Bishop

Bishop Mark Davies

The Rt Rev Mark Davies was delivering his grim message to more than 1,000 young Catholics, aged between 16 and 30, at a five-day prayer-fest in Norfolk. He urged them to make a “clear stand” for their faith after recent Government data which suggest Christians living in Britain will soon become a minority.

The bishop told his audience that the results of the last census suggested most Britons would not describe themselves as Christians by 2020. A recent think-tank warned that 4,000 churches could close by 2020 if congregations continue to shrink at current rates.

Bishop Davies said:

With more than three million in Rio last month and with more than a thousand in Walsingham this weekend, we might not really feel like a minority but that is what Christians are about to become in this country of ours.

By 2020, if the analysis of the recent census is to be believed, most people in this land will no longer identify themselves in any way as Christians.

It’s a situation you already know well as young people of 21st century Britain – a situation which will surely demand of new generations of Catholics a clear stand, an inspirational lead and, as the Gospel reminds us today, a human struggle.

Davies has been one of the most outspoken critics of the Government’s plans to legalise gay marriage and used an Easter address to criticise the proposals.

Meanwhile, the Catholic Church in France also appears to be on its last legs. According to this recent report, more than one-third (35 percent) of France’s overll population and almost two-thirds (63 percent) of youth said they belonged to “no religion” and very few people,  just an estimated one in 20, regularly attend Mass.

Innocent

Innocent Fuegna

Not only are France’s church-goers aging, so are church officials – the average priest in the country is now 75, forcing the importation of foreigners to conduct religious services.

Feugna added:

Young people [in France] have different aspirations. Their interests lie elsewhere. The Church perhaps doesn’t have the right message for young people here.

Commented Douglas Yates, assistant professor of political science at the American University of Paris and professor at the American Graduate School in Paris:

As the priests in France get older, they are being replaced by Africans, particularly in rural areas, a phenomenon that draws not a little attention in the mass media. If the trend continues, the Catholic church will become a minority religion.  Already it is eye-to-eye with agnostic and atheists. Modern France is a secular society.

And all the better for it too!

Hat tip: BarrieJohn

95 Responses to “Christianity is dying in England, and in France Catholic priests are only preaching to pensioners”

1. untamed says:

Believe in or not, we are all going to give back our bodies in the end. The earth will deliver all the remaining’s to the sun when it will be a red giant and boom, reset.

It should be “Jesus’s name” in any case – or “Jesu’s name”!

3. Barry Duke says:

If, like me, you’ve been wondering why this post has attracted so many comments from “newbies”, here the reason:

We achieved sixth place on Reddit thanks to Mepper who placed it there, and this post has had almost 30,000 hits over the last couple of days.

4. Daz says:

Barriejohn

I remember a lengthy conversation in a chat-room, many moons ago, about ____s’ versus ____s’s. Twas cleared up by an English teacher in the end. Apparently both are “correct” and it’s largely a matter of personal preference.

@ Erin Pascal

What a load of drivelling sanctimonious tosh! It’s brainless, pietistic, condescending prigs like you who make me want to tear down every church in the world with my bare hands.

They allow Jesus’ and Moses’ because of the difficulty of pronouncing the double s, but I don’t like it myself. We have a St Thomas’ Street here in Lymington, and it always annoys me (grammar nazi). Strangely enough there is a St James’s Park in London and a St James’ Park in Newcastle. Make what you will of that!

@Erin Pascal: So God is caring for you, is he? Meanwhile, there are millions, including children, suffering and your God seems unconcerned about them. Your God, were he to exist, would be a monster, demanding endless flattery and behaving like the worst kind of arbitrary dictator. Wake up! There is no God.

8. Matt+Westwood says:

@Broga: I’ve just stepped over to Erin Pisscurl’s blog and it’s like her comment here except it’s worse and it goes on longer.

@ Matt+Westwood

I was stupid enough to do exactly the same. The word nauseating springs to mind.

Matt: You’re so right. I miss alot of the commenstthat have to await moderation, so thanks for that!

This amazing story is proof that God does not abandon us, and that prayer is quite powerful. Miracles happen all around us, we just need to take notice of these great works.

I’m losing the will to live.

11. Daz says:

Ugh! That blog made me regret eating me dinner!

Barriejohn, my rule of thumb, though I don’t stick to it as much as I should (as you noted), is to use s's on words which end with an s, but s' where the s is added to form a plural. It seems to reflect how we actually pronounce such words.

Daz: That’s the usual rule, but names can be treated differently.

13. PBrain says:

I think it’s called education,critical thinking and the fact people have access to more information.Without being biased ,the level of education is probably a lot less in Cameroon than in Europe,hence the lack of church attendees,and the catholic church certainly wants power over as many people as it can. Whether they like it or not the time is coming where christianity will only reside amongst those with a poor level of knowledge,and I for one,can not wait,because the claims it makes are simply not true.
    Oh,you have faith? Prove your claims ,or go away,bb…

It does make me smile when the religious trolls come here to spout their nonsense as if that is all it takes to convince us they are right and we are wrong. 99% of these people are just hit and run twits who can’t keep their sickness to themselves or make a sound case. We do get the odd one putting up a good fight defending the indefensible and I hope that we may actually make them question their beliefs.

@Matt+Westwood: I’ve just had a look at Erin’ blog and I can only conclude that this in one sad woman. Imagine living life with these daft beliefs? Prayer is “quite powerful”. I liked that “quite.” And miracles happen all around us. An example being when God lets you be smashed up in a car crash and then decides to save you. But he is omniscient. He knows in advance what is going to happen.

There is a glutinous tone to the comments of people like Erin. Sickly, whiny and so, so preachy. Pathetic woman. She should get a life.

@ Broga

I concur. You can almost hear her smug, patronising tone seeping from every last word.

I did wonder how she thought working hard to provide for your family can only bear fruit if god blesses that work. If you follow that torturous bit of logic the ‘almighty’ must look very favourably on the endeavours of people like bankers, oligarchs and stock brokers – you know, the super-rich scumbags who steal from the rest of us so they can live in the lap of luxury. Seemingly Erin doesn’t have an explanation for that on her website.

17. Ryan morrigan says:

@barriejohn… First, I know who said what, but instead of listing the three or four of you people who blab on every single post just to hear yourselves talk, I thought I’d just address the most pompous and speak on several points you all seem to share. Second, how is ranting about Muslims racist? Islam is a religion, not a race. I believe Dawkins recently had to deal with the same thing, having to clarify this point to retards like yourself. Third, illegal immigration is relevant because it is a major vector through which Muslims enter Western Europe. Fourth, if you think a world with open borders is a good idea, then you obviously have no interest in cultural preservation. I mean really, do you actually think we shouldn’t screen people? I’m all for immigration, but do it the right way. Learn the language. Learn and respect the law. Accept that the law supercedes religious beliefs. Assimilate to a reasonable degree. With open borders anyone can just walk in, criminals and terrorists included, piss all over our law and culture and suck up government benefits. THAT is what’s killing California. I know… I lived there for thirty years. Your cute little utopia where the world holds hands as one is a nice sentiment, if you’re a child who knows nothing of how the world works. Fifth, Rome fell for many reasons, not least of which was cultural erosion through an over influx of barbarian peoples. Take a few real college courses on the subject and you’ll know, instead of just reading your grade school text book. And lastly, yes, I’m aware of your past fanaticism. I myself used to be Christian…when I was 13. I don’t think your cranial miswirings have been completely fixed yet because your black and white childish reasoning seems to be a leftover from religion. Just because I don’t share your naive view of a world without borders where politics and economics somehow cease to exist, doesn’t mean I’m right wing. I voted for Obama. Twice. And I can’t wait for Hillary. I’m pro gay, pro science, pro environment, pro middle class, vehemently atheist, bisexual, nudist (when lawful)…need I go on? Your insistence that a liberal follow every single platform issue is evidence that you still can’t think for yourself. I AM a liberal. But you, sir, I fear, are still a fundamentalist, just playing for another team now. And yes, I realize I addressed points brought by your lackies as well, but since you sheeple all attack me at once, I’m just simplifying my response.

18. Gore says:

This world is getting a little bit brighter.

R Morrigan: As you obviously can’t engage in a civil debate I suggest that you just fuck off.

20. Ryan morrigan says:

“Fuck off” is civil? Sounds like I hit a nerve. Sorry Pastor John.

21. Matt+Westwood says:

“then you obviously have no interest in cultural preservation. I mean really, do you actually think we shouldn’t screen people? I’m all for immigration, but do it the right way. ”

Well we should have fucking screened you for entry into the world at your point of birth.

22. Matt+Westwood says:

@Ryan Morrigan: when I was at school, way, way before my voice broke or anything tacky like that, we used to play a little game that went “I’m the king of the castle, get down you dirty rascals!”

Funny that, we sort of grew out of it when we started learning about primate psychology, territorial imperatives, and other factors in the study of history, particularly in respect of causes of wars. And bugger me if there wasn’t a lot about how there’s a lot of “haves” sitting on a considerable quantity of resources, fighting off a bunch of “have nots” who the “haves” decided don’t have to right to share any of the resources the “haves” possess.

The first step to stemming a wave of immigration is to start improving the place they come from, and that is usually done by stopping treating the source nation of that immigration as a slave race, a race of underlings: “wetbacks” I think you called them in Califuckoffbacktherenia. But I won’t bother to repeat the facts that immigration actually improves the social health of a nation because you’ve made up the thick bigoted block of concrete you call a “mind” and you’re too fucking stupid to understand what a cunt you are.

23. Daz says:

… And at this point I decided that Ryan was a total fuckwit, and stopped reading.

24. Ryan morrigan says:

@matty…LEGAL immigration improves the social health of a nation. It takes a lot of time, money and commitment to enter the country legally, not to mention swearing an oath, learning at least some basic language and history. ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION is not beneficial. Their disregard for our law is evident right away by the act of dismissing our law and cutting ahead of legal immigrants by sneaking in. They don’t pay taxes, yet they get the benefit of welfare, food stamps, public education, emergency room services, etc. This is an economics killer. It is a mathematical fact that this is unsustainable. Also, I would agree that fixing their country would help the problem except that you’re forgetting the main problem…their CULTURE is what turned their country into a shithole in the first place. How do you fix that? And now, they want to bring that culture to our countries. You, sir, are what’s called a cultural relativist. Cultural relativists claim that as long as something is cultural, it’s beautiful. They claim no culture in inferior or superior. So is Saudi Arabian culture just as good as ours? I’d argue not, for obvious reasons, and I’d argue the same about Mexico. American and Western European culture IS superior as is indicated by one simple fact…THEY are coming HERE, not the other way around. And they do not assimilate. And once our culture is theirs, our countries will be just as shitty as the ones they came from. Do a little research on Japan if you don’t value cultural preservation. You’re just as close minded to evidence and reality as a theist, just in reference to something else. I think you’ve been drinking too much of Pastor John’s sacramental wine.

25. Daz says:

Their disregard for our law is evident right away by the act of dismissing our law and cutting ahead of legal immigrants by sneaking in. They don’t pay taxes, yet they get the benefit of welfare, food stamps, public education, emergency room services, etc. This is…

…bullshit. In order to claim most, if not all, of these things, the person in question will need to provide identification, which an illegal immigrant will not have. How difficult is this concept to master?

26. There’s also the unremitting attacks upon Christianity by Western establishments. That said, the RC church has not helped itself with its handling of the clerical child abuse crisis.

27. Ryan morrigan says:

@Daz… True, it SHOULD work like that, but it doesn’t. You may not be American or maybe just don’t have experience dealing with these problems directly, but it simply doesn’t work that way here. Did you know that illegal immigrants in many states are able to pay in-state tuition (much cheaper) for college, while CITIZENS from another state have to pay out-of-state tuition? Did you know that there are tons of government funded scholarships solely for illegals? Did you know that the verification system for welfare and the like are so sketchy that it is actually much easier to get benefits if you’re illegal? Did you know that companies supply illegals with phony social security numbers for such things? Or how about the massive shutdown of emergency rooms because (as stated by the hospitals) too many uninsured illegals show up which leads to hospital bankruptcy? Did you know that one of the major pillars of the economy of Mexico is cash money earned under the table in the US (UNTAXED) that is sent right out of US circulation to support relatives in Mexico? I’m not making any of this up. I read a lot of state and federal budgets and reports. All this crap really happens. I think that’s what you relativists fail to grasp…there is a discrepancy between the way things should work, are designed to work…and how they actually work.

28. Daz says:

Citations please.

29. Daz says:

Ryan, what you appear to be saying is that your laws—especially regarding corporation accountability and labour-related—are so lax; due, presumably, to those corporations lobbying to keep them lax, that they’re easily evaded or avoided.

If you really want to solve the problem of illegal foreign labour, pass (and actually enforce) some effective laws against employing illegals. Pass a minimum-hourly-rate law (and enforce it rigorously) so that illegals can’t easily undercut citizens. Stop kicking your labour-unions in the teeth, and they will help to enforce such laws.

Oh, and get a frickin’ state-funded health service.

STOP WATCHING FOX BLOODY NEWS.

You guys made this mess with your “small government” bullshit. Either clean it up, or shut up.

30. Ryan morrigan says:

All very good ideas, Daz. I too am for labor unions, federal healthcare and government regulation in corporations, essential entities and utilities. Like I said, I am a liberal. Soak that into your brain a bit because you apparently aren’t understanding it. Also, I don’t watch tv so FOX news is not a factor, lol. I READ. Like I said, I read government budgets and reports, on top of general news reporting. Unfortunately, OUR desire for stronger unions and bigger government can’t be realized in a country where Republicans have a permanent affair with corporations and a stranglehold on our legislation. And even on the rare occasion that the liberals (I.e. MY PARTY) gets their way, the only thing they ever want to do with illegals is grant them amnesty. Wherever you’re getting your view of reality, it must be the liberal version of FOX. I prefer raw data, unbiased. And the data shows us sinking fast. Have you ever actually looked at the California budget? I have. It’s horrendous. All the money goes directly to benefit illegals. Have you ever actually lived in a city where the census reports that over 70% of the population is undocumented? Or a neighborhood where it’s virtually 100%? I have. It’s like living in a third world country. Filthy. They don’t care enough to come here legally, why would they care to keep their neighborhood nice? Trash, graffiti, gangs, you name it. They don’t value quality of life. They value breeding. It is normal for them to have several children before they finish high school, which I’m paying for with my taxes. Ive WORKED with these people. They actually brag about how easy it is to take advantage of the system, and then they bitch about how much they hate this country that they’re taking advantage of. So, this leads me to wonder where your ignorance on the subject comes from. Are you even an American? Because you clearly have no idea what the holy fuck you’re talking about.

31. Ryan morrigan says:

Btw we have a minimum hourly rate…us AMERICANS call it minimum wage, and illegals slip under it as easily as they slip across the border. Minimum wage can’t be applied to under the table earnings, dipshit.

32. Matt+Westwood says:

@Ryan: Go back to school and learn your grammar, you’re showing yourself up as being thick as pigshit: it’s “we Americans” not “us Americans”. Learn the difference between subject and object, and the nominative and accusative case; and while you’re about it, learn how to structure your rants into coherent theses.

The problem you talk about would go away if your upper classes didn’t routinely employ Mexican immigrants under slave conditions. So get your own shit-heap nation in order before coming onto our websites and lecturing us about ours.

Oh, and “liberal” when used by a fucking Yank means “right-wing fascist” when translated into English.

33. Ryan morrigan says:

@matty…Since you spent half your response irrelevantly correcting my grammar I suspect you have no reasoned response to most of my points. You don’t see me pointing out your bad comma use or confusion of tenses. We’re not taking a fucking test. The one point you do reiterate is the same one I’ve been making all along… that politics keeps immigration policy from being drafted, enforced, or often even talked about to any useful degree. Righties want illegals to work for them, lefties want illegals to vote for them, so no one does anything. Only difference is lefties often guise it under political correctness. It happens here in my shit-heap country, and it happens in yours. Oh, and “liberal” when used by a buck-toothed sister-porkin’ Brit means right. When an American uses it it means left. Dumbshit.

34. Gary Williams says:

Pascals blog is a common story told by believers who, like when they quote from the Bible, only quote the good bits. The accident is true, it happened a few years ago now and Lentz was trapped and a priest did appear. His name was Dowling. He happened to be passing through the area (he was from missouri) and was stuck in the traffic jam caused by the car accident. His car was behind a large lorry, also held up, so he wasn’t seen getting out or getting back in. No one knew him because he wasn’t from around there. No angels, no miracle, just a car accident.

35. Daz says:

Ryan, either these earnings are “under the table” or, and I quote, “companies supply illegals with phony social security numbers.” On the face if it—assuming that to do the latter, the firm needs to declare the worker’s existence—these two statements would appear to be mutually exclusive.

And whatever happened to “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free”?

And what on Earth does this have to do with mostly-legal Muslim immigrants in Europe and the UK?

Obvious troll is obvious.

@morrigan: Mr morrigan – your ego is SO large you just can’t see past it. Your self-absorption and self-righteousness is on a par with the pathologically religious. You come across as a liberal fascist.

38. Matt+Westwood says:

“Oh, and “liberal” when used by a buck-toothed sister-porkin’ Brit means right. When an American uses it it means left. Dumbshit.”

Exactly my point. You fascist pricks who have the fucking cheek to call yourself “humans” are so far to the right of any sane and sensible rationalist that what you call “liberal” we would call “conservative”. What *we* would call “liberal” you would call “pinko commie limp-wristed faggot.”

My front teeth, by the way, are not protruding, although I fail to see why that would be considered a character flaw.

39. Ted Grant says:

I visited Walsingham earlier this year. The whole town seems to have become a Holy Center linked to a miracle. A woman was having trouble getting a house built. The builders kept telling her they had problems, so she prayed to the Virgin Mary and the following morning the building was completed. Apparently, Angels did the work! A local priest investigated and determined that it was indeed a miracle and established a shrine for pilgrims to visit. In fact, several sects have set up various religious visitor centers including a Jewish one (which seemed very odd). You can buy all sorts of religious artifacts (junk) and get yourself sprinkled with holy water at set times (at a price). Curious, I asked a “guide” for the location of the miraculous building. She said, we think it was in that field over there (pointing). I said, what do you mean, “think”. She said it isn’t there any more! That seemed very odd to me, a building, supposedly erected with the aid of the Virgin Mary and doesn’t exist anymore! Careless I call it. Several shops had religious items in the windows, but there was one that didn’t. It had an advert for ice-cream and as it was a hot day I decided to buy one. I went in the shop and for a joke, asked for a Holy Vanilla Ice-cream. The man didn’t understand. I said you should jump on the band wagon and claim your ice-cream is Holy, that’s a trick that will increase your sales. He gave me a worried look as I left the shop. Nice ice-cream, but not Holy.

40. […] A WARNING has been sounded by the Catholic Bishop of Shrewsbury that Christians may soon become “strangers in our own land”. The Rt Rev Mark Davies was delivering his grim […] (@Fr3dom_Inc A good descriptor for Christian religion.  […]

41. John Hunt says:

“Father Innocent Feugna, an African deacon who works at St Pierre de Guise in northern France, complained that his congregation in aging and dying out. He lamented:

“Here I’m preaching to pensioners. In Cameroon, [the Catholic] Mass is animated, it’s alive – here services are still flat and cold. In Cameroon, the churches are full. We’ve got children. We’ve got adults, all ages. It’s completely different from France.”

Only two months ago, the BBC reported:

“Prominent Cameroonian gay rights activist and journalist Eric Lembembe has been killed in the capital, Yaounde, … Mr Lembembe’s neck and feet appeared to have been broken and his face, hands, and feet burned with an iron”

If this god isn’t a vicious homophobic ****, his followers certainly are! :-( :-( :-(

42. Tom Morris says:

Re: Ryan
    Wow, for someone who professes to be sooo liberal, you sure are closed minded. You bash California, which I happen to think is a wonderful state, in large part due to it’s diversity. What nirvana state of intolerance do you live in? I did’nt know there was a place in the US that is so afraid of learning from others? I would not want to be your neighbor.