Quelle tragédie! Pork DNA found in halal prison food

Quelle tragédie! Pork DNA found in halal prison food

THE first news item that caught my eye after I returned from a wonderful birthday dinner of roast goat’s cheese salad followed by delicious pork ribs yesterday was a BBC report about all the handwringing that’s been going on the UK following the discovery of pig DNA found in food served to Muslim prison inmates.

allah-provides

Editor of the Muslim News, Ahmed Versi, is quoted as saying:

This is very serious because no Muslim would ever eat pork meat – anything to do with pork – and it must be very distressing for those in prison who have been given this meat to realise they may have been eating food which was contaminated with pig.

Ironically, Versi recently had his arsed kicked for contaminating Muslim News by featuring a picture of a pig in a report about an apparent hate crime at a Texas mosque.

An angry reader wrote:

I am sure that non-muslims and muslims know what a pig looks like. Therefore, was it absolutely necessary to publish the story about the Texan mosque with a picture of that animal? The story was fine by itself and did not require the photo. We are continually telling our children to a avoid reading books, or watching tv programmes about this animal as well as being careful about what they eat. My whole family were shocked that a muslim newspaper should publish such a photo. Please be more sensitive to your readers in future.

At any rate, the Ministry of Justice is to suspend a firm supplying meat to prisons after tests found that it may have provided pies and pasties described as halal – but with traces of pork DNA.

Many Muslims will be disappointed that “suspend” in this case does not mean hanging the miscreants.

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) said the local authority involved was investigating, while the MoJ said the products have been withdrawn.

Justice minister Jeremy Wright said the incident was:

Absolutely unacceptable.

He added that the Prison Service was investigating the incident:

Steve Wearne, an FSA director, said it had called an urgent meeting “of a range of suppliers” on Monday where it would:

Stress again the responsibility of all food businesses to ensure the food that they sell contains what it says on the label.

The MoJ said it had commissioned tests after the “recent high profile incidents” in which beefburgers sold by some supermarket chains were found to contain horsemeat.

Juliet Lyon, director of the Prison Reform Trust charity, said:

This lapse will have offended and distressed high numbers of Muslim prisoners and their families so apologising, suspending the supplier and investigating the incident are the right steps for the Ministry of Justice to take.

Note: The number of young Muslim men in youth jails in England and Wales rose by more than a quarter last year, according to recent figures.

One in five males (21 percent) in young offender institutions (YOIs) identified themselves as Muslim in 2011/12, compared with 13 percent in 2009/10 and 16 percent in 2010/11, the annual review of children and young people in custody showed.

halal1

Meanwhile, it is reported from Malaysia that the Crystal Crown Hotel has signboards erected next to three elevators which state that only “halal” goods can be transported in the lifts. The Islamic Consumer Association of Malaysia (PPIM) had an explanation:

The hotel definitely will do everything they can to prevent losing their halal certification as it would mean a huge loss of business for them.

Hat tip: Agent Cormac & Pete H.

39 Responses to “Quelle tragédie! Pork DNA found in halal prison food”

1. Glen says:

All that fuss over absolutely nothing. Catering to peoples wants based on culturally endorsed delusions and the scriptures that come from them is a total waste of time. The extent to which people have to apologise just because a select group choose not to like a food is ludicrous especially if they’re in prison. You still encourage your children to eat their greens unless of course they have food neophobia which I doubt the entire Muslim faith group suffers from. Just another example of privilege based on belief.

2. archaeopteryx says:

Did Allah/Jehovah (delete according to unsupported belief) create pigs or not? If so, what was it thinking of?

3. asquith says:

Put them on a vegetarian diet. Then, if they whinge for halal food, they’ll have to forego eating burgers, but also will be spared pork. I don’t advocate being a complete cunt towards prisoners (as happens in most Muslim countries) so I don’t think they should be made to eat pork, but this strikes me as a remarkable idea no one could complain about. You can actually eat quite good vegetarian meals, even if you’re a carnivore you can have a break and it won’t do you any harm.

4. Chadoflittlefaith says:

As an ardent atheist I couldn’t give a flying fuck what I eat, at least fom a religious perspective. However, as a modern, sophisticated society it should not be beyond our ability to ensure that our prison foods meet the requirements of our inmates where these requirements are not deemed unreasonable. Having said that, to my mind, this error is no worse than making a vegetarian risotto with chicken stock.

5. Barry Duke says:

6. asquith says:

Only one MP, as far as I know, is prepared to call for compulsory labelling of halal meat as such. And he’s a conservative twat. They can’t even talk about it.

7. Graham Martin-Royle says:

What Barry Duke said. Neither halal nor kosher (funny how it’s only muslim prisoners that are being apologised to, or are there no jewish criminals?) meat should be on offer at any government institution. Further, the practise of halal/kosher butchering should be outlawed and the importation of halal/kosher meat should be outlawed as well. Neither has a place in a civilised society, which we pretend to be.

8. the Woggler says:

Am I the only one who finds this story amusing?

9. Matt Westwood says:

“As a matter of urgency. This is an absolutely unacceptable situation and one which we regret greatly. Clearly this must be distressing for those affected and they can be reassured we are doing everything we can to resolve the situation.”

Translation: “Shut the fuck up and eat your fucking bacon.”

10. Matt Westwood says:

@Woggler: No, you most certainly are not alone. I’ve just pissed your pants laughing.

11. RP says:

@the woggler. Your not the only one mate, I find this hilarious and at the same time I’m angry that there is going to be so much money wasted on investigations etc. I’m fed up with all this rubbish, people should have all there rights taken away when they go to prison otherwise what’s the point. You don’t eat pork? Fish? Crunchy Nut Cornflakes? Go hungry then and maybe try not to break the law to the point of imprisonment next time. Fair enough if your a normal law abiding citizen that’s Muslim and this was McDonald’s for example and your eating pork in burgers that claim to be Halal then fair play, but that’s not the case. I say feed people in prison whatever is the cheapest option so we can get tax rates down.

12. JohnMWhite says:

I’m more amused by the story about the photograph of a pig causing such consternation. I can think of no greater example of the childish nature of religious prohibitions. What possible purpose could it serve to avoid Porky Pig cartoons? Such people surely cannot function in the real world if they think an object and a picture of that object are one and the same.

The Press are a bit quiet about the rest of us unwittingly eating meat slaughtered by a barbaric method; we don’t know because our supine Government and EU won’t allow labelling of food with halal/kosher content. I want to know that what I eat has had a decent life and not suffered. We have a Government that on one hand legislates for good animal welfare but on the panders to the dietary whim of religious extremists – and I include both of the pork dodging religions. The pork avoidance came about because pork goes bad very quickly in hot countries, all before the invention of the refrigerator. Neither the Koran or the Torah explicitly forbid the eating of pork.

As for the prisoners: they should have obeyed the law so as not to be imprisoned; they could be fed bread and water only as punishment.

14. RP says:

@Angela K. Not that I don’t agree with most of what you say, definately regarding the slaughter of animals and prisoners rights but unfortunately your incorrect about the Koran, it directly forbids the consumption of swine at least 4 times. But that said the Bible also forbids eating pork.

15. jay says:

I find this comparable to the idiocy we have regarding archeological sites. When we have to get shamans to perform purification ceremonies and rebury 14,000 year old bones (who certainly have no relationship to ANY living native American) just to appease some bizarre superstition.

[I get the feeling this is some kind of 'liberal guilt' about atoning for the mistreatment of natives by US citizens years ago... The vast majority of native Americans by now have blended into our society both culturally and in bloodlines. It's time to stop this craziness.]

16. Buffy says:

I, too, am more amused by the idiots who are outraged over merely seeing an image of a pig.

I’m a vegetarian so I get irritated when I eat out and get meat in a dish when I’ve specifically asked for it to be omitted. I also have certain medical issues that require me to avoid certain things (alcohol, caffeine, excessive sodium) so when I ask a server if something contains one of those ingredients I depend on them to know. I can understand the consternation of people who have dietary restrictions and don’t have their needs honored by others.

That being said, I’m not as accommodating when the person’s reason is merely “my imaginary friend said so”, and particularly when the person is a criminal who has been locked up because s/he’s a criminal. I’m the first person to fight for the basic rights of prisoners (adequate health care, avoiding excessive punishment, ensuring they have adequate nutrition, etc) as they’re still human beings, but to me going overboard to accommodate religious nuttery is a bit much.

17. Pete H says:

“Contaminated with pig”?

What better proof of the fact that god doesn’t exist than the fact they they claim he doesn’t want us to eat bacon?

1st how did they find pig DNA? and Why where they looking???
    If it was the islames looking for the DNA then the hypocrisy is hip deep…..DNA is a part of genetics which is about evilution which they reject so how can they be using this science and believing its results? Hypocrites!!!!
    The really stupid part is …..” it must be very distressing for those in prison who have been given this meat to realise they may have been eating food which was contaminated with pig.”….
    Well they were feeling just fine until some nitwits opened their mouths and told them!!!!
    You cant find pig DNA if you dont look for it!! Dimwits!
    They should be happy to get decent food and if they dont like it stay out of prison or go with out eating as it is their PERSONAL problem. Starve! please do, it is called ‘voluntary reduction of prison population.’

19. Marky Mark says:

(We are continually telling our children to a avoid reading books, or watching tv programmes about this animal)

…so the “Three Little Piggys” children’s book is not read to Muslim children at bedtime?
    No wonder why they hate us so much…We don’t hate pigs, or kill our sisters should they disgrace our family by speaking their mind.

20. Great Satan says:

I find this rather amusing ! – perhaps if these prisoners want a culturally muslim atmosphere in prison they could be sent to serve their term in a muslim country ?….

21. Matt Westwood says:

In short: If you don’t want to eat things you haven’t personally selected for yourself, then do all you can to ensure that you do not end up banged up in the slammer.

(I appreciate that this does a disservice to people who are in jail for political reasons – but I would opine that in those circumstances, worrying about the purity and integrity of your diet should be low down on your list of priorities.)

Great Satan: Why not accommodate them by introducing sharia punishments as well? All hands lopped off for a start; that should please the buggers!

PS What I should have said, I suppose, is: “Why not go the whole hog?” Hahahahaha!!!!!

The real reason pigs are so hated by religious people is that pigs are all atheists to a trotter. They were the world’s first heretics and non-believers. They proclaimed the first Atheist Republic in 1066 in the south of England. At the start of the Middle Ages pigs began smashing religious idols and shitting on the altars of christian churches and so they were the real cause of the Spanish Inquisition. They were also the first to see the truth of the Scientific Enlightenment and they conducted many experiments into disproving the spontaneous generation of life and thus the ultimate debunking of god’s existance. Some also say that pigs are really behind the Higg’s Boson so recently discovered. The list goes on. And that’s why religious folk don’t like piggies – because they are really intimidated by the pigs’ superior intelligence.

1859: Methinks you’re telling porkers!

Why do we pander to the infantile sensibilities of these idiots? They’re in prison FFS!

27. RabbitOnAStick says:

Look at the underlying hatred in this statement. The intolerance. The hidden fury.
    “I am sure that non-muslims and muslims know what a pig looks like. Therefore, was it absolutely necessary to publish the story about the Texan mosque with a picture of that animal?”

what on earth do these facile pathetic moron’s think will happen if they see a picture of a pig? will their head’s explode. I wish – I wish.

as to eating pork. Archeologically only one hill top joo settlement did not have pig bones in it’s midens or waste pits.No one knows why.

I know lot’s of mus0slams that love bacon.

i bet they eat shrimp or shell fish and rabbit and cows. They all either eat their own shit or stuff like shit.

28. John A says:

Barry Duke: Ritually slaughtered animal products have no place at all in UK prisons. Ditto hospitals and schools and other institutions. Halal and Kosher products should be banned in ALL non-Muslim, non-Jewish countries.

I absolutely agree 100% It’s an utter disgrace that such a disgusting barbaric practise is condoned and allowed in any civilised country.

29. sailor1031 says:

Other than in a laboratory how do you tell pig DNA from other DNA? And how do you isolate pig DNA so you can contaminate other foods with it? Fiendishly clever these british butchers….

30. charlie says:

I cannot imagine how looking at a picture, photograph, or drawing of a pig can upset any sane human being. Does this make these Muslims insane? I think ALL religion requires a degree of insanity to believe in them.
    Who knew it would be so easy to defeat any Muslim or by extention a Muslim army, just advance towards them holding photos of piggies. Wow, amazing……………now to get the Pentagon to try it out….LOLMAO

31. James B says:

Outrage as muslims find they have eaten an animal that was killed humanely.

32. Nelmonster says:

@L.Long,
    They were originally searching for horse DNA in the products as brought about by the previous furure, and found…piggy!
    Haha, I’m still tickled by it now.
    Does it mean that they are no longer ‘pure’ muslims?

@Nelmonster—Why looking for Horsey DNA? What’s wrong with eating horsey??? Hell I’ve eaten Black Beauty, Porky, Bugsy, Bambi’s Mom & Dad, Smokey, Mickey, Donald, as well as creepy stuff from the sea, assorted bugs, and most everything else. Its all good. BUT I will never eat Halal or Kosher slaughtered food.
    I may be a disgusting carnivore but needless suffering for some religidiot reason is too disgusting for mere words.

34. JamesB says:

If you can’t eat the swine, don’t do the crime

What do you call a pig prophet?

Mo-HAM-ed, of course! OOOOoooooo…that was bad…..

36. John c says:

No mention of spit or semen in the food though, i guess the prison kitchens are improving.

37. Linfitlad says:

Hey Buffy

You missed out ” violent anal rape in the showers”

I’m with the majority here, they can either eat it, or starve, either way I dont give a fuck about their beliefs.

38. @’Angela_K’ is almost right.
    If you happened to live in the Middle East at the time when the Abrahamic religions first started, you wouldn’t knowingly eat anything that came from a pig either. You would most likely die of Trichinosis from eating pork – and die horribly, especially if the meat was undercooked or raw. The prohibition on consuming pork was essentially a public health measure subsumed and exaggerated by the prevailing religions.
    Xtians have dropped their particular religious aversion to eating pork as it became safer to do so. The Trichinosis parasite does not do as well in temperate climates such as in Europe where tribal peoples had eaten pork relatively safely since at least the Neolithic. Moreover, cooking pork adequately solves the infection problem, and sufficient cooking tends to be practiced more readily in cooler climates – since you always need a fire going anyway. Picture the tasty pork stew with vegetables being slow cooked in a big pot over the fire for a week.
    As Xtianity took hold in Europe, like with so much of the original pre-existing culture of the region (e.g. Easter and Xmas seasonal festivals), pork consumption was simply melded into religious practice.
    Now we’re stuck with archaic religious lunacy over-riding common sense. However @’the Woggler’ does have a point – it is all rather amusing.