Rhode Island row over ‘Christmas’ tree snub

It’s all about the baby Jesus. We tend to almost forget this.

These were the words of Father Timothy Reilly, of the Catholic Diocese of Providence, when a row broke out last year over the fact that Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee chose to call a festive season tree a “holiday tree”.

He did it again this year, and in doing so has earned himself the 2012 “Ebenezer Award”, sponsored by the the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty.

I’ll let Jesus have the last word …

Click on pic to see video

Click on pic to see video

Y’all have happy holidays now.

17 Responses to “Rhode Island row over ‘Christmas’ tree snub”

1. Matt Westwood says:

Don’t you *dare* to usurp good old Pagan traditions by associating a tree with your festing cess-pool of utter filth, you poisonous bags of disgusting rot.

The Yule Tree is to celebrate the ancient deep magic, not your johnny-come-lately middle-eastern shit import. Fuck off back to the desert and take your fucking baby jesus with you. And when you’ve got there, fuck off from there too. Never ever feel you have to stop fucking off.

2. Barry Duke says:

As it’s Christmas eve, I thought it would be amusing to draw attention to a para that appeared in G W Foote’s essay, Christmas Eve in Heaven, written in December 1881.

Much to his surprise, Foote, the blasphemer and founder of the Freethinker, is whooshed off to heaven by a celestial guide:

“As we moved along, I inquired of my guide why he took such interest in me; and he replied, looking sadly, ‘I was a sceptic on earth centuries ago, but I stood alone, and at last on my death-bed, weakened by sickness, I again embraced the creed of my youth and died in the Christian faith. Hence my presence in Heaven. But gladly would I renounce Paradise even for Hell, for those figures so lovely without are not all lovely within, and I would rather consort with the choicer spirits who abide with Satan and hold high revel of heart and head in his court. Yet wishes are fruitless; as the tree falls it lies, and my lot is cast for ever’. Whereupon I laid my hand in his, being speechless with grief!”

Read the whole delightful piece here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/30204/30204-h/30204-h.htm#2H_4_0019

You’ll need scroll down a bit to find it.

Trees have no connection with jebus, apart from mythology where he gets nailed to some planks of wood. The tree nonsense, along with some of today’s revolting religious hypocrisy, was started in the mid 19th century by Victorians; but the catholics tend to overlook that.

4. David Anderson says:

Who put Jesus on the cross?

Man and his Black and Decker.

5. tony e says:

Happy holidays to all the regulars on this site.

I see the RCC archbishop for England and Wales hasn’t wasted today’s golden PR opportunity to clobber the prospect of gay marriage.

In his interview he claims that ‘…the government has no mandate to push through same-sex marriage laws.’ And who, I would ask him, voted for the RCC to have the right to define and regulate marriage on behalf of us all?

Happy hols everyone!

7. Graham Martin-Royle says:

@AgentCormac: You’ve nailed it. If these idiots are going to go on about having a democratic mandate then, as the representative of a minority religion, just what mandate does this fool have to dictate to the rest of us what a marriage is?

GM-R

I’m sure they would say that theirs is no less than a god-given right to tell the rest of us what we can and cannot do. Which has as much legitimacy as saying that their mandate was handed to them by the tooth fairy.

9. James B says:

The god botherer will be delighted to know I’ve just spent the last few days sticking tinsel up, putting presents under a pine tree, stuffing my face with carbohydrates, getting royally drunk, exchanging cards, listening to Slade and spending a day with relatives to remind ourselves why we spend the rest of the year avoiding each other. Just the way Jesus commanded me to.

10. Dess says:

Haha, it’s far too easy to debunk anything the religious say. It’s those that think religion is harmless whilst not conforming to any one in particular who are annoying. They seem to think its wrong to criticise religion because religion is “nice” isn’t it. Brainwashed with no excuse, as information is everywhere.

Dess

These days it is indeed easy, thankfully, to debunk religion. Not so long ago we would all have been tortured and then put to death for speaking such heresy. But thankfully no more!

Essentially, however, it’s easy to debunk religion for one very simple reason: the whole thing is an absurdly transparent lie.

As for those who think that religion is ‘harmless’, I concur. It isn’t ‘nice’. On the contrary, it is mean, spiteful and obsessed with its own image. Come to think of it, the RCC is Paris Hilton personified.

AgentCormac & Dess: Whatever are you talking about? Religion is nothing but a force for good, as any fule kno. Once again, there is a good deal of criticism of the Queen’s Speech amongst the sychophantic drivel on the Mail site tonight. I never listen to her pathetic and inconsequential ramblings myself, but she apparently devoted about half her time to the promotion of the Christian faith (we know that she is a fanatic), and never even mentioned the current period of austerity through which her poor “subjects” are passing – but then why would she?

The Christmas address is one of the rare occasions when the Queen does not turn to the Government for advice, but is able to voice her own views.
    It also has a strong religious framework and this year the Queen spoke about the story at the heart of Christmas – the birth of Jesus.
    ‘A young mother and a dutiful father with their baby were joined by poor shepherds and visitors from afar. They came with their gifts to worship the Christ child,’ she said.
    ‘From that day on, he has inspired people to commit themselves to the best interests of others.’

Totally out of touch and isolated from real life, and living in a fantasy world. No wonder that religion is so important in her life. Yet many are taken in by it all:

Well said Watchman. The queen takes her promise and her Christian faith very seriously. Thank goodness there’s someone standing up the values that built this country. While all the politicians can’t wait to sell this country out. When they’ve destroyed the Christian foundation what do they think is going to tsake it’s place?

Remember The Body Snatchers? Has it really happened?

“The queen takes her promise and her Christian faith very seriously. Thank goodness there’s someone standing up the values that built this country.”

If ever you wanted a summation of the average Mail reader – small-minded, xenophobic and utterly convinced that Britannia somehow still rules the waves – then this has to be it. Laughable, yet at the same time deeply worrying.

14. Equality Jack says:

@Matt – “Never ever feel you have to stop fucking off.”
    I love it and am still cackling.
    Thank you.

15. Matt Westwood says:

@EJ: Glad you enjoy. Solstice greetings to you!

It was not an original thought, I got it from a Facebook humor page and it cracked me up then.