When to send for an exorcist

When to send for an exorcist

If someone is ill, call a doctor, but if they are possessed by demons only an exorcist will do.

THOSE were the words spoken this week by a lawyer representing a group of four French people accused of kidnapping and torturing a 19-year-old woman during a shockingly violent crucifixion-style exorcism which lasted seven days.

The lawyer, Jacques Bourdais, said the four  – three men and a woman – had acted in good faith.

To them, she was possessed, that is why they did not call a doctor. You call a doctor when someone is sick, when someone is possessed you exorcise them.

The group, who had been members of the Seventh Day Adventist Church, went on trial on Monday in France. The trial, according to this report, was due to end today.

The four, including the victim’s former boyfriend, were charged with kidnapping, acts of torture and barbarism.

This photo show a woman in being 'exorcised' at a church in London's East End. Click on pic for full report.

This photo shows a pregnant woman being subjected to a violent exorcism by two foreign pastors at a church in London’s East End. Click on pic for full report.

When police discovered the woman at a housing estate in Grigny in the southern Paris suburbs, she was emaciated, dehydrated, in a state of shock and showed signs of having been beaten.

The victim later testified that her captors had kept her alive by feeding her small amounts of oil and water.

Her former boyfriend, Eric Deron, is accused of being the instigator of the assault and, according to prosecutors, had delusions of being a sort of prophet on a divine mission.

According to statements made by the accused, the exorcism was organised after the victim allegedly leapt on Deron whilst babbling incomprehensibly, an attack he took as evidence she had been possessed by the Devil.

The four, all of French Caribbean origin, deny any acts of violence against the woman and say she had consented to the exorcism.

The victm met her alleged assailants three years before the 2011 attack through the Seventh Day Adventists, a US-based millennialist Protestant church which has millions of followers worldwide but only 13,000 in France.

The church says the people involved in the case were all expelled a year before the alleged attack and has stressed that exorcism of this kind cannot be justified by any of its teachings.

In September, The Local reported how terrified residents of Limoux, south-western France, alerted police of a possible murder in progress after hearing blood-curdling screams from a building in the Saint Antoine neighbourhood of the town.

Police officers, arriving at the address in question, however, discovered it was the home of the Evangelical Assembly of the Deliverance.

What greeted them was not a grisly murder scene, or a horrific episode of domestic violence, but rather the church’s pastor, locked in fierce battle with a “demon” which had possessed a member of the congregation.

In March, The Local reported how an eight-year-old boy was left for dead in a hotel carpark, after his father and aunt attempted an exorcism on him, believing he had been possessed by evil spirits.

Said one police officer:

He was forced to hold out his arms and tilt his head back. While his aunt beat him with a bat, his father whipped him with a belt.

• The photo used to illustrate this report shows a pregnant woman being subjected to a violent exorcism by two pastors at a church in London’s East End.

25 Responses to “When to send for an exorcist”

If exorcism is needed it should be on these exorcists. The exorcists enjoy their vile power and there is a sickening sadism inherent in their actions. The suffering of the victims, and particularly children, is hard to contemplate.

Meanwhile politicians, including in the UK, prefer not to know, to look away and not to confront the agonies being daily inflicted. And that includes exorcisms, FGM and the practice of wife beating.

Show me scientific PROOF that a demon is real then we can discuss this, till then you are nothing but a delusional Ahole who likes making people suffer for your delusion. Throw the book at them and put them away!!!! They are criminals! The xtians started behaving after the Enlightenment kicked them. Now they are starting to get the idea that they can be Aholes again (islameic influence??? as they are king of the Aholes)and the various religions need to kicked again and only harder! Too bad I could never be allowed on a jury for this type of crime.

L.Long: The Church of England has always carried out exorcisms. Bilical literalists like the Plymouth Brethren never say when referring to stories about Jesus “casting out demons” that people of that era didn’t realize that the subjects were mentally ill. To them, Satan and his angels are very real entities, and “spiritual warfare” goes on in “heavenly places” all the time; and none of the OT references to “witches” are ever disowned. Cue reference to the late Doreen Irvine, a wicked liar/deluded crackpot whose word was taken as gospel on the subject:

4. jay says:

Alas we have a Supreme Court Justice (Scalia) who actually believes Satan is real (and that there is less demonic activity these days because Satan is getting smarter!)

Not good.

And you have to be careful when buying second-hand clothes. You may well be bringing demons into your home:

6. charlie says:

@jay,
    Yes, we here in the (not so) old US of A are ruled by a gang of morons and idiots, no offense to real morons and idiots intended.
    As the economy here goes down the toilet, look for the crazies to grab more followers, or try to. America, what a country?

According to Huffington Post, “Hostman Pat” is obsessed with demonic activity:

8. Matt+Westwood says:

I refuse to click on a damn HuffPo link ever again. They pop up audio adverts. It is bad enough having to experience damn adverts cluttering up real estate and bandwidth, but it is the height of rudeness to put an advert in place which blares out noisily.

Consequently, HuffPo, you have lost a potential reader. Not that they’d know or care, I’m not even gracing them with a direct complaint, I’m going to complain about them to other people.

They’re rubbish anyway, their journalistic standards are appallingly bad.

Matt: The audio ads appear to run only on the Pat Robertson videos. I know it’s annoying, but you get it increasingly on YouTube as well nowadays, and I’m sure it’s the shape of things to come – as is paying for news!

10. Mark Moore says:

Do you think an exorcism would work on religion?

11. T says:

Look at that photograph. Now it looks to me as if the two gentlemen are rather enjoying the experience of physically assaulting the subject. As exorcists they can grapple, grope, squeeze, paw and rub up against wriggling squirming hysterical women that they have whipped up into a frenzied agitated state. Here we see it again. Yet another case where the gullible are exploited by sly devious hucksters. Another case of sexual deviants getting their gratification justified by, and under the camouflage, of religious belief. The idea seems less tawdry if the exorcists really are just nasty and exploitative. It’s even more repellant if perpetrators really are pious sexually repressed believers getting off and reaching a state of orgasmic bliss whilst doing gods good work. This is the only way deviants can physically molest women without being arrested for sexual assault.

12. […] When someone is ill, call a doctor; if they are possessed by demons only an exorcist will do […]

13. Stephen Mynett says:

@Matt, have you tried Adblock: https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox it gets rid of a lot of advertising junk on the net.

14. Sid says:

“It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” –Mark Twain

15. ExPatriot says:

Here we go again back to the dark ages, it never gets any better, these idiotd need to be put away for a long time. The only demons in this are the asshats doing the exorcisms

16. Barfly says:

When I was a jw we were always warned about buying second hand things as It was possible for demons to gain entrance into your house on them .And the carved African masks that were very popular as they were always destroyed as the were all about demonic influence. I knew more than one family who when experiencing hard times or difficulties would search
    their houses for anything that could have carried demons into the house.

17. Matt+Westwood says:

@Stephen Mynett: No I haven’t. Sounds like a plan.

Matt: http://chromeadblock.org/extensions/block-youtube-ads/

Barfly: Same with the Brethren again. No African art or anything similar, and no horse brasses either (just to be on the safe side!). Even in Paul’s writings there is a blatant contradiction between the idea that idols are nothing, as “false gods” don’t even exist, and the idea that these dark powers are extremely dangerous because they emanate from the pit of hell. Readers are lefy with no resolution to this problem. As I’ve said before, I could never understand why they thought that they were too sophisticated to go in for all that exorcism business yet clearly accepted what the Bible said about demons and witches.

19. Ian says:

apologies if any of you have read this before but it sticks in my throat.

In 1974 I was a service Police officer – one of those nice Road Traffic patrol officers.

One Sunday morning I, and a few others, were turned out to search for a man who was reported to be running through the streets of a nearby town, covered in red paint. My colleague found him in the street a couple of hundred yards from his home; he was covered from head to foot in blood, and was muttering ‘it’s the blood of Satan’, over and over again.

At the home, that he shared with his wife and their two young daughters we found his wife’s body. He had gouged out her eyes, ripped out her tongue and then torn her face from her skull, all with his bare hands.

Some weeks before a friend had persuaded the man and his wife to attend a Christian Fellowship meeting led by a charismatic and, I heard, attractive young woman. He, in spite of being happily married, fell for both the message and woman.

Things got a bit out of hand with both parties blaming the other for the attraction and she was convinced that he was possessed by ‘the Demon of Lust’ and secured the support of an Anglican Priest who by all account ‘was well versed in these matters’. In the meantime his wife becoming worried by her husband’s increasingly bizarre behaviour sent the daughters to her mothers.

The poor sod was persuaded to undergo an exorcism, although he had been to the Drs and prescribed some medication. The morning after the exorcism we were turned out to search for a man running through the street covered in red paint.

At the inquest that followed both the woman and the priest accepted no responsibility whatsoever claiming that they were ‘only doing God’s will’. The Crown Prosecution Service refused to take any action.

As long as religion lasts on this planet we will have problems; and now the AOC is trying to develop the evangelical ‘wing’ of the CofE and the tribe of Rome are doing the same. God help us, if you’ll pardon the expression.

@Ian: Wow! Some story. I have a devout Christian relative whose big ambition in life is to convert me. She pursues me at family gatherings and she usually ends up being very upset at my asking questions she cannot answer. I met her yesterday and her usual response to Christian nastiness is that, “They are not real Christians.” Her version of the “no true Scotsman.”

She now has a “wonderful new vicar” and she “just knew” that if I just talked to him he would “answer all your questions and remove your doubts.” She was drooling over this “wonderful man” and offered to arrange a meeting with me. That would be an interesting discussion.

If he is as intelligent as she says I suspect he is an atheist already. He seems to be about 50 so he is probably stuck with the only job he can do. My relative was “disgusted” at this suggestion.

21. Trevor Blake says:

Jesus said: “When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he saith, I will return unto my house whence I came out. And when he cometh, he findeth it swept and garnished. Then goeth he, and taketh to him seven other spirits more wicked than himself; and they enter in, and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first.” (Luke 11:24-26)

In other words, don’t bother casting out demons because it only makes things worse. Once again, the true sign of Christian faith is an absolute ignorance of all things Christian.

Having said that, Jesus never existed nor has any demon ever existed. The kidnapping and beatings bother me, but so does the ignorance and lies.

22. Ian says:

@Broga: I have a brother, WW2 older than me, who took the other path, he’s been a Methodist lay preacher for decades and found out a few months ago that I’m an atheist. Not a happy bunny, but so far he hasn’t mentioned it and I won’t unless he does. could be interesting.

For the last few months I’ve been tweaking the Protect the Pope website when they spout on about ‘De Debil’ and how he waits. How grown men and women can believe in the 21stC that ‘The Evil One’ is a real entity ‘God only knows’.

@Ian: I never mention religion to my devout cousin but she pursues me. Her husband asked me not to discuss religion with her because afterwards she cannot sleep for a few nights. I’ve told him I’m willing, indeed eager, not to discuss religion and I never initiate the discussion. However, I’m not prepared to stand there being lectured, and that’s what it amounts to, without explaining my views.

I find it curious that the devout so readily assume that atheists must be so wrong when all the facts are on our side and the irrationality on theirs. In fact, their attitude goes beyond that. They often regard atheists as morally flawed and ignorant and in some sense criminal.

I like H.L. Mencken’s brilliant, and very funny, reporting of the Tennessee monkey trial. If I remember rightly he mentions the instant acquisition of scientific knowledge through faith without the inconvenience of years of study for a degree. I think the chief buffoon at the trial said that reading the bible would give you more scientific knowledge than all the scientists in Tennessee – or was it the USA? The same man was ripped to shreds when in the witness box.

24. Ian says:

When he referred to Tennessee he may have been correct :o)

My favourite coffee shop, Mocha Moocho is quite close to Wakefield Cathedral and they get quite a few clerics in there and I’m often ‘tempted’ to engage them, but she who must be obeyed has warned me off!!

A few weeks ago I saw another customer and had to go back in and ask him where he got his T-shirt from: ‘If You’re too stupid to understand science, try Religion’.

Perfect!