THIS week Poland became the 26th country to sign the Council of Europe’s convention on preventing violence against women – and the Catholic Church is furious.

According to this report, the Church believes that the move would:

Promote non-stereotypical gender roles such as homosexuality and transsexualism.

Polish Catholic bishops added in a statement that :

Religion, tradition and culture should not been seen as the root of violence against women.

Oh, but it should!

According to this report, although matters have improved in Poland over the last few years:

Violence against women remains to a large degree hidden and surrounded by taboos, underpinned by a strong tradition of shame and guilt in the case of disclosure, especially in small villages and towns. It incorporates powerful stereotypes about women and men’s traditional roles in family life, and expectations about the appropriate or acceptable response to ‘inappropriate’ behavior by women.

Polish folklore still contains such folk sayings as ‘a husband who does not beat his wife, does not love her’, and ‘if a husband does not beat his wife her liver rots’.

Women victims have imprinted in their minds all the stereotypes about women and men’s social roles, as well as a number of myths, such as children needing the father, even if he is abusive.

The Catholic Church perpetuates the conservative model of the family and traditional gender roles. Its influence in this field cannot be overestimated. The Church teaching on indissolubility of marriage combined with powerful social myths and stereotypes, in view of serious legal and institutional deficiencies in the family violence intervention system, make a decision to leave an abusive relationship very difficult.

The Polish’s government’s Equal Rights Commissioner Agnieszka Kozlowska-Rajewicz signed the document on Poland’s behalf in Strasbourg.

The convention requires signatory countries to provide an around-the-clock hotline for victims of violence, a website with information about where women can find help, and to set up shelters and support centers.

Poland will also have to conduct special courses for boys and men as well as a public information campaign to counter violence against women.

The bishops also complained:

Linking the justified principle of counteracting violence with an attempt at dangerous interference in the educational system and the values espoused by millions of parents in Poland is a very disturbing signal.

UPDATE:

More madness from Ireland, where folk are ditching religion faster than any other Western country.

In a Christmas attempt at damage control, the Church of Ireland primate of all-Ireland, Archbishop Richard Clarke, warned the flock that when people disengage from superstition, they lose confidence in themselves and those around them.

There can be surely little doubt that when people stop connecting with their religious faith – their sense that they are in the hands of a God who loves them – they may easily then start to lose faith in themselves, and hence lose faith also in those around them, and so become angry, embittered and fearful.

Meanwhile, the head of the Catholic Church in Ireland used his Christmas message to attack Government plans to liberalise the country’s abortion laws in the wake of the Savita Halappanavar scandal.

Cardinal Sean Brady urged everyone who believed in the right to life, to put their views in writing to politicians.

Cardinal Brady said in his Christmas message that he hoped:

That everyone who believes that the right to life is fundamental will make their voice heard in a reasonable, but forthright way to their representatives, reminding them that the right to life is conferred on human beings not by the powerful ones of this world but by the Creator.

Liam Gibson, the Northern Ireland spokesman for the Society for the Protection of Unborn Children and a long-time observer of the religious situation of Ireland blames the religious downturn in Ireland on the activity of the Irish Church.

[It has] focused on social justice issues to the detriment of the spiritual and eternal aspects of the Gospel.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn and Agent Cormac (Irish report)

23 Responses to “Polish move to protect women against violence will ‘promote homosexuality’. WTF?”

No wonder the Pope feels that they have so much in common with the Mohammedans!

Apparently, women can “provoke” violence against themselves when not behaving in an appropriate manner:

3. Stephen Mynett says:

Barriejohn, this reminds me of a rape case 10 or so years ago, the judge made the disgusting comment that the woman may have helped cause it by dressing in a way that suggested she wanted sex and it would be better to go out at night dressed more somberly.
    I wrote to the bastard and asked if by going out at night and limping along slowly with my crutches, would he consider it part my fault if I got mugged, as I was obviously showing the potential muggers that I was that I would not be running away from them.
    Of course, there was never a reply.

4. Daz says:

Once again the Catholic Church shows itself willing to embrace the forward-thinking and progressive ideals of a new century! It’s a shame the century in question is the 14th, but hey-ho—it’s new to them!

Another bunch of religiots (Muslim) were saying the same thing recently, Stephen, and ordering their women to go about disguised as tents, by law, but I can’t find the link now. I have attracted quite a bit of criticism on some sites – mainly from gay Christians, I have to say – for saying what I know to be true. Their argument is that I have had “unfortunate experiences” as a member of a small and rather extreme evangelical sect, and that I have no business projecting their beliefs onto “mainstream Christians”, who are all sweetness and light, of course. Stories like this just prove how right I am!

6. Trevor Blake says:

Since the problem is apparently rooted in good information versus bad information, I’m eager to learn how Christians in Poland are going to amend Leviticus 19:20-22. Perhaps they will also reach out a friendly hand to their Muslim sisters and request a change to 4:34 in the Quran. Go on, Christians, tell us more of the more in our secular eye.

Daz

They really can’t get past the Middle Ages, can they. While the world keeps on turning the church clings desperately to the last vestiges of its golden age when people actually listened to what it said and did what it told them to do. The RCC’s inability and/or unwillingness to even remotely join everyone else in the 21st century means that as they all do, it will ultimately become redundant – just one more religion that fell by the wayside.

8. Stephen Mynett says:

Of course they are sweetness and light Barriejohn, that is the christian thinking. My sister tries to tell me that there is nothing wrong with her being nice to and tolerating Jehovah’s Witnesses, despite the fact my haemophilia would have led to a premature death if my parents had believed in their no blood, shite-philosophy.
    I really do despair when I see and hear all the apologetic crap they come up with.

9. oakwise says:

great comments everyone.
    Keep it up… leave no place for their nonsense to hide.

10. eddieVroom says:

I cordially invite the Pope to sit on his pointy little hat, and spin.

11. Stonyground says:

It would appear that JP2 was quite good at public relations and so, even though the RCC was just as nasty under his watch, it didn’t appear that way. Ratty and friends seem to have no clue about what is considered moral or immoral out in reality land. How can anyone think that trying to reduce violence against women is not a laudable aim? How insane to think that any kind of action can somehow cause an increase in gayness.

When this thread disappeared earlier I thought that Barry must have found that these stories were all hoaxes. No such luck – here’s the one about “rape provoking clothing” that I referred to above:

“We do not encourage that women should be harmed”. How fucking progressive can you get?

PS I can hardly read this script. What has happened?

‘…when people stop connectng to their religious faith…..they may begin to lose faith in themselves.. ‘ What bollocks! When people finally throw off years of indocrinated superstition, they do not lose faith in themselves! Quite the opposite happens – they gain so much self-confidence and strength they often wonder why it took them so long to open their eyes. But once their eyes are open and free, there is no going back – and that is exactly what this dumb-skull bishop is really frightened about but hasn’t the guts to say so.

15. John Doe says:

I heard nothing about homosexuality in this article, granted I did read some hypocritical quoteds from religious authority. Eh religion is just random altogether

16. Robster says:

How can one have “faith” in themselves? Faith requires nothing, no proof, no evidence, nothing. An individual has themself, a physical being no faith nonsense required.

17. Trevor Blake says:

Go on, Christians, tell us more of the more in our secular eye.

Blast you, iphone auto-correct – should read MOTE in our secular eye.

18. Matt Westwood says:

“How can one have “faith” in themselves?”

Just TV talent-contest language, and as a result, a cliche for the woolly-minded throughout Westciv.

19. Alex kalisz says:

I’ll be a feminist in a post patriachial society.

Trevor Blake: My cerebral auto-correct had already rectified that!

21. Agnieszka Dolata says:

I call it religious fanatism. Poland is the most backwards country in Europe due to the constant involvement of the Catholic Church in Polish politics. We are already a laughing stock of the EU. It makes me so angry that BASIC human rights are dennied to women by this backwards organisation. I bet I have at least one Polish friend on FB who has experienced domestic violence. I wonder when the Polish Catholic Church is going to be sued for supporting haterate towardrs minorities?!

22. Matt Westwood says:

Oh, and even if protecting women from violence were to:

“Promote non-stereotypical gender roles such as homosexuality and transsexualism”

… pray tell, where’s the problem?

That’s like telling people: “If you stop going to church, you’ll become interested in science and mathematics and may end up becoming an engineer or a physicist.”