Anti-gay Texas brat was ‘persecuted’

Anti-gay Texas brat was ‘persecuted’

MEET Dakota Ary of Fort Worth, Texas. He’s just 14, and the latest pin-up boy for the anti-gay National Organization for Marriage, which has him starring in a video as a victim of anti-Christian persecution.

Ary got into hot water for spouting homophobic messages at his school in September 2011.

Ary and four boys were sitting in a German class, where the teacher kept a “word wall”, including clippings from German magazines. One of the articles from the magazine was about gay rights and featured a photo of two men kissing. Either Ary or one of his friends ripped the photo down from the wall.

When asked about it, Ary replied:

I’m Christian, and to me, being homosexual is wrong.

Ary said his remark upset his German teacher, who wrote him up and sent him to the principal’s office, where he was punished with four hours of in-school suspension.

The NOM video shows Ary moaning over the fact that his freedom of speech had been violated, and that he had been portrayed as a little Hitler. He says that the picture of two men kissing:

Is not appropriate to be in school. Maybe two guys holding hands or something [would be OK] but they were full-blown making out.

NOM’s video asks viewers to send messages of encouragement to Ary, and:

If God has given you the means to go that extra mile to help us get the word out about Dakota and the many more who are under attack please consider making a financial contribution.

Marvin Vann and members of a local group which strives to protect local LGBT students and teachers from harassment, met with the teacher and heard his side of the incident.  They concluded that teacher’s version of events, which Vann says had been substantiated by several students who witnessed the incident, has been found “entirely credible”.

13 responses to “Anti-gay Texas brat was ‘persecuted’”

Ary-Fairy is being represented by The Liberty Institute, who are strangely enough only interested in one type of liberty!

2. Eddie hernandez says:

This is Fort Worth, tx so no one should be surprised. Texas is full of ignorant homophobic and prejudiced bastards like this little prick because they start the hate brainwashing young in Texas, usually thru religious instruction. I definitely know because I live in this shithole and my kids clash with pricks like this all the time. The difference is my kids don’t keep quiet or put up with the bullshit!

I have only just twigged that the original incident took place over a year ago! Kristopher Franks was cleared of all allegations, though they were not, according to this report, related to the Ary episode:

4. JohnMWhite says:

Nice to see the OP examining both sides of the story – sometimes we can all be a bit quick to rush to judgement. I was thinking 4 hours of detention/suspension (‘in-school’ suspension? Teachers have got to stop making up oxymorons) seemed ridiculous for tearing a piece of paper off the wall. It’s douchey and blatantly homophobic but you can’t go around slapping lengthy punishments on teenagers because they tear up a piece of paper. If this was part of a sustained campaign of bigotry, though, the message has to be sent loud and clear that whatever opinions homophobes might have, their acting on those opinions to cause upset, stress, intimidation or harassment to others will not be tolerated.

As ever, the childish bullies at NOM are determined to enable this little fascist and pet him on his head and tell him what a good boy he is for hating the right people. This is what mainstream Christianity has boiled down to – fighting for the right to ostracise and bully homosexuals, women and atheists.

JMW: It’s the gays who are the REAL bullies!

Some of the comments appended to that video are hilarious.

6. Matt Westwood says:

“So kissing is “full-blown making out” is it? What a douche bag!”

Oh come on, give him a break, he’s only 14! He’s American, they don’t teach sex ed till at least 18 over there, he probably still thinks his dick is for producing coffee-whitener with.

4 hours detention is a little heavy. I’d have just got the local queer-basher-bashers to have a little talk with him after school, then he *would* have got something to cry about.

7. michael3ov says:

@JohnMWhite

I don’t care if it was a sustained campaign of bigotry or not. I know when I was in high school if I walked up to something the teacher put up as part of the learning environment and tore it down because I didn’t agree with it than that alone would be enough for detention or in school suspension. Which isn’t an oxymoron.

8. jay says:

There’s a number of issues here. If he was suspended for saying “I’m Christian, and to me, being homosexual is wrong.” then I do see that as a real free speech issue (sadly, free speech of all kinds is under assault in US schools and colleges). However ripping the article down is no longer free speech. The same principle exactly would apply to a gay person who ripped down an anti gay article.

“On the face of it, Ary’s suspension seems a little unjust, but, as always, there’s two sides to every tale, and according to this report, it was the teacher who had been the target of homophobia, having been harassed by Ary and his friends for months because they perceived him to be gay.”

THIS is, if correct, a big problem. The teacher has NO BUSINESS taking out his frustrations on a student, even if the student says something ignorant. He’s an ADULT IN AUTHORITY, he needs to behave as one.

9. Matt Westwood says:

“He’s an ADULT IN AUTHORITY, he needs to behave as one.” But he did, by imposing his authority on the self-righteous bigoted shithead and put him in detention. Unfortunately it gave him the opportunity to play the martyr card.

I don’t know why people are arguing here. @michael3ov has summed things up perfectly:

Case closed!