WELSH “conservative theologian” Robin A Brace, 69, founder of a dotty outfit called UK Apologetics, has been compiling a list of atheists who have infiltrated the BBC.

He is appalled that:

Robin A Brace

Robin A Brace

These include several among the regiment of sometimes completely shameless ‘alternative comedians’ endlessly promoted by BBC television, and several high-profile homosexual and lesbian presenters.

The crackpot is particularly upset over the way in which:

Prominent atheists have been given encouragement and support by the BBC during the last half-century or so, but especially during the last 10-15 years. It is noticeable that in most any BBC documentary-type programme, whether on history or science, atheism is simply assumed to be the untarnished truth whereas the central tenets of Christianity are assumed to be ‘purely mythical’.

At the top of Brace’s list of godless presenters is:

The young historian Dan Snow, son of Peter Snow, a former TV newsreader and ongoing General Election ‘swing’ pundit. Dan Snow has been given several series on the trot on BBC television, the current one (at the time of writing) being on the influence of the Normans. Snow is an acknowledged atheist even though he has spoken in glowing terms of the positive educational influence of the early Christian monks on the Celts.

Brace’s list includes Sir David Starkey, Joan Bakewell, Stephen Fry, Sir Alan Sugar, Jeremy Clarkson, Nigella Lawson, Sir Michael Parkinson, Dame Helen Mirren and Sir Terry Wogan but:

That is not the total of it. I can think of at least another 25 or so top BBC television personalities whom – I believe –  are atheists but I can find no confessions of such by them so I do not name them.

I stumbled on Brace’s list after learning that Dan Snow is to host an alternative Remembrance Sunday service for atheists.

The event, to be held at Conway Hall in London next Sunday, a week before the official ceremony, is intended to provide a “neutral space” for those who feel alienated by the religious aspects of the traditional ceremony.

Snow said:

There are humanist alternatives to all the things that religion has co-opted such as marriage, death and welcoming someone to adulthood. But the one thing I haven’t been to is a non-religious remembrance service.

Dan Snow

Dan Snow

The presenter, who describes himself as a “passionate atheist”, said the event will be “Godless” rather than “anti-God”. He has been looking for a way to mark the occasion since his grandfather, who served in the war, passed away two years ago.

Last year Dan Snow was a guest of Michael Berkeley on a BBC Remembrance Sunday programme.

Also in 2012, Peter Thompson, Director of the Centre for Ernst Bloch Studies at the University of Sheffield and an atheist, wrote in the Guardian:

… Despite having served in the army I can’t bring myself to support Remembrance Sunday because behind the facade of concern and mourning for the hundreds of thousands of dead, there is actually a militarisation and sanctification by church, state and monarchy which allows us to actually forget that war is a highly political act carried out for highly political aims not usually in the interests of those who suffer most from its consequences.

Meanwhile we learned that Dorset Humanists are expected to take part in Bournemouth’s Remembrance Day Service this year.

Henry Cummins

Henry Cummins

It all began when the fledgling United Kingdom Armed Forces Humanist Association (UKAFHA) asked the British Humanist Association (BHA), though its local groups, to campaign for those of no religion to be included in Remembrance Day Services across the country and to lay wreaths on its behalf.

UKAFHA is a growing body of servicemen and women, their families, veterans and civilian members of the Ministry of Defence who seek to represent the interests of all those who subscribe to non-religious beliefs. It was formed by Lt Col Henry Cummins who joined the Army in 1986 and The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards in 1987.

He became an atheist as a result of his experience of sectarian and inter-ethnic violence in Kosovo between 1999 and 2001, and discovered humanism shortly thereafter.

Dorset Humanists said on their website:

We are, at the time of writing, one of two groups (the other is Oxford Humanists) who have achieved this seemingly small but very significant concession. The BHA and UKAFHA are delighted and will encourage other local groups to do the same.

The BHA is campaigning to get inclusion in the national ceremony at the Cenotaph though to date, Government ministers have stubbornly refused.

Hat tip: Agent Cormac

21 Responses to “The BBC has been hijacked by atheists, says lunatic Welsh ‘theologian’ Robin A Brace”

1. Ivan says:

This loon needs to get together with Conservative Party chairman Grant Shats.

2. mrspock says:

Hmm. Brace and Shats. A couple of poos?

3. mrspock says:

Alas, Shapps it is.

Its been a while since I was in England listening to the various BBC medias, but so there are atheists, and this has stopped him from preaching, exactly HOW? And this has stopped any religious programs on the BBC??

5. Canada Dave says:

“atheism is simply assumed to be the untarnished truth whereas the central tenets of Christianity are assumed to be ‘purely mythical’”

Funny …..a true and logical statement from a believer.
    Next thing you know he will be one of us.

6. JohnMWhite says:

People not exactly like me exist? The nerve of them!

7. remigius says:

Next thing you know he will be one of us.

One of us! One of us! Gooble gobble! One of us!

‘A non-religious remembrance service’ – Good for Dan Snow! How many soldiers must have cursed god as they bled to death for no good reason (especially in the 1914-18 war) and then have sanctimonious holy piss sprinkled over their bones…

This christian fool obviously doesn’t watch or listen to much of the BBC’s output which, as we know, is overburdened with a disproportionate amount of religious tosh. This prat sounds like he wants a theocracy.

What they mean is that superstitious beliefs don’t have the hold over people that they once did, and are not generally afforded the respect that they once had, and they don’t like it. It’s 2013, not 1013!

This is very interesting, from the NSS site this morning:

Excellent news this. This bigot, like many others, knows that religion is on the wane. Reminds me of the lines from “Dover Beach” by Matthew Arnold and one of my favourite poems. Arnold concluded, as I read the poem, that all he could rely on was love.

“The Sea of Faith
    Was once, too, at the full, and round earth’s shore
    Lay like the folds of a bright girdle furled.
    But now I only hear
    Its melancholy, long, withdrawing roar,”

It is encouraging, also, to hear of the rise in atheism in the military and the scepticism about what is really happening at the “remembrance” at the Cenotaph. All the usual suspects will be there, dressed up, mouthing the usual words. When Siegfried Sassoon exposed the way WW1 was being prolongued to benefit the arms millionaires he was locked up as a loony. Plus ca change…….

13. Peter Black says:

Most bizarre. What did Dan Snow do in 2010 to to be particularly singled out by this nutter? I mean, of all the people to choose… Dan Snow?

14. The Woggler says:

Several high-profile homosexuals? Ah, yes. Gone are the days when the BBC played host to red-blooded macho men like Kenneth Williams, Frankie Howerd, John Inman and Larry Grayson.

Mr Brace probably pines for the days when TV presenters were virtuous, highly moral men. There were those who never would dream of committing gross acts against children (Jimmy Saville and Stuart Hall). And there were ardent anti-racists like Jim Davidson.

15. chrsbol says:

but I can find no confessions of such by them so I do not blame them.

What an absolute cock! So being an atheist is something that one has to confess to now.

16. Stuart H. says:

I had some experience of the political loons who keep government-run military remembrance religious a few years back when I helped some old atheist vets, including the late Denys Drower, (one of the oldest Freethinker contributors) with a little cammpaign.
    Denys served in the desert in WWII, and modestly suggested the organisers of an Armed Forces Day should, instead of having a church service complete with 5 hymns, a sermon from a bishop and even gold-leaf on the order of service pamphlets, cut back to, say, two hymns and a quick prayer and then pile the public funds saved into tea, buns and maybe some Glenn Miller or Vera Lynn at a gathering for vets and their families.
    A pompous brigadier who replied on behalf of the committee tried the old ‘I’ve seen no atheists in foxholes’ line. Denys promptly replied that that would be because the brigadier, like the other chinless wonders on his committee, had never been in a foxhole or seen a shot fired in anger while Denys and his atheist chums all had.
    We didn’t win, but it was fun seeing genuine war vets briefly putting these chocolate fireguards in their place.

17. charlie says:

In the imperial war in Vietnam, neither myself nor any of my fellow Marines ever prayed during a firefight. If we had, we’d be dead for sure. No atheists in foxholes is total BS.

18. JohnMWhite says:

@barriejohn – That was a wonderful letter. It really gets to the heart of the matter of religious education, that no child should be forced to participate in and absorb religious messages simply to attend a ‘good school’ or be among their friends and peers. And frankly, despite the statistics that show Catholic schools in Scotland tend to achieve better academically, I don’t think grades alone a good school make. People here may be familiar with my numerous rants about the violence and cruelty of my own Catholic education, and the apathy of educators who were only interested in maintaining authority and looking good on paper.

I note that Ms. Wikman of Edinburgh name-drops one Michael McGrath, and let’s just say I am well acquainted with his brand of bullshit justifying the dogmatic rule of children and calling it a good education. This is a guy who looked me in the eye as a child and told me that bullying is a fact of life, and that was not euphemistic language.

JMW: “I don’t think grades alone a good school make.”

I attended the same “excellent” Southampton junior school as my unfortunate father, who cried himself to sleep every night, and even had some of the same sadisitc teachers; though being one of the brighter pupils my time under their tutelage was not an unhappy one. They achieved their reults by viciously beating children day after day – especially the less academically gifted; and up to half the intake went on to grammar school (ie “passed” an IQ test called the Eleven Plus). Anyone who knows anything about education will realize how ludicrous this situation was. Our education was extremely narrow – concentrating upon the sort of English and Maths questions with which we would be confronted in said examination. It wasn’t a church school, although one year was spent at an annexe which had been a church school, and where religion was rammed down our throats daily. The whole ethos was unashamedly “christian”. My first grammar school (maintained, I believe, and now independent) was not much better in many repects, with a strong Quaker ethos, and it was only when I left school and met other students, many from excellent secondary modern and comprehensive schools, that I realized how lacking my education had been. Yet Simon Heffer and his ilk would have us believe that the grammar school system was wonderful and has never been surpassed!

‘Religious observance equates to religious indoctrination’ how right that is. At last good Scot’s common sense is starting to kick religion into the dust of history. Long live a secular Scotland!