ANNA Pierre, a registered nurse who claims to be “nuts for Jesus” SOOO wanted to become mayor of North Miami, but voters decided she was just plain nuts, and yesterday she finished up seventh in a seven-candidate race, having polled just 56 votes (0.83 percent).

Anna

The top two vote-getters, Kevin Burns and Lucie Tondreau, advanced to a June 4 run-off for the post.

Pierre said during a stop at the Gwen Margolis Community Center yesterday morning as the polls opened:

Yes, Jesus endorsed me! I’m not nuts, if I’m a freak and nuts for Jesus, let it be! Let the world know that Jesus is it and when you have Jesus on your side you can go on.

The Jesus claim was made on a campaign flyer posted to Pierre’s Facebook page that reads “Anna Pierre, RN, is endorsed by Jesus Christ” and features a photo of the God’s alleged son.

Pierre said the endorsement came to her in “a revelation” while on the campaign trail:

I don’t know about if he likes me more, but what I can tell you, I know he loves me very much. If it wasn’t for the love of Jesus I wouldn’t be standing here today.

Last month in North Miami, Pierre, a Haitian native who recorded a hit pop song before coming to America, claimed someone had placed voodoo artifacts outside the door of her campaign office.

The items included candles, food and dolls with pins stuck in them, said Pierre, who believes one of her opponents may have been behind the intimidation.

The voodoo stuff, I don’t know who’s doing it, but I’m not afraid. It’s just intimidation to … slow me down. But you know what? I’m not going to slow down until the finish line.

Voters Tuesday remained slightly skeptical of the Jesus endorsement. One voter, Grover Rawlings said of Pierre’s claim:

Well, I thought ‘I wonder if I ought to vote for this person to maintain the cosmic balance. I mean, I want to stay on the good side, it’s a pretty powerful endorsement if it’s true.

Kevin Burns didn’t have much to say about Pierre’s Jesus claim,’ cept:

I can’t even touch that one.

Hat tip: Paul Duveen (Miami report)

18 Responses to “Miami mayoral candidate, ‘endorsed by Jesus’, singularly fails to inspire voter confidence”

1. mikespeir says:

Jesus, apparently, just ain’t the god he used to be.

If she had won then it would be “Jesus wot dun it.” Due acknowledgement to “The Sun”. As she has come last I wonder if she thinks that Jesus, omnipotent, just can’t cut it? Or did these voodoo types have more powerful juju medicine than her god?

3. Lazy+Susan says:

Broga – You ask for way too much.

“…I’m a freak and nuts for Jesus…”

I wouldn’t want any Nurse who made such a ridiculous claim anywhere near me if I was in Hospital. It would seem the American voters have more sense than we sometimes credit them.

6. Lazy+Susan says:

A search for “Suk Sou Bonbon” turns up a nice little video of Anna Pierre singing and dancing with a backing group on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nilpAAYDTX8 – a pleasant way to spend 5 minutes.

It’s called “Mete Suk Sou Bonbon” which google translates from Haitian Creole as “Place on cookie sucks” but that doesn’t make much more sense to me than the original.

7. Stephen Mynett says:

The worrying thing Angela is that we do have people like that in the NHS, the may not have been quite so crazy with their utterances but suggesting god as a cure is just as bad.

8. Cameron says:

What sort of nurse is she, does she preach in the hospital like she did for the election?

9. Buffy says:

Apparently Jesus didn’t like her that much. Maybe he was too busy helping some football team win the big game or some lady find her keys to help this idiot win her election.

How can she be a Christian? Has she not read her Bible?

“Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.” (Romans13:1-2 KJV)

“Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.” (I Tim.2:11-12 KJV)

Christians are not to involve themselves in politics: God will see to it that they are governed righteously. Women are to remain in subjection to men!

11. tony e says:

This lady has to ask herself the obvious question either Jesus does not love her or he does not exist. Either way it should send her a pretty obvious message.

What cracks me up is how she prefers the Aryan version of Jesus to put on her website, rather than the Middle Eastern version.

12. Equality Jack says:

I think that she lost because there aren’t many people left who would want another Michelle Bachman or Sarah Palin spectacle.
    Also, she went way overboard with the Jesus stuff.

She wasn’t running for Pope, so using any religious background as some sort of qualification for a public service job is beyond the pale anyway. We’ve had a few of these in my neighborhood. Sometimes they just have to find out for themselves that they really don’t know jack about how to get things done, then they are eased out the back door, sometimes with a hearty kick.
    But sometimes they become entrenched. I’m glad she didn’t win.
    She would have been a laughingstock. We’ve had enough of those.

13. [...] NOT entirely clear whether Richard P Sheridan is a religious nutcase like the Miami woman we reported on yesterday. But everything points that [...]

14. Marky Mark says:

Good, I think the many skeptics are fed up with these people and going out to vote against them. Especially when they realize that once elected these religious politicians begin to FORCE their belief on others and try to make laws based on religion. And these laws are all about repression of personal freedoms.

15. Trevor Blake says:

Barriejohn beat me to it!

Trevor Blake: We think alike. It was the first thing that came to mind when I read this story.

(PS She also wears makeup and jewellery, and braids her hair, I notice – all forbidden in the Bible, as has been noted before!)

17. Matt+Westwood says:

“Off topic but equally barmy is this story of the rejection by Marks and Spencer’s of a birthday card created on-line by 77-year-old Ruth Levy. She received a “profanity” warning when she addressed the card to a 90-year-old friend called Dick.”

Good job her name wasn’t Fanny.