Dead elk vigil outrages ‘pro-lifers’ in Boulder, Colorado

The elk that sparked an outcry

The elk that sparked an outcry

THE shooting last week of an elk in Boulder, Colorado, caused outrage among local residents, who later held a candlelit vigil for the dead animal.

This, in turn, provoked further fury from a Christian organisationPersonhood USA  – which seized on the vigil to trumpet anti-abortion propaganda,

According to this report, Jennifer Mason, Communications Director for Personhood USA in Arvada, Colorado, said she thought it absurd that residents would demonstrate an outpouring of grief for the elk while human life is ignored and devalued in the state.0

She told the CNN:

The first thing that came to mind of course was, ‘Why would they hold a vigil for an animal and deem the animal’s life so much more valuable than these babies in the womb?’ Even currently, it’s legal to abort babies in the womb minutes from delivery, and human life is valued so little compared to this animal that they have memorialized in Boulder. It’s really a sad fact.

Mason said that she sees a culture of death all around her.

I believe we have the second or third largest Planned Parenthood in the United States here in Colorado.

Noting the Aurora and Columbine shootings, she added:

I think there’s an epidemic of violence here in Colorado, and it certainly extends to the abortion clinics. There’s definitely a devaluing of human life here, and that’s something that we have to face all the time.

The dotty “pro-lifer” added:

People … really need to learn that science definitely points to the personhood of the pre-born child. You cannot find any embryology textbook that does not say that life begins at conception.

Mason concluded by stating that the way to change society’s thinking — which now deems animals as being valuable, but ignores the plight of the pre-born — is through education.

That’s something we work hard at [here] at Personhood USA. We are trying to abolish abortion, and the way to do that is to change the culture. And how we change the culture is by educating them and trying to teach them about the humanity of the child in the womb.

A roadside service for the elk, held on Sunday, included stories and songs, and a memorial was erected in honour of the deceased elk. Its picture had been framed and placed in an evergreen tree for remembrance.

According to various reports, the elk had wandered into a residential neighborhood last week, and when police arrived, it appeared to be injured. The on-duty police officer then shot the animal dead, while an off-duty officer helped to load the elk onto a pickup truck, as it was then transported to be processed into meat.

Resident Nancy Platt told the Daily Camera:

He was a beautiful animal. He was hurting nobody. He didn’t deserve what he got.

Added Esther Parson:

People live here because we love the wildlife. To murder an animal who feels like he’s part of the neighborhood is despicable.

Boulder resident Jim Riemersma told reporters that he organisd the vigil because he wanted to give people an opportunity to grieve over the loss of the animal, to celebrate its life, and to obtain “a little bit of closure” in the matter.

36 Responses to “Dead elk vigil outrages ‘pro-lifers’ in Boulder, Colorado”

1. Trevor Blake says:

We know from Hosea 9:16 that God loves to abort children.

2. RabbitOnAStick says:

Trevor

9.16 is much worse isn;t it. It seems to say that the loving caring gawd will kill the children after they are born. So not even in the womb pre-term.

3. RabbitOnAStick says:

all beautiful translation. such a caring loving gawd.

Ephraim is blighted, their root is withered, they yield no fruit. Even if they bear children, I will slay their cherished offspring.”
    New Living Translation (©2007)
    The people of Israel are struck down. Their roots are dried up, and they will bear no more fruit. And if they give birth, I will slaughter their beloved children.”

English Standard Version (©2001)
    Ephraim is stricken; their root is dried up; they shall bear no fruit. Even though they give birth, I will put their beloved children to death.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
    Ephraim is stricken, their root is dried up, They will bear no fruit. Even though they bear children, I will slay the precious ones of their womb.

Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)
    Ephraim is struck down; their roots are withered; they cannot bear fruit. Even if they bear children, I will kill the precious offspring of their wombs.

International Standard Version (©2012)
    Ephraim is blighted; its roots shriveled. It can bear no fruit. Even if they bear children, I will kill their cherished offspring.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
    Ephraim is smitten, their root is dried up, they shall bear no fruit: yea, though they bring forth, yet will I slay even the beloved fruit of their womb.

GOD’S WORD® Translation (©1995)
    “The people of Ephraim are like sick plants. Their roots are dried up. They have no fruit. Even if they were to have children, I would kill their dear children.”

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
    Ephraim is smitten, their root is dried up, they shall bear no fruit: yea, though they bring forth, yet will I slay even their beloved children.

American King James Version
    Ephraim is smitten, their root is dried up, they shall bear no fruit: yes, though they bring forth, yet will I slay even the beloved fruit of their womb.

American Standard Version
    Ephraim is smitten, their root is dried up, they shall bear no fruit: yea, though they bring forth, yet will I slay the beloved fruit of their womb.

Douay-Rheims Bible
    Ephraim is struck, their root is dried up, they shall yield no fruit. And if they should have issue, I will slay the best beloved fruit of their womb.

Darby Bible Translation
    Ephraim is smitten: their root is dried up, they shall bear no fruit; yea, though they should bring forth, yet will I slay the beloved fruit of their womb.

English Revised Version

Webster’s Bible Translation

World English Bible
    Ephraim is struck. Their root has dried up. They will bear no fruit. Even though they bring forth, yet I will kill the beloved ones of their womb.”

4. featheredfrog says:

Note that “I will slay their children”. Pre-birth
    abortion is NOT murder to the Israelites — only a fine
    is levied (heh!) on one who causes a miscarriage, but
    a murderer is put to death (or has to pay a blood-geld)

One is not alive until the breath of life is demonstrated.

5. JohnMWhite says:

Yet another zealot fails the first test of the other mind theory. She is incapable of understanding that other people think differently. To her, you have an entire community that sees babies being killed and goes “meh” while seeing a dead elk and going “awww”. It totally flies over her head that, actually, not everybody thinks a foetus is a fully realised human being.

Also, as tragic as the incidents were, I hardly think two shootings a decade apart indicate an epidemic of violence within the state of Colorado. Most importantly, though, she’s just plain lying. She lies about abortion being legal “minutes from delivery” and she lies about embryology. No textbook says life begins at conception – every textbook not written by a lying religious zealot shows that life is a continuous process, from adult to sperm to egg to zygote to embryo to foetus to baby to child to adult. Personhood is not a scientific definition and so no science book actually suggests that personhood occurs at the moment of conception, but scientifically we can definitively say there is no consciousness or personality within a zygote and there very much is within an adult woman.

If anyone considering themselves pro-life reads this sort of thing, do yourself a favour and stop lying to further your agenda, and stop projecting your own definitions of life into the heads of other people. Try an honest exchange and you might get somewhere.

These pro life nutters are so narrow in their thinking. We are all animals and, as “Why Evolution is true” by Jerry Coyne brilliantly demonstrates, we are all part of the same web of life. Also, a wild animal, for me anyway, adds magic to a scene. An empty cove, when a seal surfaces, really becomes a different place. The sight of a Red Kite, quite a lot around me, is a thrill. The insane idea that humans are all important, the favourites of God, and other animals are insignificant by comparison is one of the most destructive religious ideas. Preserve the elk and kick out the pro lifers.

‘The personhood of the pre-born child’.

Only in America!

I think the animal vigil was disgusting!! Those bleeding hearts let 1000lbs of perfectly good meat start rotting rather then pick it up and bring it to a butcher for use in the local soup kitchen and for other poor and charities. Wasted in every way.

9. Daz says:

L.Long

The animal was carted away after it had been shot, to be processed into meat. The vigil was held at the site of the killing.

L.Long: I would prefer to see the pro lifers processed into “perfectly good meat.” I am sure the food industry, adept at rendering crap edible, could present the food as a premium dish. It could be advertised as, “This meat has been produced from a genuine Christian source and has been blessed many times by USA pastors.” It would sell like wildfire.

11. RabbitOnAStick says:

Are not all these people living on a planet we do not recognise.

1. They hold a vigil for an animal that may have been injured. An animal. A deer. Something we kill for food. And often kill inhumanely no doubt. But this was shot dead. Bang! Immediate.
    And they bleat about this deer as though it was important and then,

2. Others cloud that issue with an item about abortion but are so mendacious and invidious that they disguise [to the uneducated and easily led] that this issue is about humans. About babies. And lie about what that means.

What possess these people?

It is what it is, non-human, no life, no baby, let us be careful not to cloud this issue – deer and human life – they are not the same and are not equal. There is no need to be cruel but let us be sensible.

Not until a certain point in time is a foetus a ‘baby’. And it is not what this lying disingenuous mendacious woman says. And clouding the humane killing of an [injured] deer with abortion shows how utterly stupid this woman is.

L.Long

That post was a wind-up, yes?

ROAS

The word ‘vigil’ probably doesn’t help. I can completely understand people wanting to protest against an innocent and clearly magnificent animal being shot dead for no other reason than it had strayed into an urban area. (Unless it was indeed injured, in which case the cops did the right and humane thing.)

Where I live, the huntin’, shootin’, killin’ brigade enjoy complete immunity from criticism and take great delight in slaughtering anything and everything they can, just for the sheer thrill of having taken a life. The bloodlust truly appalls me. (How many of them are xtians would be interesting to know.) But like most people here, and to my eternal shame, I don’t do anything whatsoever to upset the status quo other than mutter ‘c**t’ every time I see a hunt. So I do admire the people of Boulder for making a stand against those who think that wildlife was put on this planet by god so we could kill it for fun.

14. Marky Mark says:

If the Elk was injured, it was not only in pain but could be dangerous. Than the shooting would be justified and since they immediately took it to be butchered it most likely fed people in need… So, the vigil should have been similar to what our Native Indians use to do, is thank the Elk for its meat to support the life of the tribe.

As for the abortion woman…I have nothing to say except we must start to control our populations…and Christians like her are not helping since they all seem to have ten children.

Thanks for the info DAZ…I thought that may be the case after posting.

BROGA–great start up scheme!!! ‘Holy Soylient Green’ it should sell well in some of the starving countries. In fact make it a charity to give it away to starving people. That is really doing some good for the world! Twice over! ;-}

But MARKY these people do not worry about the future of the world as it dont matter because ya know Cheeses is Coming!! SOOON! well at least someday.

16. Buffy says:

Typical morons who can’t tell the difference between born life and a clump of cells. They have no problem mowing down dozens of living creatures with semi-automatic weapons, or letting thousands of born humans die for lack of food/medical care/homes because they’re “taxed enough already”. But they go apeshit over the notion of a woman having a medical procedure to have a cluster of cells removed from her uterus because that’s a “precious life” that deserves to live at all costs.

17. Trevor Blake says:

Yes, those evil embryology textbooks! Don’t they know what all Christians know – life begins before conception! Ephesians 1:4 makes it plain God knew us all, individually, before we were conceived.

18. charlie says:

This “woman”, and I use quotes as I wonder about her “personhood”, is disgusting. Her bitching about the people who held a gathering/vigil for the dead elk is about par for xtians. Remember, their holly bibble tells them that their gawd gave them dominion over ALL the earth and ALL the creatures that dwell on, in, and under it (the waters).
    Her crap on abortion is just sick. Where are these “pro-lifers” once the child is born? How many of them adopt the unwanted children, who else wise may have been aborted? Funny how we never see or hear of these “good” xtians ever adopting the cildren who are unwanted by mothers who would have aborted them> No, these self righteous xtians will go to some foreign country and steal a child to show off how they are “doing gawds’ work” and all that crap.
    OT, but why should I do gawds’ work? He/she/it never di my work for me. Also, this xtian gawd has actually “worked” according to their own book, about 2 weeks MAX! Six days to create “all” and then a few hours or less at various times during other “old testament” fairy tale times. So, why should I, or anybody, do “gawds’ work”? I say, let him/her/it do its own damn work.

19. OurSally says:

Don’t call those people “pro-life”, they’re not.

Call them “anti-choice” or just “anti-sex”. They oppose any support for babies when they are actually born, or their mothers. They oppose contraception programmes which would reduce the number of abortions. They oppose sex-education in schools. Some of them oppose abortion even in cases of rape or incest.

What they really want is to stop people having sex unless they are married heteros who intend to have a baby. Everyone else should stop all that icky sticky copulation stuff. It seems their gawd says so. Well, they say he says so, so it must be true.

More from Ireland; and don’t forget where so many Americans originated:

My local fundie Christian has a very USA take on population. She thinks “there can never be too many people” because God put us all here with “immortal souls.” She is also convinced that as God has given us the earth and “all that therein is” we are entitled to slaughter any animals we want, raze the forests and fish the seas empty as it is all there for us. God, apparently, has arranged it so that we will not “exceed the limits he in his wisdom” has set.

I usually meet her when she is taking her dog (one of these little hairy little terrier types) for a walk and we never quarrel because she never hears what I say but merely repeats what she knows. Despite her readiness to slaughter all the animal and fish life on earth she spoils her little dog rotten. This morning it was wearing a little tartan jacket. She thinks TfTD which “I wouldn’t miss for anything” as the the most profound wisdom. She cleans a local church and does the church flowers which she regards as serving God. The biggest event of her life is when the vicar visits her as he is “a truly wonderful man.”

22. RabbitOnAStick says:

Broga you should start a conversation with the dog. It sounds that it might be a bit more intelligent.

Broga: I am well-acquainted with such arguments. “God”, who “knows the end from the beginning”, will not allow mankind to overpopulate the earth:

BTW Anyone else watching Stargazing Live on BBC” this week? Great stuff!

Broga, I’ll feel sorry for you having to deal with such an ignorant person. No matter how much evidence, logic and reason is used to negate their beliefs, these fundies ignore it because no effort [or much intelligence] is required to happily wallow in a supernatural induced stupor.

barriejohn. Stargazing Live. Quite good for a popular science programme. I hope it encourages people to look beyond religious dogma and consider the fact that our planet and the human race is rather insignificant.

26. Stephen Mynett says:

Broga, I remember talking to my sister about environmental issues and doing what we could to stop greenhouse gasses etc and her saying that she thought it was arrogant of man to try to do god’s work. What chance have we got with people of this sort of mentality.

Angela_K: It’s the studio discussion that I enjoy, and once again it’s encouraging to see how young some of the viewers are who are sending in very searching questions. (I don’t doubt for one moment that most are genuine. My niece’s daughter of almost seven has a reading age of eleven!). Nice, too, to see that Prof Cox continues to make it clear that loony views will not be accommodated. I love his attitude – “We won’t be considering conspiracy theories re the Mars landings, so don’t bother”!

@Stephen Myett: I only meet this woman every few months or so. She drives to my neck of the woods (literally) to walk her little hound which she never lets off the lead. Coming to this site makes me realise that there are many with similar views to her. I used to think I had met a rareity. Far from it, it seems.

There are oddities in our infrequent encounters in that when we do meet she greets me as if we were in agreement. This despite my stating, every time we do meet, why her views are absurd. I once asked her if she had ever read anything by Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens. She had never heard of either. We are confronted her with impregnable ignorance whose only reading seems to be from religious tracts and highly selective interpretations of the bible.

29. RabbitOnAStick says:

It is not so surprising she may not have heard of Dawkins or Hitchens, Certainly Hitchens was a niche intellect. Despite being in the US.

Dawkins has been around for a long time but I don’t know how much ‘popular’ exposure he may have had on US TV or the literary circles that don’t have Dr Suess or 50 shades of grey in its top ten.

That clown Scott was stupid enough to mention he had to ‘google’ yahweh. But then he is supernatural so i can understand why.

30. Stephen Mynett says:

Perhaps my sister and Broga’s dog-walker would enjoy Jesus and Mo this week: http://www.jesusandmo.net/

@Stephen Mynett: I think the woman would like Jesus and Mo because she would extract her own meaning from it and blank out everything else. And if I showed it to her she would assume I was a true believer.

32. jay says:

Wingnuts vs wingnuts. Gotta love it.

Do these people realize how dangerous a bull elk can be around humans, especially if injured?

33. Caula says:

Jay
    Why care? Based on the above comments we could use a lot less humans – especially the already-born kind. Maybe the elk could take out a few. It’s so arrogant to think the elk should be prevented from injuring or killing humans. In fact – it would seem like fair turnabout.