Photo

Photo: Charles Platiau/Reuters

A GROUP of nine women – members of the Ukrainian feminist group Femen – unleashed mayhem at Paris’s Notre Dame Cathedral this week, stripping off and shouting slogans like “Pope No More”, “Bye Bye Benedict” and “No More Homophobe”.

The female activists, calling themselves “provocateurs,” quickly stormed the Notre Dame in long coats, shedding them before dashing to the altar to ring a new set of bronze bells cast for the cathedral’s 850th anniversary this year.

Cathedral security eventually dragged the bare-breasted protestors outside as visitors shouted in displeasure.

The activists said they were also celebrating a bill to legalize same-sex marriage, which was passed by the lower house of the French parliament on Tuesday despite strong opposition from the Catholic Church.

Members of Femen have made headlines for staging topless protests in Russia, France, Ukraine and the UK since 2010.

In early January, the group rallied in front of Benedict’s private apartment in St. Peter’s Square to protest the Roman Catholic Church’s opposition to gay adoption.

Photo:

Photo: Joel Saget/AFP.Getty Images

16 Responses to “Game over: feminists get their kit off at Notre Dame Cathedral to cheer Ratzinger’s resignation”

Well done Femen for taking the fight to the religious – we need more of this type of direct action.

Well done the women. Something seems to have happened to Ratzi already. Now that he is soon to be no longer Pope his descent into the pathetic is well on the way. He will not have his platform for preaching, he will not have a status that makes the gullible regard his presence as the honour of a lifetime and he will not be courted an sought by governments.

The feeble and nasty man was supported by all the panoply of a Pope. Now he is just feeble and nasty and about to be sidelined, incarcerated, and left to his so called prayers and contemplation. These, with him alone, will have a very different effect from his public displays as Pope. He must be regretting his decision already.

3. Trevor Blake says:

As an atheist I agitate for the withering away of all religion under the twin suns of reason and scorn. As an observer in 2013, I note the tolerance with disapproval given to Femen in Christian nations and I predict an entirely different outcome should they ever try the same at Mecca. All religion is awful, some more awful than others.

4. RabbitOnAStick says:

Trevor Blake

Alas women that are not mud-slambs could not get any where near mecca. Or males for that matter. It’s haram.

The women cannot even enter Said Arabia without their husband or male relative etc and then they get kept inside compounds as it’s almost illegal to go out, and they wouldn’t be able to get to mecca at all unless they were muds-lambs.

Oh and they certainly couldn’t drive themselves there. Women driving being illegal.

5. Sultan Aman says:

Great News.

I am an Ex-Muslim, now atheist. It makes me happy to witness more liberation and respect given to women. As humanity progresses we shall see more rationality and with it a better observation for human rights and dignity.

I am reminded though at the same time of how many parts of the world still struggling under tyrant systems such as Shariah Laws.

One of the many reasons that made me leave islam is the cruelty of its laws. It deforms all the solid human rights foundations we have established here in the West. A thorough observation into the shariah systems in the Middle East and in particular in countries such as Saudi Arabia, Iran and the so on makes you realise just how bad it could get.

We must appreciate what we have here and expand our values and not do the opposite.

6. […] Game over: feminists get their kit off at Notre Dame Cathedral to cheer Ratzinger’s resignation. […]

7. Matt Westwood says:

Tits out for the atheists! (Sorry, could not resist.)

BTW women *can* get into Saudi. Or at least, they could 20 years ago when I was there. There are female military personnel, which kindof upset the religious police. And Western (European and Australian mostly) nurses are employed, single or not, although they live in female-only hostels.

8. miker says:

What is wrong with their breasts?

9. remigius says:

Talk about double standards!

They flash their tackle in a church and it’s “Oooh – Well done. Ain’t they briliiant”. Yet when I do it…

10. RabbitOnAStick says:

Matt

it was this i was responding to.

They’d not get to Mecca.
    ” I note the tolerance with disapproval given to Femen in Christian nations and I predict an entirely different outcome should they ever try the same at Mecca. “

11. John B. says:

I think that protesting topless is one of the best strategies anti-religious activists can take. I have noticed their effort in various mass-media and they just made my day better by showing their breasts as well as protesting against Pope and his sick church filled with old and not very good looking men.

On the other hand, holding a negative protest is not the only way. It is also great to promote the positive side of your cause. I would name The 30-Day Vegan Challenge for veganism with beautiful photos and happiness all over.

I feel that the end of Church influence over public matters in Europe is coming to an end and I´m happy to be a part of our ever growing atheist family.

12. Dokkodo says:

Here comes the new Pope, same as the old Pope.

13. Marky Mark says:

Ok…though I do see the photos as…interesting. Why go topless? Is this for attention? To offend the strict religious people?
    I would listen to them if they were fully dressed

14. Barry Duke says:

The prissy site that originally published the pics thought best to pixilate them. These women had the courage to bare all in public, but certain parts of the media decided that bare breasts are a no-no. Disgraceful!

Sultan Aman: Well said!

16. John A says:

Well done ‘Femen’! I love the art of protest when it is so effective by drawing immediate and widespread attention to a cause, yet without one person physically hurt.