Maine restaurateur driven to take steps against nuisance ‘pro-lifers’

FED UP to the back teeth with caterwauling Christians harassing women outside an abortion clinic in Portland, Maine, local restaurateur Mike Fink has decided enough is enough, and has announced a counter-protest against the barmy banshees targeting the Planned Parenthood premises adjacent to his business.

Mike Fink pictured also has a guitar shop next to Planned Parenthood.

Mike Fink pictured also has a guitar shop next to Planned Parenthood. Photo: Portland Press Herald

Mike Fink. of Mike’s Restaurant, is reported here to be planning to stage his protest next Friday, on January 4.

Fink went so far as to place a newspaper advertisement saying:

Normally, we do not get involved in religious or political debate because it is a waste of time. However, these people have become a problem. These protesters bring their young children and use them to push their views and beliefs without any regard of local businesses or the long-term mental health of their own children.

Fink then issued an offer to those joining him in protesting the pro-life group:

Help us … by holding a sign or making a presence against these insane, stupid people, and get a free coffee and breakfast sandwich.

Christian News Network spoke with two of the women who “minister” outside Planned Parenthood in Portland, and learned that both of them are post-abortive mothers who state that they just want:

To reach out to other women who are where they once were.

'Pro-lifers' pictured outside the Planned Parenthood clinic. Photo: Portland Press Herald

‘Pro-lifers’ pictured outside the Planned Parenthood clinic. Photo: Portland Press Herald

One of those who pray, sing hymns and generally make complete idiots of themselves outside the clinic is Leslie Sneddon, a homeschooling mother of two, who had had four abortions.

Prior to my conversion as a born again Christian, I was pro-abortion. I was a feminist, and I was highly promiscuous. And with that sort of lifestyle, I ended up choosing death for four of my children.

Sneddon explained that her journey “from death to life” began twelve years ago during a religious service when she saw a man wearing a pin “with little feet on it”.

I was struck with terror, and I did not want to ask what was on the lapel of his jacket. I went home just completely undone. I couldn’t sleep. I tossed all night. I cried. I was likened to David soaking his pillow from repentance.

Another “pro-lifer” who regularly targets Planned Parenthood is Donna Hebert, who brings along her adopted 8-year-old son from Ethiopia. Two of her other children, ages 18 and 11, also accompany her during the “outreach”.

We pray, we sing hymns [and] when a woman goes in for an abortion, we plead with her.

Fink, who also owns Guitar Grave next to Planned Parenthood, wrote in his advertisement that the “pro-lifers” have:

Taken to yelling at women entering the Planned Parenthood office.

His ad labelled the protesters:

Rude, loud [and] self-righteous anti-abortion protesters [who] harass young women …

But Hebert and Sneddon say their “outreach” is being mischaracterised.

[We call out], ‘Please, there are other choices! You don’t have to do this! We can help you!

Hebert added:

I am able to cry out and tell them that I regret my abortion. That’s what they consider ‘screaming’. We have a split second window to reach out to these women.

The women also stated that they have had “resistance” since they first began ministering six months ago, including a “cash mob” that was organized to raise money for Planned Parenthood. They are aware of Fink’s dislike of their “outreach”. Hebert complained:

One day, he opened up the door and purposefully played South Park [a cartoon on MTV] — an episode where it blasphemes God.

Meanwhile it is reported here that the city council is considering establishing a “buffer zone” to separate “pro-lifers” and those who support women using the services of the clinic.

51 responses to “Maine restaurateur driven to take steps against nuisance ‘pro-lifers’”

1. Tom says:

I don’t like abortion, and would not counsel either of my Daughters to have one. But they have a constitutional right to one if they so choose. The “protesters” also have a right to express themselves, but not in a manner that negatively affects the livelihood of another person, or commerce in general. They need to get booted to a public square or park and leave the business district in peace.

2. Trevor Blake says:

Thank goodness something is finally being done about Hosea 13:16, in which an invisible monster that lives in the sky commands His followers to forcibly abort babies. Wait, what’s that? One rule for me and one rule for thee? Ah, I see.

Religion.

Trevor Blake

Good call. Hosea 13:16 is a wonderful example of what these morons unwittingly stand for. I doubt that a single one of them has ever actually read the book of fairy stories they claim to represent, because if they had then even they, surely, would have to stop and wonder at the irony of it all (irony being a word they would no doubt have to go and look up in a dictionary they don’t own).

It is pathetic. Truly pathetic. Brainwashed and without a single original thought of their own, they just blindly and numbly follow the instructions of the evil bastards who control their minds and tell them what to do.

Good luck to Mike Fink. It’s about time these lunatics got swept off the streets.

4. Matt Westwood says:

Those people are standing awfully close to the kerb there. Frighteningly in danger from out-of-control, drunken drivers …

5. Lidia says:

AgentCormac and Trevor:

My sister has become Rapture-Ready™® and she will tell you that it doesn’t matter whether her God character commands abortions or not, nor whether he engages in any sort of violence, viciousness or perversity.

He can do that: he’s “god”. Whereas we mere mortals, being “not-god” cannot assume that we can act with impunity the way the God-character does.

The God-character is always right, and we are always wrong.
    He is glorious, and we are seething sacks of sin.

She has it on good advisement!

6. Lidia says:

P.S. Not only glorious, but full of “love”, N.B.

7. Whisper says:

It’s the same old Barry Duke. If the religious believe it, it must be ridiculous. And granted, that is mostly true. There was no garden of eden, there was no flood, there were no miracles, no resurrections.
    But, on the subject of abortion, you are entering a completely different realm of the human psyche. There is no rational reason for having children at all, because they are all a mixture of pride and heartache, yet we do, because nature tells us the lie that having children is the key to fulfilment and happiness. While it is not true, it is built into our being. Survival of the species.
    That is very important to the subject, because every female is to one extent or another driven to give birth, and after executing the task is driven to protect and nurture.
    But, here’s the flip side to the coin. Just as there are people who assume that by observing the wonders of nature that there must be a god with a purpose, which is bullshit, there are freethinking women who have transcended their hormones and made a rational decision not to become a parent. I totally support them.
    But, the dispassionate part of the argument is to dismiss the people who could not rationally rise above. Some women do regret abortion to a degree that they can never live down. It’s not their fault, it’s part of the mechanism of survival of the species. It may be irrational but who will rescue them, Barry Duke? He doesn’t even care to understand them.
    Barry, while I would stand beside you outside any religious compound and warn any visitors entering, I suspect you have not a single clue about women’s issues on abortion. Not that I don’t think you can’t understand, I just think you need to take a second look before you publish your thoughts under a banner like, “freethinker.”

Whisper

Lidia.

Sounds like your sister has got it bad. I don’t know how I would cope if one of my siblings fell for all that nonsense. I can only imagine it would be really difficult to be understanding and respect their views, yet disagree with them so deeply and fundamentally, all at the same time. I hope you can find a way.

9. David Anderson says:

What people like Sneddon never take into account is that some (many) of the women attending those clinics are not pro-abortion, feminist or promiscuous. What they are doing is suffering a traumatic experience of having an unviable pegnancy terminated that they were happy with. Sneddon and her yelling friends are just adding to the distress.

If Sneddon had four abortions due to her promiscuity she must also be as dumb as fuck. Also, they weren’t her “children”.

10. Har Davids says:

Nobody likes abortion, but sometimes people have a valid reason to have one. Having some cells removed is not ‘killing’; if these people were really sincere, they would offer the women who’ve just had an abortion a coffee and a chat, to show them they’re not alone in this. And having four abortions before being born again yourself sounds a bit over the top, or just plain stupid! Is there some kind of abortion to prevent people from being born again, as a christian or otherwise?

Har Davids

It’s called a lobotomy.

It is an old maxim: “If you don’t like abortion then don’t have one”.
    No woman has a termination without thinking long and hard about the potential physical and mental consequences, so these lunatic protesters explicit aim is to undo a difficult and rational decision to make women feel guilty.

Women must have control of their bodies, free from interference by religion; and let’s be honest it is mainly celibate old men who seek to deny us these hard won freedoms.

13. Stonyground says:

Is ‘Planned Parenthood Clinic’ a euphemism for abortion clinic? Otherwise, I would have thought that the majority of women going there would be seeking advice on contraception and sexual health rather than abortion.

14. Marky Mark says:

This planet is way overpopulated already, we need strict birth control and more abortion to families and women who need/want them. The abstinence theory of the religious peoples is not working out. The urge to reproduce (sex) is as strong in our species as the urge to eat and drink.

I like how these “born again” peoples, like the two who had abortions in this article, always say; “I use to do bad things until I found god”. The worst among those are the recovering alcoholics and drug users…or just plain partiers. Most of these types just got older and no longer have the same urges (or taste) for these things, and since they no longer like them…no one should. Worst among them are the religious old folk who no longer have an interest in sex, though they had their fun when young, now that they don’t, it is wrong to have sex because they found god and wish to force their opinion on everyone.

Glad to hear about this guy, hope to soon see protesters blocking churches while screaming “Child Molesters!!” at the people entering the building.

15. Marky Mark says:

Angela_K said:
    (mainly celibate old men who seek to deny us these hard won freedoms.)…exactly! Along with their brainwashed, “past their prime” wives.

16. Matt Westwood says:

@Whisper: A well-thought-out analysis, with one important issue you failed to register: while it is perfectly appropriate for people to make their rationalist choice to go against their animal instincts (and thereby take the decision to abort), or whether they believe their animal instincts are paramount (and therefore despite the rational arguments in favour decide *not* to abort), that decision should be *up to the person involved*.

It is not my business, your business, or that of a feckless slosher who not only can’t keep her legs closed but is also buggeringly ignorant about contraception, to tell *any* woman what she may do to her body.

Dress it up in whatever pompous pseudo-intellectual psycho-religious language you like: any other attitude is fascism.

17. Buffy says:

Bloody moralizing busybodies. If they were truly ‘pro-life’ they’d care about life after it left the uterus. The reality is these idiots are the same ones demanding an end to healthcare reform, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, SNAP, WIC and every other program that helps promote/sustain life. They don’t give a damn about life, only about controlling women.

18. Whisper says:

Mr Westwood said of my comment,
    “with one important issue you failed to register ** that decision should be up to the person involved.”
    Well, of course it should, and the only reason I did not state it is because I thought when I said, “there are freethinking women who have transcended their hormones and made a rational decision not to become a parent. I totally support them”, that the point would have been assumed.
    But, since we are freethinkers here, have you ever wondered whether there are among the crowds of pro-lifers a few women who have made the decision to abort, outside of their belief system, and unable to separate reason from primal drive, that they are tortured by the memory. And maybe, they just want to save other women from suffering the same fate. Of course, such a motive is stuffed with hubris and wild assumption, but what motivates my forgiveness is they are doing the wrong thing for the right reason.

Whisper

19. Matt Westwood says:

“unable to separate reason from primal drive, that they are tortured by the memory. And maybe, they just want to save other women from suffering the same fate. Of course, such a motive is stuffed with hubris and wild assumption, but what motivates my forgiveness is they are doing the wrong thing for the right reason.”

Perhaps they should go and get therapy and stop projecting their own neurotic lunacy on others. Just because they’re fuckups does not give them any reason at all to inflict their stupid fuckuppery upon anyone else in the world.

20. Whisper says:

Mr Westwood,
    A whisper has gotten your undivided attention. I wanted to know what the word, “fuckuppery” meant, so I typed it into my browser. It replied, “What the fu*****”, and then my hard drive crashed. Up and running now though. 🙂
    Trust me, I understand your point. Every freethinker resents the brainwashed imposing their viewpoint upon us. I was just trying to be the adult in the room, and see the subject from all perspectives. I think it is a mistake to presume that just because a religious person said it, the statement is wrong. Every issue must be weighed on it’s own merit. Religious people believe that it’s wrong to fuck your husband’s best friend, or his brother. I agree. Joseph Stalin thought that atheism should be the law of the land. I disagree. While some issues appear to be black and white, what they really are is shades of gray, when you dissect them.
    Now that I know what “fuckuppery” means, I will use it in a sentence. “Regardless of which side of the fence they stand,”fuckuppery” is what humans do.” If you don’t believe me, just watch the news tomorrow.

Whisper

22. Whisper says:

Wow, Barriejohn,
    Seems you have your panties caught in your vagina. Let’s take a second and fix that. You could get an infection.

You said: “Fuck you! Fuck you! Fuck you!”. Seems you have some ‘splaining to do, Lucy. One question though, Lucy, how close are you to winning the world? How close are you to irrelevent?

Whisper

23. Matt Westwood says:

So the response “mind your own business, and/or go and get help” to person “A” interfering with the legitimate business of person “B” triggered by the personality problems of person “A” is not an adult response? Saying “Fuck you” just for the purposes of provoking anger *is* an adult response? Accusing a correspondent of being female as a means of insult is *adult*?

Incidentally, are you trying somehow to suggest that being female is an *unacceptable* state of being? I’m not sure that’s a valid form of argument. Why don’t you just up the ante and accuse your intellectual opponents of being mathematicians? Ouch, that will hurt.

Matt: Ignore it. No one on here knows whether I am male or female. We have at least one regular (allegedly) male visitor who employs a female username. I’m not bothered and I’m not taking the bait. He obviously couldn’t be bothered to read what I actually posted anyway (no surprises there), as I didn’t say “Fuck you” anywhere!

25. remigius says:

“Joseph Stalin thought that atheism should be the law of the land…”

No he didn’t.

Atheism is merely a lack of belief in supernatural beings, nothing more, and as such could never form the basis of a legal system. I think the word you are looking for is communism.

26. Whisper says:

Mr. Westwood said:
    “Saying “Fuck you” just for the purposes of provoking anger *is* an adult response? Accusing a correspondent of being female as a means of insult is *adult*?”
    I guess my question would be, “Have you been eating the wrong kind of mushrooms on your pizza?” First of all, I never said “Fuck you” to anyone, but I am capable. I was quoting Barriejohn, here’s the entire post:
    “I couldn’t have put it better myself, Matt. In fact, I don’t think I could have put it nearly as well. I fear that the dreaded NeoWolfe has acquired a new computer, or – horror of horrors – has spawned a sprog! Maybe there’s a whole army of them just waiting to infect sites like this: “Atheism is the new religion. I’m the only true freethinker. Fuck you! Fuck you! Fuck you!”.
    Now, in response to this typically irrational outburst, I made a joke about BarelyToilet’s gender. I was being the adult in the room in my conversation with you. My response to BarelyToilet was separate, because the clueless bitch insulted me. So I put her in her place. Sorry you had to witness that. Now stop eating strange mushrooms.

Whisper

27. Whisper says:

remigius said:

““Joseph Stalin thought that atheism should be the law of the land…”

No he didn’t.

Well, yes he did. And this is just a place to start curing your ignorance: http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism_and_Mass_Murder

My recommendation, though, is not to trust any online source, go to your library where reference books will tell you about Joseph Stalin, Carl Marx, Pol Pot, and every Marxist regime that followed, and how many people were murdered in the name of atheism. Don’t be afraid, it’s just knowledge.

Whisper

28. remigius says:

Conservapedia? Oh for fucks sake!

29. remigius says:

They didn’t murder in the name of atheism, you thick cunt, they carried out their brutality in the name of their particular ideology.

As I told you before, atheism is merely a lack of belief in supernatural beings. It is not a political ideology.

Twat!

30. Whisper says:

Thick cunt? Atheists are not nice people. That’s why you are losing your battle. You can lead a dork to water, but you can’t make him think.

I think it doesn’t matter, because you believers in theory are so stuck in a mindset of “accident” that you have run out of time. You could not win the populace because all you have is a different religion, but sticking to your guns you watch our species on the brink. Okay, that’s what happened to the dinosaurs. But I doubt anyone will be digging up our bones, evolution will have to start from scratch.
    There is an alternative, freethought. When people refuse to believe anything that cannot be proven in a laboratory, the problem is solved. If you cannot prove the garden of eden is real, file it under, I dont know. If you cannot prove that the big bang happened, file it in the same bin. That is not a religion, it is a call to humanity. It is a call to sanity. So the killing ends.

Thick cunt

31. RabbitOnAStick says:

women abort all the time. 40% of the time. It is called a miscarriage.

the problem is demanding other people live as ‘one’ would. “one’ ought to leave others as ‘one’ finds one.
    alone. [not that there is a ‘one ‘ in there].

Free.

32. Stephen Mynett says:

Whisper, it is you that are afraid of knowledge, not us. It must be awful to find out there are people who dont follow your own line of moronic thought.

Stalin was an opportunist and an evil one but he was originally aiming to be a priest and had many ideals based on the orthodox church. It was his perversion of socialism that led to the deaths, not atheism.

Pol Pot was a novice buddhist and learned a lot from that philosophy before becoming a mass-murderer. Atheism was not the motivation.

I am unable to look up Carl Marx as I prefer to read about Karl Marx but he did not support mass murder, even of the classes he despised. Unlike the religionists who are happy to wipe out millions in their name.

I suppose you wil try to tell us that Hitler was an atheist, despite the fact he was a catholic, referred to doing god’s work in Mein Kampf and many of his speeches and was supported by the catholic church and the EKD.

33. RabbitOnAStick says:

all the Germans had Gott Mit Uns on their belt buckles. God Is With Us.

Indeed they did.

i wonder if that is why they lost.

34. Matt Westwood says:

@Whisper: I quote you: “And I can tell you exactly why. But, by doing so, I know, I am going to offend some of you, so let me say right up front, fuck you.”

Then you said:
    “I guess my question would be, “Have you been eating the wrong kind of mushrooms on your pizza?” First of all, I never said “Fuck you” to anyone, but I am capable.”

Liar.

35. Whisper says:

It’s all good. There is no reason to throw pearls before swine. Happy Fiscal Cliff. It doesn’t matter how many times I put you throw backs in your place, you come lashing out with your spin. And that’s how it will always be, because goverment, religion, philosophy, it’s human institution, and therefore, inherently flawed. I see a pinacle of light, but you idiots have your heads in a bag. That’s your right as Americans. But what has to happen in the near future is that a freethinker needs to head off war with North Korea and Iran. But, you are worried about whether BarelyToilet shoud be able to marry his pet turtle. I enjoy writing, but you people are clueless.

Whisper

36. Stephen Mynett says:

Whisper, you show your completely bigoted attitude by saying “That’s your right as Americans.”
    I am not American and many of us posting here are not. This is an English site, set up to follow an English publication, the Freethinker.
    You have no idea about who or what we are. I suggest you stick with your Repiblican Tea Party ideals and leave thinking to people who are capable of it. You have proven that you are not.

37. Whisper says:

Westwood said,
    “It was on another thread, but it was under your byline and in your style. If it looks like a fuck, and walks like a fuck, and quacks like a fuck, then you *are* a fuck.”

Desperate words from a man losing a debate. The first part which quotes me as saying, if you are offended, fuck you, is true, but where did you invent the rest of this bullshit. Supply the data, or join a church, because that is where bullshit makes money. You could be rich.

Whisper

38. remigius says:

You are boring. Go away.

39. Whisper says:

Mr Mynett,

I am answering you, not because you present some intellectual challenge, but because you absolutely embody the atheist ignorance. Now, wait!! I assume you are an atheist, because you posted this on an atheist website. Is that safe to say? That is okay with me. I am 99% atheist myself. And I hate Republican backing of our christian values. And while I hate tea partiers, because they want to cut government spending when the economy depends on it, they fuck with the president because he’s popular and he’s black. That has totally upset the order of things. Now the game is playing out whether the rich own the government. We are all going to die, so as the walking dead, I watch this shit with fascination. But, that doesn’t change the fact that barriejohn is an asshole.

Whisper

40. Matt Westwood says:

@Whisper: You are one of the reasons why we on the civilised side of the Atlantic laugh ourselves incontinent at the inhabitants of your side of the Atlantic.

Wave that gun at me would you? I’ve had bigger dicks waved in my face.

41. Matt Westwood says:

“where did you invent the rest of this bullshit”

That was off my own head. Seems I’ll have to explain myself.

On a different thread, I encountered a piece of writing which was signed by a poster with the byline “Whisper” which contained the words “fuck you”. Later, on this thread, I encountered a piece where you denied that you said “fuck you.”

There are two possibilities:
    a) You were the poster, posting as “Whisper”, who wrote “fuck you”. Your later post, when you denied you said “fuck you”, was therefore a lie.
    b) You were *not* the poster on that other thread who posted as “Whisper”. That would mean there are two people posting who both use the byline “Whisper”. But the other one wrote using the same style as you, espousing similar points of view in the same breathlessly peevish delivery (excuse me assigning a voice to the posts I read), that it was pretty certainly the same person posting. That is, the proverb “If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it *is* a duck” came to mind, but because you’re such a fucking arsehole I added a note of derisive humour directed fair and square against you (because I really don’t like you very much) where I replaced the word “duck” with “fuck”.

I’m terribly sorry how this exercise in elementary logic was too intellectually problematical for you to take in. In the future I will attempt to dumb my language down so your fuckwit brain can understand it.

42. Stephen Mynett says:

Whisper, what is this atheist ignorance you accuse me of? All you have done is make assumptions about others, not just me, and slag off certain posters. Whether you are atheist, 99% or whatever, that does not detract from the fact you are almost totally intollerant of others.

You, also pose no intellectual challenge as you argue like a presupper, assuming you are right and not accepting other viewpoints. Fine that is your choice but dont expect to be tolerated by us. Basically you are nothing more than a troll, you have no idea who any of us are but make accusations based on your own limited knowledge and personal bigotories.

I have no idea who or what barriejohn is but I know from experience that we can engage in interesting conversations with barriejohn. That is something that does not happen with you.

Enjoy living in your hole, I am glad I will never cross the atlantic and meet you.

43. Matt Westwood says:

BTW anyone noticed how Mike Fink looks so gloriously similar to the late great Philip Kindred Dick? Rock on!

44. RabbitOnAStick says:

Where is the debate when it becomes so personalised.
    where is the free thought when anger over spills the issue.

ROAS: There is no debate at that personalised level. Merely a venting of spleen on to people about whom, in the nature of these exchanges, we can know little other than the opinions we reach based on their contributions here.

Whisper

“But, that doesn’t change the fact that barriejohn is an asshole.”

Please. Stop embarrassing yourself. If anyone is an asshole, it’s you. Either because you are a loathsome little religiot trying desperately to convince us that you are an atheist (in which case you are doing a truly, truly terrible job), or because you are, as has already been suggested, one of those horribly confused and deluded people who, for whatever reason, haven’t got a clue what they are and just argue irrationally with everyone.

Personally, I think you are the former. But if you do happen to be a re-incarnation of NeoWolfe, I am saddened that you still haven’t found any respite from your obvious mental torture, and dismayed that your particular brand of time-wasting and energy-sapping ‘contribution’ is back with us again. Either way, just go away. You have nothing positive, valuable or illuminating whatsoever to contribute and will win no one over to your confused and meaningless point of view.

47. RabbitOnAStick says:

Broga very true this is why I wrote what i did. I too can read the personal vitriol from one visitor here. Who clearly has personalised his anger and aggression against barrie john.

ROAS: The anti barriejohn vitriol is curious. I have often been informed and grateful to bj for his readiness to produce links which, as an aged technophobe and semi literate in technology myself, I could never find. I suspect the attacks on bj reveal that some of bj’s comments are aggravating an open emotional wound. The attacking comments are too personally vile, and irrelevant to any discussion, to owe anything to reason or objectivity.

Broga: The funny thing is that I didn’t actually reply to any of his comments! It might be, as you say, that the remark I made to Matt had a really devastating effect, but I tend to think that this goes back a long way, which is the reason why I haven’t bothered to read anything else that he has posted, nor will I in the future.

@barriejohn: I think your decison is sensible. I have browsed his posts. There can be, and we often see it here, a cauterising verbal aggression which can be cathartic to read. And its religious targets offer ample justification. However, the merely snide is flabby stuff and soon becomes boring.