CARDINAL Jorge Urosa Sabino, Archbishop of Venezuela, who is in the Vatican to participate in the conclave to appoint a new pope,  announced that he will celebrate in Rome:

A public Mass to pray for the eternal repose of President Chávez.

Hugo Chávez

Hugo Chávez

This, despite the fact that Chávez, who died this week aged 58, had a major falling out with the Church a few years back.

According to this report,  in 2008, he called Cardinal Urosa “a troglodyte” and warned the Vatican that, as long as the cardinal remained as archbishop of Caracas:

I will remain very far away from the Church.

That same year, in one of his weekly, hours-long telecasts, Chávez said that the Pope:

Is no ambassador of Jesus on earth, because the true Jesus is in the people and in those of us who fight for justice and the liberation of the meek.

Chávez had once been close to the Church, but after his re-election in 2000, as he became more popular, he also became more eager to control different branches of power.

The Venezuelan bishops, worried that Chavez’ power-grabbing maneuvers could mean the end of South America’s longest democracy, started criticising some of his decisions.

Chávez’ reaction was brutal. He redirected all state funds traditionally sent to Church institutions that helped the poor and provided free education to newly created state-run “revolutionary” alternatives.

But in 2011 Chávez was diagnosed as having cancer. Although his ailment’s nature and gravity were never revealed, “a visibly bald and swollen Comandante returned in April from secretive cancer treatment in Cuba, requesting a Mass at the Venezuelan shrine of El Nazareno”.

In front of the shrine’s centuries-old crucifix, Chávez pleaded:

God don’t take me away now. I have much to do for this people. Give me your crown, Jesus; give me your crown since I am ready to bleed. Give me your cross, a hundred crosses, and I will carry them; but please give me life.

It was also known that Venezuela’s foreign office lobbied hard to get Ratzinger to privately and confidentially bless Chávez during this 2012 trip to Cuba. The meeting never happened.

That same year, during Holy Week, Chávez requested a Mass and anointing of the sick from Cardinal Urosa. During the Mass, Chávez read the first reading and said:

Deep inside, I am still the humble altar boy I once was.

He also praised the cardinal for his “pastoral kindness”.

A source from the Catholic Church in Venezuela told the National Catholic  Register on the condition of anonymity that Chávez died:

As a practicing Catholic, assisted by the sacraments, which he constantly requested in the last period.

Th Cardinal’s immediate response to Chávez’s death was:

We are prayerful; we are ready for uncertain times.

17 Responses to “‘Troglodite’ Catholic Cardinal will hold a public Mass in Rome for late Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez”

Not quite sure what to make of this one – Chávez clearly fell out with the church on political grounds, but then was only too happy to fall back into its arms once he knew his time was up. Just shows how deep the indoctrination runs, I guess.

On which note, while walking the dogs down the beach this morning I picked up a plastic bottle that had been washed there by the tide. It contained a hand-written message from a 13-year-old girl who described where she was from, what she enjoyed at school, what her interests in life were and other little insights into her life. It was a real joy to read. Until, that is, it got to the bit where she wrote that her mother was a singer who had sung christian songs to her from birth and who had released an album of christian blessings. And that her father arranged ‘retreats’ for christian men. All of which made her, she declared with obvious enthusiasm and in capital letters, a christian herself. Aged 13. A christian at the age of 13. A head fucked up for life and a young person given no chance whatsoever to think for herself or come to her own conclusions. In other words, she has been brainwashed. Abused. A child abused by her own parents. I was incensed. What chance does that girl have now? Or the brother she mentioned? The pair of them will spend their entire lives living a lie and in complete denial of the reality around them.

I feckin’ hate religion. I really, really do.

2. ZombieHunter says:

@agentcormac

Maybe the bottle was released years ago only to be found now and the girl has grown up and totally rebelled against her parents and there’s always hope that that’ll happen anyway :D

as for chavez

already the conspiracy nuts are claiming that the americans were somehoe responsible for the death of hugo chavez using their super dooper cancer causing ray gun, chavez himself also beleived that the americans have the technology to create bad weather and earthquakes.

ZombieHunter

Sadly not – her message in a bottle was clearly a recent thing.

If she gave an address, write back thanking her for the message and sign your name as ….Lucifer…

5. JohnMWhite says:

There’s still hope, when I was 13 I was such a proud wee Catholic determined to show off my piety to anyone and everyone. Unfortunately most people around me were more interested in showing their allegiance to a certain football club, because wearing green and white on a Sunday did more for your Catholic-cred than, say, knowing what the Angellus was. If she’s bright enough to think sending messages in bottles is worth a go rather than arranging a drunken night out on facebook, there’s hope she isn’t so gullible as to fail to notice the bullshit and hypocrisy eventually.

6. JohnMWhite says:

I hasten to add that a drunken night out at 13 years of age is not exactly uncommon where I come from.

7. Robster says:

I wonder, is “pastoral kindness” where someone, probably with a silly hat, red shoes and a robe of some sort dawdles into a paddock and caresses strands of wheat or oats? The churchies should have a “be kind to lawns week” to show their “pastoral kindness”.

8. JohnMWhite says:

Brings a whole new meaning to “lamb of god”, Robster. :)

Get your money on Matt Lucas to be the next Pope:

Trendy vicars – dontchahatem?

10. tony e says:

AgentCormac,

At the exact point in her life where she should be asking questions and demanding answers, she has been mentally hobbled. When a parent substitutes the bible, say for a book with real answers like ‘the magic of reality,’ it’s not passing on a faith it’s being intellectually lazy at best.

11. bettydavis says:

The girl will probably rebel against her parents. When I was a child I wanted to be a nun because I liked the costume.

12. Matt Westwood says:

@barriejohn: “I am the only gay in the Vatican!”

13. ZombieHunter says:

@ JohnMWhite

are you in Glasgow or somewhere else in the west of scotland by any chance?? :P

14. tony e says:

@ZombieHunter,

My first thought.

Celtic springs to mind!!

And he seemed such a decent lad!!

Only joking

15. JohnMWhite says:

@ZombieHunter/tony e – was raised just outside Glasgow, flew thousands of miles away as soon as I got the chance.

16. John A says:

It’s often quite paradoxical that people who purport to believe in God and a wondrous afterlife are so loath to leave this life on Earth. Chavez pleading with his God for a bit longer down here, using the self-pretence that his time here is not a self serving want but is merely because he has much to do for this people, is all rather sad and pathetic. Not exactly bowing out with grace and dignity, more like being reduced to a cowering wreck. I don’t reprove him for this, I just wonder what it all means; did it show a doubt in his belief of an afterlife coupled with making Pascal’s wager? Whatever he was thinking we’ll never know, unfortunately for him God was busy giving AIDs to babies in Africa whilst he was praying and couldn’t give a toss about somebody who might be kind of a big deal in Venezuela, but not so prominent in the grand scheme of things. Of course, it’s possible that CARDINAL Jorge Urosa Sabino, had him over by pulling rank and getting to God first. This would certainly explain a rumour I heard that he was overheard praying aloud and reminding God about that naughty incident in 2008 and how now would be a good time to settle that score.