Drunk driving teen guilty of manslaughter is sentenced to ten years … in church

Tyler Alred and Baptist Judge Norman

AFTER ordering Tyler Alred, 17, to attend church for ten years after convicting him this week of first-degree manslaughter , Oklahoma District Court Judge Mike Norman, 69, told ABC News:

The Lord works in many ways. I’ve done a little bit of this kind of thing before, but never on such a serious charge.

Crazy? Yes. Illegal? Very possibly. But lenient NO!

One person commenting here on the sentence said:

He has the same probability of getting raped in both places so I don’t see how this is a good deal for him.

Alred, 17, pleaded guilty to first-degree manslaughter in August for killing friend and passenger John Luke Dum in a car crash. Dum died on impact last December after Alred crashed his Chevrolet pickup truck. Alred was 16 at the time of the crash and had been drinking prior to the deadly accident.

The judge, a member of First Baptist Church, could have sent Alred to jail but, instead, taking into account his clean criminal and school records, sentenced him to wear a drug and alcohol bracelet, participate in counselling groups and attend a church of his choosing – weekly. He must also graduate from high school.

Nutty Norman, who has worked as a district Judge in Muskogee for 14 years, said that people who appear before him in future on such serious charges won’t automatically get a church sentence.

It’s not going to be automatic, I guarantee you.

He added:

There are a lot of people who say I can’t do what I did. They’re telling me I can’t legally sentence someone to church.

Alred’s defence lawyer Donn Baker is not among Norman’s critics.

I usually represent outlaws and criminals. This is a kid that made a mistake. I think he’s worth saving.

The judge also said:

I told my preacher I thought I led more people to Jesus than he had but, then again, more of my people have amnesia. They soon forget once they get out of jail. Only time will tell if we’ve saved Tyler Alred’s life.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn

14 Responses to “Drunk driving teen guilty of manslaughter is sentenced to ten years … in church”

1. RabbitOnAStick says:

the fact he is white and from a middle class family of course has nothing to do with it.

I continue to be grateful that I don’t live amognst these Christian dolts in the USA. I note that some clown comments that she thinks “God has a purpose for Tyler.” I wonder what God’s purpose was for the two passengers who were killed by this drunk driver.

I agree with ROAS. If Tyler had been black and from a poor family God would have had a different purpose by having him stuck in the slammer for ten years. I suppose this is God’s country and the product of all that God bless America crap. Or maybe this is just bizarre Oklahoman justice from a judge who is an off the wall Christian bigot.

3. remigius says:

Most of the comments on the site linked to in the post are supportive of the judge. Would they have been so supportive if the judge was a muslim, and had sentenced Alred to a mosque?

HAHAHAHAHAHahahahh!!! (for until I fall down from the pure BS idiot idea). This stupid judge (Yes stupid cuz he obviously never read the buyBull)says this drunk killer must be supervised by an organization that has a history of killing on a larger scale.
    I guess the judge thought he did not do a complete job of it and wants him to study how to do it on a larger scale.
    Unfortunately his chances of being butt raped are very low as the church is know to like their boys a lot younger.

5. Marky Mark says:

Like I have said many times about these Christians in our judicial system… “There is a confession booth in the back of the courthouse for the Christians, no matter what their crime…and a stake to burn the rest at out back.”

And this case is further proof of this.

Being young, stupid, and drunk is certainly worth consideration for leniency. But as others have said, if he were Black, Spanish, or Arabic…he would have been sent to prison.

We must consider that ten years of weekly church is a psychological torture we would not wish on anyone, and may lead him to other crimes…like blowing up abortion clinics.

6. Matt Westwood says:

The real WTF is allowing stupid children to drive cars. Yes I know you’re allowed to drive at 17 in the UK, but only after a stringent test after an intensive (and expensive) training course.

I understand that in the US all you need to do is turn up at the age of 15 and prove you can get the car to go and stop and also I believe that you can park it next to the kerb.

Look at it like this: abortion is (effectively) banned, they have to have some way to keep a curb on the population – so they hand out cars to reckless hormonal teenagers and guns at the school gates and play a gleeful game of “last one alive’s the winner”.

Works for me. Let this glorious tradition continue.

I sometimes get really pissed off by the quite clearly anti-American sentiment expressed on this blog. We in the UK have little to boast about when it comes to mad judges!

8. Steve says:

‘I sometimes get really pissed off by the quite clearly anti-American sentiment expressed on this blog’. Well, isn’t it more anti-bullshit than anti-American? It seems to me that North Americans do have a greater tendency than Brits to whole-heartedly espouse utterly crackpot religious ideas. Maybe that’s a racist generalisation, but I’ve not come across a British counterpart to Shirley Phelps-Roper, or Bryan Fischer, or Pat Buchanan, or…

Irony is wasted on the internet. Did you watch that video, Steve?

10. Graham Martin-Royle says:

So why church? Is he expected to learn some morals at church? What a laugh, morality from the church! With a clean record, no previous etc. yes, he should be given another chance. He’s got to live with the fact that his mistake cost the lives of two other people, sending him to prison (and I agree with previous posters that point out that if he hadn’t been white, that’s where he would have gone) wouldn’t help him or society. But church! A waste of his time and he’ll learn nothing of any use there.

11. James Parfit says:

I wonder if he has the option of ten years at mosque, temple or scientology centre?

He should certainly be kept well away from any of the Abrahamic religions. The Old Testament sets a very bad example:

2 Kings 9:20 And the watchman told, saying, He came even unto them, and cometh not again: and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously.

13. Steve says:

Barriejohn, no, sorry,I didn’t watch the video. But as it was 5.30 this morning and I hadn’t had a gallon of black coffee yet, I’ll forgive myself.

Is it also anti-US prejudice that makes me think,looking at Judge Norman’s mugshot, ‘that’s the kind of man who’d sentence a white boy to ten years’ church attendance’?

14. allismyth says:

Well it did say a church of his choosing so staying away from the 3 Abrahamism or the 3 top killing churches should be easy enough. He was a fool not a killer so I am glad he did not go to prison. Saying that is uneasy; for some of you said it right, about being a littler darker skin would got him a jail term, But is this a form of cruel and unusual punishment? Who knows this may be the reason he finds to reject all religion, understanding the babble book has worked for many free thinkers.