UNDER Jewish law, if a husband refuses to grant his wife a religious divorce, known as a “get”, the woman has the right to request a rabbinical court to take action.

This can prove expensive – and very painful indeed, if this bizarre report is to be believed.

It revolves around the arrest of two orthodox rabbis and eight other men in an FBI sting in New Jersey and New York. They stand accused of plotting to kidnap and torture a man to force him to grant a religious divorce.

They suited up for the task at a New Jersey warehouse by donning Halloween masks and bandannas. One suspect wore a garbage bag over his clothes while another slipped on a Metallica T-shirt on top of his clothes.

Rabbis Mendel Epstein and Martin Wolmark charged Jewish women and their families thousands of dollars to extract “gets” from unwilling husbands, the FBI said.

Rabbis

Rabbis

Rabbi Mendel Epstein is a prominent ultra-Orthodox divorce mediator in Brooklyn, NY, who this summer published a Bill of Rights of a Jewish Wife, and Rabbi Martin “Mordachai” Wolmark is the head of Yeshiva Shaarei Torah in Monsey, NY.

Assistant US Attorney Joseph Gribko told a judge on Thursday in a federal court hearing:

They didn’t do it out of religious conviction They did it for money.

The rabbis and the other men were arrested as a result of an undercover operation that began in August when two FBI agents, one posing as a woman trying to get a divorce, contacted the rabbis. According to the FBI, Epstein spoke about forcing compliance through “tough guys” who use electric cattle prods and even place plastic bags over the heads of husbands.

The organisation involved in the alleged plot had been involved in up to 20 kidnappings over the years.

The undercover agents, including a man posing as the woman’s brother, met with Epstein at his Ocean County home in August. Epstein is quoted as saying during the conversation, which was videotaped:

Basically what we are going to be doing is kidnapping a guy for a couple of hours and beating him up and torturing him and then getting him to give the get.

Epstein is also quoted saying he wanted to use a cattle prod to torture the reluctant husband.

If it can get a bull that weighs five tons to move … you put it in certain parts of his body and in one minute, the guy will know.

He said that his group did a kidnapping every year to year-and-a-half, and that the cost is $10,000 for a rabbinical court to approve the action and $50,000 to $60,000 for the enforcers.

In this report, Monsey Rabbi David Eldensohn, a rabbinical court member, said beating a man into signing a religious divorce makes the separation invalid.

I’m shocked that people who call themselves rabbis would get involved in coercion. If a woman obtains a get in such a manner and remarries, her marriage is not legal and she would be considered living in sin. If she has children, the children are considered born out of wedlock, and that’s considered a disgrace in the community.

20 Responses to “Kidnappings and cattle prods – rabbinical ‘courts’ have painful ways of enforcing divorce”

1. sailor1031 says:

People of faith demonstrating their superior moral compass again?

It is wonderful when secular laws can put these Aholes where they belong. But then again the jew Aholes can only do these types of things to people who accept their authority because if someone like me married a jew woman and she tried this, the rabbis would find themselves in real trouble not just jail time. Because I DON’T accept their authority and I also carry Thomas A. Swift’s Electric Rifle and a few other nice things to inflect heavy bodily injury and pain.
    But I don’t really feel sorry for any guy they do this to, as they accept the BS religion, and the BS authority of the rabbis so tough schite to the guys who this happens to. If they stood up to the rabbis, shaved, told them to take their BS and shovel it! Most of the problems vanish. Its only the kids in these situations I have any sympathy for.

And of course the seemingly nicer ….Monsey Rabbi David Eldensohn, a rabbinical court member, said beating a man into signing a religious divorce makes the separation invalid….
    Sounds nice? Right?

…….I’m shocked that people who call themselves rabbis would get involved in coercion…… he still sounds fairly nice.

…….If a woman obtains a get in such a manner and remarries, her marriage is not legal and she would be considered living in sin….. Silly nonsense but still sounds OK.

….. If she has children, the children are considered born out of wedlock, and that’s considered a disgrace in the community….. And then shows everyone that his community and he are still Aholes anyway!!! Blame the innocent victims as usual!!!

L.Long: I share your opinion. If the men, or the women, didn’t accept the religious nonsense they would do what they wanted without the so called authority of a rabbi. As is often the case in religion the bottom line isn’t their faith but a hunger for cash, sex or status. And often all three.

5. Trevor Blake says:

It takes a few rabbi to do this and thousands of faithful to shield them. It takes one Olympic bomber to blow up women’s clinics and thousands of faithful to shield them. It takes a few priests to rape children and thousands of faithful to shield them. It takes a few Muslims to hijack planes and thousands of Muslims to shield them.

Thus, the withering twin suns of my atheism. Reason and informed argument, mainly for the deceptive leaders. Scorn and ridicule, mainly for the deceived. As cruel as that is, I do not and will not be kidnapping and torturing men, raping children, hijacking planes, setting off bombs, or the rest. I write biting words on the Internet and in magazines. No ‘Thought of the Day’ for me. No tax-exemption for me. I will keep my hatred strong to keep me strong until all of us can laugh at how foolish we were.

6. Ryan morrigan says:

Unrelated, but just wanted to say I met Richard Dawkins in person last night. Shook his hand. Books signed. Took in a lecture. Good times.

7. Zarathustra says:

Same as the ‘Taliban’….. Different Hats, same ‘Pre-historical’ thinking. If one of these ‘Cretins’ ever darkens my door, he’ll leave in a body-bag…..

8. Zarathustra says:

L.Long…. You’re a sick Mother-porker!!!!

9. charlie says:

That rabbi Eldensohn guy cracks me up with his “no true Scotsman would ever do…………..Oh, wait, they DID?. Never mind” LOL
    Organized religion is THE worst thing we humans have ever invented. Of course any “true believer” can and will do crazy/obscene shit, their religion allows them to do so.
    I also agree that any guy who was a “victim” of these clowns got what he had coming just for being a follower of bat shit crazy religion.

10. Eli says:

The poor rabbis can never win! If they don’t try to help the women divorce then they are accused of “not doing enough”. Then when they actually try to help the poor women being held ransom by their vicious ex-husbands they get condemned.

Physical violence against men who don’t give their wives divorces is commended in the bible. If God approves of it then who are we to argue with him?

Zarathustra? I’m Sick????….. As another said: “I do not and will not be kidnapping and torturing men, raping children, hijacking planes, setting off bombs,”…. or any of the other schite done by religious motivated delusional psychos.
    What makes you think I’M sick??

12. outdamnedspock says:

I find that it pays to keep my god’s anti-rabbis vaccinations up to date. Sorry! I meant ‘dog’s’.

13. Canada Dave says:

@ Broga…
    “What kind of perverted thinking goes on whereby words forced out on the end of a cattle prod are accepted as having any validity?”

I believe they call that form of thinking….religion ;o)

L.Long: Either Zarathustra didn’t realize that your comments were ironic, or it’s not clear that HIS were. Confusion reigns!

Over 50 pilgrims killed in a temple stampede again:

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone has a blog somewhere keeping track of all these cases!

@Canada Dave: Yup. You got it. And it’s a weird business this religion. A victim forced to recant under extreme torture has his/her change of mind accepted. Even stranger – in my view anyway – are those who refuse to recant and are tortured until they die. When you consider that they are refusing to deny a God who is a fantasy figure who does not exist then the full horror of what religion can do is exposed.

In passing, I see that barriejohn’s buddy, the sainted Aled, is in trouble with his morning TV programme as few people want to watch. I’ve never had the misfortune to see it myself.

Broga: I did see that. I couldn’t understand it! I also read somewhere (can’t find it again now) that Aled’s good friends Elizabeth and Philip told him over tea and cucumber sandwiches that his radio programme was Prince Philip’s favourite. Believe that if you will!

@barriejohn: I have to wonder the extent to which his failed TV programme is given special leeway because he is so blatantly religious.

The Radio Progamme! Well, isn’t that just too sweet and Liz being the head of his church and everything. Aled must have been so so thrilled.

@Eli : So if it’s in the the torah – your bibble – then it’s kosher? There are many, many objectionable things in your bibble – one of which springs to mind is what happens to Lot when he leaves S&G and his poor wife is turned into table salt. So, read on, and what do we find? We find Lot going off with his two daughters into the wilderness, sheltering in a cave and having sex with his two daughters after they get him staggeringly drunk. Is this vivid act of incest also kosher?