FOLLOWING a recent survey that revealed that Christians are less likely than atheists, Hindus or Jews to be promoted to top jobs, a dotty fundamentalist outfit called The Way has weighed into the issue, claiming that some enterprises are being run in a manner designed to exclude the faithful.

Tim Pearson of The Way

Tim Pearson of The Way

When the findings of the survey – contained in a breakdown of employment and religious belief produced by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) –  were first published, it was suggested by economist Ruth Lea, of the Arbuthnot Banking Group, that the reason for this might be that Christians lacked ambition and were lazy:

Jews and Hindus are proportionately so much more successful than Christians. The driven people tend to come from minorities. Christians are the majority group, and they do not seem so ambitious and hard working.

No, no, NO said Tim Pearson, Director of The Way:

The issues that these statistics hide is that some employers by default expect their senior management to bend the truth, perform duties that go against the Christian ethos and have dubious ethical standards, all of which precludes the Christian with a strong faith from progressing.

It is not about hard work, as Ruth Lea would have us believe because the Bible tells us to go the extra mile be conscientious, hard working etc, so this is just another illustration that we are being persecuted.

According to the stats, almost a quarter of people with no religious belief live in homes headed by someone with a senior executive position or a job in one of the professions.

They also indicate that well under a fifth of Christians work in the best-paid and most influential jobs and that there were high levels of senior and professional employment among the Jewish and Hindu communities.

Andrea Miniciello Williams having a little rant on a video posted on YouTube by The Way (click on pic to watch)

Andrea Minichiello Williams, a member of the Church of England’s General Synod and head of the Christian Legal Centre, said:

If you hold views that are contrary to the prevailing orthodoxy you are seen as potential trouble. This is a real phenomenon. Christianity is now a bar to appointment or promotion.

41 Responses to “‘Persecuted Christians’ #2,436: True Believers are being denied top jobs in the UK”

1. ExPatriot says:

If I ran a business I would if all possible have a complete staff of Atheists working for me rather than whiney xians who usually have the bad habit of trying to convert everyone in sight

This is encouraging. Perhaps employers just find something flaky about people who believe in fantasies. And I suppose Christians see their true reward as being in the afterlife so why extend themselves here. They also form deceitful little cliques (my experience) where they will support each other while shafting non Christians. (This happened to me once.)

3. Irreverend Bastard says:

When “the faithful” insist on discriminating against other groups just because Jesus, then “the faithful” deserve to be discriminated against.

4. Stephen Mynett says:

The case of the whingeing nurse Chaplin is a good example of why some religious zealots should not be allowed to do certain jobs, despite the real problems of wearing certain forms of jewelery when nursing, Chaplin and her supporters were happy to put their beliefs ahead of patient care. There have also been cases where patients in care homes have been denied vital medication as the senior nurse was busy on their carpet looking towards Mecca.

The simple fact is, if you have strong beliefs that will stop you doing your job as well as it can be done you should not have that job.

5. Matt+Westwood says:

If it were only legal to discriminate on the grounds of religious persuasion I would make damn sure to have no xtians or muzzleims working for me, particularly in high management positions. But it’s not so I can’t.

One of the best examples of why Christians are bad news is Mother Theresa, currently headed for sainthood. This dreadful woman, friend of dictators and who flew first class, denied pain relieving drugs to her unfortunate victims – she thought pain was sanctifying (for others). £Millions contributed to her scam are still unaccounted for.

7. Daz says:

I managed to watch about half of the linked video. The sycophancy of the “interviewer” (read: “reader of prepared questions”) and her constant “mmm mmm mmm” of agreement were both annoying and nausea-inducing.

What couple nonsense, what about the unelected Bishops in the HoL and the religious cabal running the BBC? I agree with Broga that gangs of religious types form together to use lies and deceit against those who do share their beliefs and they also engage in nefarious activities to ensure more of their cult are employed or given positions of power. Tower Hamlets Council is a prime example.

I employed a guy once who turned out to be a Catholic nutter. After a couple of months and many warnings not to talk to our customers about his imaginary friend I fired him. He was a first class pain in the arse.

9. Clive says:

I simply don’t understand how apparently so many people have been excluded from selection because of their religion. If they are external candidates, nobody will even know their religion. Religion is never discussed at interviews and it is likely to get the interviewer into deep trouble if they even ask the interviewee their religion. For internal candidates, it is possible people know their religion, but I have never heard religion being discussed in the workplace and never heard of any discrimination because of a specific religion. I’m sure there have been exceptions, but not in large quantities and not against Christians. The only time Christians will be excluded is if they have been a complete jerk shouting about it, which is very rare in this country. Christian persecution just doesn’t stack up….again.

Is anyone else getting sick to the back teeth of xtians fantasising about being persecuted? It is such a transparent and infantile pretence it would be laughable if it wasn’t so pathetic. These idiots know as well as I do that what really irks them is the erosion of their privilege and influence. So do they wield the absolute truth which lies at the heart of their beliefs to convince a whole new generation to rally to the cross and shore up the church’s former position in society? Of course they don’t – they know that they have totally lost the vast majority of people currently under the age of 25. Instead they just bleat endlessly in the vain hope that someone will come to their rescue. I’m glad to say I can’t hear the rumble of hooves from over the distant horizon, just the rattling of an outdated and irrelevant institution breathing its last.

11. Ged Warren says:

I agree with commenters above. The idea that Christians are too honest for senior posts is bullshit. People who lie to themselves have less trouble lying to others.

As an employer I do discriminate against people I consider to have a tenuous grip on reality. I don’t care how it manifests itself but I do act upon it.

12. the Woggler says:

If (very big IF) this is true, I don’t think we should be celebrating. Equality means equality for everybody, regardless of religion.

13. Stephen Mynett says:

Woggler, discrimination is wrong but are they being discriminated against. If the decision not to employ is based on the inabilty to do the job properly that is totally acceptable. Many of the religious feel they have a god-given right to a job, regardless of whether they can do it it or not.

14. David Anderson says:

the Woggler; Sure equality matters but I don’t think it means that employers have to employ dumbarses.

15. Matt+Westwood says:

@AgentCormac: “Is anyone else getting sick to the back teeth of xtians fantasising about being persecuted?”

I have one word for such people: Pakistan.

Fucking fantasists. Did I link to the following on here before? I have seen plenty of evidence myself – first-hand during my years with them – of even the “Open Brethren” discriminating in favour of “believing” employees – especially when mwmbers of their owm familioes!

17. Col says:

An employer is more likely to employ someone who is obviously not mentally deranged than someone who obviously is.
    What is the issue with that?

18. Aidan Griffin says:

For Jaysus sake! I’d never employ anyone who believed in a talking snake.

Barry. I suggest we have a warning in the headline of news articles that contain photographs of foaming-at-the-mouth deranged Minichiello-Williams: “Warning, may contain photographs that some readers may find offensive”. Her photograph put me off my lunchtime sandwich.

20. Canada Dave says:

“it was suggested by economist Ruth Lea, of the Arbuthnot Banking Group, that the reason for this might be that Christians lacked ambition and were lazy:”

No …….it is most likely that those who do the hiring seek people who have the ability to ……think rationally.

21. Trevor Blake says:

Mgr Ignatius Suharyo, Mohammad-Hadi (Mostafa) Bordbar, Shahar Shoham and many others would be happy to discuss the persecution of Christians with Mr. Pierson and Ms. Williams. Providing, of course, the concept of ‘persecution’ was exaggerated to include imprisonment, beatings, arson, crucifixion (yes, right here in the 21st Century) and murder. I know the idea of a well-educated westerner not getting the job they want on demand is the REAL priority here, but indulge me. The good feelings of British Christians is what me must keep front and center.

There are persecuted Christians in the world – in Muslim countries.

22. the Woggler says:

We get enough stick for being intolerant. I’d rather not give these delusionists a real stick to beat us with

23. Thoreau says:

I wonder if this might be a manifestation of the documented correlation between academic achievement and atheism?

Thinking people get further? Not much of a surprise, is it?

Have they considered that to get a top job at say a biology company that you have to be ya-know EDUCATED!!!! If you think the world will end in a few years – evilution is wrong – science is wrong then being considered for a job in many fields will be closed to you.
    Get a real education, keep your religidiot ideas to yourself and do not preach your BS to coworkers and you may just be able to get somewhere.
    If you were doing anything more complicated then shoveling real schite, I would not hire any of you either.

If these Christians believe what they claim to believe then this must render them incapable in many disciplines. Geology – nope, the world was not created in 4004 BCE. The list is long; archaeology, anthropology, history, medicine (we can’t depend on prayer), physics, chemistry, the law, child care (We don’t think God should have slaughtered all those children), human rights (sorry, slavery is wrong) etc. etc. All, and so much else, clashes with their inerrant Bible.

Thoreau:

There’s some interesting stuff here:

27. Tom80 says:

What a load of rubbish: I am a practising Catholic , been retired 6 years, and all my working life, both in the Air Force and in civilian employment I cannot recall ever being discriminated against because of my religion. The facts are that most employers promote on merit and could not care less about your religious views or no religious views at all. In all the places I worked all my fellow workers were aware that I was practising Catholic and not once did I feel discriminated against. Sometimes people would talk to me about my faith but that was more to find out why I was a Catholic rather than anything else. The same went for the Muslims I worked with in one firm.

Just as a matter of interest I know five Priests who trained together, Three were “Oxbridge educated” and of these three, before training for the priesthood, one worked as a researcher at CERN, another for a well known firm of City accountants and the as a research Scientist for MOD. The other two were university educated and one was a solicitor with a well known law company in the Midlands and the other after his Chemistry MSC worked for certain high street chemist. going by my experience I would not say all Christians are stupid, they probably have the same ranges of intelligence as the rest of the population.

28. tony e says:

Broga,

As I pondered on what to put down on this, I read your last post and found it contained pretty much what I wanted to say.

The only thing I would add is that only religion demands exception from workplace holidays. You will find that non believers are happy to work xmas, easter, ramadan, etc. The religious will argue that it’s their celebration therefore they should have the time off.

You can just imagine the bleating from them if we were to ask for a week off to attend national science week.

@tony e: Some years ago a group of Christians where I worked had regular prayer meetings at lunch time. They assumed that they could extend their meetings into the afternoon while others had to cover for them. Their opinion, readily expressed, was that what they were doing was so important that it took precedence. For smug self righteousness they were star performers. I moved to another job shortly afterwards.

30. Brad Hart says:

Gotta wonder why businesses would want to keep fundamentalist nut jobs who think the second coming is near away from jobs that steer the company’s future development.

31. Matt+Westwood says:

@Tom80: “… I would not say all Christians are stupid, they probably have the same ranges of intelligence as the rest of the population.”

The telling word in your piece is “probably”. This means you’re guessing and don’t actually know, or you have not researched the facts.

Believing as a Christian is not incompatible with being highly educated, but being able to think rationally and logically most certainly *is* so incompatible, unless a person is able to compartmentalise his thinking. That is, while the full analytical consciousness can be allowed to hold sway when one is working on a task which requires scientific thinking, this can be completely switched off when it is time to meditate on virgin births, talking snakes and the magical transmogrification of plonk and biscuits into food for a ritual cannibalistic feast.

I’m with Agent Cormac on this one – the real reason they are screaming about being persecuted is because they know they are losing all the privileges and influence they have taken for granted for the last 2000 years. People are getting more educated and once they start to think for themselves instead of being told what to think….well,the rest is easy to conclude.

33. jay says:

There may be other forces at work here too. While it’s not discrimination against Christians, there is a strong pressure for companies to promote minorities… as well as the risk of lawsuits for firing minority members without a easily visible cause. (The atheists, I suspect are a different situation, probably tend to more educated as a group).

34. Maggie says:

They are not being discriminated against. It’s just that the pool of Christians is ever diminishing; ergo, there are fewer Christians available to rise to the top.

35. Daz says:

Maggie, I assume it was worked out on a percentage basis.

A thought occurs. I wonder what it looks like when broken down by denomination. My guess would be that if the more vehement evangelicals, biblical-literalists, creationists and the like were ignored, then the results would be much less skewed away from Christians.

@Tom80: You write, “I am a practising Catholic.” You have my sympathy. I assume your practice involved eating human flesh and drinking blood. Believing that however often the flesh and blood of Jesus is eaten by however millions of people there is still plenty left.

I suppose you are also in thrall to the weird pronouncements coming from the Vatican: e.g. contraception in an overcrowded world is forbidden (most RCs, except the ignorant) ignore this. Celibacy, a weird perversion, is seen as the height of virtue and forced on unsuspecting young priests who have no hope of obeying that nonsensical requirement.

37. Robster says:

I say…How is this bad news?

38. […] 'Persecuted Christians' #2,436: True Believers are being denied top … Go to this article […]

39. Don says:

Isn’t it the case that atheists are less likely to have criminal convictions and more likely to have higher qualifications?

There’s a possible factor right there.

As for the idea that christians just won’t stoop to the kind of sharp practce that goes on at the top, that implies that jews and hindus are fine with being sneaky.

@Don: The Vatican is increasingly relying on the poorly educated and the priest ridden regions of the world to maintain its big numbers of followers. Its worst enemy is education which leads to access to the internet and criticism of its vile doctrines and practices.