A PAIR of Christian miseries who gained notoriety for refusing accommodation to a gay couple at their Cornish B&B is being forced to sell up – but not, it seems, because guests found their bigotry hard to stomach, but because they are simply not cut out for the hospitality business.

Welcoming presence: Mary Bull lies in wait for customers behind her Jesus Christ is Lord reception desk

Welcoming presence: Hazelmary Bull lurks in waiting for customers behind her Jesus Christ is Lord reception desk

One Christian reviewer on Trip Advisor had this to say of Peter and Hazelmary Bull’s Chymorvah Hotel:

Awful! Simply Awful.

I am Christian but that’s not the reason I went there. But I felt the place had a terrible atmosphere. I am vegetarian and there was a very limited menu. I felt like I committed a crime when I mentioned I was vegetarian. The look I received from woman could kill you. The room was cramped, not particularly clean and smelled strange, it was also cold and damp.

I really don’t like the thought of religion being forced down my throat whilst on holiday/taking a short break. I wanted to enjoy my time but I felt like I was a burden to this hotel not a guest.

It’s a real shame because it could be a lot better if the rooms were cleaner/up to date and fresh and the people running the hotel more hospitable.

Another even more damning review was headed “Avoid Chymorvah – dirty unsafe hotel and a religious nightmare.”

Review

The hotel, according to this report, operated a strict policy of letting only married couples share a bed, a stance the owners said was due to religions reasons. But they fell foul of the law in 2008 when the couple refused to allow civil partners Martyn Hall and Steven Preddy to stay in one of their double bedrooms. This was judged to be a violation of the 2007 Equalities Act, for which the hoteliers were forced to pay £3,600 in damages.

Now the joyless duo are claiming that the controversy has forced them to put their £750,000 hotel on the market. Loss of custom has left them unable to pay the mortgage on their nine-bedroom property, as well as a need to cover ongoing legal costs. At the time of the controversy, the couple argued that their policy of restricting double rooms to married couples was not targeted at sexual orientation but sexual practise, believing that sex outside marriage is a sin.

Mrs Bull  told the Western Daily Press.

We have had a better summer than we thought but nowhere near good enough to pay our way. Last winter was terrible. We were actually shivering and were hungry. In 2013, two people who worked all their lives at this have ended up cold and hungry. It’s not right.

This is like a death in the family. I never thought it would end like this. We are not facing the future with any real enthusiasm.

In October, the Bulls are due to have their case heard in the Supreme Court, after an initial appeal was dismissed by the Court of Appeal.

At present, a poll run by the Huff Post has 50 percent of readers expressing sympathy for the pair.

27 Responses to “‘Nightmare’ Cornwall B&B, run by a joyless pair of Christian fundies, is forced out of business”

1. Stephen Mynett says:

How, if their god is so wonderful and providing, can she make the statement: “We are not facing the future with any real enthusiasm.”

It does not say much for her belief in the faith she has been using to discriminate others.

2. Matt+Westwood says:

Market forces trump God’s loving hand every single time.

3. Ryan morrigan says:

If these homophobes simply read their fairytale book they’d see that polygamy, not monogomy, is the most prevalent and “god-approved” form of marriage, followed close behind by incest and sexual slavery. But man, what we really have to focus on is those two single verses that equate homosexuality to being a sin on par with eating shrimp.

4. asquith says:

THE LORD WON’T PROVIDE!

Typical loony christians blame the Gays rather than themselves for their business failure; their god clearly hates this pair.

SM: I answered that one on the previous thread. When all is going to plan that is a sign that God is with you; when things go badly it is a sign that you are doing God’s work and the devil and all his minions are mad at you. Simples.

He’s a wily old bugger!

Here’s a little jem witch I fownd on the internet wile reserching the gesthouse case. It really made I laugh!

Comments:

This is outrageous. Why should a couple be forced to accept perverts in their own home?

As for the Bournemouth case, thanks for the tip! If I find myself on the south coast, I will NOT be visiting the Hamilton House of Horrors! (Hamilton Hall gay guest house – clothing optional!!)

8. T says:

Good riddance. They will not be missed. Hope the premises is not converted into a mosque though.

9. Barry Duke says:

Meanwhile, our long-gone troll, Hob Button, admits to finding Jesus in “coffer bar”.

As an aside, two weeks ago I found a Jesus working in an electronics shop at Alicante airport.

We got along marvellously well and I can now claim to have Jesus’ telephone number.

As an extra aside, my cute-as-button Jesus is an atheist!

10. Robster says:

Do the buggers running the joint pray to their baby jesus? If not why not? I recon I know and the answer is that praying is as useful as peeing into a strong breeze. If the jesus/holy spook/god fantasy are/is on their side as they’d surely claim, the inaction of their chosen deity would suggest it’s not there. simple really.

Robster: But “Gohhhhd” is teaching them valuable lessons for eternity! This is a very seductive argument, and obviously inspired a lot of the thinking of Norman Vincent Spiel and the “Positive Thinking” brigade (whose books still fill library and bookshop shelves, I notice, making these parasites and their estates enormously rich). Some of what they say is of value, and I still like that little poem asking “God” to help you to accept the things in life that you cannot change, though it has precious little to do with the teachings of the Bible, where mountains can be shovelled into the sea by the power of thought alone. I can see the relevance of all this in an age when humankind had little influence on the things that happened to it but passive acceptance is hardly the powerhouse of progress, is it?

Barry: This guy also has Jesus’ phone number.

“What, were you born in a barn?” – hahahahaha!!!!!

13. tony e says:

barriejohn,

Cheers for the link.

I especially liked the following, very selective, passage.

‘In Spain alone, during the dark ages, between 300 and 400 thousand Christians died in the Spanish Inquisition at the hands of Rome. They were being tortured and slain left and right, but those Christians would not give in.

What the writer of this article blatantly fails to mention is the Inquisition was a case of Christians killing Christians.

tony e: But Catholics aren’t True Christians™!

I see that their website is still up and running. The little fish in the top right hand corner might act as a warning of what to expect!

Here at Chymorvah you will be met
    by a friendly welcome. Besides excellent food in plenty and comfortable beds, you will find a warm hospitality and much happiness, mingled with good service.

They also advertise a desert menu – locusts and wild honey, perhaps?

16. Stuart H. says:

They made the classic mistake of any bad business – failure to consider what the punter wants – so they failed. End of. The rest is nonsense.
    Actually,(though I probably shouldn’t give them ideas) as my local tourist board seems to be angling for some sort of Christian heritage tourist market, they fail due to even ignoring their best potential market- fellow fundies who might just fancy that sort of wierd retreat from secular reality. Though it’s also funny and pertinent that all the fundies who think it’s such a shame don’t put their money where their mouth is and go there on holiday.

17. Stephen Mynett says:

Great website Barriejohn, quite funny in places. I Liked this bit from the history section: “Chymorvah once knew a quality of life and a life-style that disappeared as part of a by-gone age.”

Perhaps they should have followed that with: “We aim to bring that back but are currently awaiting a witch-burning licence.”

18. Ben Lynema says:

As a humanist, I do feel some sympathy if they are actually suffering. Personally, as a lover of poetic justice, I think it would be quite swell if the only way they could be “saved” was to accept charity from a secular group funded by the LGTB community, secular humanists, or even “devil worshiping” atheists such as myself. It would be like salt in the wound to such people.

19. christine says:

Perhaps they have not prayed to their god for help, because we all know tjat works lol.

@Ben Lynema. Suffering, suffering! They brought it upon themselves by being useless at business and being bigoted religious wackos. They have a valuable property in a prime location so could sell up and retire to write more moaning stories for the Daily Mail.

21. David T says:

They’re blaming the gay couple for all their problems really. I imagine the hotel was in financial straights long before Hall and Preddy booked in. Their legal costs are being paid for the Christian Legal Centre. Also, Mr Bull underwent major heart surgery last year. They should be retired already.

22. Joe says:

When things are going well for you, you thank god. When things aren’t, you blame people. Derp.

23. Bubblecar says:

Does seem to be completely the wrong business for people who clearly do a lot of frowning on fleshly indulgence of one form or another. You wouldn’t expect to be well fed on fine food in plush surroundings by people like these.

24. T says:

She has a face like a slapped arse and the resemblance is metaphoric too with respect to the gushings of the orifice. If I had the poor judgement to have booked in with someone as unsavoury is she looks and thinks I would not even check in. I would have to turn around, walk straight out and sleep in the car.

25. […] Remember the Christian couple who run a bed and breakfast in Cornwall and refused accommodation to a gay couple because their religion? They’re going out of business, but not because everything fell apart after they lost their case – no, it’s because their b&b is shit. It sounds like Fawlty Towers except dirtier and with extra added piety. Barry Duke at the Freethinker gives us the insalubrious details. […]

26. […] who were ordered to pay damages to a gay couple after they refused them accommodation at their “nightmare” guesthouse were allegedly subjected today to “a hostile” interview on […]