It’s an outrage! Scary ‘Jesus’ scarecrow upsets Billericay Christians

A GIGANTIC  stuffed figure, complete with a miniature counterpart, has been erected in a Jesus-like pose at the junction of Barleylands Road and Southend Road – and many of the area’s Christians are not happy, according to this report.

Dave Finkle is accused by some of dickering around with Jesus in Billericay

Dave Finkle is accused by some of dickering around with Jesus in Billericay

Assembled in the first week of Lent, the scarecrow, seemingly mounted on a huge cross, has upset a number of the faithful in and around the area.

A mother from Billericay, who refused to give her name, huffed:

I think it’s incredibly distasteful and it is making fun of Jesus.  I drove past the scarecrow with my daughter and she said, ‘Look, Mummy, there’s a man on a cross’ – I don’t think she should see that. It’s an unmistakable crucifix and it’s making a mockery out of my religion.

David Finkle, general manager at Barleylands Farm Park and Craft Village, helped to make the scarecrow and its smaller counterpart to promote the farm’s half-term activities for children.

The giant scarecrow took a team of four people two days to make.

Finkle said:

There does seem to be a difference in opinion and one or two people have said to me that they think it looks like a crucifix but everyone else has been so enthusiastic. He doesn’t have hands or feet with nails through them, he’s made of bailer twine.

He added:

It took us ages to make his giant patchwork jacket and he is complete with raffia hair which changes in the wind. This is my first year here and I love to make stuff like this. I want to bring children’s learning to life and I made the scarecrow so people knew about the Books, Cooks and Scarecrow week we’re holding.

Kids can make scones from scratch and then go out and make their own scarecrows. I think it’s a shame that children don’t do as much outside and we want to change that and bring their learning alive. Everyone talks about the scarecrow, he’s certainly drawn a lot of attention.
He’s a brilliant example of a scarecrow stuffed with straw, we had to put him up with a forklift truck – that was the hardest part of making him.

Not everyone is outraged. Shelly Gunn, 31, from Stansted, is a big fan.

I think it’s fabulous. I got a photo of my two girls with him and we would love to have taken part in the half-term activities if we hadn’t been busy.

But Wendy King, 48, a bank clerk from Great Burstead, said:

I think it’s a bit creepy. I took a second look at it when I drove past – it freaks me out.

Karen Fellows, 50, a medical secretary from Rayleigh, said:

And James Brown, 38, a marketer from Coulter Mews, said:

I don’t have a problem with it. I don’t know why people would find it offensive, it’s just a bit of fun.

Hat tip: Pete H

43 Responses to “It’s an outrage! Scary ‘Jesus’ scarecrow upsets Billericay Christians”

1. Paul Cook says:

It looks like a bunch of crap tied together on a few bits of wood..

Looks like Jesus. Get a life. Thats conditioning and stupidity. These dumb old birds need scaring.

And really is jesus on a cross such an iconic image. Will start a law suit protecting the image.

How do you get a leap of faith of Jesus to scarecrow. wow dude!……Hold on a minute……

2. David Anderson says:

“It’s an unmistakable cricifix and it’s making a mockery out of my religion.”

You said it.

3. David McNerney says:

Time to get offended.

4. CeeKay says:

Was Jesus the only person to be crucified?

“I drove past the scarecrow with my daughter and she said, ‘Look, Mummy, there’s a man on a cross’ – I don’t think she should see that.

So, there aren’t in crucifixes in this woman’s home, then? Or the church that she no doubt compels here child to go to?

6. IikagenBoB says:

OH FFS!!!!!

It’s a traditional looking scarecrow!

Pull your head out of your **** fer crying out loud!

7. The Woggler says:

Just Google ‘Jesus Crucifix Images’ and you’ll see some really scarey images. Yet some people want their kids to admire these images.

8. remigius says:

If it’s still there in 3 days we’ll know it’s not really Jesus.

9. Daz says:

Some people clearly need to put their thinking heads on…

(Showin’ me age, there?)

10. Trevor Blake says:

Summon Seargent Howie!

11. Paul Cook says:

Does any one know the answers but didn’t the Romans actually crucify people with their hands tied behind their backs tied down onto the ‘cross’ (not a cross as like the scarecrow thing and the Jesus image blah blah blah ), and not nail them onto a cross? and the crosses they used were only about six foot tall?

I would have thought in ancient times metal nails were actually expensive and wouldn’t waste them on common criminals.

12. John A says:

Well some people like it, apparently it’s won an award for being outstanding in its field.
    Boom boom!

13. remigius says:

Paul Cook. The crucifee would usually have had their arms tied to the crossbeam, or patibulum, and metal nails were driven through the feet into the upright.

And, contrary to popular belief, it was actually the wood that was in short supply, rather than the nails.

14. Paul Cook says:

hey man thanks. Remiguy

15. Mark O'Leary says:

Once upon a time, most Americans lived in rural areas where scarecrows were common and everybody knew what they were. Oddly, these were often very religious people, and yet none of them ever confused useful agricultural artifacts with religious blasphemy. Today, however, most Americans think meat comes wrapped in plastic from the store, and they readily conflate a useless decorative object (why would you need a scarecrow in February?) with a useless intellectual one.

Mark O’Leary

Billericay is in England.

17. Graham Martin-Royle says:

I quite agree, all those crucifix’s outside church’s should be banned.

18. Robert Stovold says:

Scarecrow upsets bird-brains. Now why am I not surprised?

19. Daz says:

AC

Billericay is in England.

Lemme see now… That’s a county in Iowa, right?

20. Stonyground says:

Modern scarecrows are kites shaped like large birds of prey, they are much more effective. I think they are intended to scare birds generally rather than just crows, crows tend to feed on roadkill.

21. David Anderson says:

Bloody hell! They’ve crucified Boris Johnson.

Yur sure darn right thar, bruthur Daz. The county uv England, just the othur side uv the state line frum Essex (where ma cusin Jess lives), in the glory-to-Jesus state uv Iowa. Amen!

(BTW Mark O’Leary – we are sincerely not taking the piss out of you but out of the very Americans you so rightly criticised. Please don’t let this bit of banter put you off posting again.)

David Anderson

Now THAT is funny!

Sorry – OT again. I was just reading about the trial of ex-minister Chris Huhne’s former wife, Vicky Pryce. As many of you will already know the jury failed to reach a verdict on a charge relating to speeding points she took for him 10 years ago and was dismissed by the judge, Mr Justice Sweeney. Said jury posed 10 questions to the judge, prompting him to raise concerns about their “absolutely fundamental deficits in understanding” of their role and the trial process. Here is one of those questions:

‘Would religious conviction be a good enough reason for a wife feeling that she had no choice, ie she promised to obey her husband in her wedding vows and he had ordered her to do something and she felt she had to obey?’

Does anybody else sense the hand of some crucifix-wearing fundie in there? Someone who has probably reduced the other eleven men and women jurors to tears by bringing their own special brand of ‘morality’ into the proceedings? No wonder they couldn’t reach a verdict if they had some lunatic xtian trying to relate everything in the case to that book of fairy stories more commonly known as the bible.

@AgentCormac: I noticed that. How can anyone get a fair trial with a devout Christian on the jury? The defendent decides to affirm: strike one against already. Whatever he/she says afterwards is going to be viewed through the distorting lens of religion. Didn’t dear Cherie, as in Blair, take a kindly attitude to someone who was a christian?

26. Graham Martin-Royle says:

No Broga, it was a muslim she left off lightly.

27. Matt Westwood says:

Lest we forget: Billericay is where Dickie came from.

28. Stephen Mynett says:

Broga, GMR, this is the amazing thing, christians and muslims will slag each other off, even go to war but when faith is mentioned, they are all on the same side. A wonderful and trustworthy lot.

@Graham Martin-Royle: Many thanks. I wonder what her attitude would have been towards an atheist?

30. Graham Martin-Royle says:

Probably to lock em up & throw away the key.

31. Stephen Mynett says:

Off topic but a good example of religions burying their differences to take on freedom, this is from about three years ago when an undesirable group of religious nutters, from catholic, protestant and islamic groups and backed by a few politoes and celebrities, tried to change the Berlin state education policy.

Unfortunately the article does not mention the islamic involvement, I hope that is a mistake and not lefties try to be PC and not upset their islamic brothers.

Pro Reli: https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2009/05/reli-m07.html

32. Bubblecar says:

“I could see how people would think it looks like a crucifix. It would look quite scary in the dark.”

It’s rather instructive that they admit a crucifix figure is “scary”. But let’s just remind ourselves: this is a smiley scarecrow, whereas the Christian figure is a dead and mutilated body hanging from a cross, with nails through its limbs. Call me perverse, but I find that a good deal more scary and offensive than a scarecrow.

33. Marky Mark says:

(whereas the Christian figure is a dead and mutilated body hanging from a cross, with nails through its limbs. Call me perverse, but I find that a good deal more scary and offensive than a scarecrow.)
    …The one in our church had plenty of blood dripping off it as well. And that was acceptable for small children to see.

34. oldfoxbob says:

It seems its ok for the Christians to make fun of, or to deny non Christians their religion and icons yet one case like this and its suddenly they are being persecuted and made a mockery of…Bull shit…go to a Catholic church and see all the crucifixes with dead men on it.

35. JohnMWhite says:

Jesus Tapdancing Christ it’s a scarecrow. What is wrong with people?

36. Robster says:

If I was a crow, I’d be more scared of the baby jesus nailed to a cross than a regular scare crow. But this one is without a crown of thorns, most of the dead bloke on a stick models found in all the churches have the thorn crown thingy on the dead magic jew’s head, so the whinging christians are whinging up the wrong tree.

37. Dave H says:

If they only had a brain. Like Clever Trevor.

38. charlie says:

Dave H,
    IF they had brain, they would not belong to any religion.

39. DCBrighton says:

Two planks of wood nailed together make Christians a little cross.

40. […] Southend Road – and many of the area’s Christians are not happy, according to this report. http://freethinker.co.uk/2013/02/20/its-an-outrage-scary-jesus-scarecrow-upsets-billericay-christian… Tweet VN:F [1.9.22_1171]adding your feedback…Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes […]

41. charles jaggers says:

People will read into it what they want to. Christians are thin skinned and see everything as a threat to their delusion.

42. […] Read It’s an outrage! Scary ‘Jesus’ scarecrow upsets Billericay Christians […]