Clerical abuse: Vile Eastbourne evangelist urged victim to zip her lip

Clerical abuse: Vile Eastbourne evangelist urged victim to zip her lip

IAN Jackson, a Christian preacher from Eastbourne in East Sussex, describes himself on an evangelical website called Life Eternal as:

A respected and able teacher of God’s Word, and has a particular gift in ministering to young adults.

He’s also a thoroughly obnoxious specimen who urged a victim of sexual abuse not to report the man responsible to the police because of the damage it would do to the church.

Ian Jackson told Lina Barnes he would not support her if she reported that fellow Gospel Hall Brethren preacher Allan Cundick assaulted her when she was 12.

According to the BBC:

He was only concerned for her progress.

Last year, Barnes, 33, told Jackson she planned to report Cundick to the police. But the Christian crackpot was only  interested in protecting the church.

In an email response, Jackson told her:

I am not prepared to give you any support in relation to the involvement of the police and court proceedings.  I think it is a wrong decision that you have made.

He added:

There is a better way. ‘Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.’

Christian pervert Allan Cundick

Barnes said:

In his email, he said to me it was important that Christians keep the testimony of the Church and therefore protect the institution.

Jackson said in the email:

In a day when every opportunity is being taken by the enemies of the gospel to deride it, it would in my view be very regrettable for dirty linen to be in the public arena.  I urge you to have regard to testimony.

Barnes added:

I’d confided a lot in Ian Jackson about what I had suffered and here was this man now telling me that I just had to be merciful to my abuser, not to involve the police, and it just caused a lot of hurt, a lot of heartache.

Cundick, from the Woking area of Surrey, received a police caution in June 2011 and was placed on the sex offenders register for two years. Surrey Police confirmed a 75-year-old man received a police caution last year following an investigation into a report of an indecent assault which happened in the Woking area in the 1990s.

A statement from the force said the man was also required to register as a sex offender and was disqualified from working with children.

It added:

Allegations made against any individuals will be investigated thoroughly, whether they are current or historic, and we encourage anyone who has concerns about potential sexual abuse to contact us.

Hat tip: Martyn Hughes and BarrieJohn

61 responses to “Clerical abuse: Vile Eastbourne evangelist urged victim to zip her lip”

1. petew004 says:

as an aside, regarding this report I think you’ll find that on Life Eternal, jackson is not describing himself as A respected and able teacher of God’s Word, and has a particular gift in ministering to young adults but rather this is a description given by someone else

2. remigius says:

SimonC. Slander only applies to spoken words or gestures. As petew004 has put his claims in writing, and published them on the internet, he is committing the more serious tort of libel. Ho hum.

3. SimonC says:

@petew004

You’d better get to bed soon, the breaking of bread is at 10.30 tomorrow at Marine Hall.

4. petew004 says:

@SimonC haha funny. I’ll give you that 🙂

I would give the BBC more credit and take their reports at face value if they didn’t deliberately play down (what they accuse Ian Jackson of doing) islamic paedophile rings all over britain because of their marxist politically correct agenda.

Simon: Hilarious!

Pete: You are hopelessly confused, and that statement doesn’t even merit a response!!

6. David Anderson says:

Funniest thing I’ve read in ages, “marxist BBC”.

“Marxist BBC” Well the Beeb is rather biased a bit too far to the left. I suspect petew04 is miffed that one religion – the religion of perpetual outrage – is given an easier ride than others. However, the BBC has an obsequious and fawning attitude to religion and give the godbots far to much air time: Songs of praise [BBC1}, Thought for the Day [Radio 4], Pause for Thought [Radio 2], Daily Service [BBC Radio 4 LW]…continues ad nauseum.

8. Matt Westwood says:

@petew004: “… if they didn’t deliberately play down (what they accuse Ian Jackson of doing) islamic paedophile rings all over britain …”

That virtually amounts to what I can see is a “tu quoque” argument: “Because people I don’t like (because of my own personal partisanship) are doing bad things it’s wrong to point out the fact that the people I *do* like are doing bad things.”

Muslim sex-crime rings have been the subject of searching questions in the last few months, particularly in the West Midlands, and the BBC themselves raised many of these questions. I was listening.

And, as has been pointed out, the issue we have here is not so much that Cundick was a kiddie-fiddler, but more that a trusted member of the church hierarchy was working on his behalf and against the victim, with specious arguments along the lines of: “If you do go ahead and attempt to get this guy convicted in a court of law, you’ll have no help from me, and the court process is vicious towards silly girls who tell tales on members of the establishment.”

For that, the man (and any apologists for him) deserve to get extreme violence performed against them. Be warned: if I ever meet you, you’ll be lucky to escape with your life.

9. Ezza says:

hmmm… ignoring the obvious knee jerk reaction to those who read articles and jump to conclusions a bit too quickly, it is quite interesting that in the BBC article it states:

“Surrey Police confirmed a 75-year-old man received a police caution last year following an investigation into a report of an indecent assault which happened in the Woking area in the 1990s.”

Note the assault is in the singular…

But in the Eastbourne Paper (someone gave a link above) this woman said to this Eastbourne reporter:

“Lina did eventually go to the police about Allan Cundick who abused her between the age of 10 and 13 and he was arrested in June 2011, given a police caution and placed on the sex offenders register for two years.”

It now appears that the assault lasted three years. Something is not quite right with this story.

Also, the abuser got a ‘police caution’, so let’s face it, it could not have been a particularly serious attack (according to the Home Office, a police caution is a formal warning given to adults who admit they are guilty of first-time minor offences), but maybe the 20 years that passed before Lina spoke to Mr Jackson then contacted the police has something to do with the eventual slap on the wrist he received.

“Trust me, Wilbur. People are very gullible. They’ll believe anything they see in print.”
    ? E.B. White, Charlotte’s Web

10. petew004 says:

@Ezza

Exactly. And atheist based forums tend to produce such knee jerk reactions with emotive words such as “vile”, “obnoxious” and threats to kill commenters (Matt Westwood). Sorry Matt, I have had attempts on my life in the past and have a tidy collection of human skulls in my cellar as proof of my self-defence capabilities…

I have never said I support Jackson or Cundick. The only thing I have admitted to is loathing the BBC, and with good reason.

Reacquaint yourself with the true meaning of marxism and apply this to cultural marxism… this is what the BBC is all about.

11. Marky Mark says:

Petew004 said:
    (Sorry Matt, I have had attempts on my life in the past and have a tidy collection of human skulls in my cellar as proof of my self-defence capabilities…)

Should we call the police, or is this a metaphor ?