HEART OMG, reports a purse-lipped Christian News:

Is targeting professing Christian girls who seek to be provocative and ‘playful’ in the way that they dress, all in the name of Jesus Christ.

The company claims its range for totty who have the hots for Jesus is “heavenly inspired” and is “a delightful mix of fun, fashion, faith and love”.

At Heart OMG, we believe in sharing our faith and love through fashion, while embracing our fun and characteristic lifestyle, as well as giving back to the ones in need. Every single irresistible Heart OMG piece is wonderfully made to complement those playful and fashion forward individuals who celebrate life, and are eager to make their faith and love a true influence to the world.

Sweet-Jesus

Founded in 2010, Heart OMG sells a variety of t-shirts with Christian themes, such as “Sweet Jesus”, “God Knows My Secrets”, “Church Rocks” and “A Date with JC”.

CN reports that the models pictured in the “shop” section of its site:

Are dressed in very short shorts that at times are covered by the shirts so that one does not know whether the girl is wearing any bottoms at all.

The outrage is palpable.

CN goes on to say that as readers flip through the pages, they see a variety of photos of their models wearing the shirts “in very suggestive poses”.

One photo shows three girls walking into church with their Bibles, donning thigh-high shorts and high heels, and draping their shirts off their shoulders. Another photograph shows the girls on the church platform as if they were leading worship, as one of the women provocatively lifts her bare leg up in the air as she holds an electric guitar. The girl to her left, who is playing the keyboard, barely covers her breast as she pulls her shirt down nearly halfway off of her arm.

Michelle Loon of Christianity Today is quoted as saying:

Christians have a long, ignoble history of trading in all manner of religious tchotchkes [Yiddish for tat] but OMG, with its Second Commandment-bending name, takes this bad habit of ours in a new direction, with its products’ odd syncretism between pop religion and hyper-sexualized pop culture.

Fred Clark of Patheos was even more outraged:

I can’t really believe that this fashion line is being produced by, or marketed to, evangelical youths when its promotional video wouldn’t be permitted to be shown in any evangelical youth group. And there’s the fact that this video was shot in a mainline church rather than in the kind of Orange County evangelical mega-church this would trace back to if it were for real.

23 Responses to “Sweet Jesus! Californian clothing company helps good Christian girls shed that ‘Ugly Betty’ image”

1. Stephen Mynett says:

2. Brummie says:

Eagerly awaiting the Ann Summers’ Bible Basque and Sacred Suspenders to hit the UK market.

Michelle Loon? You’re having us on!

4. Matt Westwood says:

Utterly, utterly outrageous. Encouraging vulnerable teenage girls to indulge their addiction to pink sugary confectionery? We surely are in the last days before Armageddon, brethren!

5. Stephen Mynett says:

I remember one of the loony American cult religions, sorry I know that doesn’t narrow the field much, used to send out young lovilies in pairs to try to convert people. It was known, even by them, as Flirty Fishing.

6. Matt Westwood says:

… the unspoken message being: “Join our gang, and you never know, you might get laid! (‘Course, you’ll have to marry one of us first, and we’re going to be *very* expensive to divorce.)”

7. Stephen Mynett says:

Cheers Matt, I may have been harsh calling them a loony cult. Child abuse and false prophecies, they are quite mainstream really.

A bishop who was rather potty
    Said: “I’m looking for young Christian totty.
    Abuse me and use me,
    For that will amuse me;
    And I like to be spanked on the botty!”

Are we surprised by this? Well that Mary was a bit of a slapper, she got herself pregnant by a bloke who wasn’t her husband; a fine example!

There is nothing off limits for the religious if they can draw in the gullible ready for indoctrination.

10. Trevor Blake says:

Your stature is like a palm tree,
    And your breasts are like its clusters.
    I said, ‘I will climb the palm tree,
    I will take hold of its fruit.’

Song of Solomon 7:7-8. That would make a fine flirty fishing t-shirt.

“Thy two breasts are like two young roes that are twins, which feed among the lilies.” (Song of Solomon 4:5)

@barriejohn:

“She lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.” (Ezekiel 23:20)”

The following was told to me years ago after too many Guinness in a pub near Bantry Bay. A man had a donkey with extremely large genitals which collapsed and died. The man, in a very religious area, did not want any of the many devout women to see the donkey’s genitals. He cut them off and threw them over the high wall of the nearby nunnery.

Shortly afterwards one of the nuns found them. She ran into the nunnery screaming to the Mother Superior, “Mother of God, terrible news, somebody’s murdered Father O’Flaherty.”

Best told in an Irish accent as I heard it.

14. Marky Mark says:

(If they really want to target dirty old men with their catalogues, they could at least have some boy models for the priests.)

…LOL

15. Buffy says:

I guess it’s OK when girls dress and pose like tramps if their shirts pimp God/Jesus?

16. Robster says:

“Sweet Jesus” Are the clerics sprinkling the crackers with sugar and serving ‘em with a sweet desert wine in church nowadays? I suppose they would taste better than the current offering of tasteless little bits of the baby jesus. Tell you what, other than the regular religious wine offering, why not make it more interesting by replacing the wine serve with a Bloody Mary? That’d keep the catholics happy, they could cannibalise baby jesus AND mother mary at the same time. Two birds with one stone you might say and feel better afterwards. Nothing else seems to work in getting bums on pews as church going populations are going the way of catholic credibility, out the window.

17. Matt Westwood says:

Boozing is actively encouraged in the bible: “Take a little wine for thy stomach’s sake.” (Somewhere in Paul’s letter to Timothy, I believe.) Not to mention that drunken orgy at Cana where they were all so fucking bladdered they thought Jesus’ piss was actually wine.

Broga: Was it this group, do you think?

19. Barry Duke says:

Matt, speaking of biblical boozing, some are reportedly upset by a new country & western song called “Beer with Jesus” (http://tinyurl.com/butqg2b).

Here’s part of the lyric:

“If I could have a beer with Jesus, Heaven knows I’d sip it nice and slow. I’d try to pick a place that ain’t too crowded, or gladly go wherever He wants to go. You can bet I’d order up a couple tall ones; tell the waitress put ‘em on my tab …”

You can hear it on YouTube (http://youtu.be/oD2CjVFlgKE) but don’t blame me if you end up putting your fist through your computer screen!

20. Matt Westwood says:

@Barry Duke: Sorry, but life’s too short … anyway, I get together every couple of months to do Tequila slammers with Judas.