Catholic Bishop threatens Democrat supporters with damnation

A CATHOLIC bishop in Illinois has given a clean bill of health to the Republican Party, but has slammed the Democrats for social policies that are:

Intrinsically evil and gravely sinful.

Bishop Thomas Paprocki

Bishop Thomas Paprocki, of Springfield, said that Catholics need to “think and pray very carefully” about their votes in the upcoming election.

Writing for the Catholic Times diocesan paper, he added:

I would be abdicating this duty if I remained silent out of fear of sounding ‘political’ and didn’t say anything about the morality of these issues.

He threatened voters with damnation for supporting candidates who promote actions or behaviours that are “intrinsically evil and gravely sinful”. Such support makes a voter “morally complicit” and places the eternal salvation of his or her soul in “serious jeopardy”.

While acknowledging that there are “many positive and beneficial planks” in the Democratic Party platform, some, he said, promote “serious sins” such as supporting gay marriage, and equating gay rights with human rights.

The Republicans party platform, on the other hand, has:

Nothing in it that supports or promotes an intrinsic evil or a serious sin.

Furthermore, the platform’s support of judicial murder – allowing courts the option of imposing the death penalty in capital murder cases – is in perfect accord with the Church’s ideology. He cited the Catechism of the Catholic Church’s teaching that the death penalty is permissible if it is the only possible way to defend human life.

He concluded his column with a prayer that God give Catholic voters:

The wisdom and guidance to make the morally right choices.

23 Responses to “Catholic Bishop threatens Democrat supporters with damnation”

1. Gindy53 says:

JFK and RFK are spinning in their graves.

I don’t suppose he had any views on the infestation of the Roman Catholic Church by paedophile priests. Or that the Republican bid for the Presidency is headed by Mormon Romney, a sly tax dodger millionaire who regards 47% of Americans as scrounging layabouts and whose religious beliefs are beyond weird.

“…he Catholic Church’s teaching that the death penalty is permissible if it is the only possible way to defend human life”.

Lovely statement that, it sums up religious stupidity nicely.

I see that he’s from Springfield – hahaha!!!

Bishop Thomas Paprocki = Prick’s past homophobia

5. Ray says:

“Intrinsically evil and gravely sinful.”

Right back at you, you ponse

Ray: Those words sound to me as if they’ve come straight from Rome!

7. mikespeir says:

How appropriate his name is Poppycock!

Close enough.

8. JohnMWhite says:

The Catholic Catechism changed its stance on the death penalty, I believe under JPII, to an extremely strict and narrow set of criteria where you’d basically have to be living in a Mad Max world with no way to contain violent murderers. That is nothing like the Republican plank that the death penalty is fine for mentally retarded children who accidentally beat someone to death because they don’t know their own strength, or people who kill defending themselves and happen to have the wrong colour of skin. Not to mention how tremendously unsafe many convictions are, but prosecutors get away with it because they want to get re-elected (what sort of system is that?!) and the defendants don’t get good lawyers.

Meanwhile the idea that the Republican party platform contains nothing in it that is evil by the measure of the Catholic church demonstrates what an evil, vile organisation it is. It’s also not true – repealing health care reform so that millions lose their insurance and potentially their lives actually goes against Catholic teaching that everyone is entitled to basic health care. They have said this many times, and while they obviously don’t include contraception, the past two Popes have spoken out about how it is a country’s duty to make sure its citizens don’t just drop dead because they couldn’t see a doctor. Cutting taxes on the rich and raising them on the poor and middle class also goes against Catholic social teaching, and completely urinates on some of Jesus’ bigger speeches in the gospels. But never let facts get in the way of a chance to kick gay people in the teeth.

That’s what I find so deeply unsettling about the Catholic church – they will blatantly ignore their own social teaching and their own deity’s instructions, they will switch off their consciences (if they have any) and invert reality, if it provides them the opportunity to hurt gay people. That’s their number one priority, and that is disturbing.

9. Ian says:

Self

Inflicted

Nonsense

10. tony e says:

Is it me, or when these twats threaten everyone with damnation, they appear more and more desperste?

11. remigius says:

A Catholic bigot soliciting votes for a Mormon arsehole; how very ecumenical.

12. remigius says:

And for those sensible people who can’t be arsed to trawl through all 160, here’s a summary…

Dawkins said God doesn’t exist, but He does. So he’s wrong.

Dawkins said he would change his mind on evolution if rabbits were found in the Precambrian. But I think he wouldn’t. So he’s wrong.

And so on.

13. remigius says:

Bollocks. That should have been posted on’t the Jesus’s Missus thread.

Barry. Edit button. Now!

remigus: I’ve replied to you on Mrs Jesus thread.

15. Trevor Blake says:

Reported to ‘Americans United’ (au.org).

16. Matt Westwood says:

Telling people they’re going to go to hell. That’s hate speech. That’s illegal, that is.

What really fucks me off is these cunts who claim to speak for god. They’re utter shitheads. Drowm them in spaghetti bolognese, that’s what I say.

17. remigius says:

Drowm them in spaghetti bolognese, that’s what I say.

BLASPHEMER!

How dare you seek to pollute The Sacred Sauce with such a polluting thing!

“My job is not to tell you for whom you should vote. But I do have a duty to speak out on moral issues.”
    Actually, no, Bishop Thomas Paprocki. Based on your church’s appalling record on moral issues you have absolutely no right whatsoever to lecture or advise anybody on anything to do with morality. Indeed, you should be hanging your loathsome head in shame and begging forgiveness for all the despicable acts that your church has perpetrated on its so-called flock, rather than giving any further advice on how those people under your control should act, think or vote.

Your church is a sham – a ludicrously transparent front for the dissemination of lies, the imposition of totalitarianism and the abuse of human intelligence. Your questionable and, frankly, laughable views on US politics are guided by your flawed faith and by your masters’ desire to hang onto the privileges and influence which, over the centuries, their church has amassed and jealously guards.

You are a hateful and asinine little man who should just shut the fuck up, keep his unwanted nose well out of politics and concentrate on ensuring that those pews just keep getting emptier and emptier.

Ahhhh – that feels so much better!

19. Marky Mark says:

Blake said:
    (Reported to ‘Americans United’ (au.org).)

I’m pretty sure it was this guy I read about in the “Americans United” newsletter I receive. If so, they are taking action.

And AgentCormac…well said !

20. Equality Jack says:

Time to crack down on the RCC and make them pay full taxes on everything.
    I would threaten him back, but that’s illegal.
    But it’s okay if he does it? Time to crack down on this illegal behavior.
    Really, when will it stop?
    They keep committing crimes and all those Catholic prosecutors and detectives and whatnot all turn from doing their duty.
    Time to crack down on them, too.

Where is my justice? My equal rights? Oh, I’m poor. Nevermind.

21. Robster says:

Does one need to toss away their brain to be made into a thing called a “bishop”. Everything I’ve read about these bishop thingies makes one consider these bishops to be total twits. Even sillier when they’re the catlik flavour.

22. DrD says:

This is only supports my decision the Catholic Church. I wonder if this bishop and other officials of the Catholic Church were so concerned about the souls of the pedophile priests and those that sheltered them?

The church hierarchy lost their credibility on moral issues when they protected pedophile priests and their superiors from civil law. They haven’t even begun to win that trust back.

I am from the Springfield Dioceses and it is in the middle of their annual fund raising program. I think all Catholics who want their church to remain out of politics should seriously consider not supporting fund. Money seems the only way you can hurt these people.