Stephen Fry confronts homophobe who drafted Russia’s anti-gay legislation

BRITISH writer and comedian Stephen Fry one wrote:

I’ve always believed that everything that is said from authority is either the authority of one’s own heart, one’s own brain, one’s own reading, one’s own trust, but not the authority of someone who claims it because they’re speaking for God and they know the truth because it’s written in a book. That, essentially, is where I come from. In a sense, tolerance is my religion. Reason is my religion.

Well, this week Fry, who is gay, met a man in Moscow who does believe he has divine authority, Vitaly Milonov the ginger Christian fool who masterminded  the Russian anti-gay bill that makes “propaganda of homosexuality among minors” punishable by up to $16,200.

Vitaly Milonov, left, and Stephen Fry

Vitaly Milonov, left, and Stephen Fry

The draft was supported by parliament in January. Its ambiguous wording has lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) activists worried about its enforcement.

Fry is making a two-part BBC documentary called Out There, which is about gay rights around the globe, and managed to confronted Milonov, who is reported here as saying after his meeting with Fry:

As a person, I am profoundly against gay parades, because I am an Orthodox Christian and the demonstration of the sin of Sodom is repellent to me. If, God forbid, I happened to see a crowd of those citizens — like they do in Berlin, I’ve seen photographs where men with all sorts of dildos are running around semi-naked — it’s natural that I’d try to take my children aside, so that they would not see this perversion.

He also said:

Fry is making a film about gays and according to the rules of the genre, he needed an opinion opposing his. But in reality he was not at all interested in it. For him, we who support the law against promotion of homosexuality are just crazy savages. This law and our attitude to homosexuality is our internal affair. It’s our own choice. We don’t want to see our civilisation die.

Previously, Milonov defended the law, reasoning that it is

In this report, the councilman said that he would pray for Fry and his family. Of his meeting with Fry, Milonov said:

It was curious, like touching another civilization. I mostly listened. He believes I am the worst man in Russia.

Fry’s interview with the anti-gay lawmaker comes on the heels of a new survey conducted by the Levada-Center about anti-gay sentiments in Russia. The survey revealed 85 percent opposed same-sex marriage, 22 percent said gays need compulsory treatment, 34 percent think homosexuality is a disease and five percent said gays should be eradicated.

15 Responses to “Stephen Fry confronts homophobe who drafted Russia’s anti-gay legislation”

1. Matt Westwood says:

“He believes I am the worst man in Russia.”

He may not be alone there. Fascism is to be eradicated whatever face it wears.

2. Annette says:

That christian thing not working out too well in Russia–huh?

3. the Woggler says:

I hope the ginger comment wasn’t meant as some sort of slur.

4. ZombieHunter says:

Stephen Fry is an absulute legend :D

Good on him for confronting this maniac hiding behind religion to justify his ill informed and bigoted worldview.

5. JohnMWhite says:

“As a person, I am profoundly against gay parades, because I am an Orthodox Christian and the demonstration of the sin of Sodom is repellent to me.”

Trust me, you’ll find yourself much more likely to be struck by the sin of Sodom at a church picnic than a gay pride parade. You do know the sin of Sodom is being inhospitable to guests, right? You’re not just a reactionary bigot looking for any excuse to hate gay people and proudly displaying your ignorance of the book you got the vague notion from, are you?

“Directed at the protection of motherhood and childhood, rather than at restricting human rights.”

See? He’s not-a-bigot™. It’s not about restricting human rights, it’s not about disliking gay people and just wanting to hurt them and make their lives difficult, it’s about saving the country from absolute destruction which is what those gays will cause because magic.

Absolute coward, as usual. If you’re going to pontificate about gays bringing the sky down on everybody’s heads, and that simply being shown they exist is repellent to you, you can’t pretend that this is being done out of caring about motherhood. It’s because you hate gays, vehemently so.

6. Barry Duke says:

@ The Woggler, nope “ginger” wasn’t meant as a slur. As a former proud carrot-top myself in my hey-days as a hippie, long before baldness set in, I would never use the word as an insult, and I apologise if it was seen that way.

Oh, and speaking of hippies, get a load of this twaddle:

Its amazing how xtians no little to nothing about their idiot drivel in the buyBull. Sodom was condemned BEFORE the attempted angel rape seen. Isiah says why Sodom is naughty and it had nothing to do with man-on-man action. Hint: Why did she become salt???
    These bigots are just that and need to be controlled by law and fought continuously. We must strive to keep our societies open and free.
    How do you know if someone is acting badly? I like Heinlein’s view…..”there is only one sin that is doing physical harm to another. Do harm to yourself is not a sin, just plain stupid.”
    Being gay is hurting no one, its just there are so many bigots that are afraid of those feelings in themselves and they are icky.

8. Marky Mark says:

(Trust me, you’ll find yourself much more likely to be struck by the sin of Sodom at a church picnic than a gay pride parade.)
    …LOL or in a confession booth!

‘Running around semi-naked waving all sorts of dildos’ – that certainly left an impression on the Russian! I particularly like the ‘all sorts’ of dildos because it suggests he spied quite a wide variety, which obviously must have excited his imagination. I think the real Fraudian slip comes when he says that meeting Fry was like ‘touching another civilisation’. Dildos as a symbol of another civilisation – now there’s a thought!

10. Georgina says:

@L.Long (Lazy I presume?)

I heard the other day that these men are actually afraid that a gay man might treat them the way they treat women, and that is frightening!
    Men who talk about the biblical (koranic) rights of man over woman are genuinely worried.

This has nothing to do with sin, it has to do with the failing power of patriarchy. As RAH said, true humans cannot be domesticated.

11. […] Read more here: http://freethinker.co.uk/2013/03/16/stephen-fry-confronts-homophobe-who-drafted-russias-anti-gay-leg… […]

12. Trevor Blake says:

You may have your own attitudes and your own internal affairs and your own choice. You may have law. But you may not have both without being a liar. When you use the law to criminalize harmless activities (or, at worst, potentially self-harming activities like smoking) then you are exactly the opposite of a champion of attitudes, internal affairs and choices.

I’m not a fan of pride parades. I think the money and effort would be better spent in giving homosexuals in Muslim countries a chance to flee, or support to stay and fight for their lives. But I don’t advocate for pride parades being banned. See that, Mr. Milonov? I’ve just shown you how to have an opinion without the force of law used to make sure everyone shares it.

13. […] Stephen Fry confronts homophobe who drafted Russia’s anti-gay legislation (freethinker.co.uk) […]

14. Graham says:

Stephen Fry is a treasure. But is massively disappointing to see the term ‘ginger’ clearly used pejoratively, and antithetical to humanism. As used here, there is an implied bigotry.