Walter Slonopas is haunted by the number 666

Walter Slonopas is haunted by the number 666

MEET Walter Slonopas, 52. He surrendered his brain to Jesus about ten years ago, and the fool now lives in fear of the number 666.

So much so that he quit his job after his employers at a Clarksville, Tennessee, company gave him a W-2 tax form stamped with the ‘demonic’ number.

The maintenance worker left Contech Casting LLC, saying he did so to save his soul.

Slonopas said that after getting the W-2, he could either go to work or go to hell.

If you accept that number, you sell your soul to the devil.

Bob LaCourciere, Vice President of sales and marketing for the Revstone Corp, which owns Contech Casting, said that Slonopas’ W-2 was labeled with 666 by the company that handles Contech’s payroll. It refers to the order in which the forms were mailed out, he said.

According to this report, this isn’t the first time that the 666 has caused Slonopas trouble at work.

During his first day on the job in April 2011, he was supposed to be assigned the number 668 to use when he clocked in. But the human resources department gave hin 666 instead. Slonopas complained and was given a new number.

In July 2011, the company changed time clock systems, and once again Slonopas got 666. This time he quit. The company apologised and he returned to work a few days later.

This latest incident with the W-2 baffled company LaCourciere. He could not believe it had happened again.

I am completely at a loss for words.

The number 666 first appears in chapter 13 of the New Testament book of Revelation, which describes a satanic figure called the beast or Antichrist who takes over the world and stamps everyone with a mark bearing the number 666.

According to Revelation, no one will be able to buy or sell anything without that number stamped on them.

That’s caused people to fear anytime that number pops up, said Jay Phelan, senior professor of theological studies at North Park University in Chicago.

It’s seen as a very dangerous number.

For idiots such as Slonopas, who take the book of Revelation literally, any tie to 666 is a betrayal of their faith. Phelan said he understands why Slonopas quit.

It’s a desire to be loyal to his faith and to not be identified with the Antichrist. The company ought to find a way to cut him some slack.

The number has caused problems for at least one other worker in the past. In 2011, a factory worker from Georgia named Billy Hyatt sued his former employer after he was fired for refusing to wear a sticker with 666 on it. The sticker referred to the number of accident-free days he’d had on the job.

LaCourciere said the firm planned to mail thee silly Slonopas a new W-2, in a plain envelope. The company also wants to rehire him. Said LaCourciere:

We’d love to have him back.

Hat tip: DC Brighton

44 Responses to “Only fools and Christians: ‘Born-again’ Tennessee man quits job over 666 tax code”

1. tony e says:

His former company stated ‘We’d love to have him back.’

Trust me, take this opportunity to get rid of him, because, as history has shown countless times, the moment you start to make allowances for their petty beliefs, they always demand more.

Cut him loose.

2. DCBrighton says:

He now sells golf clubs online. I’ve just placed an order with him for these beauties.

3. Technically, the number of the beast is 616: Papyrus 115 and Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus (C; Paris, one of the four great uncial codices) reads the number of the beast in (13:18) as 616.

So not only is this person a fool, they also don’t know their theology.

4. Mike says:

His employers definitely dodged a bullet there.

Get well soon, Walter.

5. Stephen Mynett says:

I have often wondered why the 999 emergency phone number used here is not used in America. I now realise it is to help christians who may be hanging upside down when their house is on fire.

6. John A says:

Credit where it’s due, whoever performed the lobotomy didn’t leave much of a scar. Having said that of course, poor old Walter Slonopas is still absolutely bonkers!

7. Pete H says:

There’s actually a name for this nonsense – Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia.

8. Daz says:

Thanks to Windows™ Calculator, I can tell you that the number to really worry about is 2176782336. (6^6)^6.

This reminded me of one of those “in other news” items I heard years ago. Some vicar or priest or summat refused to baptise a child “Damien,” ’cause he’d seen The Omen

9. remigius says:

So he forced himself out of a job because of his religious beliefs.

He’s persecuting himself!

10. ZombieHunter says:

Apparently 666 isn’t the number of the beast after all and it turns out it’s 616

either way I bet this guy doesn’t own any iron maiden albums :P

11. Daz says:

ZombieHunter

Did you catch this link from that article? Amazing!

It’s not like I’m one of Charlie-boy’s biggest fans or owt, but, blimey! And anyway, according to 2 John 1:7, the antichrist, singular, isn’t even correct:

For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

12. TrickyDicky says:

I once knew a met copper whose shoulder number was 666, he was the tallest copper in K division.

I pointed out the relevance of 666 to him but he said it looked like 999 to him

Sick, sick, sick.

14. DCBrighton says:

Another Christian that needs locking up for his own sanity:

DCBrighton

Maybe the loon got his idea from this.

16. Sally says:

So many idiots, so little WEB space. Does he get to file for unemployment if he quits? Or will he sue them? And why on earth do they want him back?

17. jay says:

When my wife was getting her new phone number, they asked if 666 exchange was ok. Her answer was “I WANT it “. (Her family are devout Baptist–she had become atheist by way of passing through Wicca)

I was raised JW. If there is ONE thing that really scares them, it’s ‘demons ‘. If you want to get rid of them at your door, just answer holding some occult looking object. Obviously they have limited faith in their God.

18. DCBrighton says:

Sally, the report says he’s now selling Golf Clubs online from his son’s home.

His wife said they live frugally and God will take care of them.

19. Stephen Mynett says:

Jay, I agree about anything occultish, although if I have time and in the mood for an argument, I enjoy asking them why they want to kill me, pointing out haemophilliacs cannot live without blood products. There have been varied nonsensical responses but mostly a backing away in case I pervert any of the young minds with them, the JWs round here always seem to bring the family with them.

20. The Woggler says:

No, Charles Windsor is not the anti-christ. He’s just a very silly man.

Charles Windsor seems a bit too flaccid, wet and unfocussed to be the anti-christ. Anyway, hasn’t that role already been taken. I thought Mr Ian Paisley had identified the Pope as the anti-christ. Mr Paisley, when we had the benefit of his rants, was usually greeted with sepulchral reverence by the BBC as Dr Paisley. Paisley love that. You could tell by the smugness in his voice. I think he picked up the Dr bit from the ridiculous Bob Jones college.

I also knew a rabid Scots Protestant years ago who referred to the Pope as “the curse of God.” So the competition for these titles is considerable and I don’t think Charles is a front runner.

22. Stonyground says:

If you follow DC Brighton’s link, the comments under the story are amusing. Someone mentions aliens and the theists are straight on his case for believing in aliens but not God.

23. RabbitOnAStick says:

This faith business is so strong isn’t it. It’s truly remarkable. Faith in what.

Astonishing that people say they ‘understand’ him.
    How? what is there to understand?
    The man’s a total wanker.
    He hasn’t even identified the correct number.

And here we are, 2013, seriously a grown man, afraid of a number.
    Oh dear. What is the world coming to.

They’ll be believing fairy stories next. Talking Ken’s, a loonie-lennie. Hamdullah.

Oh! …. wait a… a … minute……

It was a habit amongst the devout evangelical Christians (of which there were many) amongst the Great Western railway workers to paint giant religious texts etc on their garden and allotment sheds, when in view of passing trains. The sheds were often old railway carriages and wagons themselves – but legally acquired, I’m sure!

Best illustration that I could find, but some of you must have seen them in the past!

25. T says:

I have to say “Well done” to the joker in HR who thought up this excellent way of off loading a superstitious fool.

26. asquith says:

If faithhead conservatives lose their jobs for religious reasons, does that mean they have to vilify themselves for being “skivers”/”shirkers”?

27. asquith says:

28. Sabrina P says:

You know how entertaining this would be every few years just throw 666 out at this guy and he becomes crazed. I’d keep hiring him just to keep proving his faith, but then again I’m mean.

29. Stonyground says:

“Billy Hyatt could have solved his problems by hideously mutilating himself on some machinery. then he wouldn’t have had 666 accident-free days. Sorted.”

Or just waited a day untill it was 667.

666 seems to come up on uk car number plates and I have seen quite a few newish cars with an old style plate with 666 in it. This means that people are choosing them as personalised plates. For any non-Brits, the rule is that you can transfer an existing number but not create your own, so any interesting combinations of letters and numbers that occur naturally can become quite valuable. Mostly I tend to think that personalised plates are a bit gitty but there are exceptions. I used to regularly encounter a Toyota pickup that was being used as a real workhorse judging by its battered state, the number plate was M4MUK. I have also seen a Jaguar XJ12 with the plate V12JAG.

30. Nelmonster says:

Couldn’t help but giggle like a child on reading this.
    As I read through the story, it began to make more and more sense. It isn’t by chance that this poor, tortured man keeps encountering all of these 666’s, oh no!
    Given such an oppurtunity, how could any devious wind up merchant resist such an open goal? I wouldn’t be able to stop myself.
    My bad? :-)

I knew Christians who, when viewing a second-hand car, always added up the numerals on the number plate to see whether they produced an “auspicious” number or not. But they were in no way superstitious – oh, no, sir!

32. Nelmonster says:

PS,
    Doesn’t he know that 3 is the magic number?
    I can imagine the huge, childish grin and barely stifled giggles on the face of the chap from W2 as he spluttered out the words, “we’d love to have him back”.
    I bet they would!

33. Matt Westwood says:

Had a mate got an RS with the number plate L33 TRS which apparently means something to leet-speakers.

As for 666, it needs to be pointed out that it is the 36th triangular number, and therefore is the total of all the numbers in a 6×6 magic square.

There’s a taxi firm round our way whose number is (or used to be till they changed them) 660666 which reads “six sixty six sixty six” kinda knocking your paltry little 666 into a feeble little bucket.

Was a time when my circle of friends would latch onto 666 wherever we found it – pinned up on our kitchen wall was “Behold – the grocery bill of the beast: £6.66″ (yes it was a long time ago). Happy days.

34. jay says:

“There is, I’m sure, a person in his company with a sense of humour just like mine.”

Well best to keep very quiet. With our absurd labor laws, that could fuel a major lawsuit.

Look what I’ve found everyone!

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

36. DCBrighton says:

Stonyground, the commentators on The Argus website may have been rejected by the Daily Mail as being too right wing.

Take for example:
    MARRIAGE IS FOR CHRISTIANS! IF YOUR GAY….YOUR CERTAINLY NOT CHRISTIAN….!!!! Isn’t civil partnership enough??? If one of you pass atleast the other still gets what you have! It’s morally wrong for gay people to marry!

37. Marky Mark says:

(Some vicar or priest or summat refused to baptise a child “Damien,” ’cause he’d seen The Omen…)

“Damien” …was actually a catholic priest who helped leopards who were cast away to one of the Hawaiian Islands. Leave it to them to demonize one of the few of their own who actually tried to do good.

38. Stephen Mynett says:

Ratboy had his own take on names a couple of years ago. He was moaning to the Germans about people not using biblical names and taking modern ones.

His classic line was: “Kevin was not a name but a diagnosis”

Link, in German: http://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article12363552/Papst-fordert-eine-Rueckkehr-zu-christlichen-Vornamen.html

39. RabbitOnAStick says:

Barriejohn.
    Fantastic!

So that’s the one true ken.
    you know I did imagine him with a beard.

40. remigius says:

‘…was actually a catholic priest who helped leopards who were cast away to one of the Hawaiian Islands.’

I think it was actually lepers, but your version sounds more exciting.

41. Ian says:

And what a State that’s in:

Wiscon ‘sin’.

42. Stonyground says:

I remember hearing a story about a vicar who tried very hard to talk a couple by the name of Conquest naming their baby Norman. The phrase Norman Conquest didn’t mean anything to them, presumably both of them slept through history classes at school.

43. Marky Mark says:

(I think it was actually lepers, but your version sounds more exciting.)
    …Right, “Lepers”. Seen it after I posted but knew most would know what I meant.