldn’t be too long before militant/aggressive atheists get hauled into this.

9. Matt Westwood says:

no matter what type of silly hat and dress they wear for their fictional abrahamic sky-despot./

What beautiful writing.

Wonder how long it will take for the third of the holey trinity of Abrahamitics to get in on the argument?

10. Matt Westwood says:

… you have stuck your nose in where you don’t belong.

My immediate thought was, considering the nature of what was being discussed: “Now inhale … aah, the sweet smell of my love …”

So much for their united front against “militant secularism”!

12. David Anderson says:

David McNerney;

I’m sure that’s The People’s Front of Judea.

Whenever I hear Donohue mentioned, I awlay think of enemas and matchboxes thank to Hitch.

13. Parth says:

This is why people hate religion

@barriejohn: I see in the comments on your link that some think Donohue was far too mild. These Hollywood secular Jews make the money to support the rest in their nefarious work. For the followers of gentle Jesus it is vicious, hateful and cruel. They love the idea, it seems, of Jews going to hell. Atheists still on the sidelines here. But enjoying the spat.

David Anderson

The People’s Front of Judea? Splitters!

16. JohnMWhite says:

The best ally Jews can have is the Catholic Church? That’s true, but I am not shocked to note that the implication seems to sail right over Donohue’s slick head. What happened when Jews weren’t allied with the Catholic Church? Twice?

Donohue is monstrously stupid. He seems amazingly lacking in self-awareness and is nothing more than an Internet troll out of his time and place. If he were a young person today his ramblings would be ignored as the inane babble of a youtube commentor, but for some reason he has garnered enough respect for himself to be a spokesperson for the Catholic Church, the go-to guy for the craven and lazy media whenever they want to find that something offended Catholics. As ever, the Catholic Church demonstrates its approach to public relations is to find the most loathesome asshole they can find to try to express why it’s perfectly ok for them to be loathesome assholes.

17. Marc Weeks says:

I’ve seen this Catholic (Bowling?) League President Donohue time and again on YouTube and he consistently ignores points made by opposing speakers. The point the rabbi was making was not which religion featured the most rapists, but whether anyone outside of a particular religion is allowed to question actions committed by devotees of that religion. Donohue, who smiles only at the thought of being able to literally fight someone, seems like the least Christian-like person around.

Broga et al: I was unable to find any evidence whatsoever of official Catholic antipathy towards “God’s chosen people”. Except this…

19. Stonyground says:

@David A
    David Mc was correct. The two groups fighting in the sewers were the People’s Front of Judea and the Campaign to Free Galilee. When Brian suggested that they should be united against the common enemy, the first enemy that came into their heads was the Judean People’s Front. Easy to get confused, Stan/Loretta got them mixed up.

As for Donohue, what else can you do but laugh at him? He really is an industrial strength idiot. He started on the Jews about mishandling cases of child abuse. There wasn’t a single intelligent spark in his brain that said, opps, you’re a Catholic so best not go there, he just blundered on and said it.

Interestingly, New York Times columnist Bill Keller has written that, “…when he took charge of the Catholic League in 1993, Donohue could be dismissed as a conservative blowhard, one of those laymen who was, ahem, more Catholic than the pope. [His divorce notwithstanding -- Lex.] But the official church has moved far enough to the right that Donohue now speaks for its mainstream.”

Well, what else should we expect with a Nazi at the helm? Hopefully this observation is another indication that the RCC is in hapless retreat. Regardless, whoever Donohue speaks for he really can’t open his fat, puerile mouth without vast amounts of utter shite gushing out.

21. charlie says:

And it all devolves into a shouting match. All sides claim; “My god is better than you god.” Yes folks, it is the battle of the sky varies, which god will win out?
    Rational people sit back and enjoy the show. They do tend to sound like small children fighting in the sandbox over the toys.

22. Daz says:

Thanks, Charlie!

Clicky-linky

(Any excuse.)

23. Matt Westwood says:

Oh jesus fucking shit christ on a fuck-machine for two, does this mean that Donohue is no longer right-wing enough to be the right-wing nutter that everyone can safely ignore? Does this mean they’re going to have to find an even righter-wing nutcase to take his place and drag the remnants of the shitheaded noncompos even further into the realms of horrific extremism?

All the more ironic that JC himself expressed views which were considerably left of centre (which is why I admired him so much when I was a youngster).

24. Matt Westwood says:

@Daz: And the ultimate in irony: thAT Anti-Nowhere League vid comes complete with an advert for American Express which you can’t skip. (So what so what you boring little cunt?) And for added irony, my captcha for this post was 2345 (one better than “1-2-3-4!”)

@barriejohn: Thanks, as always. I guess that will be enough to be going on with. I’m currently reading “Hitler’s Pope” by John Cornwell and this has some interesting comments on Pius X11 with his buddy Hitler and the Jews. I think they are lining Pius X11 up for sainthood.

Broga: I have several of this man’s books. I bought them when I was a Christian – hahahahaha!!!

27. Robster says:

Remember Franklin Mint? If they were to be resurrected, perhaps thay could put out a limited edition of individually hand painted, plastic set of famous catholics, including various popes, pedophiles, overdressed bishops/archbish/cardinal et al and ol’ Bill (they may want to include the dead magic jew nailed on a lower case “t” figure as a bonus, they all love that). If franklin Mint were very clever, they could be designed to explode whenever something rational was said nearby, of if an atheist walks into the room. Exploding catholic heads going off! What a thought.

28. Matt Westwood says:

@Robster: That sounds a little pointless. (*BANG!*) oops …

29. Trevor Blake says:

We have a phrase for this in the USA: “Let’s you and him fight!”

The more religious leaders tear into each other (with words only, please), he happier a man I become. Go on, do my job for me! Make yourselves look bad and drive your followers away. If your volleys are true, all the better.

30. Ex Patriot says:

Maybe the two of them should do pistols at 30 paces. I read this and I am proud to have been an Athiest for the last 40 years or so

31. Marky Mark says:

Quote:
    Key founders such as James Madison and Thomas Jefferson opposed mixing church and state. They would never have supported an officially Christian nation. Jefferson and Madison came to this opposition in two ways. First, they were well-versed in history and understood how the officially Christian governments of Europe had crushed human freedom. Moreover, they knew about the constant religious wars among rival factions of Christianity.

32. [...] he has a fresh new slur to add to his Anti-Semitic highlight reel. According to The Freethinker: Philadelphia Rabbi Arthur Waskow’s words, in a Huffington Post op-ed piece, sent Catholic League [...]