LET’S be clear about this. Dean Perks, UKIP’s parliamentary candidate for Halesowen and Rowley Regis, doesn’t go a bundle on the WHOLE sharia law package. He just likes the bit about thieves having their hands chopped off.

Dean Perks

Dean Perks

He told supporters at a UKIP rally:

In my opinion, sharia law works as a prevention – and prevention is better than cure. If you think you are going to get your hand chopped off for pinching something, you won’t pinch it.

Perks, a self-employed builder from Dudley, is fighting Halesowen and Rowley Regis, where Tory MP James Morris has a slender majority of just over 2,000 votes.

His words were greeted with alarm and dismay – not least by Muslims in the area.

Khalid Mahmood, Labour MP for Birmingham Perry Barr said:

Sharia law can only be applied in Muslim states. There is no way sharia law could be introduced in the UK and Muslims who live in countries where there isn’t a predominance of Muslims, like here, follow the law of the land.

Aaah, but by 2050 ….

He added:

Mr Perks seems to be very confused; you can’t pick and chose with sharia law. You either believe in all of it, or none of it – and you have to be a Muslim. I suggest he consults the scriptures – the Koran – and converts to Islam.

I  think his comments are intended to attract votes from the Muslim community in Halesowen and Rowley Regis but are inappropriate and ill-thought-out.

Ragih Muflihi, chief executive of the 2,000-strong Sandwell Yemeni Association, said:

These type of comments are unhelpful. They will just fuel the flames. Islam teaches us quite clearly that Muslims who are living in a non-Muslim country, like the UK, must obey the laws of that country, not sharia law.

Sharia law is often misunderstood and a lot of modern-day Muslims in the UK and elsewhere don’t even know what it is.

James Morris, Conservative MP for Halesowen and Rowley Regis, added:

It is essential that everybody who lives in Britain – regardless of background, culture, religion or race – must be expected to abide by British laws. We have seen horrible consequences when some groups think that they don’t have to live by the same rules as everybody else.

Everybody is entitled to their own beliefs but we would not accept people being allowed to opt out of our legal system or for communities to adopt their own forms of justice.

John Spellar, Labour MP for Warley in the Black Country, said:

Once again, this shows the bizarre sort of candidate UKIP is attracting. People from all communities will be astonished and appalled that Mr Perks wants to bring such barbarity into Britain.

The real question is: ‘How did he ever get to be a candidate in the first place?’ I challenge (UKIP leader) Nigel Farage to throw him out immediately.”

Perks told a UKIP rally in Coventry:

I recently had a conversation with someone who asked what I thought of sharia law. I said: ’Well, in all honesty, I do agree with part – but by no means all – of sharia law. That’s my view – my opinion. I ain’t going to defend myself: I do agree with it.

Mr Perks is no stranger to controversy. Six months ago, he admitted referring to someone on Twitter as ‘a retard’. He also praised Enoch Powell as ‘a visionary’, adding:

He was well-liked among the Asian community.

Perks further told the meeting that he was not a racist, saying he has a godson who is a Muslim, and has many Asian and mixed-race friends.

Hat tip: Stephen Mynett

43 Responses to “UKIP candidate’s enthusiasm for aspects of sharia law greeted with frowns by Muslim leaders”

1. Alex says:

“He has a godson who is a Muslim”? Huh?

2. Daz says:

The really scary part of that story for me, personally, was that the only person mentioned who I agreed with was the conservative.

3. Warwick Finch says:

Anyone who has to say that “they are not a racist” almost certainly is.

4. polomint38 says:

@alex
    He could have a godson who has apostacised from Christianity and joined Islam.

5. Trevor Blake says:

No denials that hand-chopping is a Muslim practice, only pouting that it can’t be done (yet) in Britain and a scolding for a kuffar pointing out the truth. How about this: an announcement that hand-chopping is a Muslim practice and it must be abandoned immediately in all countries. Your move, religion of peace. The 21st century is quite nice, do join us.

6. JohnMWhite says:

Which is why there is no theft in Saudi Arabia, except for all the thefts that happen there. And of course, people only steal because they think they’ll get to keep their hands, it is never because they are desperate.

Aside from picking and choosing clearly being how Sharia and all other religious law is used pretty much everywhere, is he really saying Perks wants to chop people’s hands off he should convert to Islam? I’m not sure that attitude from a Muslim is particularly reassuring.

Like newspapers hacking into the phones of dead children, or politicians causing the deaths of hundreds of thousands of civilians by misleading parliament, or the police shooting people on the tube or pushing old men to their deaths.

Except the Vatican and their Canon Law.

That’s my view – my opinion. I ain’t going to defend myself

Then why are you speaking in public and trying to get elected? Explaining your position is half the job you complete fucking imbecile.

has many Asian and mixed-race friends.

The guy who sells you a copy of Nuts and a loaf of bread every Thursday doesn’t count.

UKIP attracts the dregs of society flowing to the support of UKIP. Ignorant, bigoted and utterly repellent. Perks will attract votes. What this indicates is the appalling level of education and the limited perspective of so many in the UK who are fed on crap television and newspapers for the barely literate.

If a person steals because he is hungry, get him food, he will stop.
    If a person steals because he is poor, get him a job, he will stop.
    If a person steals because he is a stupid block head that would rather steal then work, ship him off to Australia, Sorry can’t do that anymore. So ship him off to Iran, where he will get his hand cut off.

Fascist is attracted to fascist religion.

News just in: bears are found to be…well, you get the picture!

10. Daz says:

Barriejohn

well, you get the picture!

Unfortunately, that picture may be somewhat muddled…

Link

Alarm bells are ringing!

The fact that this idiot would be one of the first to be throwing his toys out of the pram if there was even the merest hint that sharia law could be introduced in Britain just shows what an utter dickhead he is. Basically, what he’s saying is he approves of draconian laws. You know, those same draconian laws which, over centuries, have proved so utterly futile in reducing crime and which result in a burgeoning prison population which the rest of us have to pay for.

If you can be bothered, you’ll find the idiot Dean trying desperately to defend himself on Twitter with responses such as:

I never supported sharia law but the principle it’s cracking:-)

Ummmm – go figure!

#Dean UKIP Perks PPC

14. Wildberry says:

Warwick Finch has done us all a great favour by vouchsafing his considered opinion that “Anyone who has to say that “they are not a racist” almost certainly is.” Well done Warwick for that insight.

By the way, Warwick, are you a racist?

15. Wildberry says:

It is interesting to note the barely suppressed anger of many of these outraged commentators. JohnMWhite is particularly upset. So much, in fact, that he reveals his penchant for obscenities and abuse. One wonders if he thinks that this endears him to normal thinking people or persuades readers to take his outburst seriously . . .

16. [...] UKIP candidate’s enthusiasm for aspects of sharia law greeted with frowns by Muslim leaders (freethinker.co.uk) [...]

BNP + custard = UKIP

18. […] LET'S be clear about this. Dean Perks, UKIP's parliamentary candidate for Halesowen and Rowley Regis, doesn't go a bundle on the WHOLE sharia law package. He just likes the bit…  […]

19. Brian Jordan says:

Khalid Mahmood, Labour MP for Birmingham Perry Barr said:

Sharia law can only be applied in Muslim states.

He added:

So they’d better dismantle all those Sharia courts then, along with the Sharia banking.
    But of course, those advocates of both who say they can have them without hand-chopping are wrong, it would seem.
    Where does Sharia begin and end, by the way? Is halal slaughter part of Sharia? Pork chop avoidance? Ramadan fasting? Could Muslims happily skip them in the UK?

I wonder when the UKIP bubble is going to burst. These clowns, when they get elected, are very quick to help themselves to Euro largess and boast about this. I find Farage odious. He looks like a two ideas man – stop immigration and withdraw from Europe – on the make. I know a UKIP member and he is a mouthy, long retired, incompetent who thinks he can run the country. Farage seems like the typical pub bore – shallow, boring and narrow.

@ Wildberry

Do you actually have anything worthwhile to contribute, or have you just dropped by to pass judgement on others?

22. Daz says:

Wildberry

I’d be interested in knowing what, exactly, JMW said which you disagree with. Other than merely criticising of the style of his writing, I mean.

@Wildberry:

“……has done us all a great favour by vouchsafing his considered opinion……”

Far be it from me to criticise anyone’s English. I have enough trouble with my own. But aren’t you just a little bit precious in your comments – “vouchsafing” for example.

24. JohnMWhite says:

Nobody let Wildberry see the new Doctor Who in his old show called The Thick Of It. Holy fucking Christ on a bastard bike, he’ll get a case of the vapours.

In seriousness, using the word ‘fucking’ once, light-heartedly thrown in to comically display utter exasperation at a politician being unable to understand his own function, hardly constitutes a penchant for obscenities and abuse nor displays barely contained anger. I’m not angry, I am amused, and while text can often obscure what somebody is intending to express I don’t think one word is enough to start speculating about somebody’s emotional state. I can’t help but feel such shallow criticism can only be because the substance of what I said is too difficult to argue with, though I do wish somebody would have the gumption to have a try. Not that I want a fight, but a conversation is going to be more constructive than drive-by sniping at somebody for using a bad word on the Internet.

25. David Anderson says:

JohnMWhite was slightly wrong. Dean Perks is a complete and utter fucking imbecile.

Perhaps Wildberry is a Perks and UKIP supporter.

@David Anderson: Could be UKIP. “Vouchsafing” has a UKIP ring to it. The retired, sub middle class under achievers bitter at their worth not being recognised might well strut their stuff with a world such as this.

@David Anderson: Could be UKIP. “Vouchsafing” has a UKIP ring to it. The retired, sub middle class under achievers bitter at their worth not being recognised might well strut their stuff with a word such as this.

28. Tom80 says:

@Broga

Well I guess I qualify as this then. Why would I vote UKIP? I voted in a referendum to remain in the EEC-a free trade organisation which I thought would greatly benefit the UK industry. No one said this would “morph” into the EU-an organisation which appears to be able to pass laws and regulations which over ride the houses of parliament. Had I known this was going to happen I would not have voted to stay in the EEC. I want the government and regulation of this country to remain with the elected representatives in Westminster and no unelected outside body to have any say-I think this is Democracy in action.

I do not think ukip could win a general election but what they can do ,like the sdp when it was formed, have an influence on one of the main political parties, in this case the conservative party. We see this in the promise that, if they win the next election, a re-negotiation of our relationship with Europe will be attempted and the result of this put to the electorate with an “in/out” referendum. If this is done we will know what the majority of the people think and the issue will be decided once and for all.

As regards ukip position on immigration, I have a suspicion that a great many people feel that this country has taken in more immigrants than we can support. I note that even the Labour party has said they were too easy on immigration. Many other countries are much more restrictive on immigration than we are.

29. Tom80 says:

@Broga

I qualify as this as well then- I am retired, possibly an under achiever- although I was never out of work and was responsible for the design and installation of at least two hospital computer networks and served 15 years in the RAF working on some pretty complex electronic kit.

Why do you denigrate anyone who holds an opposite view to you? It seems wrong to me to do so and does not make for a civilised argument.

Tom80: Like many others, you are either suffering from memory loss or lying. I distinctly remember Ted Heath telling us that joining the EU would eventually mean that we belonged to a federation – just like the US states – with a single government, single currency, single parliament, and single foreign policy (and army, of course). That’s what I voted for, and that’s what I am still waiting for, as it is the only way forward for this ex-colonial power. Also, we are NOT governed in any way by “unelected bureaucrats” – an argument which has been demolished many times before, but by all means keep repeating the lie. And as for the Labour Party now joining the “bash the immigrants” campaign, they are an absolute disgrace, and should be ashamed of themselves, but of course the right-wing press set the agenda in this country now.

31. David Anderson says:

Tom80: You might want to look up the CBI report on the consequences of the UK withdrawing from the EU before you run up the Unión Jack and start singing “Rule Britannia”.

@Tom 80: The USA thinks that pulling out of the EU will be disastrous for us. China has said that they will not invest here if we pull out. And so it goes on. The UK needs to wake up. I heard a Tory MP say we ought to send a frigate to Gibraltor to show “Spain that we are serious.” Fantasy. Like much that goes on in Farage’s head.

We can wave our Union Jacks as much as we like but no one really cares. And the last time I was in the USA I was interested in how little the UK featured on USA news bulletins compared to, for example, France and Germany.

33. Tom80 says:

Ted Heath took us into the EEC and this is what we all voted to stay in at the time of the referendum. Successive governments have taken us into further integration without asking the people if that is what they want. As regards what the USA and other nations think, surely it is down to us to decide.

As regards being governed by unelected bureaucrats, it seems that the EU can make regulations that we have to abide by and the Westminster parliament cannot over rule. To me this is wrong.

What I want is a debate in the country on the pros and cons regarding EU membership followed by a referendum, that way we will know the will of the people and we can all abide by the results. The CBI report would be part of this as would reports from those opposed to the EU.

If we could go back to it being a trading federation of nations then that would be good. If we decided to leave the EU I assume other EU countries would still want to carry on trading with us, and sell us their products.

34. David Anderson says:

Tom80: Ever since I can remember the UK government of the time has made decisions and laws without asking people what they want. I suspect they will continue to do so.

The EU will continue to make regulations that the UK will have to abide by if it wants to continue trading with the EU. The only difference is that the UK will have no seat at the table making those regulations.

I am looking forward to a proper debate about our EU membership, as people will then be appraised of the FACTS, as opposed to the anti-EU propaganda that they are fed at present. I am confident that the result of any future referendum will be just as it was the last time.

Anything that draws nations together and blurs the differences between peoples is good in my book. The 20th century alone should be an object lesson in that department.

JMW: He was on the BBC News Channel this morning, thanking them for the free publicity, and crowing that he had already been on six different news programmes today. He stuck to the line that the term Bongo Bongo Land had no racist overtones whatsoever, and referred to it as “an alliteration”(?) – rendered “illiteration” by the ever-entertaining subtitles!

PS Bloom has form, and has put his foot in it many times:

He doesn’t approve of government aid going to gays either:

However, a UKIP spokesman told PinkNews.co.uk today that Bloom was not homophobic but was looking out for the interests of the taxpayer.

And his views on working women (remember?):

I’d better get some work done!

41. JohnMWhite says:

Whose bright idea was it to invite him on six different news shows in a day? He’s a racist, misogynistic, bigoted cretin and while it is worth noting in a politician, he appears smarter than the media outlets booking him because at least he recognises that he’s got himself a boatload of publicity. And he probably did double his votes in the north…

@JohnMWhite: I heard his interview on Radio 4 and James Naughty never laid a glove on him. He ran rings round Naughty. Quite funny that his comment are to be discussed at “the highest levels of UKIP.” There are no “highest levels” in UKIP. Only Farage and that can scarcely be considered a “highest level.”