RUSSIA, increasingly sinking into a mire of religious fervour, is apparently contemplating a new law that would carry a three-year jail sentence for anyone insulting any of the four recognised religions in the country: Russian orthodoxy, Islam, Judaism, and Buddhism.

According to this Persecution Blog report, if such a law is enforced, life will be made intolerable for evangelical Christians.

Russian Ministries Facebook page carries news that it is engaged in a programme aimed at foisting Bibles on children

Wally Kulakoff, a representative of Russian Ministries in Moscow, said that, because the Duma has openly proclaimed that there are only four traditional religions in Russia, Protestants are left out in the cold.

Kulakoff pointed out that evangelical Christians insult many when they say God had a son.

Kulakoff added:

Non-traditional religion in Russia with be chastised, prohibited, [and] will have to go underground. There will be no room for the Protestant church.

Russian Ministries School is training next-generation church leaders – young people who are already leaders in their community. If this law is passed and it’s interpreted harshly, Kulakoff says:

Then Russian Ministries’ School Without Walls goes underground and will continue to have an impact, but in another form. Rather than [operating] openly, it’ll be more excluded and secluded.

Kulakoff warned that the proposed law could have far-reaching impact, saying that the greatest insult to the Orthodox Church is to have a Bible translation that they didn’t authorise.

That means Russia will say you can only use one Bible …  the more modern, the more contemporary translations will be illegal.

23 responses to “Evangelicals, excluded from proposed Russian religious hatred law, voice displeasure”

1. Stonyground says:

To me there is something quite infantile about all this. It all seem to remind me of the politics of the playground. What the religiots need to do more than anything is to grow up.

The Bishop of Norwich came out against supporters of blasphemy laws on TftD this morning. There is a discussion going on at Peter Hearty’s PotD blog, it is most unusual for the flock there to be in full agreement with a TftD speaker. Daz has also written a poem about it which I copied over to the PotD thread as I thought it was quite good.

2. JohnMWhite says:

“He became the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Islam says that they have a god who does not have a son, and anyone who claims God had a son has no right to live on this earth. Now, who is insulting who?”

You’re both insulting me because you’re both being mind-numbingly stupid, self-centred and you both like to tell me endlessly that I’m going to burn forever. Here’s the thing: I’m not stopping you. I’m only going to point out the hypocrisy of stating your theological position as a fact and then complaining that because “Islam claims” something that offends you somehow. They really do need to learn to grow up and learn to accept that other people think different things. They are monstrously childish and stupid.

They are not being ‘childish’ because as a child we never paid any real attention to such silliness and did not really know anything about it. And they are not being stupid either…they are delusional and dogmatic both being definitionally(new word) far worse then just plain stupid.
    I find it amusing how a dogmatic bunch of delusional people can swing so wildly from a dogmatic totalitarian dictatorship to a dogmatic theocratic dictatorship. They are so ignorant that what they did not learn from one they can now apply to another.
    The only group over there doing well are the crooks. But then again, that is the only group doing really well here (USA) too.

4. Trevor Blake says:

“[Jesus said:] But the children of the kingdom [the Jews] shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” – Matthew 8:12

“[Jesus said: ]Ye [the Jews] are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.” – John 8:44

When laws are enacted to prevent cruel statements about religions, religious statements about other religions are always excluded. Always.

5. David McNerney says:

“Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword” – Matthew 26:52

A secular society doesn’t look so bad now, sympathetic I am not.

6. Stonyground says:

Why does JC try to paint Satan as a liar when, according to the OT, he always told the truth? Why does JC claim that God is perfect when, according to the OT, he never told the truth, murdered babies and was bad tempered and very stupid? Presumably, just like those who built a religion upon his confused witterings, he never actually bothered to read the scriptures.

7. allismyth says:

History will repeat itself. Where Religion’s guiding light will be a flaming torch. This group remind me of Jackals, small opportunistic predators who devour anything alive or dead they may hunt in packs for a short time but are so ill-tempered that they will soon turn upon themselves. They are the only animal Lions will kill on sight but will not eat(unless they are starving). I hope the world never gets that hungry. Religion is dead these jackal are just rattling the bones trying to scare the lions but when they turn around the only thing left will be worm food. JFK.Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

8. Matt Westwood says:

The thing to do under such circumstances is for all who disagree with such blasphemy laws (that might be technically a minority in Russia) to break it with glee and gusto at all opportunities.

9. JohnMWhite says:

@ L.Long – I have to disagree. Children do pay attention to such things if they are made to, and having their parents and teachers constantly telling them scary stories about hellfire and eternal punishments from god and manipulating their imaginations to believe that they will cause god tremendous pain and anguish by disobeying one of his entirely arbitrary rules can really stick in an earnest child’s head. Children also tend to have difficulty understanding that other people have alternative points of view, and psychologically believe for a considerable time that if they aren’t aware of something or don’t believe something, that makes it untrue universally. This is the hallmark of religion and the characters in the OP display this lack of empathy in spades.

10. Graham Martin-Royle says:

@L.Long: I have to agree with JohnMWhite, I have friends who are still fucked up today because of the stories they were told while children. Putting these stories into childish minds while they are still at an age that they believe they are true and telling them that they are true is a form of abuse and should be stopped.

11. RabbitOnAStick says:

I also agree on the child brainwashing etc. Children do believe adults when told this tripe.

I recall at primary school being taught some fantasy stories. One or two stick in my mind, certainly the five fishes and bread nonsense, and the one where water came out of a rock where there was no water, it just gushed out. And i recall thinking (for these magical stories) how does that happen. I thought this jesus bloke must be as good as Sooty, because Sooty could do magic.

The best one though is we were taught that god is a white man with a white beard sat in a chair in the clouds. He never was black, Asian or gay. [Gay didn’t exist then except in a happy context].

Is it just me, or is the world getting more insane each and every day?

13. tony e says:

According to the OT, God killed approx 2.6 million people and Satan approx 10. Old Scratch does not look too bad in hindsight.

14. Brummie says:

@L.Long. Aged 9, being brought up an RC, I used to walk to school past a local Art College. Through the ground floor windows one could see exhibitions of the students work which often included life drawings. I was tempted to look, but knew that my soul would be blackened and I would be in a state of mortal sin until I confessed this to a priest the following Saturday. Meanwhile eternal hellfire awaited me if I was knocked over by a bus. Sometimes I had the self-discipline to walk past 100 yards away. Other times I succumbed to “impure thoughts and actions”, aged 9….

15. RabbitOnAStick says:

This is from a white South African friend of mine.

He was taught at a boys only primary school equivalent. In their religious classes they were taught that in the beginning there was a pool of very clean water, and all the animals etc that were created were dirty and god told them all to come and wash.

Man came and washed and he became white. However, the black man was a lazy good for nothing useless ‘thing’ [not even a man] and was so lazy he couldn’t be bothered to come and wash. When he eventually did arrive at the pool there was no water left save for the black man to put the soles of his feet and palms of his hands. Which he did. Then the water was gone.

The religious lessons stated this came from the bible and that this was true. That why was whites were superior and blacks could be treated the way they were in SA, and why black people only have ‘white’ soles to their feet and the palms of their hands.

16. Stuart H. says:

Oh dear, Christian Mission to the Comunist World -or as they prefer to be known these days ‘Release International’ – still up to their old stunts.
    There’s a variant of this scare story running round a few East European countries at present. In each case, similar scenario, similar misdirection.
    The real situation is that Yank evangelicals have been subsidising their falling home market by recruiting elsewhere since the early 1990’s, and claiming religious exemptions to earnings from commercial operations in those countries until now, when the laws are being tightened up. The laws don’t prevent churches being run, just limit the ones who can claim charitable status or be included on the rota for state handouts, which puts the Batshits on the same level as, say, flakey New Age therapy outfits. It’s a potentially huge market – almost as big as China – they’ve been cut out, they’re not happy. Expect Release International or one of their puppets to launch a fundraising drive for ‘persecuted Christians’ soon, whose takings will not leave the US or be taxed there either.

17. Marky Mark says:

Russian orthodoxy, Islam, Judaism, and Buddhism…

Soooo, if there is one god, why so many versions? I guess they don’t get it, since once brainwashed only your cult is right.

That quote from JFK by allismyth is good logic.

18. Marky Mark says:

Stuart H said:
    (The real situation is that Yank evangelicals have been subsidising their falling home market by recruiting elsewhere since the early 1990?s,)

Like our prison system by giving prisoners who convert special privileges, including help with early release. And they use federal grants to run their programs there.
    I say it started before the 1990…more like the 80’s with the War on Drugs and stiffer sentencing for non-violent offences. Something many Christian Politicians pushed for.

Lock um up and convert them here in the Theocratic States of America.

And it get much worse, I been following a case called, The West Memphis Three (WM3) down in Arkansas. A backward bible belt community just above the snake handler religious type. Turns out the Christians could not figure out who killed 3 little boys so they went after 3 teenage boys who were not your church going type…said they practiced Satanic Worship because they liked heavy metal bands, and must have killed the boys. So they framed them and sent them up for life, one to be executed. Luckily, a HBO film crew was covering the case and the word got out that there was a Witch-Hunt going on down there. When the experts became involved they said…U dumb shits, an adult did this crime and was most likely someone the victims knew…like one of their bible thumping, Christian, stepfathers.
    It is an interesting case and I encourage all freethinkers to read about it or watch the HBO Documentary’s “Paradise Lost” series.

Just so U know whom we are up against.
    They will kill you if you do not believe in their religion in some places here in the USA.

To all who addressed my earlier post….
    Despite being an alter boy in the RCC, I guess I was not only odd but a atheist at an early age without knowing it. Cuz I and the kids I played with never cared about this stuff. So going by your stories I will change my view that they are being childish if the children are being raised and brainwashed into women hating-stranger hating-hell fearing holier than thou’s.

L.Long: People are different. I really envy the contributors to this site (and you are not the only one) who have stated that they saw through the religious nonsense straight away as children! I was brought up in a CofE household where only my grandmother, with whom we lived, was an ardent churchgoer (although I have other relatives who are very religious). However, my very old-fashioned father – although an atheist really (beat that!) – determined to be the “perfect parent”: wouldn’t allow me to play outside on Sundays: religiously sent me to Sunday School and church feasts like Harvest Festival (with the biggest basket of fruit and veg on display); and constantly lectured me on what a great book the Bible was. I just assumed that everyone thought the same way, that everything that I was taught was true (children naturally accept the authority of adults, whatever comics may show to the contrary – it’s built into our brains), and accepted the Bible stories as factual acconts. This meant that when my dad’s friend and my chemistry teacher managed to get me into the clutches of their beloved “Plymouth Brethren” (the “answer to many prayers” I now know!) I was easy prey. They spoke with authority and I lapped it up. Like that poor creature Ken, who is presently making such a fool of himself on this site, I accepted that every word of the Bible was divinely inspired, and that it was totally infallible and error free in every respect. This, for me, was the start of a long downhill journey – just when I should have been expanding my mind and opening it up to all the possibilites around me. To cut a long story short, sfter years of mental turmoil, suffering from anxiety and depression, I eventually had a “nervous breakdown”, which was – as I believe it always is – a blessing in disguise, as it meant that, with the help of therapists, I had finally to face facts and find a way out of the nightmare fantasy in which I existed. That is my experience, and that of many others, either brought up in “Christian homes” or brought under the influence of religious dogma (ie brainwashed). The religiots know that once in their hands, most children can be moulded and regimented. The Bible says “Bring up a child in the way he shall go and when he is old he shall not depart from it”, and others have said “Give me a child till the age of seven and I will give you the man”. These words are their mantra, and everything possible needs to be done to shelter young minds from their poison!

21. Equality Jack says:

I, too, envy those who saw through the lies at an early age.
    In my case, I tried to be easy-going about it all and so did not have any strong desire to ferret out the truth until I was much older.
    If only I had been raised free of any propaganda whatsoever!
    What sort of person would I be then? A much freer one.

22. ivan says:

It’s all very well making cheap jokes at the expense of evangelicals, but the reality is that this law is intended as an instrument of repression and should be opposed on that basis.

@ivan: Who is defending this legislation? Didn’t you read the very first comment? Most of us here are in favour of freedom of speech for ALL! I think for once we are in agreement with many of the relgiots, as Peter Tatchell points out here: