Tell Mama tells lies about Islamophobia and loses its Government grant

THERE’S no questioning the fact that anti-Islamic feelings spiked in the UK following the brutal slaughter of Drummer Lee Rigby by crazed Islamicists, but the number of attacks and incidences of intimidation against Muslims are nowhere near as bad as that claimed by an Islamophobia watchdog called Tell Mama.

Tell Mama, which has received £375,000 in taxpayers’ money in the last year, has been caught telling terrible porkies about cases of Islamophobia, and has now had its funding withdrawn – a move  that infuriated its founder, Fiyaz Mughal.

bnnbnbnbbn

Fiyaz Mughal

According to this report, Mughal lost his temper when he was informed by Communities Minister, the Liberal Democrat MP Don Foster, that Tell Mama’s grant would not be renewed.

This was before the Woolwich killing.

After the Woolwich incident, Tell Mama claimed that there had been a “sustained wave of attacks and intimidation” against British Muslims, with 193 “Islamophobic incidents” reported to it, rising to 212 by last weekend.

Mughal, said he saw “no end to this cycle of violence”, describing it as “unprecedented”. The claims were unquestioningly repeated in the media.

Tell Mama and Mughal did not mention, however, that 57 percent of the 212 reports referred to activity that took place only online, mainly offensive postings on Twitter and Facebook, or that a further 16 percent of the 212 reports had not been verified. Not all the online abuse even originated in Britain.

Contrary to the group’s claim of a “cycle of violence” and a “sustained wave of attacks”, only 17 of the 212 incidents, 8 percent, involved the physical targeting of people and there were no attacks on anyone serious enough to require medical treatment.

There have been a further 12 attacks on Islamic buildings, three of them serious, including a probable arson attack on a Muslim community centre in north London, which burned it to the ground.

Tell Mama supporters launched a furious campaign of protest against The Sunday Telegraph after it disclosed the breakdown last week, with round-robin emails to the newspaper accusing it of behaviour

Better suited to the days of 1930s Germany.

One source closely involved in counter-extremism said:

Mr Mughal was giving data on attacks to the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) which wasn’t stacking up when it was cross-referenced with other reports by ACPO [the Association of Chief Police Officers]. He was questioned by DCLG civil servants and lost his temper. He was subsequently called in by Don Foster and told that he would receive no more money.

A senior Liberal Democrat source confirmed the sequence of events, saying:

There was a bit of a spat. He was called in and told that ACPO had cast doubt on his figures. He was told that he would be closely monitored for the remaining period of the grant and that there would be no more money.

Tell Mama claimed in March that anti-Muslim crime was “rising”, even though the group had only been in operation at that stage for a year and had no previous figures to compare with.

Other figures, collected by the police, show that hate crime in mainly Muslim areas has fallen in the past 10 years. The only large force that collects figures on specifically anti-Muslim crime, the Metropolitan Police, reported an 8.5 per cent fall in such crimes between 2009 and 2012.

There was a spike in anti-Muslim incidents after the killing of Drummer Rigby. However, contrary to Tell Mama’s claims that it was “unprecedented”, the Met’s assistant commissioner, Cressida Dick, told MPs last week that it was “slightly less” than after previous terror attacks.

There has not been such a very big increase in attacks as we might have feared.

Mughal himself has now admitted to the BBC that the number of physical attacks was “small”.

Tell Mama has also been using its budget to threaten members of the public with libel actions for criticising it on Twitter.

Hat tip: Trevor Blake

31 Responses to “Tell Mama tells lies about Islamophobia and loses its Government grant”

1. TrickyDicky says:

There was a high ranking met copper on the radio 4 today program this morning going on about the increase in “islamaphobic” incidents from 1 a day to 8 a day.

When pushed as to what these “incidents” were he admitted they were “name calling”.

I wonder if I should report it to the police the next time I am called a “kuffar” and I wonder what their reaction would be?

2. Har Davids says:

Dicky, you would probably be told you had it coming to you for not being a true believer in Islam, or for being ostentatiously a non-Muslim. After a horrible murder there’s a rise in Muslim-bating by name-calling! So far, most people seem to have understood these idiots don’t have anything to do with the Muslims we see around us all day. Maybe, the general public is smarter than most of the pundits.

Anorak tries to give a balanced assessment of this situation:

I love the news that Derek Acorah has had to cancel an appearance due to “unforeseen circumstances”. I thought that was an old joke!

4. The Woggler says:

I have to admit, if there’s one religion that actually scares me, it’s Islam. Does that make me Islamaphobic?

“Islamophobic incidents” Don’t they mean anti-islam incidents? As we all know a phobia is a fear and in the case of islam, I most certainly fear it.

And why are the Police protecting certain muslims including the hate preacher Choudry who has been moved to a safe house; why should they get special treatment?

Woggler: We fear Islam because many of its followers still have a mediaeval mindset. Centuries of revision and “interpretation” of Jewish and Christian scriptures by people who were at heart humanists makes those faiths easier to live with, but I am not convinced that there could not be a return to fundamentalism and extremism on the same scale as we see with “Islamists”. Just look at the Orthodox Church in Russia, gleefully flexing its muscles again now: certain elements of the Roman Catholic Church worldwide; and evangelicals in Africa and the West.

7. tony e says:

Without wishing to sound a bit wet, it is unfair to target a group of people for abuse because of the actions of a few.

On the other hand, it had to take a very public and brutal act in order for the ‘moderate muslims’ to speak out against the violent elements of their religion.

By way of light relief, might I suggest watching the third segment of the following programme if you were unfortunate enough to miss it yesterday?

Christian (c)rap artists are funny, and so are Muslim fundamentalists, but which are the most entertaining? There’s only one way to find out!

9. Trevor Blake says:

When that moderate majority of Muslims that I cannot fail to hear about decides to address that tiny majority of extremists who all misunderstand Islam in the same way, the religion of peace will earn its name.

Even were the murders to end Islam is deserving of contempt. Just one example: the foolish faith has robbed millions of the art of sculpture, forbidden by Allah. There are no Muslim sculptures. Think of that. Well, sorry, one more: even if the murders were to end, in Islam a woman who is raped and cannot produce four men who witnessed it has committed adultery and must be punished.

I issue a gentle reminder that failing to commit public beheadings does not make a Muslim into a shining example of reason and compassion. Islam and all religions are problematic in themselves. Appeasement to bullies like Mr. Mughal is exactly the wrong approach.

Mughal isn’t the only one losing his temper over what people say. Justin Welby’s stance on gay marriage has so infuriated one of his own clergy, Rev Marcus Ramshaw, that he took to Facebook to vent his anger, including an assertion that the Arch Bish is a ‘wanker’. Couldn’t have put it better myself!

11. Philip Smeeton says:

What surprises me is the apathetic public response, everyone should have been expressing their disgust for Islam.
    I hope Tell Mama really does lose its support, one of the things you can trust a Muslim to do is lie.

@AgentCormac: I found the ABC is a wanker spat in the C. of E. most entertaining. The C. of E. chief spin doctor also suggested – very funny this – that the Rev. Marcus Ramshaw who made the “onanist” comment had “anger issues.” As the spin doctor is on £70,000 a year in return for what on this evidence are modest skills he clearly doesn’t buy into the “blessed are the poor” bit.

Seems as if their God is yet again failing in making his wishes on belief clear. For an omnipotent diety he is one hell of a poor communicator.

13. Daz says:

OT

This looks interesting, on BBC 4 tonight

Seems it features “dramatic reconstruction,” like all too many documentaries these days, but worth a gander for all that, I reckon.

14. Angelo Ventura says:

Islamophobia, fear of Islam is justified by the mass murders, killings, barbaric sharia laws and customs, oopression of women and gays, absolutely no respect for human rights, and racid hatred of western and hebrew people. It’s as if we blamed hebrews fornazifobia…

Better suited to the days of 1930s Germany….
    They have no real idea of this. They are 1)the wrong religion 2) the wrong color 3) the wrong race….They would be killed or run out of Germany by the nazis. I swear I do not remember hearing about them being rounded up and ship to killing camps, or have I missed something?

Islamophobia does not exist as it is a mental condition where you have a terrible IRRATIONAL fear of (Insert stuff)…There is NOTHING irrational about my fears so yes I distrust ALL muslims and ALL xtians. OOOooHHHhhhh but SSSsssOOOoo many are nice people who are for love and peace (I wish there was a way to right with irony); right the same sheeple that put rapists on a high level then atheists, that can’t stand the thought of gays being equal. ALL the abrahamic religions are haters and bigots. And so long as their holy books (yes that includes the NT)say to be so, I will continue in my opinion.

16. RussellW says:

I’m not surprised that Mr Mughal is infuriated–it’s an outrage, Kuffars must pay the Jizyah.

Mea Maxima Culpa is available to view on BBC iPlayer for four weeks:

Well worth watching!

18. Trevor Blake says:

Please, Mr. Mughal, I’m begging you – let’s talk about the days of 1930s Germany…

19. Great+Satan says:

Mr Mughal ! – I wish to bring to your attention a vicious attack on a 13 year old Muslim girl which you curiously do not seem to object to …..http://www.richarddawkins.net/news_articles/2013/6/10/egypt-teen-dies-after-female-circumcision#

This situation has been brought to light recently, and is highlighted by the NSS today:

Of course, similar privileges have been granted to Jews in the past, so how can they cry “foul” when Muslims are running their own affairs?

Jesus and Mo on the ball again:

22. Stephen Mynett says:

Barriejohn, or should you have said on about balls again.

23. Bubblecar says:

“Islamophobia” is a self-serving industry, one of many spawned by the cult of multiculturalism, an anti-liberal ideology which exists largely to ensure that people from diverse backgrounds will experience maximum conflict by means of “identity politics”, whose aim is to subject the individual to a collective authoritarianism.

We really need the so-called left in all Western countries to wise up to the conservative, right-wing nature of the “multiculturalist” ethos. Many still confuse it with liberal pluralism, a far more progressive concept in which human rights are applied where they are appropriate: to individual human beings, not “communities”.

24. Matt+Westwood says:

Fight the fascists wherever they appear.

Matt+Westwood

Turkey unfortunately being a place where they are showing their true colours right now.

26. […] THERE'S no questioning the fact that anti-Islamic feelings spiked in the UK following the brutal slaughter of Drummer Lee Rigby by crazed Islamicists, but the number of attacks and incidences…  […]

27. Emma says:

there is a song written by someone called simon called “islamophobia” you can find it on youtube by searching “islamophobia simon focused project fiver” I think a lot of people interested in this topic will find the song very relevant!

28. mo says:

I’ ve tried in my life to live and let live but I m getting worn down by unpleasant and hostile behaviour from Muslims in my area. Its not violent but unpleasant and uncomfortable. As a woman who lives alone and like most has from some male friends, I find I have to listen to vile comments from children playing on the street as young as 8 years old on the nature of my personal life and their Muslim parents are nowhere to be seen. The last straw was a hostile Muslim male who asked me why I was going out with a black brother.Until recently I had to live next door to a group of young Pakistani Muslim men who had a penchant for gang banging vulnerable young women. Most of the women are unfriendly and hostile so it hard to tell them how ashamed I would be if my son was abusing a woman or indeed anyone in this way and they so often speak little English. I have never posted like this before and in fact could not find any support group for victims of Muslim abuse. I felt it was reasonable to tell Mama just how hard it is to live like that, to feel mobbed by a immigrant group you were willing to accept as part of life. If a political figure were to truly represent me I would vote for them. If there were a plan to humanely repatriate Muslims who will not assimilate then I would support it.Europe and Britain would be safer and happier.